Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Okay... Now I feel old
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
HeatherLassell
Queen of the PTR

Very cool! And omg all those men in short shorts. LOL

Sept 29-Oct 10, 2012 POR, Jan 6-15th, 2014 POR, Oct 2-6th, 2014 BCV, October 6-10th, 2014 DCL Wonder
*Heather & Melissa's Epic Adventure PTR October 2014*
*395 days of planning all lead up to this! Sept/Oct 2012*
HeatherLassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

Wow what a treat! Thanks for sharing It's great to see what it was like back then.
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I was very much mocking our fashions from 1982. We wear short shorts, indeed!

I noticed the tour guide, when she was still in Town Square, used ONE FINGER to point! The horrors! I also noticed how empty it seemed at first, but as the park filled, it still didn't seem overly crowded.

We also have to keep in mind that in August of 1982, the only park was the Magic Kingdom. I'm pretty sure they didn't stop the A-E ticket book system until Epcot opened, and the multiple day passport was introduced.

I also noticed were there were strollers, but much fewer of them around. Most people were walking.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #20
Joshua_me
Today's Sustainable Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
This video brought back great memories and made me a bit sad.

I understand that things change and evolve, but when the podcast conversation turns to My Disney Magic +. 180 days, rope drop, commando touring, running to get fast passes etc...I cant help but think of the time when these things weren't necessary.

John and I were driving yesterday and the topic of this video came up.

I have been going to WDW since 1971 and watching this film reminded me of how grateful I am to have the memories of going before things were "improved".

All my life, I've been into the "here, now, what's next" mindset. New and different has usually equated to "better".

As I get older, this has changed a bit and watching this video is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the memories.
A thoughtful reply, thanks as always, Kevin.

It brought to me a memory I hadn't thought of in years.

I can remember my Great Grandmother (who was nearing the age of 100 at the time) sitting me down one day and trying to explain to me the concept of how when one gets older, the world seems to go by more and more quickly, both in regard to the passage of time and in the actions of people.

"No one seems to stop and smell the roses anymore", and other quotes such as that.

Of course, at age 10 or so most of this flew right over my head. But, as I am now getting older myself I am beginning to understand the wisdom that she was trying to impart to me at the time.

I too am thankful for my memories of the parks during a more "relaxed" time, but as you said, things change and evolve - both in reality and our own perceptions of it.

And so it goes...

P.S. And, for whatever reason, just knowing my thread sparked up a conversation between you and John brings a smile to my face.

and

P.P.S. For all of you above who have thanked me for this clip, you are very welcome. It makes me extremely happy to spread a little Disney cheer whenever possible.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Joshua_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

I really enjoy the videos of the Old "WDW" I too remember it well. I found myself thinking "Go to the flower alley on main street." "Please let me see IF you had wings." While these new inovations, Dining plans, fast passes are designed to help, I can't help thinking that we lost something too.

Maybe that's me getting older and too nostalgic for a gone era.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
Lee Disney
Mouseketeer

I enjoyed this video as well. Thanks for sharing it. First off - I can not believe 1982 was 30 years ago.. And those clothes!! Hahaha! Our first trip was 1986 and I remember the crowds being that light. It was a much more relaxed vacation then. You didn't need to book a dining reservation months in advance, worry about getting a fast pass (did fast passes exist then?) or have a touring plan. Although i love watching Disney change and grow, I'm not sure that I'd be a Disney fan if my first trip was during this past decade.
Lee Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #23
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

What an awesome video. Thank you for sharing.

My first visit to WDW was December 1997 and this video reminded me of that visit. It was quiet. There weren't a lot of matching outfits. The park was really clean. And it just seemed magical.

Jump to 2002's visit. I noticed a lot of things had changed. And it dawned on me how much the Internet has affected things. Going in early December is no longer quiet. There are more matching outfits. And there aren't many surprises because people talk about everything and show videos.

I also think WDW has changed because there are no Disney family members running the company. Those that knew what Walt Disney valued are few or no longer with us. And the next generation don't believe in Walt's original values. Therefore the park isn't as clean or some of the cast members aren't as friendly. And just going to WDW seems to becoming more complicated with ADR's and Fast Passes.

I want the WDW from 1982 with a few additions from today's time. I like my digital camera..... I don't miss taking 18 rolls of film from my 1997 trip.
disneym2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #24
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

When I figure out how to use You Tube and load videos on it I have a pretty long home video of the trip my parents took me on in 1986 during the 15th Anniversary celebration. My older brother Michael was 5 I was 2 and my Mom was pregnant with my little brother. My Dad taped the Castle show and the parade along with extremely dark video of some of the rides(which I'd have to edit out since they literally are unwatchable it's so dark). I always enjoyed watching them still now but oh my the song they came up with for that celebration was so catchy I sing it to myself just hearing the the term '15 years' just because I use to watch it so much as a kid. Oddly the rides that are watchable on it are the ones no longer there, including the longer Country Bear Jamboree.

I also have home video of 1991 and 1994 but videos for those times are easier to find. I actually think my Dad rented a video camera for the 1986 video he took. I actually think it's the only video of me at that age too.

Pretty cool to see video of Disney World before I was born though thanks for posting!

Edit: Well after watching the video the footage my Dad took was slightly more entertaining but then I wonder if it's because I've watched it a lot more. I really need to figure out how to transfer this stuff. My Dad put it on Dvd for me I'll have to edit some of it so I can put it on the internet but again I have no idea how. I think this would be the only place anyone would find interest in seeing it of course but always wanted to share it since I see few home movies from Disney World in the 80s.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis

Last edited by LionKingRules84; 02-27-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: adding
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
travisx4
Mouseketeer

I was amazed at how fast the water sprites were. I remember them being faster than they are now and the video proves it.
Thanks
2-2009 Port Orleans, 8-2009 Portofino and Disney Magic, 8-2010 Disneyland and the Grand Californian, 2-2011 Disney Magic, 10-2011 F&W at The Dolphin, 6-2012 Podcast 3.0, 10-2012 Swan for F&W, 4-2013 Disney Fantasy, 8-2013 Disney Wonder in Alaska, 10-2013 F&W at the Dolphin, 8-2014 Eastern on the Fantasy
travisx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Thanks for sharing!

One thing I noticed right off the back is how thin most of the people are on the video. I guess it is true the American waistline has expanded (mine included).

The other is how many guys wore those short "Dolphin" style shorts. That is a fad I am glad is gone!

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
spel
Mouseketeer

very cool! I enjoyed that so much! There were so few little kids and virtually no strollers! Mostly adults!
spel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

Red face

Thank you so much for sharing this! My first trip was in 1986 and my parents only brought two rolls of 24 photos for the whole trip, my memories of that trip are foggy and the pictures they took are not the greatest. Brought me right back.
I really noticed that is was mostly adults or older kids, a few strollers but they were all the disney strollers. Oh and the fashion! Im sure my kids will say the same thing in 30 years of the pictures of them in the park. LOL.

There was 2 kids in Disney world shirts, with the sailor with the Monkey puppet ( pretty sure Disney security would not even let that happen now) Same thing there, we never see in uniform soldiers etc walking around like the two we saw in the video.

Thanks so much for sharing this!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #29
TiffanyCricket
Earning My Ears

New to the DIS forums and this video was everything! My first trip was in 1977 and I remember nothing and we have literally NO mementos from it. Next trip was in 1989 and it was so relaxing and fun during the summer no less!

Ok the part of the video where all those people are rowing that boat? I had to laugh because they had no life jackets on! Also the tour guide was wearing low heels

Really loved seeing this. The last comment under the video asked the poster if he used a camera from the future LOL
TiffanyCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #30
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

first thing I noticed... those loud smelly speedway cars were the same back then too! lol
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: