Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #511
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Would it be nearly impossible during spring break to rent one from Disney (I don't want to do off-site) after arrival or would I really need to reserve now?
Well, well, well...I can't believe you are actually sticking with the cabins True to form, I see you are doing your research about your next resort You'll enjoy FW...seriously. And if your hubby said "you decide about the golf carts"...that would be an automatic call to reserve it! Like the PP said, even if you don't rent one you will still have a fabulous time. The cart just adds to the overall experience.

Enjoy your planning!
Heather

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #512
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Well, well, well...I can't believe you are actually sticking with the cabins True to form, I see you are doing your research about your next resort You'll enjoy FW...seriously. And if your hubby said "you decide about the golf carts"...that would be an automatic call to reserve it! Like the PP said, even if you don't rent one you will still have a fabulous time. The cart just adds to the overall experience.

Enjoy your planning!
Heather
Still stuck to FWC, but the first three nights (at the 40% off) is harder to nail down, but AKL/CL is still there - for now

Sounds like I need to just go ahead and reserve the cart now. I can just see none being available when we get there since it's spring break. Since it's considered "recreation" (I think), I wonder if they offer an AP discount at least? You know how I like a good discount. Did you get one when you rented? Has anyone else?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #513
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Still stuck to FWC, but the first three nights (at the 40% off) is harder to nail down, but AKL/CL is still there - for now

Sounds like I need to just go ahead and reserve the cart now. I can just see none being available when we get there since it's spring break. Since it's considered "recreation" (I think), I wonder if they offer an AP discount at least? You know how I like a good discount. Did you get one when you rented? Has anyone else?
WHAT??? Did I read that correctly?? AKL is now up in the air?! ...I should not be surprised I'll continue to watch the ticker closely to see what happens.

Go ahead, KOOK, and just do it. I'm hoping you took your own advice and called yesterday for a ressie....but if not, you can pick up the phone and call today See how much fun we're having with the golf cart! Your DD will thank you!

In all seriousness, joking aside, have you thought about renting one for only part of your stay? I don't know how long you will be there, but I'm assuming it's your usual week+ stay. And when we rented one, we didn't get any discount...but of course I never asked either

Heather

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #514
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
WHAT??? Did I read that correctly?? AKL is now up in the air?! ...I should not be surprised I'll continue to watch the ticker closely to see what happens.

Go ahead, KOOK, and just do it. I'm hoping you took your own advice and called yesterday for a ressie....but if not, you can pick up the phone and call today See how much fun we're having with the golf cart! Your DD will thank you!

In all seriousness, joking aside, have you thought about renting one for only part of your stay? I don't know how long you will be there, but I'm assuming it's your usual week+ stay. And when we rented one, we didn't get any discount...but of course I never asked either

Heather
Thanks so much for the inspirational cart photo! I love how the rearview mirror runs the width of the cart. Will it beep when I back-up? Can I honk at armadillos? Still haven't reserved one as I'm paralyzed with indecision. I really feel like I need to make a decision based on how crowded the buses are and where the cabin is located. We requested Loop 2100 which is closest to the marina area.

Not only is AKL/CL up on the air, but it fell to earth and crashed. Decided it would be better to be able to walk for a few days over to Epcot for F&G and DHS so I changed (back) to BWI. Wasn't crazy about their CL last spring break, so I happily booked without. I have to admit that I did try to get it for our whole trip, but it's no longer available through the SOG overflow, so FWC remains. My only real concern are those double beds which will seem awfully small for two 5'10" adults used to a queen. DH thinks he'll sleep in a bunk and I can take the bed, but he has misgivings about that and told me to try to get BWI for the whole trip, which I can't.

So there it is, just worried about the size of the beds and golf cart necessity, but it's only for 5 nights so we'll be just fine, right? (This question is for everyone)

Just curious: Do any of you taller guests have any experience sleeping in the bunk?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #515
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

We are vacationing at FW for the first time in August, and I have two questions...

1) Are the coffee pots real coffee pots, or are they the same as in the other resorts where you need those packets to make coffee?

2) How far, distance wise, is it from the Outpost to the Settlement?

Thanks so much. We are VERY excited.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #516
jennab
Mouseketeer

Dh is 6'2" and I am 5'3". We share a queen at home and did fine in the full. He also would move to sleep on the bottom bunk sometimes and didn't seem to have a problem with that either&

I believe coffee pots were normal ones (filters). Not sure about the distance questions. We used the internal bus and didn't find it a long wait
Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #517
WDWKOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennab View Post
Dh is 6'2" and I am 5'3". We share a queen at home and did fine in the full. He also would move to sleep on the bottom bunk sometimes and didn't seem to have a problem with that either
Thank you, jennab!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #518
SpartanMommy
Mouseketeer

Great thread!! So much wonderful information, and I have only just begun reading! We (me, DH and DD) are planning a trip to WDW with my parents in 2015 and we were going to do the All Star family suites. Today I started looking into the cabins and this pretty much sold us on FW! Thanks!
1999 - Disneyland
2006 - Mom's Birthday at ASM
2008 - Quick Family Trip

Planning:
Winter 2015- DD's First WDW Princess Trip! FW Cabins
Winter 2016- Mom's Birthday Bash?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #519
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
We are vacationing at FW for the first time in August, and I have two questions...

1) Are the coffee pots real coffee pots, or are they the same as in the other resorts where you need those packets to make coffee?

2) How far, distance wise, is it from the Outpost to the Settlement?

Thanks so much. We are VERY excited.

When we were there in 2011, there were 2 coffee pots...one big, one small. I attached a link to our FW review. There's also a picture that shows both coffee pots.

Fort Wilderness Cabin Review

I'm not sure about the distance from the Outpost to the Settlement Have you tried looking on Allears, yet?

Quote:
Thanks so much for the inspirational cart photo! I love how the rearview mirror runs the width of the cart. Will it beep when I back-up? Can I honk at armadillos? Still haven't reserved one as I'm paralyzed with indecision. I really feel like I need to make a decision based on how crowded the buses are and where the cabin is located. We requested Loop 2100 which is closest to the marina area.

Not only is AKL/CL up on the air, but it fell to earth and crashed. Decided it would be better to be able to walk for a few days over to Epcot for F&G and DHS so I changed (back) to BWI. Wasn't crazy about their CL last spring break, so I happily booked without. I have to admit that I did try to get it for our whole trip, but it's no longer available through the SOG overflow, so FWC remains. My only real concern are those double beds which will seem awfully small for two 5'10" adults used to a queen. DH thinks he'll sleep in a bunk and I can take the bed, but he has misgivings about that and told me to try to get BWI for the whole trip, which I can't.

So there it is, just worried about the size of the beds and golf cart necessity, but it's only for 5 nights so we'll be just fine, right? (This question is for everyone)

Just curious: Do any of you taller guests have any experience sleeping in the bunk?
Hmmm....so shocking you switched. I KNEW it wouldn't last. Works for me, though. BWI/BWV is our next destination, so I'm expecting a marvel review from you with pictures, of course.

Ok...so how about sleeping on the Murphy bed in the den area??? You can have one double, and hubby can have the other. Bill and I had a difficult time sleeping in that double. HOWEVER....we also said that it wouldn't prevent us from going back. What did you ever do about the golf cart???

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #520
sahara910
Mouseketeer

driving

I have a question can you drive your own car to the campfire/ pool?
We are driving there this weekend for just 1 night (so no carts) but I also have a broken leg and don't want to walk any further than necessary. Bicycles don't work with this giant boot

Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #521
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Woo HOO!!
Just booked Cabins for September for 1 week!! Our first time ever there besides doing Hoop De Doo 8 years ago!! It is the best option for our family of five having been priced out by the huge increases for Poly/Contemporary..the last time we stayed we had 35% off room AND free dining!! Where did the days go??

So questions, I would search through the past posts but my computer is down to 10% battery, puppy (sleeping on couch to potty train this thing) is on my chest and I am NOT getting up to plug this computer in or puppy will want to go out! HA!

Am I right to assume that IF they offer Free Dining that the Cabins are not excluded from such deals??

My son is 6'3 so happy your hubby was good with beds!

Are all cabins the same decor or are some newer than others? Which one to request?? We like to get to parks QUICK Spend all day there but may change our mind once we hang out here!

Thanks!!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #522
jennab
Mouseketeer

We were at the cabins on feb and used a free dining PIN so they should be included with the other moderates (whatever the free dining option is - ours was the regular plan)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #523
peterssm
Earning My Ears

Subscribing!! It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I just finished ALL 35 pages! Just like a great book, I couldn't put my phone down!😀 We've stayed at FW cabins before, 2010, and are planning a trip for Nov. 2014! 4 more days until I can book👍! My biggest issue right now is the golf cart issue. There will be 6 adults and 3 kids. My MIL will need an ECV for the parks but doesn't use one at home. After reading all the posts I'm convinced Disney will make the transportation easy for her! With the new pricing out, and because we will be there the week of Thanksgiving, the amount for the cabins is VERY high👎! If we didn't have so long to make payments it wouldn't even be a possibility! So the added expense of carts (we'd need 2) is almost overwhelming😱! I'm stopping now to go read Heather's earlier TR where I'm sure I will be talked into the cart ressie! Any encouragement and cost saving options are welcome! Thanks for all the previous detailed info!!'

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #524
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterssm View Post
Subscribing!! It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I just finished ALL 35 pages! Just like a great book, I couldn't put my phone down!😀 We've stayed at FW cabins before, 2010, and are planning a trip for Nov. 2014! 4 more days until I can book👍! My biggest issue right now is the golf cart issue. There will be 6 adults and 3 kids. My MIL will need an ECV for the parks but doesn't use one at home. After reading all the posts I'm convinced Disney will make the transportation easy for her! With the new pricing out, and because we will be there the week of Thanksgiving, the amount for the cabins is VERY high👎! If we didn't have so long to make payments it wouldn't even be a possibility! So the added expense of carts (we'd need 2) is almost overwhelming😱! I'm stopping now to go read Heather's earlier TR where I'm sure I will be talked into the cart ressie! Any encouragement and cost saving options are welcome! Thanks for all the previous detailed info!!'
Hi. There is an offsite company that rents carts Kenny's Tee Time Golf Carts. You should be able to find some threads on here. They are considerably less than Disney and probably will come out to the same cost for two of Kenny's carts vs. one of Disney's for the week. You should reserve with him as soon as you do your Disney reservation. We used one last year from Kenny and were satisfied. The only difference with Disney carts is that the roof did NOT cover the back seat, which made it a little rough driving in the rain. But we learned to have umbrellas LOL. It does come with a rain cover so you can stay dry and cover it when you're at the parks.

Have fun. We love a cabin at the Fort over any other place and hopefully will be switching there if free dining comes out for our dates in Nov/December this year.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #525
peterssm
Earning My Ears

Thank you! I think we are going to just go with 1 gc to keep expenses down. With MIL in the ECV, the rest of us can just leave earlier to catch the internal system and meet up at the settlement or boat. Not sure if all the running around in the fort will be good on the ECV as far as battery charge goes, so she might just ride the buses with us anyway.

I'm really worried about the crowd levels during the time we are going. Can anyone provide personal experience as to what we should expect?? For comparables, our last family trip was the end of July. How do the crowds compare? We followed tourguide Mike's plans and were able to have a very enjoyable time, taking breaks every afternoon at the cabin to avoid heat!

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: