Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
southlake
Mouseketeer

3 year old - Small World Nursery or Oceaneer's Club?

If you had a 3 yr old onboard, did they prefer the Small World Nursery or the Oceaneer's club?
Upcoming: Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, May '14
southlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Mizzcoreta
Earning My Ears

I've been wondering the same thing, I have a 3yo who will be 4 in May but he also has a 2 yo brother so I don't know if they will get upset being separated. To me it looks like the club would be better suited for the 3 yo though. Mine is very excited to do the Ratatouille cooking school, he loves to help mix stuff up whenever I'm baking.
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
annabug
DIS Veteran

Hi there! My son was 3 on our first cruise on the disney dream last summer. He was fully potty trained at that time so he was able to go to the oceaneer club, and use the pools. I did not even look into the Nursery for him. I tried to view the nursery while on board just to see if he would like it, but the CM would not allow that because I did not have a child registered. I was actually glad that she turned me away. It validated has secure the nursery is. And her priority was protecting the little ones!!

As for the club, my boy has an older sister, she was 7 at the time. So that eased his entering the club. But for him, he didnt love it. We were called on multiple occasions to pick him up. Which was fine with us! We wanted him back anyway! My daughter loved the club. Which surprised us because she is quite shy and reserved.

We will be going again next May, Hoping he likes the club a little more!

Let me know if you have further questions!
annabug

(me) (DH) (DD) (DS)
annabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabug
Hi there! My son was 3 on our first cruise on the disney dream last summer. He was fully potty trained at that time so he was able to go to the oceaneer club, and use the pools. I did not even look into the Nursery for him. I tried to view the nursery while on board just to see if he would like it, but the CM would not allow that because I did not have a child registered. I was actually glad that she turned me away. It validated has secure the nursery is. And her priority was protecting the little ones!!

As for the club, my boy has an older sister, she was 7 at the time. So that eased his entering the club. But for him, he didnt love it. We were called on multiple occasions to pick him up. Which was fine with us! We wanted him back anyway! My daughter loved the club. Which surprised us because she is quite shy and reserved.

We will be going again next May, Hoping he likes the club a little more!

Let me know if you have further questions!
annabug
I had a very similar experience with my kids. My shy 7 year old DS loved the Club and especially the lab. My DD had just turned 3 and was newly potty trained. She enjoyed the club only during the Open Houses when DH and I could go in there with her. She cried and screamed every time we tried to leave her otherwise. We were very surprised. I think it was too overwhelming for her even with her big brother there. I wished I would have tried the nursery with her.

The big mistake I made with DD pre-cruise when talking about the kids clubs was not preparing her to be left alone without us. I didn't think it was going to be an issue with her. She is normally very outgoing and energetic.

We are trying again next May. She will be almost 5. I'm hoping for a better experience with the clubs.

Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
deanimal
DIS Veteran

We just got back from cruising with a 2 year 11 month old and a just turned 4 year old. We were able to get DS registered in the Club since he's fully potty trained and we knew he'd want to be with his big sister. He did fine for an hour or two at a time, but I felt that the club was really better suited to school aged kids. If it was just him I think we would've stayed with the nursery. The CM led activities were great, but the actual space consisted mainly of screens and video games, and since my kids can't read or use a mouse yet they couldn't do much on their own. We did stop by the nursery for a look and it seemed much more toddler friendly with scooters, toy trucks, a play kitchen, dolls and strollers, blocks, etc. The club/lab had none of those things. Even my DD4 would have preferred to play in there since it was more like her preschool play area. We've decided to wait until DS starts kindergarten to take our next Disney cruise since the club is really better suited to school age kids. Still, the CMs really made an effort to engage the little ones, so we made it work for us.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

Every child is different, DD3 loved the kids club. First thing we did when we boarded the Dream was go to the kids club during the openhouse to get her familiarized with the different areas and show her where the bathrooms where located. A CM approached us as we walked in and introduced herself to DD and walked around showing her the different rooms and she even helped her play one of the games in the computer. I think this helped a lot. When we first dropped her up, she walked right up to the desk and told the CM she was ready to play and knew where to go.

DD ended up spending at least 3 hours a day at the club and we would have to bribe her in order to get her to leave They played games, dress up, sang songs and even met the characters. On our last night when I went to pick her up she was having an one on one with Tinkerbell She had a blast!!

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

Our experience was that older kids may be really bored with the nursery. Our toddlers were 18 and 16 months our last cruise and they were usually the oldest in there. They were Ok and played with a little kitchen and I am not sure what else.

This May we are going when they are 28 and 30 months but not potty trained and to young for the club. We are nervous they will not stay there because they both have older siblings and are used to playing with princesses and Barbies, not preschool toys!

I will let you know after we go but if your 3 year old likes it they may be better off in the club. Especially if they go to preschool and are used to socializing.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
southlake
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the responses. That brings up another question. DD is potty trained and never has accidents, however she still will not go to the potty by herself, esp if it's a "public" one / loud one which she deems scary (and I know those ship toilets are loud!) Will a CM help them go potty or is that off limits?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake View Post
Thanks for the responses. That brings up another question. DD is potty trained and never has accidents, however she still will not go to the potty by herself, esp if it's a "public" one / loud one which she deems scary (and I know those ship toilets are loud!) Will a CM help them go potty or is that off limits?
No, a CM cannot "assist" in any way in using the toilet. I believe I've read that they are not even allowed to enter the restrooms when kids are in there. Unless, of course, it's an emergency and with other CM backup.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
southlake
Mouseketeer

Wow, so they're going to call us every time she needs to use the potty?? Are the potties even child sized?? DD can't climb up to larger potties by herself. Her teachers at preschool help her, so I don't see what the big deal is. Esp on a child-centric cruise!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, so they're going to call us every time she needs to use the potty?? Are the potties even child sized?? DD can't climb up to larger potties by herself. Her teachers at preschool help her, so I don't see what the big deal is. Esp on a child-centric cruise!
It's a good idea to do a potty run before dropping her off in the club. Yes, the toilets in the club are child sized.

The "no adults in the kids toilet" is for all adults, not just CMs. It's entirely a legal thing. Protects both the kids and the CMs.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
southlake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It's a good idea to do a potty run before dropping her off in the club. Yes, the toilets in the club are child sized.

The "no adults in the kids toilet" is for all adults, not just CMs. It's entirely a legal thing. Protects both the kids and the CMs.
I understand that it's a legal thing. I'm just saying that preschool teachers all over the U.S. help toddlers go potty, so I don't understand why Disney can't figure something out like our schools have.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I understand that it's a legal thing. I'm just saying that preschool teachers all over the U.S. help toddlers go potty, so I don't understand why Disney can't figure something out like our schools have.
At school, the child is familiar with the teachers, and the teachers know her and her parents. Onboard ship, the kids only have contact with random CMs for a short period of time. There is no familiarity.

What they figured out was the phrase "fully potty-trained". That means the child is able to recognize that they need to use the toilet, able to undress, use the toilet, redress, and wash hands without any assistance. That's the requirement to be able to use the Oceaneers Club/Lab.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Betsy82
Mouseketeer

On the Fantasy there was a private bathroom over by the eating area that I was directed to take my son into.
He'd had an accident (was in a Pull Up) so I took him in there to change him.

I'm assuming there are other bathrooms I guess? I don't even know haha
Betsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... Are the potties even child sized?? DD can't climb up to larger potties by herself. ...
I believe the toilets in the Oceaneer CLUB are child-sized, but regular-sized in the LAB; however I think (not certain) that there are step stools available - however the child will need to position that and use it her/himself. Just mentioning this because with the Open House times, even if you check your child into the Club, if an Open House occurs while there DCL will move all children for "secured programming" into the Lab.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: