Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
pavicich
Earning My Ears

Beach Club- are ducks in pools a prob?

Know that stormalong bay is considered the premiere pool on property. Was reading there are lots of ducks in the pools. Is this true? Since pool isn't same as a lake ( pool not having constant current) kind of concerns me if true, but hadn't heard much about it until recently. Beach clubs vets- experience/thoughts?
pavicich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

They are around but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Here at home we sometimes will have migrating ducks take a break in our backyard pool. They are a part of the bug control habitat - The Circle of Life - as Rafiki would say.
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
owl0306
Mouseketeer

I stay at ycbc all the time and yes there are ducks but never enough of a problem for me not to enjoy SAB and I have only seen one or two in the pool and the lifeguards shoo them out. I blame the people that do not read the signs about NOT feeding wildlife.
owl0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Yes, there are ducks in the BC pools, and in other pools on property. The ducks are really cute (especially with their ducklings) swimming in the pools, until you see the mother duck poo in the pool. I am not a fan of swimming with the ducks anymore!
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavicich View Post
Know that stormalong bay is considered the premiere pool on property. Was reading there are lots of ducks in the pools. Is this true? Since pool isn't same as a lake ( pool not having constant current) kind of concerns me if true, but hadn't heard much about it until recently. Beach clubs vets- experience/thoughts?
The water in the pools are always running through a filter and the water is chlorinated, so ducks in a pools does not bother me.

If it did bother me; I would never swim in a pool because there are always people swimming in a pool.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, Port Canaveral/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
owl0306
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMouseketeers View Post
The water in the pools are always running through a filter and the water is chlorinated, so ducks in a pools does not bother me.

If it did bother me; I would never swim in a pool because there are always people swimming in a pool.
some people gross me out more in those premiere pools than the cute ducks
Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306

some people gross me out more in those premiere pools than the cute ducks
As a kid we would have to fish the Copperheads out of the pool before we went swimming, most were dead. So a couple of ducks in a pool doesn't bother me.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
As a kid we would have to fish the Copperheads out of the pool before we went swimming, most were dead. So a couple of ducks in a pool doesn't bother me.
Agree. When we lived in Alabama we had a greenbelt behind our house. We always had to check the bottom of the pool and the skimmer for snakes and other wildlife before jumping in. So a resort pool occupied by a couple of ducks? Unless the water looks like a science experiment, doesn't bother me at all.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

The ducks are not leaving anything worse in the pool that some kids do.

I have seen ducks in every pool in Disney at one time or another.

At SAB most often the ducks swim in the roped off area near Hannahs. They should be left alone. I have seen kids chase and try to play with the ducklings. Parents tell your kids to leave them alone.

I have found that the squrrills on the deck are much more annoyingand agessive .

Most importanly don't feed the animals.Whne you finish your food throw it in can.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

We stayed there in September, spent a lot of time at Stormalong Bay, there were ducks around alot, in the water, crawling under my lounge chair, but they were never bothersome. We thought they were cute, and I cant say I never saw ducks in the pools at Pop Century, AoA, and Kidani Village.
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Not a problem. They generally swim away if you approach them. They are really cute to watch.
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Ducks are probably not as big a problem as toddlers with swim diapers on.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
owl0306
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Ducks are probably not as big a problem as toddlers with swim diapers on.
so toddlers should not be able to use the pools at wdw? Swim diapers serve the purpose of protecting both the bathing suit and the pool water from the child's excrement.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl0306 View Post
so toddlers should not be able to use the pools at wdw? Swim diapers serve the purpose of protecting both the bathing suit and the pool water from the child's excrement.
As long as it stay solid.

Just pointing out that worrying about the ducks is rather pointless.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
pavicich
Earning My Ears

Thx all for the feedback. Seeing ducks at the other pools hasn't ever bothered me, didnt even register, just seemed like comments have indicated there are more than avg at SAB for some reason? Glad to know that it isn't an overwhelming issue. Look forward to checking it out for ourselves this spring!
pavicich is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: