Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Curious why use a TA?

We are about to take our seventh Disney cruise in I can't count how many Disneyland or Disney World trips we have taken over the years... We have never used to travel agent. I like the control of making changes and having specific requests done by just calling Disney at that moment instead waiting for someone else to do it, since you have to tell someone your requests why not just directly Disney? I am truly curious why people choose to use travel agents. :-) What am I missing?
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

You can usually get more OBC using a TA. (Basically they give you some of the money they get in commission.) And it doesn't cost any more than booking direct.
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

I have heard of people who arrived WDW and somehow their reservation was messed up (even though they had checked) and their TA went about straightening out their dining plan and such and they just went off and enjoyed the parks.

They also will keep an eye on deals that come out and rebook you if you can take advantage.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
gatorfreud
DIS Veteran

For cruises, I also let mine handle finding me the best trip insurance.

Kim
3/07 - All Star Sports
7/07 - Disney's Vero Beach
11/07 - MVMCP, POR and Coronado Springs
1/08 - Disneyland
3/08 - Camping at Fort Wilderness
6/08 - Saratoga Springs and SWW!
10/08- DLR, GCH no kids!
11/08 - DLR, DLH Thanksgiving
4/09- Off site
6/09 - CBR and Poly
9/09- DLR, DLH
gatorfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
4butlers
DIS Veteran

Obc!

2003-DLR; 2004-DLR; 2006-DLR
2011-WDW POR; 2011-DCL Dream Bahamas
2013-WDW POR; 2013-DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
4butlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Here are a few just off the top of my head.
  1. It does not cost anything to me and I get OBC.
  2. My TA has gotten me better prices that I could find on the Disney site.
  3. We had a problem with not using some credit on our room after the cruise. Talking to Disney they told me it was my fault and I just lost the money. I talked to my travel agent and they made some calls to non phone people at Disney Cruise and got the money added to my next cruise.
  4. When we are looking for something special they will watch for it and call me when it come up.
  5. My travel agent has 10 to 40 rooms per cruise booked. When they call it pulls much more power than if I call and have one room.
  6. When I have a cruise holder (booked from my last cruise) they will watch the date and call me to remind me to move it forward.
  7. If I have questions on anything I can call them because they have someone on staff that had been there and done that.
  8. They give good advice and help when there are problems. When we had to make an insurance claim that helped me submit the claim and make sure it was correct.

Note: I always do my price research before I call my TA to make sure they are getting me the best price.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

Can a TA book a VGT for you? We booked ourselves a VGT for our Fantasy Eastern last month and received some OBC for booking online directly with DCL and paying for it with our Disney Chase Visa. We also purchased our own travel insurance with USAA. Everything went very smoothly for us. I understand that a good TA could come in very handy if there were some kind of problem. Not sure what we'll do next time.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen
Can a TA book a VGT for you? We booked ourselves a VGT for our Fantasy Eastern last month and received some OBC for booking online directly with DCL and paying for it with our Disney Chase Visa. We also purchased our own travel insurance with USAA. Everything went very smoothly for us. I understand that a good TA could come in very handy if there were some kind of problem. Not sure what we'll do next time.
Yes. TA booked our IGT and got Disney Visa obc and one from TA.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
MNKelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Queen View Post
It's my understanding you can add a TA up to 30 days post making your reservation. If you add a TA to your existing reservation, you not only get the OBC DCL gave you, but whatever benefits the TA gives you as well. Definately worth it if you know what you want!
MNKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

Thanks, posters! I'll keep this in mind. If we go with a TA it will probably be AAA so no OBC, but we may try it.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies everyone! Since we do a DCL once a year we already book a future one on board so we get the 10% and OBC every cruise. So really it's about OBC mainly? You get that in addition to what DCL offers for OBC?
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Ok, here's a question - I have booked & paid in full for an April cruise. Can I transfer to a TA & get an OBC now, or too late?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
calmom
Just a dream and a wind to carry me...

I was recently informed by DCL that you can only transfer a reservation within 30 days of the original booking. I'm not sure if it matters about paying in full, but if you booked over 30 day ago, I was told you could not transfer it to a travel agent/costco/etc.
calmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
PrincessAbby'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmom
I was recently informed by DCL that you can only transfer a reservation within 30 days of the original booking. I'm not sure if it matters about paying in full, but if you booked over 30 day ago, I was told you could not transfer it to a travel agent/costco/etc.
Nope.., just booked it about 2 weeks ago!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom View Post
Ok, here's a question - I have booked & paid in full for an April cruise. Can I transfer to a TA & get an OBC now, or too late?

You have to transfer before PIF. Some rates have to be PIF when booking (FL, Military, some (most) *GT), some because of the terms of that rate, but most because they are only offered within the PIF dates.

A TA can get you those special rates, however. I've booked 3 cruises with FL rates and for all I've had to pay immediately so I needed to do it through a TA in order to get the TA OBC.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: