Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Petrus4DCL
Earning My Ears

Where to stay before your cruise.

If you don't arrive too late, staying in Cocoa Beach has its advantages. The Marriott and Hampton Inn (Free Buffet Breakfast at Hampton) offer parking and shuttle to the port. They also have a nice walking path to the beach. Cocoa Beach is interesting in itself. Take a trip to Ron Jon. Being that close to the ship you can have a more relaxed morning getting ready to go as well.
Petrus4DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
We were initially going to stay at a Disney Resort until I discovered its further from the Port and the buses leave later. Since we have an 11am PAT, I'd like to get as much time on the boat as possible. So we decided to stay at the MCO Hyatt and take the first DCL bus out of the airport.
Does anyone know what time the DCL busses start from the Hyatt? Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
jlbeard
Earning My Ears

We are booked at the Country Inn and Suites at MCO, for the night before, and we'll take their shuttle back over to the airport in the morning to catch the Magical Express out to the port.

jlbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
Laurie26739
Live and breathe Disney

Radisson

Radisson for us. Free transportation from Orlando airport to the hotel and it only cost less than $10 to be dropped off at the ship. Saved us from renting a car following our flight.
Laurie26739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
joech
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom Kidnai for us. We are still debating if we should stay closer to port. We will be arrived one day prior to the cruise and we will have our car rental for 2 weeks. Our traditon is to go to Downtown Disney for dinner once we picked up our car rental at MCO. I figured it is not a big deal to drive an hour to port the next morning and pay the $75 for parking. The shuttle from Comfort Inn would cost us $40 for 4 of us if we were to stay there for the free cruise and stay package.

1st DCL Oct 13-17
2013 Oct 12 -26 AKV Kidani (1st DCL Oct 13-17)
2012 Dec 22- Jan 3 AKV Kidani
2011 July 13-27 AKV Kidani
2010 Dec 25-30 Disneyland
2009 July 12-24 AKV Kidani
2008 Dec 25-Jan 4 AKV (1st trip home)Christmas 2008 AKV First Trip Home Report with Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2036527
2008 May 23-26 DVC Getaway Days Travel Expo
2007 Dec 15-29 AKL
2007 March 29-Apr 4 AKL/Contemporary
joech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
Does anyone know what time the DCL busses start from the Hyatt? Thanks!
When I did this in December they asked us to be back in the boarding area around 9:15 (we never left the area) and I think it was around 9:30 they started loading the first bus and it left shortly after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie26739 View Post
Radisson for us. Free transportation from Orlando airport to the hotel and it only cost less than $10 to be dropped off at the ship. Saved us from renting a car following our flight.
Thanks for sharing! I wasn't aware they offered a free shuttle from MCO to the hotel! Something to consider down later...

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
lark
DIS Veteran

We've done the Country Inn and Suites and the Hyatt MCO. The latter is better, but was too expensive last time. The CIS is easy. Very short shuttle ride, nice hotel, and only 15,000 Club Carlson points for a free night, which are very easy to earn.

As of two weeks ago, the first bus left MCO at 9:30. It's just a podium now, not a full check in. We didn't know that they no longer give boarding passes at MCO and instead everything is tied to the port arrival time you select online. It's lucky we are type A and got the 11:00 a.m. boarding time even though we didn't think we needed it. (There really ought to be a sticky about this -- there were definitely some people surprised they would be sitting around the terminal and didn't get an early boarding time by virtue of taking the transfer.)
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

our flight comes in late the night before our trip so we are staying at the Hyatt MCO

Nikisha421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
We've done the Country Inn and Suites and the Hyatt MCO. The latter is better, but was too expensive last time. The CIS is easy. Very short shuttle ride, nice hotel, and only 15,000 Club Carlson points for a free night, which are very easy to earn.

As of two weeks ago, the first bus left MCO at 9:30. It's just a podium now, not a full check in. We didn't know that they no longer give boarding passes at MCO and instead everything is tied to the port arrival time you select online. It's lucky we are type A and got the 11:00 a.m. boarding time even though we didn't think we needed it. (There really ought to be a sticky about this -- there were definitely some people surprised they would be sitting around the terminal and didn't get an early boarding time by virtue of taking the transfer.)
We also got an 11am PAT, but are you saying they made people wait for a later DCL bus, or they could still get on an early bus out of MCO but then would have to wait at the port? Have they been strict about sticking to the PATs and allowing (or not allowing) people to enter the port early?

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
lark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
We also got an 11am PAT, but are you saying they made people wait for a later DCL bus, or they could still get on an early bus out of MCO but then would have to wait at the port? Have they been strict about sticking to the PATs and allowing (or not allowing) people to enter the port early?
They let you board the bus without regard to your PAT and they let everyone who comes by bus enter the terminal without regard to your PAT -- at least they did with the first bus. However, they are pretty inflexible about enforcing PATs once you get to the terminal. Your boarding number is based solely on your PAT.

We went with another family that had checked in a couple of days before the cruise, and so they had a 3:00 or 3:30 PAT. We had 11:00 or 11:30 -- can't remember. They let all of us board the 9:30 bus and they let all of us in the terminal when we arrived and before the opened the terminal to others, but they were pretty hardcore about boarding numbers. Eventually, we talked them into letting our friends be in our boarding group (like 11 or something). We got lucky -- our reservations were linked by our TA and we used that to argue we should all be able to board together. They made an exception, but seemed pretty willing to make our friends sit around if it had come to that. They were unmoved by the explanation that when we selected PATs, the old procedure (boarding cards at MCO) was still in place.

I'm actually not all that sure how much it would have mattered, though. The boarding was rapid. Boarding started around 11:15 and boarding group 11 was called within 20 minutes or so. Apparently, once the terminal empties out, they will let anyone board, not matter what your number, and the PATs make it so the terminal isn't quite so crowded. I think our friends would have been able to board by a little after noon anyway.

So, if you end up with a late PAT, you may still be able to get on board early by virtue of taking the bus, just because they will let you enter the terminal if you take the bus -- at least, they will for now.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake View Post
Currently looking to book the Hyatt Orlando, but wondering if I should stay closer to the port.
We stayed at Four Points Sheraton in Cocoa Beach. It is right next to the Ron Jon Surf Shop and a short walk to the beach. We liked it so much we are staying there again for our next cruise.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
4 DZNY NUTZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lorax View Post
We stayed at the Hampton Inn our last cruise. Booked the Fly, Snooze & Cruise package. Included all transfers to and from MCO and the cruise terminal. Standard hotel with ocean views with direct beach access via a short path.
Thanks for this info!! We were deciding if we wanted to stay at the airport and use DCL buses or if we wanted to stay closer. We will definetly be using the package and staying there. How was the shuttle to an from the airport?

November 2014 -Disney Dream
February 2013 -POFQ & Disney Dream - Our First Cruise!!!
December 2011 - All Star Music - 2nd Honeymoon
November 2010 - All Star Sports
November 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
February 2008 - All Star Music
February 2007 - Pop Century
February 2006 - All Star Sports
March 2005 - Off Site
February 1994 - Off Site
June 1992 - Off Site
1972 thru 1982 - Off Site
4 DZNY NUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
mattcrimson
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie26739
Which Radisson did you book?
All Star Sports 2007-All Star Sports 2008-All Star Sports 2009-Pop Century 2011-Boardwalk 2012-Pop Century 2013-Boardwalk 2013 Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge 2014-Disney Dream & Port Orleans Riverside
mattcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #29
TARIE7291
TARIE7291

In the past we used to stay at a WDW resort, but the last cruise in October 2012 we stayed at CI&S at the port. It was convenient to stay at the port but the hotel was just ok. I've stayed at much nicer CI&S at other locations. The free breakfast was not very good either. Again I've had better at other CI&S or competitor hotels. We are cruising again this May and may give the Holiday Inn Express a try.
TARIE7291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
FAIREST1OFALL
DVC Member, DL and WDW AP, DCL newbie

We stayed at the Country Inn as well the night before we cruised. It was clean and the owners were extremely friendly. I'd stay there again pre-cruise.

We stayed at the Hyatt at MCO the night before we flew home. Our room was lovely and the bed was very comfortable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: