Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #1111
MamaCrush
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8 View Post
Week 5, day 3 of 5K training! Today was my long run, so I went 3.45 miles for the first time!
That's awesome! WTG!

DCL Western 7-Day Cruise: January 2005 ~ Pop Century: September 2006 ~ Coronoado Springs Resort: September 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs: March 2009 ~ Old Key West: August 2009 ~ Boardwalk Villas: September 2009 -Adults Only! ~ Saratoga Springs: April, 2010 ~ Saratoga Springs: September 2010 - Mickey's Halloween 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: November/December 2010 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Village: February 2011 - Princess Royal Family 5K ~ Animal Kingdom Jambo House: May 2011 - Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Wilderness Lodge: June 2011 ~ All Star Movies: October 2011 - Kids Dancing with Disney Youth Performing Arts! ~ Saratoga Springs: January 2012 - Mommy/Daughter Birthday Trip - DD Turns 10! ~ June 2012 - Bay Lake Tower ~ September 2012 - Happy Haunted 5K Trail Run - Port Orleans Riverside ~ March 2013 - Solo Trip - Saratoga Springs ~ May 2013 - Expedition Everest Challenge with DS13 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ September 19-20 Solo Trip - Wilderness Lodge
MamaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #1112
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrush

That's awesome! WTG!
Thanks! I did learn a lot about pacing myself. I feel like I will definitely be ready for my 5K. I still have a few weeks to go!
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #1113
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeanut
I just wanted to introduce myself. I have just recently restarted C25k again. I'm going to do week 3, day 3 today. I completed the program once about 15 months ago, signed up for a 5k, completed it with some walking. I did another 5k about 6 months with less walking, but since then I've slacked off and needed to start from scratch again. I hope this time I'll be comfortable doing a 5k by the spring and then keep signing up for one each month to keep motivated.
I like reading about everyone's progress and some of the common struggles. You are all inspiring me to stop making excuses and get to it! Thank you!
Hi and welcome! I find our little group to be a great motivator too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford
I've been slacking again, but plan to re-do W2D1 tonight. I did have a small victory last week. I did my run on Tuesday and on Wednesday a co-worker dragged me to Zumba. I have never been able to keep up so well in Zumba class cardio-wise. It was so encouraging.

Keep it up everyone! This thread is so great for motiviation.
Isn't it great when something cardio becomes easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl
I just got back on track.

To keep myself on track I have signed up for a 5k next month and told everyone I am doing it. No backing out now.
I did the same thing! And then I signed up DW for two 5ks to keep her out there with me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96
I'm having a lot of trouble with week 2. Week 1 was fine and I did w2d1 ok, but since then I haven't been able to finish another week 2 workout. My diet hasn't been the best this past week, so maybe that's part of the problem. I think I'm going to repeat week 1 this week and see how it goes. I may have just needed to stick with week 1 a little longer and not advance to week 2 right away since I hadn't really done any exercise for several months before I started this!
I found my pace slowing a but with each week...it gets harder but you can do it! I do think duet plays a huge role too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps
I have been a huge slacker this week. I can't even remember the last time I worked out or ran. I did a hike on wednesday, but that's about it. Time to pull on my exercise clothes and get back in the game. Thanks so much for this thread- just reading a few posts helps me find the motivation.

You all are awesome! I am having this old movie going through my head right now. Cool runnings. The mantra- Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme,( it's couch to 5k time). Cool running. I need some raggae jams now. I feel old! LOL
Lol put some reggae on your iPod and get back out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keahgirl8
Week 5, day 1 of 5K training, plus 20 minutes on the elliptical! I averaged a 12.7 minute mile. This is my best so far! Believe me...if I can do this, you can too!
WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa 80
Cool runnings!!! Great movie. Lost a little motivation this week too... but getting back to it tomorrow. Keep it up!
Keep going...you can do thus!

Quote:
Completed week 5 yesterday. I have a mental road block to run for long periods. I keep remembering tv related things- Seinfeld running behind a car he was strapped to while the old man was yelling at him to keep running. I need something like that. No choice but to run or get eaten alive. I am so practical huh!

Do they have a temple run 5k? I bet I could get through that. Is anyone going to do Run for your lives? Looks fun to me. Zombies -aahhhh.
Lol about the Seinfeld episode! What's the temple run?

Quote:

I am really enjoying the run/walk method on the Jeff Galloway app. I seem to be more willing to go all out if I know it's only for a few minutes, plus I think it will really help me build endurance.
I am really enjoying his method too. I downloaded his 10k program to start next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca
Haven't run since the 11th. I slipped on the ice and tweaked my knee when I was trying to keep myself from going down. Managed to save myself from a pretty bad fall but it hurt for several days. The knee is better today but I did a lot of stairs today moving stuff in our museum prepping for a tea party this weekend so my legs are pretty sore.
I'm headed down now to do the treadmill but I think I'm going to take it slow and repeat last weeks workout.
Take it easy - I've been out of commission for the past week too. It's hard to get back.

Quote:
That was bad!! Like horrible bad. The tops of my feet, ankles, calves and shins were in terrible pain. Gritted my teeth and pushed thru it but dang I hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards
Don't push too hard...you may need a little more rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR
Doing EEC on May 4th... just completed W4D1. That was quite the jump up in difficulty from the previous week. Yowza!

Anyone else started recently to get ready for EEC? How are you progressing?
Just keep picturing that mountain! I want to do EE some day. Is it a straight run or an obstacle course run?

Quote:
Week 5, day 3 of 5K training! Today was my long run, so I went 3.45 miles for the first time!
Woohoo! That is great for week 5. I didn't hit that distance until week 9!

I had my last run last Tuesday morning and did W9D1. I ran 3.49 in 40 minutes so I was Very happy with that. Then I had to go for a toenail biopsy (to rule out a melanoma. I got the results yesterday and it was benign, thank God. But I haven't been able to run. I did a slow walk jog on Monday but couldn't get past 1.5 miles and that took a good 20-25 min. I'm going to do a little more today, but I've had to extend my C25k graduation by a few weeks.

You are all doing great! Keep running!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #1114
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

That's great you got good news on your biopsy.

I can't even imagine being on week 9. I have been doing week 5 for like 3 weeks! So I guess in theory I should be in week 8 but anyway. I only go 3 miles in an hour it seems.

You guys are doing fantastic.

Temple run is an app my kids like with these scary man sized monkey vultures things that would definitely have me sprinting and jumping and dodging to get away.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #1115
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Tomorrow will be the first time I've run outside since high school. Am I crazy for being nervous?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #1116
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's great you got good news on your biopsy.

I can't even imagine being on week 9. I have been doing week 5 for like 3 weeks! So I guess in theory I should be in week 8 but anyway. I only go 3 miles in an hour it seems.

You guys are doing fantastic.

Temple run is an app my kids like with these scary man sized monkey vultures things that would definitely have me sprinting and jumping and dodging to get away.
Thanks! I will have to check out that app. Try moving forward even if you don't feel like you are going fast enough. The longer running will increase your strength and stamina.

Quote:
Tomorrow will be the first time I've run outside since high school. Am I crazy for being nervous?
No. It's very different. I have only run on a treadmill once over the past 9 weeks and hated it, but it's easier because the climate is controlled and the surface is the same. If you can find a school track to use that would be a good start!

After a rough Monday, I held off running until yesterday. I did W9D2 and went just under three miles. Slower than before but I think I'm on the mend and I am hopeful that Sunday's run (my graduation day!) will be good. Then it's on to 10k training. I am going to use Jeff Galloway's easy 10k.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #1117
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
Doing EEC on May 4th... just completed W4D1. That was quite the jump up in difficulty from the previous week. Yowza!

Anyone else started recently to get ready for EEC? How are you progressing?
Yep!! All signed up! I've been running for a couple weeks... I'm doing 2 miles right at 16 minutes right now. This week going to try to go a little further or try to work on my speed... not sure yet. Looking forward to it!! My goal is to just keep ahead of the golf cart!!

Saratoga Springs October 2011
Old Key West June 2012
Expedition Everest 5k May 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014 & Disneyland 2014 Avengers 1/2 Marathon
Carissa 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #1118
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

I thought I checked back in here after my first outside run! Guess not. lol

I was pleasantly surprised with how well it went. I really enjoyed running outside, and my time wasn't far off from my treadmill time. The time actually went by faster than it does on the treadmill. I think one thing was that I couldn't see the timer. I am going to try hiding the timer when I do have to run on the treadmill. Tomorrow is my "long run" day. It will be done inside, because of the time and temperature I need to do it in. My leg is a little achy, so I am going to take it easy. I will only try to run 3 minutes at a time, instead of 4-5, at a slower pace. We'll see how it goes!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #1119
ATLJR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carissa 80 View Post
Yep!! All signed up! I've been running for a couple weeks... I'm doing 2 miles right at 16 minutes right now. This week going to try to go a little further or try to work on my speed... not sure yet. Looking forward to it!! My goal is to just keep ahead of the golf cart!!
Awesome! Roughly ten weeks out I think you will have no problem staying ahead of the golf cart..just add an extra 1/4 mile every week for the next 4 weeks and then focus the last 6 on shaving 30 seconds off your per mile pace and you'll be at 13:00 miles by May 4!

I just polished off Week 4 yesterday and now begin the dreaded Week 5. After that first day of Week 4 it became significantly easier. The first two days of Week 5 don't worry me but that 20 minute run at the end of the week has me a little anxious.
ATLJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #1120
Carissa 80
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
Awesome! Roughly ten weeks out I think you will have no problem staying ahead of the golf cart..just add an extra 1/4 mile every week for the next 4 weeks and then focus the last 6 on shaving 30 seconds off your per mile pace and you'll be at 13:00 miles by May 4!

I just polished off Week 4 yesterday and now begin the dreaded Week 5. After that first day of Week 4 it became significantly easier. The first two days of Week 5 don't worry me but that 20 minute run at the end of the week has me a little anxious.
Thank you!! I've been trying to make a plan as to how best go about adding to my distance and trying to get faster. That makes perfect sense!! THANKS!! Today is a run day.... looking forward to getting on the treadmill! (Can't wait to get outside, but another snow storm is on it's way.)

Saratoga Springs October 2011
Old Key West June 2012
Expedition Everest 5k May 2013
Animal Kingdom Lodge August 2014 & Disneyland 2014 Avengers 1/2 Marathon
Carissa 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #1121
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

I wasn't happy with my performance the last week so I am going to back up a bit. I have 8 wks until the day of the 5k and I just need my calves to keep up.

Cardiowise, I am fine... my calves cramp and I find that I do much better on grass and gravel than concrete.

Anyone else use the Drill Sargent? I think he should yell more. LOL!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #1122
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I need to finish my long run this week. I went to cardio kickboxing yesterday and I am so sore. Like everywhere. Well actually we hiked in the early afternoon and then I ran for 15 minutes after kickboxing, so it's probably a combo.

Anyone else love the feeling of post workout body soreness? Not real pain, just the feeling if reawakening muscles being put to good use. My shin splints were more pain than pleasure. YWIM?
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #1123
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I need to finish my long run this week. I went to cardio kickboxing yesterday and I am so sore. Like everywhere. Well actually we hiked in the early afternoon and then I ran for 15 minutes after kickboxing, so it's probably a combo.

Anyone else love the feeling of post workout body soreness? Not real pain, just the feeling if reawakening muscles being put to good use. My shin splints were more pain than pleasure. YWIM?
I know exactly what you mean. Definitely something I never thought I'd say!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1124
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Ugh, I have totally dropped the ball on this. I need to get back into the swing of things and stay there. I blame the weather, I have not seen the sun in what feels like weeks. I really really want to get outside to run but it is sooo muddy, it's crazy and we don't have a single sidewalk in town. I would need to go to the green in the next town over but that is dirt, which equals mud.

Guess I will get back on dreadmill tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1125
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ugh, I have totally dropped the ball on this. I need to get back into the swing of things and stay there. I blame the weather, I have not seen the sun in what feels like weeks. I really really want to get outside to run but it is sooo muddy, it's crazy and we don't have a single sidewalk in town. I would need to go to the green in the next town over but that is dirt, which equals mud.

Guess I will get back on dreadmill tomorrow.
You've just got to get right back on the horse. You can do it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: