Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Help me appreciate the swan and dolphin

I know the title of this thread is kind of silly, but I am having a hard time getting excited about the hotel. We are staying there for two nights before we go to the boardwalk inn. I kind of feel like it will be a big tease- we will be right next to the boardwalk but not staying there for a few more days. The only reason we are going to the swan is because it is free on credit card points. Should we stick with it or switch to somewhere else like a moderate? Maybe the swan is great and I am wrong?
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

the Swan and Dolphin are both great hotels..we have stayed there many times and have enjoyed the atmosphere of both..
You are right where you want to be ..close to the Boardwalk ..Epcot and the Studios...
Hope you enjoy yourselves on your vacation

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumba
the Swan and Dolphin are both great hotels..we have stayed there many times and have enjoyed the atmosphere of both..
You are right where you want to be ..close to the Boardwalk ..Epcot and the Studios...
Hope you enjoy yourselves on your vacation
Thanks, pretty good advice coming from a stinky warthog. Did you clear a savannah after your last meal?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Does the Boardwalk offer a 24 hr eatery or 24 hr room service food? Try not to miss it too much when you leave there. (As we did in a split stay. And don't forget to use your AAA card for a discount on food.)

I know the Boardwalk doesn't have Heavenly Beds.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Thumbs up We stayed at both and we prefer ......

The Swan and Dolphin to the BW. To us the BW is the least Disney resort of the Disney resorts. The pool at S&D blows the BW away. Restaurants are also a lot better, Shulas is the best steak on property. BlueZoo is a wonderful seafood restaurant and offers choices not at the Flying Fish and the food is as good if not better.

Lets talk price U get more for a lot less. A deluxe resort for a moderate price. You cannot go wrong.

Go in with an open mind and you will realize the you do not miss out on anything except sending your packages back and chargeback privileges.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

I appreciate that over Easter week my short stay at the Dolphin is costing me $240 per night, whereas I'd be paying $600 per night at the other Epcot resorts for those same nights...

Seriously though, the Swan and Dolphin are great - you can't beat the location, the beds, and the pools. While the pool is no SAB, it is larger and less crowded (usually) than the main pool at the BWI.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Poohlovr
Still SSB's archrival!
It's a sad day when you thank your friends for boo-ing you
Apparently they don't know the power of the Cheerleaders

We've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin exclusively for many yrs now, except for a foray to AKL when it first opened.

On the AKL trip, my grandsons (who were probably late elementary school age) told us they missed staying at the S/D. We haven't stayed elsewhere since.

Poohlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
CindyPA
Earning My Ears

Not thrilled with Boardwalk

First time poster here...

We stayed at BWI in early June last year and were disappointed. We ended up walking to the Dolphin most days to eat and were so taken with it that we just booked it for June this year.

The BWI is gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. The location is wonderful too. One thing that put us off was that any time we wanted to eat, we had to go outdoors. There is no restaurant that you can access from inside. And since it seemed to rain daily around dinner time, it literally put a damper on our trip! They do have a bar area that offers limited coffee in the am and drinks in the pm, but that was it.

Also, the pool area, while fun was not so big. Most days it was so crowded that my kids were waiting 10-15 minutes to go down the slide. It was hard to find a table and chairs to park ourselves at.

The main grotto pool at the Dolphin is so much bigger and so pretty. They also have a beach area and a couple of other smaller pools. We booked a deluxe alcove which is much bigger than the BWI rooms for $100 less per night than we paid last year (including resort fees!) No ME, but we are using Tiffany Towncar and getting a grocery stop on the way to the Dolphin. And we don't have to wait in line for a bus.

Everyone has their different tastes, but go into it with an open mind and you just might really enjoy yourself. Have a magical trip!
CindyPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
SarahInMN
Really my username should be SarahInOR now

We have never stayed at the Swan and Dolphin (we usually stay at Beach Club Villas) but we love, love, love the food at Swan and Dolphin! We can walk up to any of the restaurants without reservations and be seated. Plus the Swan and Dolphin restaurants accept Tables in Wonderland.

Kimono's has great sushi!!

SarahInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Where else an you get a deluxe level resort for the price of a mod? I love the Heavenly Beds and the scent that lingers at the Swan!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

I am in a similar boat. I realize that S&D has better pricing and better restaurants with the advantage of the same primo location, but I really just HATE looking at them, I think that they're such an eyesore. That's such a snobbish thing to say but I can't help it!! I've never been inside, I will make an effort to do so on my next trip and give it a chance. If they were any color combo besides burnt orange and copper green... Sigh

singastory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Duke&Tree
Mouseketeer

We really enjoyed the Dolphin when we stayed there, and you are essentially on the Boardwalk...it is RIGHT there. I wouldn't switch. We had our first experience at the BW Villas last month, and we loved it. Have a great time!

Trips together:2000 PopMu 2004 Dolphin DONE and FABULOUS!: Dec 2009 (no kids!) combo DH bday and 9th anniversary at CSR! Duke surprised Tree with another anniversary trip in January 2011 at SSR! Finally brought the kids 2011 with the kids in style: Club Level at AKL! Adults-only AoA/BWV Jan 2013 was a success! Awesome extended family trip with kids Dec 2013 at AKL! Adults-only Hilton Bonnet Creek/CSR planned for November 2014!

We drank the DVC koolaid....owners at AKL!!

DD Monkey (9) DD Goose (6)
Duke&Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan
The Swan and Dolphin to the BW. To us the BW is the least Disney resort of the Disney resorts. The pool at S&D blows the BW away. Restaurants are also a lot better, Shulas is the best steak on property. BlueZoo is a wonderful seafood restaurant and offers choices not at the Flying Fish and the food is as good if not better.

Lets talk price U get more for a lot less. A deluxe resort for a moderate price. You cannot go wrong.

Go in with an open mind and you will realize the you do not miss out on anything except sending your packages back and chargeback privileges.
If the boardwalk is the least disney for you, what is the most disney?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyPA
First time poster here...

We stayed at BWI in early June last year and were disappointed. We ended up walking to the Dolphin most days to eat and were so taken with it that we just booked it for June this year.

The BWI is gorgeous and the rooms were very nice. The location is wonderful too. One thing that put us off was that any time we wanted to eat, we had to go outdoors. There is no restaurant that you can access from inside. And since it seemed to rain daily around dinner time, it literally put a damper on our trip! They do have a bar area that offers limited coffee in the am and drinks in the pm, but that was it.

Also, the pool area, while fun was not so big. Most days it was so crowded that my kids were waiting 10-15 minutes to go down the slide. It was hard to find a table and chairs to park ourselves at.

The main grotto pool at the Dolphin is so much bigger and so pretty. They also have a beach area and a couple of other smaller pools. We booked a deluxe alcove which is much bigger than the BWI rooms for $100 less per night than we paid last year (including resort fees!) No ME, but we are using Tiffany Towncar and getting a grocery stop on the way to the Dolphin. And we don't have to wait in line for a bus.

Everyone has their different tastes, but go into it with an open mind and you just might really enjoy yourself. Have a magical trip!
Thanks so much for the info. I am starting to look forward to the swalphin much more now.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Maybe we should pay for an upgraded view at swan. What category is most ideal?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: