Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
for example this picture



For example this picture was taken at ISO 3200 28m f/4 1/30.

What can I do to help the noise?
One thing you can try is shooting in RAW, especially for your low light shots. Then use a program like Lightroom. Their noise reduction function is really great. You can download a free 30 day trial and see what you think. If you decide to buy it, you can get a great price at one of the educational software sites.

I felt like I made a huge leap a couple years ago when I upgraded to the T2i combined with Lightroom. Even my shots at 3200 are among the range of what I consider acceptable, but only after a trip through Lightroom. Shooting in RAW would also let you adjust your white balance, which might make a difference in your posted shot as well.

And I agree with Danielle that the shot is overexposed. Look at how washed out the face of the clock is. If you had adjusted the exposure, you might have been able to attain a faster shutter speed (and a sharper photo) or bumped down your ISO a little. It's common for cameras to overexpose dark scenes because so much of the frame is dark. You can either manually adjust the exposure through Exposure Compensation or you can change the metering mode to something like center weighted or spot metering so the camera doesn't let all that black be the basis for your exposure.

I do have an upgraded faster lens, but here is what I got at 3200 on my T2i. You can click on any of them and find the Exif data. But all are shot at 3200 with no tripod.


mk2partydepart by mom2rtk, on Flickr


mk2partyballoons by mom2rtk, on Flickr


mk2partyparadecindycoach by mom2rtk, on Flickr


Main Street Electrical Carriage by mom2rtk, on Flickr
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
One thing you can try is shooting in RAW, especially for your low light shots. Then use a program like Lightroom. Their noise reduction function is really great. You can download a free 30 day trial and see what you think. If you decide to buy it, you can get a great price at one of the educational software sites.

I felt like I made a huge leap a couple years ago when I upgraded to the T2i combined with Lightroom. Even my shots at 3200 are among the range of what I consider acceptable, but only after a trip through Lightroom. Shooting in RAW would also let you adjust your white balance, which might make a difference in your posted shot as well.

And I agree with Danielle that the shot is overexposed. Look at how washed out the face of the clock is. If you had adjusted the exposure, you might have been able to attain a faster shutter speed (and a sharper photo) or bumped down your ISO a little. It's common for cameras to overexpose dark scenes because so much of the frame is dark. You can either manually adjust the exposure through Exposure Compensation or you can change the metering mode to something like center weighted or spot metering so the camera doesn't let all that black be the basis for your exposure.

I do have an upgraded faster lens, but here is what I got at 3200 on my T2i. You can click on any of them and find the Exif data. But all are shot at 3200 with no tripod.
Thanks for the advice. I can definitely see it is over exposed. This is how much a beginner I am- I don't even know how to change the exposure based on those two ways you listed!

I don't shoot RAW yet. It scares me. I just bought Aperture so I will probably stick with Aperture over lightroom. Those are both good suggestions.

Haha that guy holding the balloons looks so happy! Hilarious.

I guess I should probably just upgrade my lens and figure out exactly what I am doing before I upgrade my camera.

I also have a problem with the screen on my camera. All of the photos look so good on the screen and then when you get them on the computer screen they look awful.
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran
 
Gianna'sPapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Elgin, Il.
Posts: 3,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I also have a problem with the screen on my camera. All of the photos look so good on the screen and then when you get them on the computer screen they look awful.
That is not unusual. In fact, its more the norm. Without zooming the image on the screen, it primarily is useful only for exposure.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #19
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,178

I posted this a while ago but I have another question. I am still deciding what to upgrade to!

What does it mean that the 60D doesn't have video autofocus? Does that mean that I have to manually focus or will it focus itself when I move to a different subject?
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
hakepb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I posted this a while ago but I have another question. I am still deciding what to upgrade to!

What does it mean that the 60D doesn't have video autofocus? Does that mean that I have to manually focus or will it focus itself when I move to a different subject?
I think it means you usually set focus, then start recording and manually focus while shooting for good video. Or you can do this and hunt for focus while shooting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_Cd...%3Dca_Cd2mX03w
__________________
"Home is where you stay when you are not at Disney World." - DS5
hakepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #21
SplashMo
DIS Veteran
 
SplashMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,132

The t4i if you are sticking with Canon. The Nikon D7100 if you are willing to switch. That would be my two choices.
__________________
Spash Mountain!!!!
SplashMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #22
bob100
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 982

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I posted this a while ago but I have another question. I am still deciding what to upgrade to!

What does it mean that the 60D doesn't have video autofocus? Does that mean that I have to manually focus or will it focus itself when I move to a different subject?
you need to half press the shutter button for video AF on the 60D, the newer Canon 70D has more advanced video AF

see:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07...w-70d-focusing

for more video features look at
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M..._Firmware_Wiki



the 'old' 60D at $500 is still a bargain !


Last edited by bob100; 10-05-2013 at 05:59 AM.
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,178

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with the t5i instead of the 60 or 70D.

Is there any reason to get the t5i over the t4i or should I stick with the 4ti? The t4i is $70 less than the t5i but I know that the t5i comes with the STM lens which sounds really quiet.
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,668

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with the t5i instead of the 60 or 70D.

Is there any reason to get the t5i over the t4i or should I stick with the 4ti? The t4i is $70 less than the t5i but I know that the t5i comes with the STM lens which sounds really quiet.
The T5i is almost identical to the T4i. There's a few minor changes but they don't affect performance.
__________________
Danielle

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!
 
Pixel Dust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with the t5i instead of the 60 or 70D.

Is there any reason to get the t5i over the t4i or should I stick with the 4ti? The t4i is $70 less than the t5i but I know that the t5i comes with the STM lens which sounds really quiet.
Here's a review of the t5i I found and they compare it to the t4i.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHqjUrykTU
__________________
Franklin, 32 and Missy, 31 -- Check us out on Facebook!
Current TR: Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013

Past: Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
rachel09985
DIS Veteran
 
rachel09985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN (Originally Ohio)
Posts: 3,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
Here's a review of the t5i I found and they compare it to the t4i. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHqjUrykTU
Lol that is funny! I did know there weren't many differences but that video was funny.
__________________

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #27
Prisstina
Mouseketeer
 
Prisstina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 77

I'm in the same boat as a lot of others here - wanting to upgrade to a DSLR from my Sony DSC W570.

Trying to decide if it's worth spending an extra $200-$300 to get the most recent DSLR, or if I should stick to something a little less expensive, considering I am a newbie to DSLRs. Will probably go with a Nikon since I've had them before, but not opposed to looking at other brands.

Snapsort is great if you're tossing up between camera models. It helped me pick my last camera, and I'm going to use it to pick the next one.

Any suggestions for a DSLR in the $300-$700 range for someone starting out, please let me know!
Prisstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.