Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Btw, keep the good experiences coming! And all advice is welcome. I've read where another mother found othr families with only children going on the same cruise and contacted them through disboards .maybe that's something I can do.....
I always put in a dining request for a 6 top table with a family with another small child. So far on my past cruises my request has been fulfilled. DS has become friends with the other kid and makes it more fun.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
monica9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrunty View Post
I always put in a dining request for a 6 top table with a family with another small child. So far on my past cruises my request has been fulfilled. DS has become friends with the other kid and makes it more fun.

Awesome! Love that idea!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

We have 1 dd who is now 20. We have cruised regularly since she was 5. We started with a 5 day and graduated to 7 days immediately. We have never taken a friend because of the cost and she is fine with that. We have good family time together. She has gone to kids clubs sparingly and that is okay with us. We are glad to do things with her. We have chosen ships that have plenty for all ages and have never been bored--quite the opposite in fact. She wants to do everything. I can't imagine your only child being bored on dcl. Have fun.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

We will be cruising for the first time in April... It will be me, hubby & 12yr old daughter. And I know she won't go in the clubs! But to me it's some wonderful family time!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

We also request a large table and have usually been placed with a family who has someone her age.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Postal68
DIS Veteran

I'd go by myself, wouldn't bother me the least bit.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
Btw, keep the good experiences coming! And all advice is welcome. I've read where another mother found othr families with only children going on the same cruise and contacted them through disboards .maybe that's something I can do.....
Definitely find the meet thread for your cruise. We have had great success with doing this with the kids before the cruise.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

We cruise with our only child and love it. We started when she was 16 months and booked a 3 night to test the waters (my parents live in FL so we went between christmas and new year's). It's such a great vacation for a young child. DD prefers it over staying at beach resorts, WDW, and Sea World. What's especially great is that there are so many activities. So if something doesn't catch DD's interest we just move on to the next one. We don't use the nursey as much as others because we both work full-time and we look forward to our family time on vacations, but she loves the little time she does spend there. She also loves the Club during open house times. So I say go for it!

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9
You could search for your "cruise meet" on the boards and get to know some people before you go. You will certainly find people with kids your daughter's age. It wouldn't have to be "only" children. Sometimes kids end up in different clubs because of age difference from the same family. I think anyone her age would be great. There is so much to do on the ship and in port, boredom shouldn't be an issue.

Also, joining the fish extender for your cruise is a fun thing to do.

gcoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

We have an only child and we have cruised just the 3 of us and will be going again next month. We did start with a 4-night as I wanted to make sure cruising would be a good fit for us. Our DD was 8 when we went on the Dream last February. She had always been comfortable meeting new people, goes to day camp every summer, etc., but for whatever reason she did NOT take to the Oceaneer Lab. We went with her the first day as everyone suggested, but she refused to go back. We were fine having her with us for the entire cruise, but it would have been nice to have just a little bit of grownup time!

If you and your DH are okay with the possibility of your child being with you for all or most of the cruise, then I would not hesitate to book a cruise. Despite the fact that our DD did not spend any time in the kids' clubs, we all had a great time and booked a 7-night cruise while onboard. This time we are not expecting her to spend any time in the Lab and will be pleasantly surprised if she does.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

I've cruised with just me and 1 child. She doesn't do the kids clubs, so we did our own thing. We had a blast Then I cruised with two kids and realized it's easier one on one. So now, each kid gets their own cruise with me. They prefer that as well and I get to go on a lot more cruises.
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

We are about to take our third cruise and DS is an only child. Our first cruise included extend family and friends so he wasn't really alone. Our last one he was by himself but quickly made a few friends while doing bean bag toss one morning.

He has been with us on 7 Disney trips, the first at age 2, and always has a great time.

pooksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

We prefer to cruise just us and our DD4. It's nice family time and she still goes to the kids club a few hours a day and usually makes a few friends. 7 nights proved to be a little long for us with all the late nights but as far as being just the 3 of us, it was very nice! We've gone with friends and family before and it's nice to have company but we do fine alone too.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Lawdawg
Earning My Ears

I think you will be fine on the 7 night. Especially if your daughter is really into Disney and all of the characters, fairies and princesses. Our daughter had just turned 6 in September and we took her on Fantasy for 7 nights. (She has a little brother, but we don't want to take him until he is 3, so it was just myself, wife and daughter) She loved getting to meet all the characters every day, and we basically just made all of our excursions beach trips, and she had a blast. She is not the most outgoing socially, but she liked the play area. She found other kids to play with sometimes, and sometimes she played the computer games by herself. We had plenty of family time and enough alone time as well, so that everyone had fun. Since then, she has asked at least twice a month if we were going to back on a "Disney boat" and while she does not yet know it, we are going on the Fantasy again in September. Oh, and if you go on Fantasy, they have the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique where they make little girls feel even more like little princesses.
Lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

We are just three -- have only one child, a daughter. Our first cruise with her she was 12 and had a blast. Nine cruises later, we still make the most of it. Family has never sailed with us!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: