Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
snowdrift7
DIS Veteran

Help! Would you rather go early October or early December - if you had the choice?

Hi, i just asked this on another board but could use as much feedback as i can get - plus I'm not sure where to post this question. We had to postpone our usual May trip this year and are trying to decide when to go. We are going for about 2 1/2 weeks and our two choices are late sept/early oct or right after Thanksgiving through mid Dec. can you help us decide? What do you like about these times of year. Thanks so much!

Cyn

snowdrift7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
bsjs0708
DIS Veteran

That depends on what is most important to you. Crowd levels will be basically the same..However the food and wine festival and Fall decor is pretty amazing along with the Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. BUT December will be cooler and you can enjoy the Christmas decorations and the Osborn lights along with the option for Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Parade.That being said I enjoy the fall..but that is just a personal preference

bsjs0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
cdelong1
Earning My Ears

Wow good question! I love both weeks. Halloween party is fabulous but the Christmas decorations are beautiful too. Guess I would do the December if I had to choose
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I prefer Oct for F&W and the hotter temps. Early December is nice though too. I did both in 2012 and I would be happy going both times again.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Since this is the Restaurant and dining forum, are you asking about how your choice of vacation dates would affect your restaurant selection or menu choices? Like F&W sampling vs. Thanksgiving/Christmas treats?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

If you're talking in general it would depend on what was important to you. Oct will be better shorts and pool weather Dec could be cooler and limit your pool time but the parks are usually cooler too.
I personally prefer Dec for the decorations,the halloween decorations in MK throw me off.

If you're talking food choices I would choose Oct hands down!
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

I prefer to go in December. I just love the Christmas decorations so much. We did F&W last year and it was ok to me. We'll do it again this year because it's more convenient for our family but I still prefer Christmas time at Disney. It's like no other.

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
snowdrift7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
Since this is the Restaurant and dining forum, are you asking about how your choice of vacation dates would affect your restaurant selection or menu choices? Like F&W sampling vs. Thanksgiving/Christmas treats?
You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have posted this question on this board - sorry! However as for the food options you bring up a good point, during the Christmas season are there special dining options, tied to Epcot? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Also, thanks for everyone's recommendations. They were super helpful.

Cyn

snowdrift7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift7 View Post
You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have posted this question on this board - sorry! However as for the food options you bring up a good point, during the Christmas season are there special dining options, tied to Epcot? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Also, thanks for everyone's recommendations. They were super helpful.

Cyn
I think you are talking about the Candlelight Processional. Kinda/sorta but not really like the F. dining package at DHS. Here's a link to info about last year's CP dining package:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/cand...ional.htm#dine
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift7 View Post
Hi, i just asked this on another board but could use as much feedback as i can get - plus I'm not sure where to post this question. We had to postpone our usual May trip this year and are trying to decide when to go. We are going for about 2 1/2 weeks and our two choices are late sept/early oct or right after Thanksgiving through mid Dec. can you help us decide? What do you like about these times of year. Thanks so much!

Cyn
We do a quick trip (4-5 days) in Oct, because we love "MNNSHP", but our 11 day trip every year starts Thanksgiving day !! BEST TIME TO GO !!!
tinkerhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

We went early December on our first trip and the crowds were almost non-existent. The only issue we had was that it was hard to dress. Too cool in the morning for a t-shirt but too warm later in the day for long sleeves.
Disneyland 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
gorkt
Mouseketeer

Both times have their perks. Early October can be very hot, and early December is more temperate. Do you like Halloween themed stuff or XMas stuff? Personally, I love food and wine so I'd pick early October,
DS Orion 9

Many trips as a child and young adult
Dec 2006 - First Family Trip - BWV / All Star Music Suites
Nov 2009 - 10 day Wilderness extravaganza - 5 nights Cabins/5 Nights WLV
Nov 2013 - AoA Finding Nemo - Nov 2-11th

Hopefully returning in 2015-2016!
gorkt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Depends on what type of weather you like?

Oct. *will* be hot. Dec. can be very *iffy*. We were there Dec. '10, and nearly froze. This past Dec. weather was great!

No special dining in Epcot that I know of in Dec.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

We have been both times many times. It all comes down to do you prefer Christmas decor, music, events, etc. or Halloween, Fall decor and Epcot's food and Wine Festival. We like them equally and kind of alternate between the two. If I had to give the edge to one or the other though, it would probably be October because we absolutely love Food and Wine.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Depends on what type of weather you like?

Oct. *will* be hot. Dec. can be very *iffy*. We were there Dec. '10, and nearly froze. This past Dec. weather was great!

No special dining in Epcot that I know of in Dec.
Yes I agree, if weather is a big factor definitely early December. And peak time for those hurricanes/trop storms seem to peak more in Oct than any other time (in recent years).

I'm not a big fan of WDW in the heat and early October is still rather hot especially standing in line for the F&W treats in the middle of the day and night we don't even go to Epcot during F&W because it can be crazy. If we go in October we usually go around Halloween.

I love the Xmas holiday decorations and the weather can be more comfortable in early December although rain is still common with the arrival of cold fronts (but it usually doesn't stick around like some of that Oct. tropical weather).

Either way there are still lots of GREAT restaurants to dine at.
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: