Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #211
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

So the "cold" turned out to be a virus that knocked me on my butt last night with fever and chills. I am about 90 percent better now, thanks to my hearty immune system.

I took it easy today, but I had enough strength to get my kids' Valentine stuff together and bake and frost a heart-shaped brownie for DH (his favorite treat).

DH and I don't do big things for Valentine's Day. Here's what he got me. I texted him the photo when I saw it in Target and he was wise to follow up.

It has treats inside and I can keep the boxes for decorations. Adorable!

I will share the only two photos I can find of us alone together at Disney:

Toy Story Mania, 2008:

Epcot, 2011:

Now that we have several kids old enough to take pictures, I need to get more of us together.

Happy Valentine's to those of you celebrating. I will be recovering and eating some treats.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #212
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

With 48 hours until the big penny-counting reveal, there's still time to get in on the fun!! I have been to the CoinStar machine and the pennies (and two dimes that snuck in) are all counted!

Our guesses so far:

cristyhas3: $222.00
kaoden39: $168.00
tksbaskets: $129
OhioStateBuckeye: $87
LynneG: $89.26

Remember, the closest two get a DLR pressed penny of their choice, or 51 cents worth of wishes into the wishing well in their honor!

I know this will keep you all in suspense all weekend.

PHXscuba
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #213
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
With 48 hours until the big penny-counting reveal, there's still time to get in on the fun!! I have been to the CoinStar machine and the pennies (and two dimes that snuck in) are all counted!

Our guesses so far:

cristyhas3: $222.00
kaoden39: $168.00
tksbaskets: $129
OhioStateBuckeye: $87
LynneG: $89.26

Remember, the closest two get a DLR pressed penny of their choice, or 51 cents worth of wishes into the wishing well in their honor!

I know this will keep you all in suspense all weekend.

PHXscuba
I think that LynneG gets points for adding the cents in?

And DH gets extra points for your Valentines Day gift!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #214
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So I know you've all been dying to see how many pennies I had ...

The penny jar just before it was emptied ...

The receipt listing my total:

$13.91!!!

You were all so optimistic about how much I would get to add to my trip fund! The way I see it, it still equals 4 Mickey ice cream bars, which is how I measure all things.

I will be PM'ing LynneG and OhioStateBuckeye to see which penny or wish they want! Thanks for playing along!

In other news ... 3 weeks from now I will have my face pressed to the window of the van, hoping for my first glimpse of the Matterhorn. It's a old family tradition, even though now you usually see the Tower of Terror or Screamin' first.

Three weeks seems so far away and so soon at once. I have so much to do! I have to plan DS' birthday party (bowling) and buy gifts. This week is already looking like a lost cause -- I am still suffering the effects of the cold/virus so I am foggy and froggy with a horrible-sounding cough. The kids are out of school on Monday so I won't get much done, I have jury duty Wednesday , and a big school dinner that I'm helping with Friday. So then I'm 2 weeks from leaving ... with not much more accomplished.

PHXscuba
Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #215
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I'm literally splitting a gut here. Oh MY! I was a tad high.

OK - enough for you to treat yourself to a churro or a couple of Mickey ice cream bars...
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #216
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I'm literally splitting a gut here. Oh MY! I was a tad high.

OK - enough for you to treat yourself to a churro or a couple of Mickey ice cream bars...
You get a "Wishful Thinking" award for your optimism!

Mmmmm... churros.

PHXscuba
Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #217
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

Since we are down to 19 days until we get there, I bought our Photopass Plus online! We'll see how it goes.

This cold is still messing with my head -- feels like my brain has been shrink-wrapped. Making complex decisions is beyond me right now -- I'm just trying to stay afloat. I have jury duty tomorrow and those defendants better hope the lawyers don't pick me!

That being said, I do have to keep chipping away at trip prep. I think I can handle printing pictures for activity booklets for the car trip.

PHXscuba
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #218
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since we are down to 19 days until we get there, I bought our Photopass Plus online! We'll see how it goes.

This cold is still messing with my head -- feels like my brain has been shrink-wrapped. Making complex decisions is beyond me right now -- I'm just trying to stay afloat. I have jury duty tomorrow and those defendants better hope the lawyers don't pick me!

That being said, I do have to keep chipping away at trip prep. I think I can handle printing pictures for activity booklets for the car trip.

PHXscuba
Bummer about being sick but let's hope you are feeling great when you leave for your vacation. I really enjoyed the PPP.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #219
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

OK, I have almost made it through Hell Week.

I am finally starting to feel better despite the coughing and missed sleep. Jury duty was relatively painless and over in one day. Tonight is a big school dinner that I am helping with. It is 80's theme and my outfit is embarrassing/freaking out the kids. Nailed it!

Tomorrow it will be two weeks until we leave town and I go into overdrive getting everything up wrapped before we leave town for a week. I can't wait!!!

PHXscuba
Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #220
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

LOVE your comment about embarrassing your kids with 80's night garb. I just purchased a rubber stamp that says "Embarrassing my children...just another service I offer."

Two weeks? You must be getting excited.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #221
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Woo Hoo.......almost trip time!!! I'll make sure to let Mickey know you all will be there after I leave!!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #222
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So if you've read from the beginning, you'll remember waaaay back on page 2 that I was dissing the Limited Time Magic offerings, specifically the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" idea, which I (still) think is about the dumbest thing ever, especially since "hip" and "Disney" don't always turn out well. And those poor men, having to sing those teenybopper songs, wonder what they think?

Well, I'm (not) sad to say I will just miss the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" week. This Disney Parks Blog post says they will be doing this next week and be done before I arrive. Makes me feel better -- I was thinking after all my time grumping about it that the Dapper Dan thing would be during the week I was there! Disney karma, you know?

And 2 weeks until we leave for CA!!

PHXscuba
Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #223
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
So if you've read from the beginning, you'll remember waaaay back on page 2 that I was dissing the Limited Time Magic offerings, specifically the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" idea, which I (still) think is about the dumbest thing ever, especially since "hip" and "Disney" don't always turn out well. And those poor men, having to sing those teenybopper songs, wonder what they think?

Well, I'm (not) sad to say I will just miss the "Dapper Dans Sing Boy Bands" week. This Disney Parks Blog post says they will be doing this next week and be done before I arrive. Makes me feel better -- I was thinking after all my time grumping about it that the Dapper Dan thing would be during the week I was there! Disney karma, you know?

And 2 weeks until we leave for CA!!

PHXscuba

Oh my gosh! I remember that conversation well. You are a lucky bug!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #224
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

So we are in home stretch and the kids are mentally counting down. They have been watching both Fantasias this afternoon and I am going to hand out the pins and let them start pin-trading with each other later after dinner. Two weeks from today, we should be checked into the PPH!!

I was looking over some of my trip notes and trying to read more about California Adventure. Despite my many DL visits, I've really only been in DCA about a day and a half. For our one-day trips when the kids were younger, we never felt up to tackling parkhopping, We spent one whole daytime (about 10-6:30) there on our October 2009 trip. At the time, there was a lot under construction. Combined with spending the whole Paradise Pier morning child-swapping with short DS and DD, we decided we really wouldn't be back to do a big multi-day trip until they finished construction and the younger kids grew, i.e. NOW!!

I got to DCA on my girls trip in Dec. 2010. We spent about a half day and hit the highlights, but I think the only "new" thing I did was see the Aladdin show. Since it was a Christmas-focused trip, we wanted to spend most of our two days in Disneyland.

(DS16 spent part of a day there on a band trip in Oct 2011. I think they just did rollercoasters/thrill rides)

So there's a long list of things that are new since our/my trips, plus things that were open but we didn't have time to do in our short day there in 2009. Any tips for these attractions would be appreciated!

New or significantly different attractions:

Goofys Sky School -- bigger kids and DH rode as Mulholland Madness
Little Mermaid
All of Carsland (duh)
Red Car Trolley
Silly Symphony Swings  renovating then, renovating now
World of Color

Attractions we just didn't do last time:

Animation Academy
Bakery Tour
Aladdin musical -- I saw but the fam hasn't
Golden Zephyr
Grizzly River Run -- DH dislikes raft rides and it was rainy last time
Redwood Creek Challenge

So DCA selling itself as a whole new park actually applies to us more than most. With four park days, we should have plenty of time to see everything we want and the little ones are both over 48 inches! DS7 hated Tower of Terror the first two times he went on it (at DL at age 4 and WDW at age 6) but keeps telling us he's trying it again.

Anyone want to lay bets on whether I can convince DH onto Grizzly River Run? He didn't ride Kali River Rapids at WDW or the raft ride at Knott's last summer despite them being nice warm days. I'm betting he won't go on, but that's not stopping the rest of us, although I will be doing GRR before a break so we can get dry clothes if needed.

PHXscuba

p.s. And I didn't even go into the new entertainment or eats -- Ghirardelli, Trolley Treats, Clarabelle's etc. We really need a drooling smiley!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #225
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Glad you are feeling better.

Your family are good sports. My DS teen may not have been razzing me if I did the 80's garb, that is, unless he was with me. DD on the otherhand, is a tween and is more concerned about what I wear and she wears nowadays!

Have fun seeing the new things in the parks. Our last visit was 3 years ago, so we are sad to see the tortilla factory go (DS and I liked the free handout), but we are looking forward to the new things this year. I fondly remember telling DS to meet me at the F letter if we got lost. That year we did the fun 5k run.
Lynne G is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: