Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
stacy~**
Mouseketeer

Have a magical time! Be sure to take lots of pictures to share with us!

I am not a big twitter person but I am heading over to follow you now! Yay!
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #32
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Well we are back

I am sitting at work, trying not to fall asleep. Our flight got in really late last night around 12:30.

We are going to get the pictures loaded onto the computer tonight, hopefully we got some good ones.

I am probably gonna write a very brief review of the trip and some tips and tricks on the main DL board, and then probably copy and paste it here.

If any of you guys have specific questions about parts of the trip that I might not get to fast enough for you (I believe someone wanted to know about the WB tour), please PM me or ask me on here.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
DisSmis
Earning My Ears

I am looking forward to reading about your trip! We are also in Columbus and are planning our first trip to Disneyland in October. We did WDW in February of this year and last year
DisSmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisSmis View Post
I am looking forward to reading about your trip! We are also in Columbus and are planning our first trip to Disneyland in October. We did WDW in February of this year and last year
Disneyland in October should be fun, you'll get to see all the Halloween stuff. We are doing WDW on the first weekend of October so we can run in the TOT 10 mile again. I really don't know what I would do without my annual MNSSHP and the Boo to you Parade.

I think I've finally got the first round of pictures on photobucket ready to go, so hopefully there will be an update today
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #35
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Day 1: give your seatbelt a tug, your neighbor a hug cause this boeing is going!

Why am I always exhausted before vacation?! And then you would think vacation will be restful, but not my vacations. There is too much to do and too much to see to ever sleep.

My week leading up to California was not too restful. Brian and I kept telling ourselves we would get most of our stuff packed up, but we never did of course.

Friday was pretty stressful, both the dog and cat had vet appointments and Columbus had suffered an ice storm the previous night, so everything was slow going. Then we parked the Challenger (rear wheel drive) on a bit of a hill so we barely were able to get out of the vet's parking lot.

I had to go to work, then we left Columbus to drop the pets off at my parents' house in Pennsylvania. We spent the night then had an early birthday party for me on Saturday morning with my family.

We made it back to Columbus around 7 pm (ugh, not what we'd planned at all). We had dinner, watched some Big Bang Theory episodes on the DVR in anticipation of our own taping, then finally started to pack.

We ended up with a carry on each and 4 bags to check. One was Brian's camping backpack with all our sleeping bags and tents and camping supplies for our night in Anza-Borrego. Then we had 2 other checked bags and an empty for souvenirs. Since southwest gives you 2 free checked bags, we figured we'd bring the empty just in case.

I think we got to bed around 11 but we didn't really sleep til midnight....cause we were going to DISNEYLAND in the morning and I was too EXCITED to sleep!! This is going to become a theme with me, I was too excited to sleep for most of the trip

Our flight was scheduled to leave Columbus at 7 and, with a layover at Phoenix, arrive in LAX at 10:50 am. It was almost a 7 hour trip time, so going from East coast to West coast time definitely worked in our favor.

I think we woke up around 5. We had some breakfast and got the car packed and were off to the airport around 545. This trip we decided to do airport parking and did the Columbus airport green lot which was $4 a day.

I really don't know what we are thinking with our airport arrival times. This will come into play later in the trip as well, but by the time the shuttle promptly picked us up at the green lot, we were down to less than an hour before our flight left.

Pretty dumb. We never leave enough time.

So I worried the whole short shuttle ride and then promptly took off when the shuttle parked, leaving Brian to look around for me but all he saw was a trail of dust, kind of like when Wile E Coyote is trying to catch the Road runner.

We checked our bags in at the counter and the attendant didn't even give us the 'late bag' tag, so I guess we were ok. We headed to our gate and only had to wait about 5 minutes to load the plane. At least we'd made it!!

I got my precious window seat (looooove looking out the window on planes!!), I don't think the plane was too full but I'm pretty sure someone still took the aisle seat next to Brian, poor guy always ends up in the middle seat.

Then came a good way to start the trip. After the flight attendants do their spiel, the pilot comes out and says this classic line 'give your seatbelt a tug, your neighbor a hug cause this boeing is going!' (I think it is a new line for southwest, the pilot on the way home said it too, but this was our first time to hear it and we loved it).

Brian slept most of the way to Phoenix and I think I slept a little too, but I also spent a lot of time looking out the window.

We arrived about half an hour early in Phoenix. We got to keep the same plane, but we had over an hour layover so we ran around the airport looking for something to eat. I am not joking when I say we ran around the entire airport...and then finally settled on something right next to our gate Go figure.

We made it back to the plane as it had started boarding, but we already had our seats saved in the third row back. That is probably the closest we've ever been to the front. This plane was completely booked, and as it took about half an hour to load we got to listen to the 2 guys across from us fake being sick so no one would sit between them. Uh guys, did you not hear the pilot say 20 times that the plane was all booked, someone will sit there.

It was kind of satisfying to see the huge (as in muscular) guy who finally took that seat, they both shut up right away and behaved the rest of the flight.

I was using the handy dandy Southwest site on my laptop to follow where we were on the map and I got this picture of our last trip's desert, Joshua Tree...

We are almost there!!

We landed right on time and since we were in the 3rd row back we didn't have long to wait.

We quickly gathered our bags and were outside waiting for an Enterprise shuttle!! Geez was it warm out!! Much better than sucky, chilly Ohio. Pah, good riddance!!

Notes:

Southwest is probably my most favoritest airline ever. Free bags, and the flight attendants are always so nice. Plus, the pilot gave me my first chapter title.

LAX is really not a bad airport. Everyone always says it is so big and confusing, and I thought it was easy. A lot easier than finding the Magical Express part of the Orlando airport, anyway.

Coming up:

an update in which there are actually a lot of pictures! (I have never been a real big airport picture taker).

-we arrive at our first stop: Anaheim!! Are we too tired from the flight, or are we ready to hit Disneyland?!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
julydeya
Mouseketeer

Very nice report. Looking forward to the next part.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #37
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julydeya View Post
Very nice report. Looking forward to the next part.
Thank you
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Mario Kart green shells can't hurt me

We last left our intrepid heroes as they waited and hoped for an Enterprise shuttle, lets watch...

Rental car buses for every other company kept coming and going, but we were left sadly waiting on the curb for an Enterprise bus. We must have been waiting a million years (or 10 minutes). But it feels like a million years when your that close to Disneyland.

Finally one pulled up. It actually took about 15 minutes to get to the Enterprise building. There are a lot of red lights around the airport (this was weird since it might have taken 5 minutes on the return trip).

We checked in using one of the computer kiosks. I thought I had to go stand in the regular line after I had done that (who knows why I think the things I do). But I quickly realized I could just go outside to the car lot. There were attendants waiting there who took us right over to our car.

We got an economy car for a pretty good price through expedia. Apparently, there was only one economy car left by the time we got there. Weird. We like to get the economy size because they are usually:

a. the cheapest
b. get the best gas mileage
c. there are only 2 of us and 25 bags, so we can fit

The enterprise people seemed to be very concerned about customer service and were very nice. They did inform us that we probably wouldn't fit in an economy (seriously, every rental company does this, stop trying to up sell).

It came as quite a shock to everyone, but both of us, and our luggage fit in the rental car and we were finally off.

This time I vowed to keep a tight watch on my license so it didn't get left behind like the last trip. Success!!

Brian got the GPS set up and we were off to Disneyland!

Look, a picture of an overpass!! We are in California, driving, to Disneyland! Yay!

We found this NPR station that was playing all the Oscar nominated movie soundtracks since the Oscars were that night. First up was a song from James Bond. We always name our rental cars, and we decided to go with a James Bond theme since the song was playing and Brian is obsessed
with Skyfall. Think we saw it 4-5 times just in theaters. Our car wasn't really very powerful or James Bondish, so we settled on 00Sassy.

We had only been on the highway headed to Anaheim for about 10 minutes when all my years of video game playing were finally justified in one heart wrenching moment.

We were driving merrily along humming Oscar nominated songs when a car in front of us blew it's tire.

Ok that picture didn't really happen, but it was a little bit of chaos (if I'm lyin I'm cryin, Mater's tall tales).

The tire scraps went shooting off in every direction and the hubcap came rocketing backwards straight toward us.

All Brian could think of was the $500 damage penalty the Enterprise woman had just told him. All I could think was...

green turtle shell dodge!

Nice try Luigi!! Loser. Luigi is kind of the butt of all our jokes when we play Mario Kart. We always talk about him being overshadowed by Mario and never getting to win.

If you have ever played Mario Kart you know what I'm talking about.

So we managed to narrowly dodge the flying hubcap and I smoothly continued on the way. I am pretty cool under pressure. And nothing was going to derail me from getting to Disneyland.

*toad voice* I'm the beeeest!!

The rest of our drive was uneventful.

Well, until I got lost in the Disneyland parking garage.

I think we got off the highway one exit early, and Brian was trying to give me directions and I went right instead of left and ended up in the Disneyland parking garage. Luckily, after I explained my mistake to the attendant he gave us an exit sticker and we went right back out and quickly found Katella and our beloved Super 8.

We got checked in, since it was around noon the room was not ready yet but we got our parking pass. We decided to head right to Disneyland (what else were we gonna do, sit in the car??). We got the sun tan lotion outta the luggage (I'm pretty much a vampire), grabbed a few trader vinylmations and decided to take the big backpack with our sweatshirts.

There is a picture of me, Figment and 00Sassy in the Super 8 parking lot.

Usually at WDW we are not backpack people, if it can't fit in our pockets we don't take it. This way we can bypass the usually loooong annoying security lines. But at Disneyland everyone has to go through the security lines, and we remembered how chilly the nights got last trip so we decided to just take the backpack each day for our sweatshirts. And good thing we did cause it got very cold at night.

We quickly started off to Disneyland. It is about a 15 minute walk from Super 8, can be a bit longer or shorter depending on if you hit all the lights.

And then there we were!!

Notes:

Rental cars at LAX are super easy. The road where the shuttles pick you up is directly outside the baggage carousel. Shuttles really do come quite often (every few minutes).

Super 8 is still a really sweet hotel and a great bargain ($60 something for a Sunday night).

Coming up:

How will we handle a day at Disney with no dining reservations and no plans?

Will I ever post pictures of Disneyland?!!?

About that...I actually have most of the next portion of the trip report written, but photobucket decided to upload all of my pictures out of time order. WTH, photobucket?! So now I feel like I have to wait til I get home so I can be sure of the order in which we did things. I don't want to give false details in my trip report
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

To all that come to this happy place: welcome.

The security line was only a few minutes, but there was actually quite a line to get into Disneyland.

This should have been our first clue as to the busyness of Disneyland, but I was just happy to be there.

We got to the front of the line and exchanged our paper printouts for real tickets. I got Tow Mater and Brian got Snow White. Which is pretty accurate. I am somewhat of a country bumpkin (thought I still have my hood), and Brian is a pretty princess.

We traveled slowly down main street, taking everything in. For some reason I am a little hesitant with my camera at the start of vacation. I always make it for it later by usually ending a trip with thousands of pictures.

We stopped at the time board to see what would be good to ride. Ride lines were actually pretty long for everything (an hour for the headliners, and about 30-40 minutes for non-headliners).

We decided to go left to my favorite, Adventureland!

We got a FP for IJ and wanted to get on POTC. The line was super long and we didn't feel like waiting. How do ya like that, just got there and already don't wanna wait. Just a bit snooty of us (the word snooty was kind of a theme for this trip).

We wandered over to HM and the line was pretty long for that too. To clarify, we've never been on DL HM if the line is outside the door. And this line was definitely outside the door.

After realizing we hadn't eaten anything since Phoenix, Arizona we figured a stop at the Hungry Bear sounded good.

There was no wait to get our food, we decided to share the chili burger and the sweet potato fries. And yep...no picture yet. This is probably the only time I didn't take a picture of the food.

While I was snacking on the sweet potato fries (which I looooove) and watching people wave as the train rode past...Brian ate the entire burger. I thought we were splitting it. Apparently not.

That is what I get for not paying attention.

Now that we had some food we decided that long lines didn't scare us quite so much and headed to POTC.

I think the line was really only about 15 minutes. I really just love POTC. WDW or DL version, the ride is just what really shows me what the parks are all about.

-it has amazing lifelike animatronics (especially that Jack at the end, very lifelike)
-it has good music
-it has catchy lines: we want the redhead, dead men tell no tales
-it has some thrills: going down the hills
-and you are transported to a different world.

I think that last is the most important. Most theme parks just give you thrills, which are great, I love Cedar Point. But Disney lets you be someone else, somewhere else in a different time.

Priceless. Which is why I go again and again.

Warning! First picture inside DL!!

The POTC parrot!! Does this parrot have a name in DL??

We looked around in the shop a bit. Brian found the POTC dog.

There was a tshirt in this shop that I had really wanted last time, it had the 3 hitch hiking ghosts from HM on it. I spent too much on souvenirs last time so it didn't get purchased. Sadly, we could not find it this year.

I like taking pictures of all the stuff in gift shops. A lot of the displays behind the counters are neat too.

Since all the lines were super long I let Brian pick the next activity: which was of course going to the Thunder Ranch area to see the animals!!

I think the Ranch area may have actually been blocked off at this time. One of the CMs had Pancho with her inside a little hay bale fence but he had a big crowd so we just waved and moved on. Also, of course he had a giant crowd, he is adorable.

*regrettably Pancho was not photographed at this time, I apologize for depriving everyone of his cuteness*

We continued on with our meandering towards Fantasyland.

And we ended up at...

On our last, and first ever, trip to Disneyland the Matterhorn had been down for that big refurbishment, so we were very excited to try it out this trip!

Ok, the line for the matterhorn confuses me. I am not even really sure where it starts. But that didn't matter because we figured it was over an hour anyway, so we did single rider.

I am also not even sure how the different sides work, we were put in the queue for the side closes to Tomorrowland (if that makes sense). The single rider line moved super quick for the first time minutes, and we were only about 6 people back from getting on. Then it kind of started to drag but all in all we only waited about 15 minutes in the single rider line.

At this point I got a text from my mom saying Ohio State basketball had beat #2 ranked Michigan

State. Go Bucks!!

I got my ride first, and then Brian got appointed to a different bobsled right after. I think I was the third back in the first little section.

I love rollercoasters and I love Disney so I was excited to ride a new one!

I am not really sure what I think about this ride. After riding Expedition Everest seeing the Yeti on this one was just like oh...hi yeti, I see you. I didn't think the carts were super bumpy or super smooth. I wasn't uncomfortable in the seat (I am only 5'3).

I hate to say it, but Brian and I both had a meh reaction to the Matterhorn.

We continued our slow, meandering pace and headed to Tomorrowland. We got a FP for Space and then went to Mickey's Star Traders so I could do some vinyl trading. I really enjoyed doing this at WDW, and even with the new restrictions I was looking forward to it.Minnie Moo was on the trading block (it was a double Minnie Moo, I love her and remember seeing her
from my childhood trips to WDW so I wouldn't be trading my original).

So I went to trade her and got some junk $2 at the outlet open box vinyl. The CM still made me trade and I was not pleased. If they are trying to regulate trading more by having less boxes, they should not be able to force us to trade good, blind box vinyls for junk. (I was so angry, apparently, that I can't even remember which junker it was, lol, bad redheaded quick temper).

Our IJ FP time was now up so we left Tomorrowland, made a quick trip through the castle hub and back into Adventureland!

I tried to take some indoor IJ queue pictures...

This was our longest wait for IJ this trip. We had our FPs (what is the correct plural of the abbreviation for FP??) so we got to bypass the full outside line. I think we waited 15-20 minutes. Its hard to tell with this ride since you almost constantly move.

This pre-show and queue is seriously the best ever. I love entering the temple and the feel as you get deeper inside. And all the little tricks, like pulling the bamboo to lower the roof and tugging on the rope inside the well.

And then of course the video that has Sallah, who I love. Huge Indiana Jones fan and he is the best supporting character. I also love the feel of the time era in the video, where everyone is all nicely dressed up for their foray into the temple. Which reminds me...

Today was Dapper Day!!! We were so going to dress up but we weren't planning on visiting today until the last minute and didn't have time to get an outfit together. Soooo many people participated. It was great checking out everyone else's outfit in line or as they walked by.

So yeah, a lot of people looked like the dapperly dressed people in the IJ pre-show video.

Our ride went off perfectly and the boulder was working. I don't think I've ever seen it not working, but I feel like saying if it worked or not is the thing to say.

After our narrow escape from the Forbidden Temple, we figured we best check out this new Carsland everyone was talking about. We quickly realized the parade was going on and I gaped open mouthed as we were ushered along the walking path...

DL has Simba in their parade?! I wasn't aware of this, WDW parades are never a big draw for us, but this one certainly looked interesting!

Rapunzel's tower is a sweet float.

The crowds became too much for us so we ducked into the stores to shop our way out of the park.

The ceilings and walls of shops are cool, people, remember to look up.

I love these window displays.

Who am I kidding, everyone loves them.

'I'm a fox'. 'I'm a hounddog' <insert cutest bark ever>

We got our handstamps and started the arduous process of parkhopping...

Coming Up:

Will we find Carsland!?! What will we think? Will we see a night time show?!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #40
stacy~**
Mouseketeer

Yay for your report!!

"Offseason" crowds fascinate me. We did WDW once in the offseason (January) and I never will again. You get shorter hours (which I am a park closer not opener) and reburbs and a lot of time big crowds! I hope it is just Dapper Days and it thins out for you.

I am really excited to go on the Matterhorn again. In our last (and first and only) trip only myself and my oldest daughter went on it. I agree with the "meh" BUT I am hoping to possibly get my non-thrill seeking husband and youngest to give it a try. They will do BTMRR so if I recall this is tamer than that?

So is there a thread or place to read about vinylmation trading? We are going to give it a whirl this time and I bought a few BOGO's at the Disney Store for my girls. Are these ok? They are the hidden ones. Is it the ones you can see through the package that are bad? We got a few Phineas and Ferb ones that are like that. Are these still tradable just not ones people want?
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #41
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
Yay for your report!!

"Offseason" crowds fascinate me. We did WDW once in the offseason (January) and I never will again. You get shorter hours (which I am a park closer not opener) and reburbs and a lot of time big crowds! I hope it is just Dapper Days and it thins out for you.

I am really excited to go on the Matterhorn again. In our last (and first and only) trip only myself and my oldest daughter went on it. I agree with the "meh" BUT I am hoping to possibly get my non-thrill seeking husband and youngest to give it a try. They will do BTMRR so if I recall this is tamer than that?

So is there a thread or place to read about vinylmation trading? We are going to give it a whirl this time and I bought a few BOGO's at the Disney Store for my girls. Are these ok? They are the hidden ones. Is it the ones you can see through the package that are bad? We got a few Phineas and Ferb ones that are like that. Are these still tradable just not ones people want?
Yeah I think the Matterhorn is tamer than BTMR. The only problem I can see your husband having is that the ride might be jerky or bumpy to him. It seems to be for taller people, I am not really sure.

I am not sure if there is a great thread on the DIS. There is a forum at Vinylmation Kingdom that focuses on vinylmation.

To be clear, you are allowed to trade any vinylmation you get, be it closed or open box. The thing I have an issue with is that most of the CMs will now enforce the 'you have to trade rule'. This just happened lately, before when you traded about 95% of the time you could choose to keep yours. Every once in a while on this trip I was allowed to keep mine, but the majority of the CMs enforced the rule.

The reason I had a problem was because I kept getting these vinyls that I knew were available at Disney outlets for $3 or $4. There are some people (locals mostly) who will buy the cheapo ones then trade them, hoping to get vinyls they can sell for a profit on ebay. So I was not pleased I was trading ones I'd pay regular price for and get one that was so cheap. Know what I mean?

But you are technically allowed to trade any you want, and I wouldn't worry if you want to trade a Phineas and Ferb, that will be fine.

And yeah, I know which BOGO you mean, those will be perfectly fine for trading.

Let me know if I scared you in regards to trading, it really is fun. Also, please let me know if anything I said confused you, and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask on here or send me a PM.

Thanks for reading
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #42
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Pilgrimage to Carsland

20 steps later we were there!

This time we had our portraits taken by the CMs. Mine looked ridiculous, as usual. I was squinting so hard it looked like I didn't even have any eyes.

This was our first visit to DCA after the big renovation so we took our time walking in and looking around Buena Vista Street. It was kind of weird being able to walk right into the park and not be immediately diverted with all the construction walls.

I did some more vinylmation trading here, I immediately traded back the junk one I'd gotten earlier and I ended up with a pig from space from the Muppets.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen that Muppets movie, but Brian loves the Muppets and was quite pleased with it.

Just a little side note with vinyls and Brian. He really doesn't love that I spend money on this hobby and he complains that I have too many, but he usually becomes attached to the vinyls pretty quickly and doesn't want me to trade or sell them on ebay.

We continued wandering down the Hollywood street (for some reason I thought this would be a quick way to get to Carsland) and we had our cutest moment of the trip!!

*warning* extreme cuteness

Jake from the Jake and the Neverland Pirates was walking down the sidewalk by Off the Page (the store). Not sure if he was on his way out or headed to his meet and greet area, but he had a very small boy by the hand and was walking with him. The boy may have been about 2...I am bad with ages but I don't think he had many words yet.

This little boy was letting out the most delighted ear splitting shriek I've ever heard. I feel like I need to pause here. Little kids doing ear splitting shrieks are hideous. You all know the shriek I'm referring to. But in this case, it was delightful.

The boy was so absolutely enamored with his life at that moment that I don't think he could do anything either than grin and let out this never ending shriek.

Adorable.

We moved on in our search for Carsland.

We passed by this because we were on a mission!

Geez, I musta taken the longest, most roundabout way to find this new land ever.

We were in Buena Vista street, then we moved on to Hollywood. We went all the way to the end of the street, down past TOT, into Bugs Land (this was our first time seeing Bugs Land by the way, we kind of forgot about it and didn't even walk through on our first trip)...

And finally, we saw it... *cue heavenly music*

Flashback: (this will be my only flashback, I promise, not going to turn this TR into an episode of Lost). I think Brian has only seen Cars once or twice a long time ago. I worked in a movie theater when it came out, so I was pretty familiar with it, but that was a long time ago too. We had rented the blu ray at the library on Friday and watched it with my mom that previous Friday night so we could get ourselves into the mood for Carsland.

Anyway...I can't believe Carsland! You hear everyone say that it really is Radiator Springs, but you really can't believe it til you get there. It IS Radiator Springs.

Cars isn't even my favorite Pixar film but this land is just perfect. I do appreciate all the little details in the movie, and the land definitely follows that up.

Examples of little details in the movie:
-the bugs are VW bugs
-there are little foot/tire pedals to pump the gas

Tons of little details in this land. Here are some pictures we took while we wandered and looking in all the shops:

The sign is made of old car parts!! Wooo old, rusty car parts!

Looks pretty military like to me

Cozy Cones!

We paused here and decided to try one of those Red's Apple Freezes. The line wasn't too long and then we found an empty picnic table where we could watch Lightning McQueen meeting with people.

He is such a generous car to take time out of his busy Piston Cup circuit to meet his fans.

Details!

I just remembered in time to take a picture.

We got this mostly because I'd read that it was Disney's answer to Universal's butterbeer, and we love butterbeer. This stuff?? Eh not so much, it was ok, bordering on good, but we didn't seek it out for the rest of the trip.

It was starting to get dark. We discussed our next move at the picnic bench. I suggested waiting around for the Carsland light up ceremony, so we decided to finish exploring in all the shops while we waited.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #43
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Life could be a dream, sh-boom sh-boom sh-boom

Then we discovered the RSR line, and realized that the ride had been down but was just now opening back up and we figured the single rider line would be super short. We debated for a few minutes, we were pretty sure if we got in line we'd miss the light up, but decided to go for it anyway and catch light up another time.

I think it took us about 15 minutes in the single rider line then we were on! We ended up being split into different cars.

I was going to take pictures but wasn't sure what the ride was all about so decided to wait for a later ride.

What a sweet ride! I thought it was cool that the window shield of the ride cars had eyes, but when you are inside you have an unobstructed view anyway. The start of the ride is very pretty and I like how they timed the music to the ride, when you come out from the overhang to see the waterfall the music swells.

And geez, those animatronic cars are at an all new level! Haven't seen anything quite like them. I describe them as looking 'soft', they have so many moving parts.

Brian's car got Ramone's paint shop and mine got Luigi's tires (yayayayay, I love Guido so much I can't even hardly talk about it. He is just the cutest best most special little car ever. And he had his wig on!!! Ok I need to stop or I am going to squeal out loud at work thinking about it. And that would be a tough one to explain to a room full of 7 guys...oh yeah, I'm just squealing cause this little animated car may be the cutest little thing I've ever seen in my LIFE).

Anyway...

Brian's car won and mine barely lost. Boo. We met up at the exit and I wanted to go to Flo's for dinner. Brian wasn't hungry. Wonder why...could it have been because he ate OUR whole chili burger? Hahaha, not that I'm bitter because Flo's was amazing and made up for it.

The line looked long, but was very organized and fast. We were handed a menu when we walked in. Brian let me pick the meal we would share since he wasn't so hungry. Then he went to scout a table and see which room was the best to sit in.

There were basically 3 areas to sit in (if I remember correctly). You could go right into Doc Hudson's space, which was very bright and had some interesting detail I have pictures of later. If you go left there is a little area, an indoor area with a big glass view of RSR, and outdoor seating.

It had really got quite chilly at this point so we chose inside. We went to the big window room hoping we could see RSR, but it had grown dark outside at this point so we really couldn't see past the reflection in the window.

That is the ceiling/wall of the room we ate inside.

We had decided to eat...

the pork loin with coca-cola BBQ sauce.

I was a little afraid of the menu. I am really more of a sandwich person and the thought of eating this type of meat without bread was weird to me. But it was DELICIOUS. Soooo good. Don't be afraid of it.

Also, when you get an entree you get to pick 2 sides. We chose the corn and the mashed potatoes, then got baked beans for a few dollars more. This was more than enough for 2 people, Brian was still a little full from earlier so he just had a few slices of meat and the mashed potatoes.

Oh, and Brian also tried the Mater's Tulsa Tea. He liked it, but it was a pretty regular drink that you could probably get at the store.

We then bundled up in our sweatshirts (I also had a winter hat which helped keep me warm pretty well) and headed back outside and got some more pictures.

We saw Lightning headed off to bed for the night

And his bevy of retainers...

The whole area just looked spectacular lit up at night:

As I'm copying and pasting these links I have the sha boom song from the light up scene from Cars in my head.

Life could be a dream
Life could be a dream, sh-boom
Life could be a dream, sh-boom
If I could take you up in paradise up above,
sh-boom If you would tell me I'm the only one that you love
Life could be a dream sweetheart

Hello hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again, boom

Mater!! With his padiddle (one headlight). We decided we'd like to meet Mater at some point, he is one funny tow truck.

The backside of Mater! (little Junge Cruise joke there)

Groovy man.

Hippie.

We continued our wanderings and got a FP for Soarin that was good in like, the next hour. So pretty sweet. Then we continued back down to Hollywood.

We wanted to check out the Mad Tea Party that was in full swing.

The band playing was a lot better than I thought they'd be. They were really good actually, and there was a sizable crowd gathered to watch and dance along.

The bands' costumes were really cool.

We decided to do a quick ride on Monster's Inc. However, it broke down right before we got on.

Boo.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #44
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Prepare for take off

We went back outside and listened to another song.

Got a kick out of the 'drink me' bar, pretty clever.

Then it was back to one of our favorites, and a ride my mom specifically asked us to ride for her:

With a FP the wait was about 5 minutes.

Love that. Even those little beauties.

Ride was amazing like usual. It is weird to ride Soarin while you are in California and to think how close you are to all those places.

Our time for Space was up so we criss crossed the parks again (everyone Jump Jump. If you have no idea what I am talking about, there is a song, Jump, by Criss Cross. Its pretty bad, so anyway...)

On our way to Space we got a ST FP

The ST FP machines are Gonk droids!!!!

Hmm, I have in my trip notes that we walked onto POTC and HM, but I think that is a lie. I have no pictures of that and we were very tired by this point so I doubt we'd troop over there. Moving on...

We did have a little time before our Space passes were good so we got in line for Captain EO. I know a lot of people don't like this show but we love it. Its so campy and Hooter has to be the best muppet type character ever!

We had to sit outside and wait about 10 minutes for our theater to open and I was getting pretty grumpy. I think we'd had a debatable 5 hours of sleep the night before and it had been a long day of travel and running around. Plus I thought it was freezing.

Finally we were let in and we enjoyed our space voyage with the Captain and his crew.

Hooter!!

Use your trunk, Hooter!!

I searched through Google but could not find a picture of all his plastic food that falls out of his bunk and onto MJ when the ship crash lands. I'm talking, like, blatant fake plastic food that we all had when we were young for our fake kitchens. Like that plastic cooked egg.

And then one of the other Muppets yells battle stations!! And they all run to consoles and Hooter jumps into his bed to hide.

Also, I think George Lucas' creative well was running dry. Our good friend Hoots McGoots has a passing resemblance to another keyboard playing pachyderm...

Max Rebo, featured in Return of the Jedi in Jabba's palace.

Then there is Hoots' snazzy little dance at the end. And yes, we've also made up nicknames for Hooter if you haven't caught on. And I may have bought my little sister the last stuffed Hooter at the WDW outlet in Orlando for a steep discount, and given it to her when she joined us for the trip. She may have been delighted to receive him.

Oh Hooter, we love ya you smelly little dirty elephant.

I'm glad everything works out ok in the end and you falling into your 80s keyboard doesn't get MJ killed by Angelica Huston.

Oh yeah, the DL theater showing EO is crazy. The one in WDW only does the bouncing thing when MJ and his back up dancers are coming toward Angelica. The one in DL does it that whole battle sequence. Enough is enough DL, take it down a notch, we're all having trouble keeping our $10 churros down.

Space FP window was open!! I love DL Space, it makes me not want to ride WDW's. Brian is convinced WDW bought some pre made coaster for the WDW Space because it is just so different.

There was no wait for our FP. Ride was amazing as usual.

Our FPs for ST were still about 45 minutes in the future, and it was about 10 at the time and we were just beat. DL was open for another hour but we couldn't do it. 5 hours of sleep and in our time it was 1 am. We handed our FPs for ST to the CM at the entrance and said maybe he could pass them out.

We headed out. I think it was a pretty successful day. In retrospect, I wish we'd taken time to watch the fireworks. We were thinking of doing WOC but didn't feel like it at the time.

We trudged back to our Super 8. Got there around 10:30. Stopped by the front desk and got our room key/number. Brian moved the car to our room and we headed up to the second floor. We got the front building that has the lobby.

I don't even think we turned on the tv, we just zonked out.

Coming up:

Our second day at Disney! We have a Blue Bayou reservation, hopefully it turns out better than last time!!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Great night pictures in Carsland! Looking forward to reading more

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: