Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #136
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero
When I first saw this, I had to laugh because I'm so used to seeing the opposite sort of thread: "is there anything for adults to do on a Disney cruise?" Part of human nature is that we need "down time", even away from the kids. At home, parents usually have their own rooms or other opportunities to be adults when the kids are busy or asleep or doing other things. That's a bit harder to do in a small stateroom, so they've created other places where adults can be adults.

It's also worth pointing out that some of the adults-only spaces, particularly the clubs, are truly only adults-only after 9pm. During the day, they're family areas.
When OP started this thread, there were a couple of heated threads going on complaining about kids being in adult areas. If you haven't been on a Disney ship before, I could see how it would seem that there are many more adult only areas than there actually are.

I like your take on this and the way you explained it. Even those of us who do like to spend a lot of time with our kids usually have our own bedrooms.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #137
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
Some way to turn a thread into one big argument. Bahahahaha... oh live and let live. We're cruisin' baby!! With children, without children, awesome and absent grandparents alike -- give me a fruity drink, sun and sea, it's all good to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaTia View Post
Well, I am sorry, but I do feel like this was somewhat rude. I do NOT have kids and I am a Disney Cruise Line Platinum Member - which means I have been on more than 10 Disney cruises. I love Disney World, Adventures By Disney and Disney Cruise Line! I love the wonderful service, and feel like no one does it better than Disney, so why bother! I went on my honeymoon to WDW and go back several times a year, WITHOUT KIDS! This makes me so upset who feel like Disney is just for Children - it is so NOT! Wonderful restaurants and hotels, cruise ships included! I very much appreciate the fact that Disney is for everyone and they recognize that! I just got back last month from DCL with my mom, and aunt and uncle (all 60+) and they loved it! My best friend also agrees and she has children - Disney World and Disney Cruise Line is so much more fun without the kids! That is why we have 8 adults going on a Disney Cruise in May and she is leaving the kids at home! To enjoy the Adults Only area on the ship! I could also say that Deck 5 and the Mickey Pool is a waste of my money, but I am glad it is there for those with kids to enjoy - just not me! Also, I have cruised on Carnival and it was terrible - without designated kid areas, the kids went all over the ship and in the adult areas - pools, bar district, everywhere! With Disney, they keep the kids out of the adult areas, so we can enjoy that! It is best to have different areas IMO. Plus, sometimes I wonder if it is just too much on kids on WDW and DCL trips, they get so overly tired. I wouldn't really consider taking children to either until they were about 10 so they could really enjoy it all.

Also, I love Serenity Bay too!! No other cruise line can compare to that!

DCL is for kids AND adults of all ages!

WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #138
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
I have been cruising for 8 years with my son and every cruise I have been neglected like you
Ditto.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #139
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
I don't get it... I'm going with my KIDS on a DISNEY cruise... why are there so many adult sections and restaurants on the ship? My kids want to spend the whole time with us and I feel like it cuts off part of the boat for us...

Am I the only one who is confused by this? If you want adults-only why don't you go on a Royal Caribbean cruise?

Ethan
My sister and I cruise together. We are two adults and we absolutely love the Disney Cruises. We don't drink alcohol, we don't gamble and we love Disney. We love meeting the characters but we adore the adult pool and night club areas too. There are a small number of adult areas when compared to general areas of the ship. Even though we love the "family" feel of the ship, it's nice to be able to spend time in the adult sections too. I also have alot of food allergies (17 and counting) and Disney (both cruise and park) are amazing with this aspect.

It is up to each individual family to decide what works for them. You don't have to access the adult areas or the kids clubs if you don't want to.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess

Last edited by Disney_Princess83; 06-23-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #140
melissalee
Mouseketeer

I think adults like to go alone because of the service Disney provides. I have never had service on RCL or Carnival like I have ha on Disney. My husband and I loved it for our HM. The ship is like 80% for kids and families. It's only nightclub, one tiny pool, and 2 higher end restaurants the kids are not allowed. I don't think that's a lot.
melissalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #141
mpetersen
Mouseketeer

We did both our honeymoon and "babymoon" on disney, all because of the service. With all the cruise horror stories out there , there is something comforting and safe about disney that let's me relax a bit. It's familiar- you know what you'll get. I'm also a huge huge kid at heart. Yes we pay more and there are kiddos all over the place but it's just magic being made, the same that we'll make with my son on his first cruise in feb

mpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #142
cruisingtwins
Mouseketeer

At first I did not get it either as me as an adult have very little interest in Disney things. For our family Disney is about the kids. When I first came to the boards I was really surprised at all the adult only trips. People like what they like and adults are not hurting anybody with their disney love.

When I cruised the adult areas did not take from our experience one bit. I do wish they had an are like the kids clubs but for families. We are not a drop off kind of family either and that seemed to limit what our kids could do.

I have to say that in the parks it did bother me a bit more. We were on the carrousel one day and I was at the head of the horse asking to my dd if she wanted that one and a 50 yo lady came from the back and jumped on it. On the parades adults block the view for little kid etc.

I wish some of the rides were adults only permitted if accompanied by a kid like some parks have. I think that would allow little kids to ride more times their favorite rides.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #143
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalee View Post
I think adults like to go alone because of the service Disney provides. I have never had service on RCL or Carnival like I have ha on Disney. My husband and I loved it for our HM. The ship is like 80% for kids and families. It's only nightclub, one tiny pool, and 2 higher end restaurants the kids are not allowed. I don't think that's a lot.
I think this statement pretty well sums it up for us, as well. We genuinely enjoy the service and the little extra touches Disney provides. My DW's brother used to work at WDW, so we know how things are supposed to be and what Disney expects. As a result, we expect a lot from DCL, and they deliver consistently.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #144
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Wow, talk about resurrecting a 16-month old thread ....
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #145
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalee View Post
BINGO! Disney is NOT just for kids, and families come in all shapes, sizes, and make-ups!!

And yes, when people hear Disney, they expect a certain level of service. And I'm not talking about the big things - little things too. Like being announced when you board. Being able to serve yourself at the buffets from the moment you step on board. Having world-class shows that (whether you care for the show itself - I just flat out didn't like Villains Tonight...they could have done so much more with a Villains show IMHO) are spectacularly produced. First-run movies in an actual theatre!! So many little things that all add up to make it the experience it is!

And the overall feel of the ships!! How classic and beautiful they are!! I am going to Alaska at the end of July on Holland America's Westerdam because I'm going with a group my running coach and her husband are leading, and for whatever reason they go with HAL to Alaska (I think they use Royal for their Caribbean Islands one...). And honestly while I'm pumped about Alaska and the people I'll be with, I want to cry every time I see pictures - some very recent. For a line that claims to be all about "elegance" and all that jazz, the decor is just gross! I had to make myself stop rewatching the DCL special focusing on the Dream just so I'll have a little more space between what is truly classic and what is only playing at it. (Granted, my opinion. Some people think HAL's ships look lovely - from the outside they do, but the inside...I just find gaudy.)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #146
ShellB8585
Mouseketeer

I would be interested to know if the OP ever did decide to take a cruise and what their verdict was/is?

FWIW my family currently consists of 2 - Myself and DH and we love Disney cruises and whilst we haven't used the "adult only" spaces a lot we do appreciate they are there. I am fairly certain we will appreciate them more if/when we have our own children
Southern Caribbean ~ Disney Wonder ~ January 2016

1998 - 2012 ~ 9 visits to WDW
January 2010 ~ Honeymoon Disneyland
2011 - 2012 ~ 2 visits to DLP

7 Night Eastern Caribbean ~ Disney Magic ~ 14 Jan 2012
4 Night Mediterranean ~ Disney Magic ~ 9 July 2013

Shelley DH Carl

ShellB8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #147
Momof2inCT
Earning My Ears

We've cruised with DCL three times over the last three years and have noticed a decrease in the all-ages family friendly activities available on the ship.

For instance: DCL schedules "playdates" for babies/toddlers...but holds it in the Outlook, which few newbies with babies can find and it's hard to get to with strollers. They have the Mickey 500, but it uses knives...so not so much little kid involvement. Other than the dance parties, there isn't very much families can do together besides swim. Detective agency is good for kids 5 and up. I suppose you could try to play minigolf, but not with a toddler. The first cruise, we were just to be there and look at everything. The shows on some days are good, but on seven night cruises, that's really only 3 nights out of 7, because the variety shows and some movies are inappropriate for younger kids. Characters are only fun for so long and who wants to spend their vacation waiting in line? We do like DCL, but I think it's going to be a long time before we cruise with them again - or maybe we'll do a cruise with next to no sea days.
Momof2inCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #148
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
As far as night time activities, how can we do that with a 5/7 year old? We can't just leave them in the room alone while they sleep.
Haven't read all the way thru the thread yet, so someone else may have already made this point, but if your children are 5 & 7, by the time you do dinner and a show every evening (or dinner and pirate night), it's probably going to be around (or past) their bedtime anyway.

Yes, you will see some parents dragging their children around the ship until quite late, but from an outsider's perspective, for the most part, neither the parents nor the children look particularly happy about it.

=========================

And....... I just realized that I replied to a post from a year and half ago. Sorry.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #149
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin View Post
So, I was forced to be alone because my kids were neglecting ME.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
I have been cruising for 8 years with my son and every cruise I have been neglected like you
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
Ditto.
Exactly 2 of my children won't even head to the dining rooms for dinner. "I'll grab dinner from quick service with a friend at the club" they would say, every night. The one time they showed up to a meal was breakfast the last morning. I felt compelled to offer a handshake while saying, "Hello, my name is mommy, it's nice to meet you."
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #150
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

I'm not even reading this thread bc the original post is completely asinine.
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: