Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #136
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post

So far, I have looked at doing 7d/6n at POP with DDP and it was close to $5,000, with park hopper tickets.

I have not done the full price of booking 2 Value Studios at AKV, except that through a DVC rental, it would be about $1,500 for room only.

Are the family suits in POP full kitchen or just micro, sink and mini fridge? What about the value studios at AKV?

Our other option is that my husband would qualify for the Shades of Green in September and January (Veteran, but not Disabled or retired).

We are wanting to stay on site, if possible, because of the youngest two napping in the afternoon and using the afternoon to explore the pools vs in the park.

We are used to doing Cedar Point, we usually get there during passholder hour early (so like 9-10 am) and then leave around 2; then go back about 6-7 (after dinner) till park close...each day we are there for a full day...
Pop doesn't have family suites. Art of Animation and All Star Music do. The AK Villa Studios don't have stoves or in-room laundry - only 1-2 BR units. Have you considered a 1BR unit? Or, you could get 2 Value Resort regular rooms vs a Value Resort family suite.

Here is a layout of the All Star Music family suite: It's got a microwave, not stove. No in-room laundry. It does have 2 full baths. http://www.mousesavers.com/family-su...-music-resort/

Here is the layout of the Art of Animation family suites: http://www.mousesavers.com/best-valu...els/#valueplus

Here's a look at Fort Wilderness Cabins for 6. (Layout on page 2): http://yourfirstvisit.net/2009/10/26...erness-resort/

General info on large family accommodations: http://yourfirstvisit.net/2010/12/22...resort-hotels/

You can google "xxxxx resort room layout" to get diagrams to help you.

Shades of Green is a nice hotel, the rooms are gigantic. You need a Junior Suite to take six people. Cost $250. This would be higher than Disney choices available to you. At SOG, you could take their transportation or walk to Poly and get Disney buses and monorail from there. I like this resort, except not elaborate food choices. But your young family is probably not concerned with "dining."
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #137
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormania
I do wonder how some of you are doing Disney for only $2000 or so. For our small family of 3 airfare alone is at least $1000. If we drove it would be 16 hrs each way and a total of over $700 in gas so flying is a no brainer. Tickets for the 3 of us is another $1000 (8 day parkhoppers). So we are at $2000 already and still need a place to sleep and food to eat. We are doing the DDP but I figure if we went OOP we could save a little but it would be close to a wash so there is another $900. We are renting points to stay at AKV but that cost isn't significantly more than staying at the All Star resorts for a much better place to stay. So we easily will be spending over $4000 and that's not counting PhotoPass+ or souvenirs.

And this includes planning ahead, looking for discounts and no wasted spending.

Props to those that can do it for half that but I simply can't figure out how you can unless you have APs and living within 8 hrs driving distance or have free airline miles for tickets.

Do love the stories of those friends and family that are doing WDW wrong and then complain about it though.
We do a 13 hour drive each way (with stops making it 16ish) and we only spend about $400-450 in our mini van or SUV. Are you sure on your gas estimate? If so, I agree flying is a no-brainer. If not maybe you should look into driving.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #138
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT

You should take the daughter with you on the next trip! She can help with the baby and you can help her have a better vacation.
So I did some more looking into this...
I would love to take her with us... She would be a huge help..
But the real problem is, she has an older sister 17 ( special needs) an although she not a big disney fan, it just wouldn't be fair..

And I wouldn't even know how to bring it up to my friend..

" I know you hate WDW, but I want to take your DD." :-(

I'm open to suggestions on this tho!

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #139
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie

So I did some more looking into this...
I would love to take her with us... She would be a huge help..
But the real problem is, she has an older sister 17 ( special needs) an although she not a big disney fan, it just wouldn't be fair..

And I wouldn't even know how to bring it up to my friend..

" I know you hate WDW, but I want to take your DD." :-(

I'm open to suggestions on this tho!
Just complain to your friend about how hard it is to travel with the baby, then, in the middle of complaining say "hey! I just got an idea! If your DD would be willing to cone with us, she could help me with the baby!"
Voila! The older sister isn't being left out because you're sort of "hiring" the other DD, not just taking her on a vacation. And your friend doesn't get insulted.

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #140
Sur
Love the Dis

I'm not too happy with you quoting me on the DIS boards!!

just kidding

I have friends that never seem satisfied either.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #141
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

I totally understand

Some people just don't like planning vacations. My mom is one of them. I'm taking her to WDW next year (first time for us) and I'm doing ALL the planning. I love to plan and research and learn about the places I visit...it's like starting the vacation early! And because money is an issue, I want to get the most out of my vacation dollar so I learn as much as I can. But planning would stress her out...she gets overwhelmed instead of just breaking it down into manageable chunks. So I do it, enjoy it and all I ask is that she learn what the attractions are so she can weigh in with what she wants to do. And when we go, all the $ will be saved in advance and we are going to go BIG!

On the $ subject, I have a friend who says they want to take their two young kids to Disneyland.

Me: When are you going?
Her: We don't know...we haven't started saving.
Me: Oh. (Silence.)

We had this conversation a couple times because I'm super excited for them to go and she keeps saying they want to go but doesn't save. Instead, she pins all her hopes on winning the yearly Disney vacation giveaway at her husbands work. Hey, I get that people have different priorities for money and vacationing and different $$ items that come up...bills and such, but it boils down to how bad you want it. If you don't care that much about going, you won't make saving for it a priority. Even if you're next to broke and it takes years, if ya want it bad enough you'll save and eventually get there. But my friend will never get there if she doesn't start saving!

The weirdest thing is that I asked them how much they thought it would cost and they said $3,000 and described what they wanted to do. But when I costed it out on my own I could do the same trip for $1,800 - same time, same kind of tix, transportation, decent hotel, 3 meals a day, everything. But ultimately it's their business and their money and I want to stay friends. So now I just drop it.

I'm also with the poster who said they don't understand why people complain it's expensive. Just heard from a friend who came back from D-land and was grousing about the food costing a lot. Duh! Find out what the prices are like before you go and save up enough $ so you can eat without complaining. Expect "State Fair" prices and be grateful the food is of better quality than it was when I was a kid. If you don't have the $, either wait to go until you do, or go somewhere cheaper, like camping.

Last edited by Gamegrl1; 02-25-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added two comments to 1st paragraph re: $
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #142
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Yankee View Post
It really does come down to this: Disney is not for everyone. If on your vacation you like to sleep in, be totally spontaneous (read: no planning ahead), and lounge around a beach or pool all day, then you should consider going somewhere else. That's not a criticism - that's just how some people roll and that is totally fine. We have had some vacations so laid back that dressing up for dinner means wearing the "good" flip flops.

When we go to Disney, however, that is a totally different experience. There are so many things to do and so much to see that you can't just show up and fly by the seat of your pants. That essentially guarantees an awful time. You could buy a nice hi-def tv or a decent used car for the price of some Disney vacations. I'm sure anyone buying a car or a tv would do at least some research and comparison shopping first to make sure they were getting the best value. For some reason, though, people just can't be bothered to put that same amount of forethought into their Disney vacation. I can't figure that out.

Thanks to proper planning, utilizing EMH and vigiliance with the FP system, each time we have gone to WDW we generally waited no longer than 20 - 30 minutes for any ride. The only exceptions were when a ride broke down while we were in line and when Fast Passes ran out for Toy Story Mania. During EMH, we were able to just walk on most rides - MULTIPLE times.

I advise anyone who is going to WDW for the first time to buy a good travel guide and learn as much as they can ahead of time and know what to expect. The unofficial one should practically be read cover to cover. Also signing up for various Disney newsletters and checking out sites like this one are great ways to get tips and information about The World. Some people just don't like the idea of having to do "homework" about their vacation.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a bit of reason and common sense! There is a fair amount of "I don't get people who don't get Disney World" attitude here. But we have to remember that all of our knowledge, information, insight and tricks of the trade were accumulated over years and years (decades even) of visits, many of which were done 'back in the day' when going to WDW was far easier than it is today. (Remember the 30 day cutoff for Priority Seating?) Going to WDW today does take planning. Many of the people who have become fodder for the funny stories here are probably perfectly capable of doing said planning, but either they choose not to, or have a hard time believing the advice of the commandos giving it, and learn the hard way. For many, planning a vacation should not be the equal of planning the Normandy Invasion. Yet we have folks here who admit to planning years in advance using spread sheets, Power Point presentations, laminated itineraries, and the like. (And I mean no offense, as I do some of these things as well. My DW has to double-check my minute by minute daily plans to make sure that we have built in time to breathe and go to the bathroom. ) But look at this from the other side. If someone came to you with guides, Power Point presentations, spreadsheets and calendars marked out more than 180 days to help you plan a vacation to somewhere you had never been, my guess is that you would either reconsider going to that place, or would take only half of the advice offered, figuring that the person who was trying to help you out was certifiable and going way beyond what was necessary. In the end, you might have a lousy time and face the "I told you so's" of your (former) friend.

Just imagine if you will that you had never been to WDW before and you had never heard of:
  • FD
  • RD
  • FP
  • FP+
  • M&Gs
  • ADRs
  • Pin Codes
  • EMHs
  • Hoppers
  • TiW
and I am really just scratching the surface. And then, a friend advised you that you really need to be familiar with and employ most of these things in order to maximize your vacation. And not only that. You really have to have a good bit of this mapped out before you arrive, and in many cases, 180+ days out. Don't you think that this would deter you from going even just a little bit? And if it didn't, wouldn't you be tempted to say: "It can't be that bad. I'm sure we will do fine by winging it." People who make that choice are not really the proper subject of our ridicule, scorn and humor. And when they come back and say that they had a lousy time, all we can or should say is that vacations to WDW are not vacations in the traditional sense and that they require a lot of advance planning and coping strategies. If they would like any assistance in the future, we'd be happy to give it. But if the expectation is that one can simply kick back and relax and still get the most out of what WDW has to offer, then perhaps a different style of vacation is in order.

Last edited by JimmyV; 02-25-2013 at 01:26 PM.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #143
Gamegrl1
Mouseketeer

The eye-rollers

I know another person who has DVC and goes every single year for 2.5 weeks. I used to say "You go every year?" and think that was so weird. We haven't been yet but I have been studying up on all WDW has to offer and reading these boards and now...I get it.

Unfortunately, quite a number of people I know think I'm weird for counting down the days until our trip (335!), but those are the people who've never been. All the people who've been there express varying degrees of pleasure and excitement - they're happy for us. I'm from the west coast so I think another factor is that a lot of people I know have only ever been to Disneyland, not WDW and I'm learning that it's like comparing apples to oranges. They have no concept of it so I get the eye-rolls and head shakes and weird looks. It's super-annoying but I just remind myself that when we're on vacation for a week, having a total blast, they'll be at work/home/school ...the daily grind!

The MouseJunkies always understand.
Gamegrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #144
michsig
DIS Veteran

If you know how to plan sufficiently and navigate, people wouldn't experience this!
June 2010 - CSR
July 1999 - Villas at Disney Institute
May 1991 - Offsite
michsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #145
mouseaddictoldschool
Earning My Ears

not sure if anyone said this yet,

but whenever coworkers or friends say they can't believe we go so much and that they're never going back, I say..."good".

after the puzzled look, I reply.."one less person in line in front of me. Thanks for thinking of me!"
mouseaddictoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #146
Lorilais_mommie

Comparing -annual trip to the "lake" vs. trip to WDW
Food is about the same for us.. any place we would go, raises prices just like disney does!
So unless you are planning to eat more then you normally do.. Food shouldn't run you anymore at disney then it does when you go to the "lake"
If you would buy grocery for the "lake" then do so for WDW.. There is no rule you have to eat in the parks..

The other thing that people don't seem to add into the price of there non-disney trips is the rental car and/or gas
For those that go to the "lake" or for us here in New England "the cape"
BASIC Rental car for the week $300-$400 plus gas..
At disney we don't need to rent a car.. Disney picks us up and drops us off..

Lots to do... I know for a fact I will never hear out of my DD month "I'm bored" when we are at disney!
"Lake" good for maybe a day or two...

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #147
Lorilais_mommie

One more thing.. It's a biggie!

At disney.. Everyone is off the phones/iPods/ and other non-family approved devices... ( they get left in the room... And no one cares!)

Tv is only turned on in the room, why we are getting ready in the morning for mickey cartoons!( kids are normally dressed before we are)
and when we get back to room after our day to check the weather for the next day!

I love not having my kids be zombies in front of the TV!
Granted they only get two hours per day at home...

But everytime we go somewhere else after two days... Out comes the Handheld games, iPods, and TV is on ALL day!
Tell them to go outside, all i hear is "but is sooooo boring! "

Disney is our place to get UNPLUGGED..

Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #148
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

With My Disney Experience it is going to be unplugged anymore
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #149
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

Sorry it is going to be hard to be unplugged anymore
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #150
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
Lots to do... I know for a fact I will never hear out of my DD month "I'm bored" when we are at disney!
I heard "I'm bored" from my 7 year old drama queen while we were at WDW. I said, "OK, we'll leave and go back to the hotel and go home tomorrow." That put an end to that quickly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: