Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #31
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I've posted before about my experience with FJ a few years ago (back before they had the modified seats). I went in August (after the ride opened that June). I was staying onsite and every morning went to early opening and made a bee line to FJ, where I went first through the queu, then would ride it over and over through the single rider line. I bet I rode that thing a hundred times that week. Back then the CM would give the restraint a little push if needed. I always got two clicks and the CM would push a little to get the third. Anyway about the third or fourth day, I rode it like three times, then went back through single rider to ride it a fourth time in a row. That particular ride, I hopped in, pulled the restraint down, easily got two clicks, then waited for the CM to push it on down. Instead a different CM was there and told me I had to exit the ride. I told him I had just ridden the thing three times and this was the fourth that morning and had also ridden it every day since I had been there, and the CM always helped me get the third click. He informed me, that the CMs were not allowed to do that and I had to get off. I waited until that afternoon and took a chance that a different CM was working and rode it again several times with no problem. I also rode it every day for the rest of the week without problems. It was only that one CM that refused to assist the riders in any way. The rest had no problem pushing down on the restraint a little, as long as you were close.

Since they started the modified seats, I have not had a problem getting the clicks on my own.
We had the similar issue except it was my DBF's first time to try and he was so embarrassed. He used the test seat outside and was just barely unable to do it himself so thought he would give it a shot. He got up to the front and got 2 of the 3 needed clicks and was so excited so he asked for help. The employee came and barely touched it and said sorry you have to get off and they ended up having to manually release the harness system. My DBF has always been a big guy and was so looking forward to the ride that it destroyed the rest of our day at Universal. The seat sizes are the whole reason we don't go to Universal any more because he hasn't made it to the point he needs to just yet and we aren't going to pay all that money to not be able to ride a lot of the rides. There was very little at IOA he could actually ride and you can only do the same 5 rides so much in one day.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #32
HarleyGirl514
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
We had the similar issue except it was my DBF's first time to try and he was so embarrassed. He used the test seat outside and was just barely unable to do it himself so thought he would give it a shot. He got up to the front and got 2 of the 3 needed clicks and was so excited so he asked for help. The employee came and barely touched it and said sorry you have to get off and they ended up having to manually release the harness system. My DBF has always been a big guy and was so looking forward to the ride that it destroyed the rest of our day at Universal. The seat sizes are the whole reason we don't go to Universal any more because he hasn't made it to the point he needs to just yet and we aren't going to pay all that money to not be able to ride a lot of the rides. There was very little at IOA he could actually ride and you can only do the same 5 rides so much in one day.
I'm sorry y'all had such a bad experience! That's what I'm worried about with my DH. He's a big guy, very broad in the shoulders and he carries his weight in his midsection. I think he's deliciously burly! I just so want him to be able to ride the rides! He is 6', 300 lbs. All these posts have confused me because some say they have been able to ride as larger people and others haven't.

DH , Me , DD (12) DS (11) , DS (9) , DD (6) , DS (5)
HarleyGirl514 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #33
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl514 View Post
I'm sorry y'all had such a bad experience! That's what I'm worried about with my DH. He's a big guy, very broad in the shoulders and he carries his weight in his midsection. I think he's deliciously burly! I just so want him to be able to ride the rides! He is 6', 300 lbs. All these posts have confused me because some say they have been able to ride as larger people and others haven't.
That's why they haven't been able to post the exact restrictions...it differs so much from person to person.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo

That's why they haven't been able to post the exact restrictions...it differs so much from person to person.
I feel like they could post dimensions of the restraint system. If they know it closes to x CM or x IN they could post that. Then someone can sit or stand at home and measure themselves to get a better idea if it is worth going to try or not.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
I feel like they could post dimensions of the restraint system. If they know it closes to x CM or x IN they could post that. Then someone can sit or stand at home and measure themselves to get a better idea if it is worth going to try or not.
The restraints don't come straight down. They come down at an angle. So the dimensions will be different depending on the person's height. What may hit one person's shoulders would be another person's stomach or another person's thighs.

You can see in this pictures how these people fit so differently in the seats. The restraint comes to a different level on each of them. So because it is an angled restraint that comes into a v-shape, it is really hard to accurately give a dimension.Some people find that it isn't their width that is the problem but their thighs.

It is tough to make restaints that hold everyone in tightly without having some people unable to ride.

Last edited by damo; 02-23-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Great pictures, damo!

Body type factors in a lot when it comes to whether or not the restraints will fit. Someone who is big and healthy and is comprised mostly of muscle, with very tough arms and stomach, might not be able to ride; while someone who is larger and considered obese may be able to simply because their bodies have more give.

It's just not something that can be figured out by dimensions; how your body reacts to the restraint is a huge factor in whether or not you can fit.

For anyone that is concerned- all you have to do is try out the test seats out front. All kinds of people sit in those seats, nobody will think less of you for it! You don't have to get pulled out of line to be put into the test seat at the end of the line if you don't want to be. If you know whether or not you can fit you can simply let the attendants know at the top
BrinkofSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #37
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine View Post
Great pictures, damo!

Body type factors in a lot when it comes to whether or not the restraints will fit. Someone who is big and healthy and is comprised mostly of muscle, with very tough arms and stomach, might not be able to ride; while someone who is larger and considered obese may be able to simply because their bodies have more give.

It's just not something that can be figured out by dimensions; how your body reacts to the restraint is a huge factor in whether or not you can fit.

For anyone that is concerned- all you have to do is try out the test seats out front. All kinds of people sit in those seats, nobody will think less of you for it! You don't have to get pulled out of line to be put into the test seat at the end of the line if you don't want to be. If you know whether or not you can fit you can simply let the attendants know at the top
There are even people who said they couldn't fit wearing jean shorts but could fit when they wore a stretchy short. So body give is definitely a factor.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

I'm going to be a little repetitive because I still cannot understand why FJ couldn't be more accommodating to varying sizes (big, small, thin, short, fat, fit but muscular, etc). It was built by Universal to bring in a lot of people, it's a new ride so it's not stuck to trying to fit to specs of an existing ride that they are remodeling, and it's not a roller coaster.

As the great pics that damo shared show, it's 4 seats side by side that are moved by an arm that takes the seats from point A to B throughout the ride. There are no upside downs or even tight cork screws - just rocking back and forth and side to side vigorously.

As I've also stated I'm no engineer, but for people saying it's impossible to build a ride to accommodate all sizes I just disagree. If Rock-n-Roller Coaster at Disney can fit me (5.9 and over 240 and large chested) and my 10 year old cousin at 90 pounds then I think Universal can figure out FJ.

Now I'm not going to compare Rock-N-Roller coaster to Hulk or Dragons because I realize those coasters are more intense and are made by the same specs by the same company so fine...but to say FJ needs some sort of special restraints that cannot fit a larger range of sizes just cannot be true.

And to the point that body shape matters as much as weight so Universal can't publish weight guidelines I'll even concede that point, but there should be some sort of note indicating that there are size restrictions on their website where they list other ride restrictions. I didn't research the issue before going to Universal but I did review the ride descriptions and there was nothing. So I was surprised when I got there and had problems (although I was able to ride everything). And for people to pay as much as they pay to go to Universal, many to go on FJ, and then get turned away is kind of stinky. They should have some sort of heads-up for guests on their website to indicate that there may be a problem.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #39
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
I'm going to be a little repetitive because I still cannot understand why FJ couldn't be more accommodating to varying sizes (big, small, thin, short, fat, fit but muscular, etc). It was built by Universal to bring in a lot of people, it's a new ride so it's not stuck to trying to fit to specs of an existing ride that they are remodeling, and it's not a roller coaster.

As the great pics that damo shared show, it's 4 seats side by side that are moved by an arm that takes the seats from point A to B throughout the ride. There are no upside downs or even tight cork screws - just rocking back and forth and side to side vigorously.

As I've also stated I'm no engineer, but for people saying it's impossible to build a ride to accommodate all sizes I just disagree. If Rock-n-Roller Coaster at Disney can fit me (5.9 and over 240 and large chested) and my 10 year old cousin at 90 pounds then I think Universal can figure out FJ.

Now I'm not going to compare Rock-N-Roller coaster to Hulk or Dragons because I realize those coasters are more intense and are made by the same specs by the same company so fine...but to say FJ needs some sort of special restraints that cannot fit a larger range of sizes just cannot be true.

And to the point that body shape matters as much as weight so Universal can't publish weight guidelines I'll even concede that point, but there should be some sort of note indicating that there are size restrictions on their website where they list other ride restrictions. I didn't research the issue before going to Universal but I did review the ride descriptions and there was nothing. So I was surprised when I got there and had problems (although I was able to ride everything). And for people to pay as much as they pay to go to Universal, many to go on FJ, and then get turned away is kind of stinky. They should have some sort of heads-up for guests on their website to indicate that there may be a problem.
But RNRC isn't leaving you hanging face down like FJ. It has g-forces that are pushing you into your seat. I am sure they could have toned the ride down considerably and changed the restraints. I don't think they wanted to do that.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #40
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
But RNRC isn't leaving you hanging face down like FJ. It has g-forces that are pushing you into your seat. I am sure they could have toned the ride down considerably and changed the restraints. I don't think they wanted to do that.
I'm just going to respectively disagree. With the money they put into FJ and today's engineering marvels I think something better could have been designed. I'm not saying RNRC is the same as FJ I'm just saying they make it work for a ride that flips you upside down and on other rides that require harnesses so I believe it can be done.

I've ridden rides at other parks where I'm hanging upside down and fit without modified seating. And I'm not even so concerned about me sitting in modified seating as much as the people who get turned away all together.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #41
funkbucket007
Incinerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
The problem is that it isn't any defined weight that is the problem. It tends to be a combination of shoulder width/chest width/thigh width/hips width. There's no way that they can define the limitations. You really need to use the test seats. There are normal and modified test seats at the front of rides that may be an issue.

Use this thread for comparisons... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2489210
Exactly. I'm 6' 4", 250 lbs. and have fit on everything on Universal property. On Hulk (and the other coasters), I may only get two or so "clicks" on the shoulder restraint but have plenty of seatbelt slack. Unfortunately, due to differing body types, there won't ever be an easy answer to this.
"We have created characters and animated them in the dimension of depth, revealing through them to our perturbed world that the things we have in common far outnumber and outweigh those that divide us." - Walt Disney

Me DW DS/11 DS/7

funkbucket007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #42
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshak22 View Post
I'm just going to respectively disagree. With the money they put into FJ and today's engineering marvels I think something better could have been designed. I'm not saying RNRC is the same as FJ I'm just saying they make it work for a ride that flips you upside down and on other rides that require harnesses so I believe it can be done.

I've ridden rides at other parks where I'm hanging upside down and fit without modified seating. And I'm not even so concerned about me sitting in modified seating as much as the people who get turned away all together.
I'm sure the manufacturers and Universal have done their best to try and accommodate larger guests. However, every machine has its limits. The vehicles are KUKA robotic arms. They're not supported by a track like a roller coaster is. The individual robotic arm is responsible for the full force of the weight. It's a revolutionary ride system, and it's unfortunate that not everyone can experience it; but I think it is what it is.

The great thing that has come of it, though, has been people changing their lives and losing weight to be able to fit on this ride. I think that's incredible.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #43
Jules123
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkofSunshine

I'm sure the manufacturers and Universal have done their best to try and accommodate larger guests. However, every machine has its limits. The vehicles are KUKA robotic arms. They're not supported by a track like a roller coaster is. The individual robotic arm is responsible for the full force of the weight. It's a revolutionary ride system, and it's unfortunate that not everyone can experience it; but I think it is what it is.

The great thing that has come of it, though, has been people changing their lives and losing weight to be able to fit on this ride. I think that's incredible.
My BF and I are visiting in May. He is a big guy 6'4, 320 lbs and he is currently trying to lose weight to fit on the ride. Every time he wants to eat something fattening, we chant "Harry Potter Harry Potter". It's working, he's already lost 26 lbs over the last 2 months! )
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #44
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules123 View Post
My BF and I are visiting in May. He is a big guy 6'4, 320 lbs and he is currently trying to lose weight to fit on the ride. Every time he wants to eat something fattening, we chant "Harry Potter Harry Potter". It's working, he's already lost 26 lbs over the last 2 months! )
That's awesome! Best of luck to him in reaching his goal!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #45
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules123 View Post
That's great!!!

We've had so many people talk about how they have changed their lifestyle to try to be able to ride more rides at Universal. It really does seem to be a good motivator.

loveshak22...no matter what Universal put in as a ride, there would always be a segment of the population that was not happy. Whether it be too spinny (Cat in the Hat) or bumpy (Spiderman) or fast (Hulk, Dragon Challenge)or 3D (Shrek, Terminator, Despicable Me, Gringott's) or have scary parts (FJ) or be too mild (High in the Sky Trolley) or boring (Twister) or too much simulation (Simpsons, Shrek, Despicable Me, FJ) or too many roller coasters (Mummy, RRR, Gringott's, DC, Hulk) or scenes that are too dark or bright (FJ, Spiderman), or too wet (Popeye and Dudley and Jurassic Park) or too loud (music around the parks) or that it causes motion sickness(Forbidden Journey, Simpsons, Spiderman), or not themed enough (Dr. Doom, Storm Force Acceletron), that there is a height limitation (Pterandon Flyers), use of strobe lights (many of them) or that you can't ride with a prosthetic limb (Dragon Challenge) it wouldn't please everyone. They made a decision as to what they wanted and judging by the number of people that go through that ride every day, it seems to be impressing many people. You can't please everyone. I feel sorry for anyone who can't ride any ride for whatever reason but that's life.

Last edited by damo; 02-24-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: