Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Tell me about Cabanas on the Fantasy

From the descriptions I've read on DCL website, it sounds like Cabanas serves you at the table for dinner. Is that right? I always thought it was a buffet all the time.

It mentions serving items from the other restaurant menues. Really? Are the choices limited (I would imagine.)

We've never eaten at Cabanas for dinner because we enjoy the dinner menues and other restaurants, but on this next cruise we'll have a 3 month old and a 2 year old (in addition to our 4, 7, and 8 yr old) that won't make it easy to sit through a long dinner or get dressed up! It would be awesome if we could experience good food without changing for dinner or taking 90 minutes to eat.

What's the real scoop?

May 2010 Trip Report: 2400 pictures! Beach Club, Universal, and Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa

Feb 2012 Trip Report: Longest Trip Ever! 19 Days, VGC, Aulani, and More!

Oct 2012 Trip Report: 2 1/2 weeks in Hollywood and Disneyland!

Feb 2013 Trip Report: From Grand Villas to Fort Wilderness!

Sept 2013 Trip Report: 17 Disney Days! Too much? 5 kids! Too many?!
dr&momto2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

It is a served meal at dinner, with a selection of entrees. Cabanas (or Topsiders or Beach Blanket Buffet on the classic ships) is also not open the first or last night of your cruise.

You don't have to get dressed up to eat in the main dining rooms, most evenings are cruise casual. Cabanas has the same dress suggestion as the main dining rooms.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
You don't have to get dressed up to eat in the main dining rooms, most evenings are cruise casual. Cabanas has the same dress suggestion as the main dining rooms.
Even on semi-formal and formal nights?
Why would anyone choose to eat here then over the other restaurants? Perhaps just to dine on their own time? Is it faster?

How do people actually dress here? I would never wear shorts in the dining rooms (and don't let my kids either.)

Are there any good options for dinner while wearing shorts? With traveling with 5 kids 8 and under, I may not want to pack pants and dress shirts for everyone. I may change my mind,, but I'd like to really know the options.

May 2010 Trip Report: 2400 pictures! Beach Club, Universal, and Bay Lake Tower Grand Villa

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

From DCL's website:

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner at Cabanas is cruise casual. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts at dinnertime.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...ining/cabanas/

Looks like the dress code is the same for every night of the cruise.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
annmorr
Mouseketeer

faster service in Cabanas

We did a 7 night cruise this past January and were not able to change our second seating assignment to early dining when we boarded the ship (boarding group 3).
So we chose to eat at Cabanas on three nights (never having done this on prior cruises). The best thing about it was that service was very quick; we were usually done with our meal (from appetizer to dessert)within 45 minutes. The choice of dinners was quite limited, and the quality was not as good as in the main dining rooms.
We also felt that the servers try much too hard to please the diners and their attention to us bordered on annoying. I understand that they are training for the MDRs and they probably have been told to be very solicitous.
On our fourth night we went back to the MDR, and our head waiter told us that he would be able to get us early dining seating for the remaining two nights! I wish that had been the case from the beginning.
I'm glad we had the option of eating at Cabanas at the time we wanted, but it did not live up to my expectations. For one or two meals with kids it will be fine as long as you're there for the convenience and not the whole dining experience.
annmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmorr View Post
We did a 7 night cruise this past January and were not able to change our second seating assignment to early dining when we boarded the ship (boarding group 3).
So we chose to eat at Cabanas on three nights (never having done this on prior cruises). The best thing about it was that service was very quick; we were usually done with our meal (from appetizer to dessert)within 45 minutes. The choice of dinners was quite limited, and the quality was not as good as in the main dining rooms.
We also felt that the servers try much too hard to please the diners and their attention to us bordered on annoying. I understand that they are training for the MDRs and they probably have been told to be very solicitous.
On our fourth night we went back to the MDR, and our head waiter told us that he would be able to get us early dining seating for the remaining two nights! I wish that had been the case from the beginning.
I'm glad we had the option of eating at Cabanas at the time we wanted, but it did not live up to my expectations. For one or two meals with kids it will be fine as long as you're there for the convenience and not the whole dining experience.
I appreciate the observations. Were the menus different every night? Did they have some of the specials of the evening from the other restuarants or was it more plain?
The faster pace may appeal to us on this particular cruise.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
From DCL's website:

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner at Cabanas is cruise casual. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts at dinnertime.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...ining/cabanas/

Looks like the dress code is the same for every night of the cruise.
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like jeans are okay? I wouldn't usually wear those in the main dining rooms either. We may be able to deal with packing a couple pairs of jeans for each of us. And we can do laundry on the ship.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like jeans are okay? I wouldn't usually wear those in the main dining rooms either. We may be able to deal with packing a couple pairs of jeans for each of us. And we can do laundry on the ship.
Jeans are acceptable for any venue/night that is cruise casual. Jeans used to be on the "no shorts, tank tops, bathing suits" list, but was removed several years ago.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Jeans are acceptable for any venue/night that is cruise casual. Jeans used to be on the "no shorts, tank tops, bathing suits" list, but was removed several years ago.
Ahh, okay. So maybe we'll go to our assigned dining room if it seems like the 2 year old is doing well that day and otherwise opt for a quicker service in Cabanas. My older kids (4 and up) are all excellent in the restaurants so they will be fine either way. And my 3 month old should still be sleeping most of the time.

Perhaps we'll do Cabanas on formal/semi-formal nights too. Or we could bring one nice outfit each and see how it goes. I wouldn't want to miss Crush if we're in AP on formal night.

At least I feel like we have more options. I'm sure DH would rather skip dressing for dinner altogether, but even he can manage slipping a pair of jeans on.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

When Cabanas is open for dinner, the hours are usually 6:30 - 8:30 pm.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic