Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #1126
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954
Are there any Resort restaurants that you have to visit each time even when you aren't staying at that resort? What are your favorite Resort restaurant entrees?
Sanaa!!!!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #1127
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR
FYI, the French Onion soup at BoG is vegetarian. I about crawled out of my chair with excitement. It's not vegan, due to the cheese on top, but I *think* it would be if you omitted the cheese. Not completely certain.

Plasticletters, do you know if the Vegetarian Chili at DL contains mushroom (pieces, protein, powder?) I am a long-time vegetarian with a mushroom allergy, and I am in the process of giving up dairy. I am ten days off of it and had a bit yesterday and cannot believe how much it affected me, so it appears this change will be permanent. (My intention was to ease up while I traveled, and allow dairy in limited quantities.) I am beyond excited about the items you listed at the Cozy Cones!
I wish I had known about the French onion soup last week!! DH wanted it and I chastised him. :/ Oops!

Sidenote: We did have the potato leek soup and liked it a lot!

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #1128
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Is the Potato Leek soup vegan or just vegetarian?

We are popping down to WDW for a three-day weekend next week and I am madly trying to put together an eating plan. I've had a feeling that dairy was "not my friend" for a while and gave it up 2.5 weeks ago. I figured I would just eat it while in WDW but have had a couple of exposures in the last couple of weeks that have left me astonished at how ill I felt, so I am reformulating the plan. (Seriously, how can I be affected THAT much after less than three weeks? But I digress.)

I am super used to navigating the dining system at WDW but cutting out dairy is a huge curve ball. I eat a LOT of dairy while down there.

We are eating entirely CS on the trip and I am trying to pull some research together. I am eating "essentially vegan," but not worried if there is egg in something (not eating egg, like scrambled eggs, but if a bread contains eggs I am not too worried while down at WDW) or trace amounts of dairy.

I am also allergic to mushrooms and mangoes.

This is what I'm thinking, I would love some input!!

Dinner at Beaches & Cream: vegetarian burger (if dairy/mushroom free) or even just burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup) on a df bun. Hoping they will be willing to make me a tofutti or rice dream shake or sundae. I wanted to try the No Way Jose but wondering how much dairy is in the hot fudge... anyone know? Maybe they could sub out a chocolate sauce, if they have a dairy free one.

I am at a loss for breakfast options. I usually do a croissant sandwich (egg, cheese) or chocolate croissant, but assuming those have dairy. Maybe a bagel with peanut butter? I always struggle with protein while down there.

Lunches: I will be at Hollywood Studios one day, MK one day, and lunch at either HS or MK the third day. We will definitely do BoG for lunch one day. HS, not sure what to do, I have had the veg sandwich at Backlot without the mushrooms but it's just not good. Maybe I will beg to take the boat to EPCOT for Sunshine Seasons. Other good, veganesque lunches at DHS?

Dinners: One at either HS or EPCOT - I am guessing it will end up with Sunshine Seasons as either that HS lunch or this dinner, with food at HS for the other meal. That orange chick'n is calling my name. Just what I need, figuring out yet another dinner at DHS. I think we may be in AK the other night, I am hoping I can get a dairy-free pizza at Pizzafari.

Snacks: dole whip, popcorn, ??? I am guessing the Caramel in Germany is chock full of dairy, boo. I can always have fruit, or potato chips, and I believe the pretzels would be okay. Maybe the boxes of wheat thins they sell at the resort? I plan to pick up some fruit 'n' nut trail mix to bring from home.

I also forsee myself drinking insane amounts of coke to make up for caffeine in the soy milk coffee that I cannot acquire at the World. When do those Starbucks arrive again? ;p

So... ideas are appreciated. It also doesn't help that I am eating TONS more on this "diet" than I was when I was ovo-lacto... and yet losing weight. I can't subsist on just carrot and celery sticks for three days! THANKS in advance for any suggestions, no matter how small!
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #1129
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I would say WDW is one of the better places to be dairy-free. The chefs know what it means and will generally be very helpful.

Breakfast - Can you eat in your room? Oatmeal can be a good option - stir in some peanut butter for extra protein. Nut butters on dairy-free crackers or breads or on slices of cut-up apples or bananas. Or spread on a wrap/tortilla and rolled up, maybe with some fruit as well. If you are eating at a restaurant, I often have home fries (with onions and peppers if possible) plus fruit. And I'll ask for some pb to put on the fruit.

HS - I agree, not my favourite place to eat. I have had some nice tofu-veggie dishes at SciFi, and a veggie wrap at the Flatbread Grille. If you can afford it, there is a great vegan tofu dish at the Brown Derby. Kouzzina on the Boardwalk will also make you vegan dishes if you go there - I've had some really incredible meals there just by asking the chef to "be creative."

If you are in AK, consider Tusker House as an option - they usually have several vegan options on the buffet and we've had the chefs make us some amazing dishes as well.

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #1130
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

Gluten-Free veggie (xposted from DISabilities)

My wife just discovered she has a gluten sensitivity last week. She's also a vegetarian. We're planning our second trip to WDW in May, for a anniversary/birthday trip. Because I'm a worrywart who wants everything to be great for her, I'm rethinking our ADRs and meals now that she'll need to be gluten free.

Does anyone have suggestions for a TS restaurant in DHS? We have an ADR at SciFi Dine-In, but after reviewing the menu and the pdf of options from Special Diets, I don't see much of anything for her to eat. Does anyone know if the vegetarian options at Brown Derby (Tofus and noodles), 50s Prime Time (spaghetti and meatballs), or Mama Melrose (flatbread, minestrone) can be made GF?

Here's our other restaurants plans, in case there are any red flags:
Sanaa
Raglan Road
Boma
Tusker House (lunch)
Jiko
BOG
San Angel Inn (considering moving to La Hacienda if that's more GF-friendly)
Rose and Crown

TIA!

2013 AKL, 2010 POR, 1998 BWI, 1996 ASM, 1993 Swan
berryinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #1131
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
Is the Potato Leek soup vegan or just vegetarian?

We are popping down to WDW for a three-day weekend next week and I am madly trying to put together an eating plan. I've had a feeling that dairy was "not my friend" for a while and gave it up 2.5 weeks ago. I figured I would just eat it while in WDW but have had a couple of exposures in the last couple of weeks that have left me astonished at how ill I felt, so I am reformulating the plan. (Seriously, how can I be affected THAT much after less than three weeks? But I digress.)

I am super used to navigating the dining system at WDW but cutting out dairy is a huge curve ball. I eat a LOT of dairy while down there.

We are eating entirely CS on the trip and I am trying to pull some research together. I am eating "essentially vegan," but not worried if there is egg in something (not eating egg, like scrambled eggs, but if a bread contains eggs I am not too worried while down at WDW) or trace amounts of dairy.

I am also allergic to mushrooms and mangoes.

This is what I'm thinking, I would love some input!!

Dinner at Beaches & Cream: vegetarian burger (if dairy/mushroom free) or even just burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup) on a df bun. Hoping they will be willing to make me a tofutti or rice dream shake or sundae. I wanted to try the No Way Jose but wondering how much dairy is in the hot fudge... anyone know? Maybe they could sub out a chocolate sauce, if they have a dairy free one. They can also make a quinoa wrap that is fantastic...dont think it had mushroom because i dont like those but ask. they can make the no way jose with peanut butter and hersheys syrup

I am at a loss for breakfast options. I usually do a croissant sandwich (egg, cheese) or chocolate croissant, but assuming those have dairy. Maybe a bagel with peanut butter? I always struggle with protein while down there. dont worry about protein, been vegan for years now any if there is one thing i have learned its dont worry about protein, you have to work really hard to be protein deficient. as for breakfast im not sure where you are staying but check for babycakes

Lunches: I will be at Hollywood Studios one day, MK one day, and lunch at either HS or MK the third day. We will definitely do BoG for lunch one day. HS, not sure what to do, I have had the veg sandwich at Backlot without the mushrooms but it's just not good. Maybe I will beg to take the boat to EPCOT for Sunshine Seasons. Other good, veganesque lunches at DHS? how do you feel about ice cream for lunch? you can stop by the bar at 50's PrimeTime and get a soy or rice dream milkshake...i get the peanut butter and jelly (heaven) with a side of fries perfect vacation treat

Dinners: One at either HS or EPCOT - I am guessing it will end up with Sunshine Seasons as either that HS lunch or this dinner, with food at HS for the other meal. That orange chick'n is calling my name. Just what I need, figuring out yet another dinner at DHS. I think we may be in AK the other night, I am hoping I can get a dairy-free pizza at Pizzafari. also check out Morocco...they can veganise the vegetarian platter and its all very good

Snacks: dole whip, popcorn, ??? I am guessing the Caramel in Germany is chock full of dairy, boo. I can always have fruit, or potato chips, and I believe the pretzels would be okay. Maybe the boxes of wheat thins they sell at the resort? I plan to pick up some fruit 'n' nut trail mix to bring from home.

I also forsee myself drinking insane amounts of coke to make up for caffeine in the soy milk coffee that I cannot acquire at the World. When do those Starbucks arrive again? ;p they do sell soy milk so you could pick one up and add it to your coffee

So... ideas are appreciated. It also doesn't help that I am eating TONS more on this "diet" than I was when I was ovo-lacto... and yet losing weight. I can't subsist on just carrot and celery sticks for three days! THANKS in advance for any suggestions, no matter how small!
My additions in red

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports
rani8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #1132
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

We just got back and had an excellent meal at Artist Point on Tuesday and a very disappointing meal there on Thursday. The failures are centered around a lack of accommodation for vegetarians, which perhaps Disney isn’t quite so concerned about now as in past years though I cannot understand why that would be the case. Having ordered the excellent vegetarian entrée on Tuesday, we were assured that on our return visit on Thursday the chef would prepare something special for us so we wouldn’t be forced to have the same meal. Artist Point chefs have made such assurances before and have always satisfied us quite well. This past Thursday, the chef apparently didn’t have time to consider the options with us and relayed through the server some options. The options seemed okay but in the end they were lacking. For both meals it seems all the chef did was simply remove the protein from an existing dish. As a long-time vegetarian, I’m not unfamiliar with such short-changing at restaurants though I’d be surprised to encounter this at Artist Point. My meal, vegetables and potato on rice, was just "sub-standard". Evidently the meat with that meal would have provided the flavor. The vegetarian version was somewhat lacking in flavor. I wouldn’t have even bothered writing if it was just that meal which was of concern. My spouse's meal was an Asian noodle dish again without any accommodation made vis a vis vegetarian except the removal of the protein. In this case the removal of the meat evidently left the dish terribly salty and practically inedible. My spouse picked out a few bits of the vegetables and left the rest. The server seemed unconcerned about our report that the dish was too salty. That was what really concerns me. There was clearly no thought about offering some other alternative or removing the dish from the bill. That’s uncharacteristic based on our previous experience at Artist Point. I suppose we’ve learned our lesson – eat what they offer on the menu or suffer the consequences.
vacationer1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #1133
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
FYI, the French Onion soup at BoG is vegetarian. I about crawled out of my chair with excitement. It's not vegan, due to the cheese on top, but I *think* it would be if you omitted the cheese. Not completely certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean View Post
I wish I had known about the French onion soup last week!! DH wanted it and I chastised him. :/ Oops!
I read a post a couple of days ago in which someone said the server told her the french onion soup was not vegetarian. She wasn't vegetarian and was wondering if the soup would be bland because she had heard here that it was made with veg broth. She asked the server about it and said the server told her it was not vegetarian because it was made with a mixture of beef and vegetable broth. For the life of me, I can't find the post now (I think it was a trip report), but I wanted to share the info she got. I've read a lot of posts saying it is vegetarian, so maybe the server was mistaken, but I would probably ask to speak with the chef regarding the ingredients because of the differing info.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #1134
BusyMom2Three
Mouseketeer

Some AK QS & snack menus

My TA just emailed me some QS and snack menus from AK. Sorry if they've been posted before. These are from her recent trip this Feb 2013. Since AK has been notoriously low on veg options in the past (except for Tusker House), I was happy to see these (especially the quinoa/tofu salad!) and thought I'd share.

1985 Tokyo Disneyland (Hilton Tokyo Bay)
Mar 2007 Pop Century
Mar 2009 Pop Century
Mar 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
Mar 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Feb-Mar 2013 Beach Club
Feb-Mar 2014 Pop Century
BusyMom2Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #1135
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

First I have to say this thread is fantastic! Thank for all the info. I am trying to scroll through the whole thing (but that will take time!). I have just a few questions-

1) I can tell that if you are a vegan you can tell them that when you make your ADR and they will try to make you something if nothing else is available, but what about vegetarian? Do you have to just rely on what is on the menu (I see that most places have at least one vegetarian item), but will that be our only choice?

2) Has anyone ever gone with a vegetarian child? Any advice? My son eats meat/fish occasionally, but it looks like the only vegetarian options at WDW are two of his least favorite things mac n cheese or cheese pizza. He is an adventurous eater and he eats a lot, but is only 2. I hate to order an adult meal at those prices...and if we share he will eat all our food

3) Has anyone ever eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe- do you know what you get as a vegetarian? I crossed it off my list because it looks like an expensive all meat paradise, but I thought my DS would get a kick out of it. I think we might just have to forget about one.

Thanks, I can't wait to read more on here and I promise to post pictures/info after our trip (not until Sept though).

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #1136
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
1) I can tell that if you are a vegan you can tell them that when you make your ADR and they will try to make you something if nothing else is available, but what about vegetarian? Do you have to just rely on what is on the menu (I see that most places have at least one vegetarian item), but will that be our only choice?
In my own relatively limited experience, yes at table service and no at counter service.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #1137
fall08CP
Cheesehead

The online reservation system, as of my last trip in July, did not allow you to mark vegan or vegetarian. I had to mark allergies, so dairy, egg, and shellfish. I don't believe it even had meat on there, so I had to explain that I was actually vegan at every restaurant While the waiter/waitress may only discuss veggie meals that are on the menu, if you do your research and ask to modify meals they may be able to accommodate. I've never had trouble mixing and matching meals.

Best vegan meals from my July trip: Pepper Market lunch buffet
Jiko:

Ohana (so-so, not great- chef Brandon):
He mixed in BBQ potatoes-- very odd and the greens were tough, obviously not cooked through. No tofu options offered. This of course is in addition to the other sides that are "safe"; I believe there was also a hummus dish but it was nothing to write home about.

1900 Park fare: Chef Kelly, she was extra accommodating and kept bringing more food than I could eat!
Black Bean Hummus with Hawaiian chips

Every place we want for breakfast had soy milk. TS gave it for no charge, and since we were staying at Coronado which has waiter service @ Pepper Market, it was free there as well. They were also willing to bring sorbet over from Rix Cafe for dessert I had bagel most mornings, and I believe I found a cherry turnover or some baked good that they confirmed was vegan. If in doubt, bring Clif Bars.

Trail's End has a wonderful breakfast buffet as well! They made vegan waffles, as many as I wanted, and had Earth Balance. The chef made fresh oatmeal (sans milk) and there was a lovely brown sugar banana topping. Lots of fruit and skillet potatoes. It was really lovely and the chef kept naming different options he'd make from scratch! Been there on 2 different trips and had positive experiences both times

Last edited by fall08CP; 02-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.
fall08CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #1138
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954 View Post
We just got back and had an excellent meal at Artist Point on Tuesday and a very disappointing meal there on Thursday. The failures are centered around a lack of accommodation for vegetarians, which perhaps Disney isn’t quite so concerned about now as in past years though I cannot understand why that would be the case. Having ordered the excellent vegetarian entrée on Tuesday, we were assured that on our return visit on Thursday the chef would prepare something special for us so we wouldn’t be forced to have the same meal. Artist Point chefs have made such assurances before and have always satisfied us quite well. This past Thursday, the chef apparently didn’t have time to consider the options with us and relayed through the server some options. The options seemed okay but in the end they were lacking. For both meals it seems all the chef did was simply remove the protein from an existing dish. As a long-time vegetarian, I’m not unfamiliar with such short-changing at restaurants though I’d be surprised to encounter this at Artist Point. My meal, vegetables and potato on rice, was just "sub-standard". Evidently the meat with that meal would have provided the flavor. The vegetarian version was somewhat lacking in flavor. I wouldn’t have even bothered writing if it was just that meal which was of concern. My spouse's meal was an Asian noodle dish again without any accommodation made vis a vis vegetarian except the removal of the protein. In this case the removal of the meat evidently left the dish terribly salty and practically inedible. My spouse picked out a few bits of the vegetables and left the rest. The server seemed unconcerned about our report that the dish was too salty. That was what really concerns me. There was clearly no thought about offering some other alternative or removing the dish from the bill. That’s uncharacteristic based on our previous experience at Artist Point. I suppose we’ve learned our lesson – eat what they offer on the menu or suffer the consequences.
Disney called and they're very sorry for our experience and are giving us a card good for the cost of the meal during our next vacation.
vacationer1954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1139
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've simply marked off for "other", or whatever the "you haven't listed my problem" option is on the reservation form. Then I've written to the email address given in the agreement you read and click specifying what I need.

This generally prompts the servers to simply bring out a chef.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1140
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever
First I have to say this thread is fantastic! Thank for all the info. I am trying to scroll through the whole thing (but that will take time!). I have just a few questions-

2) Has anyone ever gone with a vegetarian child? Any advice? My son eats meat/fish occasionally, but it looks like the only vegetarian options at WDW are two of his least favorite things mac n cheese or cheese pizza. He is an adventurous eater and he eats a lot, but is only 2. I hate to order an adult meal at those prices...and if we share he will eat all our food

3) Has anyone ever eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe- do you know what you get as a vegetarian? .
I haven't traveled with a veggie kid, but I did find this article interesting, and maybe helpful for you:

http://www.wdwradio.com/2013/02/fish.../#.USrk3Il5mc0

I believe the vegetarian option at whispering canyon is the entree skillet with all the sides and quinoa cakes. There are some reviews in this thread.

2013 AKL, 2010 POR, 1998 BWI, 1996 ASM, 1993 Swan
berryinDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: