Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 75

GAC and stroller question

I'm about to go to WDW with my husband, sister, mother, and two children ages 4 and 11months. My mother has stamina issues and will be renting an ECV. I have back issues with nerve pain, but my injury is under control, and I want to try to go without a wheelchair or ECV. That may not be possible, but here is my dilemma. I cannot use a carrier for my 11 month old. My back injury will not allow me to hold her weight even using an Ergo. My husband also cannot use a carrier due to shoulder issues. That leaves only my sister to hold the baby in long lines. I just can't ask her to do that. Would it be possible, do you think, to get a GAC allowing us to use our stroller in lines when the disability is not the child's but the adult who is unable to hold her? We can hold her for brief periods, but if the wait is longer than 10 minutes, we'll be in trouble. If we had the stroller in the line, the baby would be safe, and it would also serve as a sort of walker for me. Having the stroller to lean on actually helps my walking considerably. Do you think that would be possible?
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,659
DISboards Moderator

Yes.
That is a reasonable accommodation for your needs. Other people have been able to use a stroller in lines for that reason.

You will need to explain that it is to met your needs as you did in this thread. You will need both a Guest Assistance Card and a sticker on the stroller (kind of looks like an airline baggage tag) to use it in lines.
You can find more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQ thread bar he top of this board, or follow the link in my signature.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
I'm about to go to WDW with my husband, sister, mother, and two children ages 4 and 11months. My mother has stamina issues and will be renting an ECV. I have back issues with nerve pain, but my injury is under control, and I want to try to go without a wheelchair or ECV. That may not be possible, but here is my dilemma. I cannot use a carrier for my 11 month old. My back injury will not allow me to hold her weight even using an Ergo. My husband also cannot use a carrier due to shoulder issues. That leaves only my sister to hold the baby in long lines. I just can't ask her to do that. Would it be possible, do you think, to get a GAC allowing us to use our stroller in lines when the disability is not the child's but the adult who is unable to hold her? We can hold her for brief periods, but if the wait is longer than 10 minutes, we'll be in trouble. If we had the stroller in the line, the baby would be safe, and it would also serve as a sort of walker for me. Having the stroller to lean on actually helps my walking considerably. Do you think that would be possible?
Hi Luckymom. My son is 15mo and I have gotten the stroller as a wheelchair GAC card and stroller sticker for our last 3 trips. I also have chronic back issues and ended up getting the GAC halfway through our first trip when he was 6mo. It's not just waiting in line, but getting in and out of ride vehicles, on and off the buses, etc.. The combination of everything will take a toll on your back, so best to save it as much as possible and use the stroller in line.

On all 3 trips I went to guest relations in the MK and explained my chronic back issues. I have never been given a hard time, they always give me the stroller sticker/GAC card without any issue.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 75

Thank you for the replies. I will definitely seek a GAC. Now I feel only excited about our trip. I was really worried about having to cope with walking and lines myself AND having to deal with the baby.

Would the GAC stroller as wheelchair also mean we would not have to fold the stroller for the buses? That would be a most extraordinary help!!! I was figuring for on and off buses my sister would take the baby, I would deal with my toddler and whatever cargo we had, and my husband would fold and carry the stroller. I haven't been looking forward to this, but I figured we wouldn't be taking buses so often that it would be impossible.
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran
 
Kellykins1218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
Would the GAC stroller as wheelchair also mean we would not have to fold the stroller for the buses?


No, you'll still have to take the baby out and fold the stroller. It's a safety issue.
__________________
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,183

remember to get the stroller as wheelchair tag along with the GAC. you will need both.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,659
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
No, you'll still have to take the baby out and fold the stroller. It's a safety issue.
Yes. That is true.
It is not safe or legal for a child to stay on the stroller during bus rides.

You may find some drivers go would (illegally) let you do it with the sticker, but strollers are not meant for bus transportation and your child could be injured in even a very minor accident or sudden stop.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 750

The GAC is only meant to be used when it comes to park attractions. It does not help with most lines for character greetings or the buses.

If you talk to the bus drivers they may let you load with the baby in the stroller and then wait to fold it up once you're on. Otherwise, it's not safe for the baby to stay in the stroller when the bus is moving and there really is a risk that the wheelchair restraints could damage the stroller frame. Strollers aren't meant to take the same level of strain on the frame as a wheelchair. Your previous plan is probably going to be the best since there is someone who can carry the baby on. There isn't as much room to fold the stroller on the bus even if a driver does let you load before you fold it.
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will definitely seek a GAC. Now I feel only excited about our trip. I was really worried about having to cope with walking and lines myself AND having to deal with the baby.

Would the GAC stroller as wheelchair also mean we would not have to fold the stroller for the buses? That would be a most extraordinary help!!! I was figuring for on and off buses my sister would take the baby, I would deal with my toddler and whatever cargo we had, and my husband would fold and carry the stroller. I haven't been looking forward to this, but I figured we wouldn't be taking buses so often that it would be impossible.
Unfortunately the stroller as a wheelchair GAC does not apply to the buses. That was my most difficult part of the day.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
chloelovesdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 5,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledTraveler View Post
The GAC is only meant to be used when it comes to park attractions. It does not help with most lines for character greetings or the buses.

If you talk to the bus drivers they may let you load with the baby in the stroller and then wait to fold it up once you're on. Otherwise, it's not safe for the baby to stay in the stroller when the bus is moving and there really is a risk that the wheelchair restraints could damage the stroller frame. Strollers aren't meant to take the same level of strain on the frame as a wheelchair. Your previous plan is probably going to be the best since there is someone who can carry the baby on. There isn't as much room to fold the stroller on the bus even if a driver does let you load before you fold it.
You can keep your stroller in the character greeting lines if you have the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. It's the other stamp that may/may not be permitted.

I only had one driver allow me to fold the stroller on the bus, it did make it much easier. I wish they were more flexible with this, especially in the middle of the day when there's hardly anyone on the bus.
__________________

chloelovesdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
ttintagel
DIS Veteran
 
ttintagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,131

It's also possible that you won't be able to bring it into some restaurants if they don't have room.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 75

Thank you all for your responses. I understand the safety issue. I'll just be grateful for the tremendous help of having the stroller in the lines!
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
owl0306
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 432

maybe stay at a resort where you do not need a bus as much like the mono resorts or an epcot resort. You do not have to keep folding the stroller.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
You can keep your stroller in the character greeting lines if you have the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. It's the other stamp that may/may not be permitted.

I only had one driver allow me to fold the stroller on the bus, it did make it much easier. I wish they were more flexible with this, especially in the middle of the day when there's hardly anyone on the bus.
Folding the stroller before getting on the bus is a DOT regulation.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
nhmommy
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 254

We found when the busses were not busy we could take the baby out but leave the stroller unfolded. Clearly this would not be the case on a crowed bus.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.