Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Value with DDP, or Moderate without DDP?
POP with DDP? 14 25.00%
POR without DDP? 42 75.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Stay at POR. You will celebrating your anniversary and nine nights is a long time to stay at a value. The dining plan usually isn't worth it, but you may want to sit down and do the math. If you find that there isn't much difference in cost, you may want to add the plan just for the piece of mind it gives you.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
TBLaube
Who doesn't find Mr. *****lepants yummy...lederhosen...need I say more?

Stay at POR. Both POFQ and POR are so beautiful. Definitely more romantic than POP and more options with the boat ride to DTD. Yes there will be kids, but POR is a much better anniversary and adult trip option.
TBLaube is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Inga
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at the value resorts many times (DH and I, no kids) as well as POR...we prefer POFQ but nonetheless, I would suggest staying at POR vs value resort. Lovely boat ride to DTD is one thing, more centralized location to the parks is another. Lovely romantic setting vs kid-themed location. As for the dining plan, we have not done it and will not in the future...too much excess food. Don't need to overeat for 9 days and feel gross by the end of it, but that is just IMHO!

The value resorts are great, but if the decision is value or moderate, as DINKs we go moderate. Actually now we go DVC!

Inga
DLCalifornia 00, 09, 11
DL Hong Kong Feb 07
WDW BCV Sept 13
Aulani April and May 2014!
"DVC is you and me!" -Deevy See

Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Lauren0505
Mouseketeer

If it weren't an anniversary trip I would say Pop. I love Pop and wouldn't hesitate to stay there but is no potential for romance there. POR or POFQ would be my choice for an anniversary kid free trip.
Side note-my son is about to test for his brown belt in TKD.
Congratulations on your anniversary! Hope you have a great trip!
Lauren0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
jasonsk287
Earning My Ears

Since you'll be staying for so long, I would definitely do POR. I feel like that's more important, since you can always do OOP for dining and you'd be at a nicer, quieter resort. A poster above mentioned a Disney gift card, I think that's a great idea- you can get one before you go and use that strictly as a prepaid dining card.
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Because of the month you are traveling....

I say stick with POR and pay out of pocket for dining. Paying out of pocket may be easier than you think since it will be just you and your DH on this trip. A prepaid Disney gift card would be a great option for that purpose. The reason I bring up the month of travel is because April is still spring break season and April/spring seems to also be a busy time at the values for youth groups staying for competitions and tournaments; and based on what I've been reading, these groups have been staying at both Pop and the All Stars. If you were traveling in the summer or fall, I would recommend All Star Music as a good value resort choice for an anniversary trip. I think this is the go to value resort for couples traveling without children based on what I've personally witnessed and read here on the Disboards. We stayed at AS Music in a family suite back in August of 2011 and thought the resort was nice and quiet, and the theming was fun and vibrant but still appealing to adults. I noticed several couples there without kids during our seven night stay. Now for our upcoming trip we are staying at Pop and we expect it to be a little busier than the All Stars and the theming seems to have more kid appeal than All Star Music; but we know to expect that going into the trip and look forward to the new experience. I agree with other posters in that it seems like your heart is set on POR. Have a magical anniversary
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #22
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

I am going to respond to the group first, and then to a couple specific people in my next post.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! You all have been wonderful. I think I am going to leave it up to my hubby. He's the one paying for the trip (though of course as a stay at home mom, I can say I am paying as well! I certainly earn it taking care of 5 kids!), so it would probably be fair to let him have some say in what we choose. I plan every detail of every trip, so I will talk it out with him and let you all know what he says. I would say maybe we could do a split stay and have a happy medium, but I hate packing up and moving. Did it once, don't think I will ever do it again.

I honestly don't care where we stay. I would sleep on the cement just to be at Disney. We don't spend too much time in our rooms, so it probably won't matter so much, but I may get frustrated with long lines in the food court. I'm easy to please (though I know it probably doesn't sound that way. I think it was because I was so sick, and then had to take an hour long bus ride back to CSR), so I will be fine with whatever he chooses. I would probably be more comfortable at POR just b/c I have stayed there before, but I am just happy being there.

He just got home, so I will let you know what he says! I appreciate all of you!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Go with POP
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I have severe asthma, and if I ever got a room with the slightest smell of smoke or mold, I would have to moved immediately. I am very, very sensitive to smells of any kind. Our room was lovely. It was roomy, clean, comfortable, and quiet.

We The only resort I didn't care for was CBR. We stayed there once and won't ever do it again. The room seemed dark and depressing and the resort was too big. It took forever to get anywhere on a bus after stopping at all the other stops.
I loved CBR! The funny thing is that you mentioned mold, and in September when we were there, our original rooms had mold all over the wallpaper border. As I mentioned before, with our lung stuff we had to move. My girls have worse problems than me and my mom has a machine and asthma as well, so it was necessary for us to move. They treated us really well and got us moved over to Jamaica. It was the BEST location. It was a short walk to everything, and beautiful. We also got a fastpass for our trouble. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyandmouse View Post
I've stayed at both several times and would chose POR. There are still kids but usually less and it's def more romantic with the decor and carriage rides,boat rides etc. Food is yummy there too! Hope you have a magical anniversary!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
As for the dining plan, we have not done it and will not in the future...too much excess food. Don't need to overeat for 9 days and feel gross by the end of it, but that is just IMHO!

The value resorts are great, but if the decision is value or moderate, as DINKs we go moderate. Actually now we go DVC!
Inga
We share counter service credits, so we stretch one CS to two meals for the day. It works out really well. For table service, if we have too much food, we put it in the fridge for if we get back and are hungry. What is funny is that I LOST weight on our last trip! My pants were falling off on our last night for late night EMH!!!

We are going to go DVC when our house is paid off. We bought a foreclosure (see? Told you I was frugal!) last year, and will have it paid off in 9 years. We will buy DVC then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0505 View Post
Side note-my son is about to test for his brown belt in TKD.
Congratulations on your anniversary! Hope you have a great trip!
Thank you! That is awesome! Congrats on your son's brown belt! I used to teach karate, but had to quit b/c I was unhappy with how I was being treated. I am building a dojo in my barn at my house, and will be training my kids there! For now we are still at that studio... My husband and I are black belts, my two oldest children have their junior black belts in American Kenpo and are ready to test for their adult black belts. My middle daughter and second youngest are ready to take their junior black, and my littlest is a 2nd degree purple! Way to set goals and reach for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsk287 View Post
Since A poster above mentioned a Disney gift card, I think that's a great idea- you can get one before you go and use that strictly as a prepaid dining card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRiley1985 View Post
If you are concerned about prepayment, I would go online to the menus at allears, figure out approximately how much you will spend, add a little extra and get a Disney gift card for that amount.
You both have good points about the gift cards. I already buy gift cards and only bring enough cash for tips and such. And...we did just what you said about getting menus and pricing it out! Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses View Post
Have a magical anniversary
Thank you!

If I missed anybody, thank you very much for all your input! You are all awesome!

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Old 02-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
Three cats
DIS Veteran

I would forgo the moderate in favor of the dining plan.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Three cats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #26
dminnie
DIS Veteran

I didn't read all the replies, so maybe this idea is covered already. Perhaps you could do a split stay. Start at POP for a few days with the dining plan. Do your more expensive meals during that time. Then switch to POR.

If switching resorts isn't an option for you, then I'd stick with POR for an anniversary trip for sure.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

For an anniversary trip I would never stay at a value. I have never considered one even with kids. They do not appeal to me and being away for my anniversary I would want something more romantic- Just my opinion

ETA: I would opt for the French Quarter if it were just me and the huuby! Have a magical time!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DisPrincesses View Post
How much time do you spend at the resort, use the pool, etc? If you spend much time there, I would keep POR. If you will be in the Parks and/or dining and just crashing at the Resort, the value might be okay???
I would agree with this ... its really about how much time you spend at resort or not ....

If you are the type that leaves the resort shortly after you wake up, and you stay until wishes or illuminations .... then I would go value for sure.

POR looks awesome (staying for the first time in May) ... but we plan on spending some resort time.

The only other thing I would conider is checking undercovertourist for crowd levels, .... http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-opening-hours ... hopefully that doesn't get pulled down ...

If you are earlier in the month, chances are values will be much busier, if you are mid month and beyond, values will be much less packed, and so you wont have to worry so much about the value experience.

Hope you have an AWESOME time ... out next trip is the celebration of our FIRST anniversary (and delayed 6 months at that !!!) We honeymooned at Dis in Feb 2012, and can't wiat for our next trip to the most ... romantic, awesome, special, perfect, lovable, place we have found !
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #29
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post
For an anniversary trip I would never stay at a value. I have never considered one even with kids. They do not appeal to me and being away for my anniversary I would want something more romantic- Just my opinion

ETA: I would opt for the French Quarter if it were just me and the huuby! Have a magical time!
Problem with French Quarter is that the current promo of 30% off, does not apply. where as, 500 yards away at POR, it does ... request mansions @ POR for 30% off over POFQ in my opinion, if you decide to go moderate.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #30
Blackbeltdisneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynamewastaken View Post

I was just looking at POFQ with hubby. I did the math on it again for him, and it is only about $139 more to stay there. That is where we originally wanted to stay, but then we had friends decide to go and changed to POR to be with them. Then they decided they couldn't go right now. I love POR, so I left it, but am considering POFQ again! Hubby says he doesn't want to make a decision until we know if he is getting a side job he is checking out on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
I would agree with this ... its really about how much time you spend at resort or not ....

If you are the type that leaves the resort shortly after you wake up, and you stay until wishes or illuminations .... then I would go value for sure.

POR looks awesome (staying for the first time in May) ... but we plan on spending some resort time.

The only other thing I would conider is checking undercovertourist for crowd levels, .... http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-opening-hours ... hopefully that doesn't get pulled down ...

If you are earlier in the month, chances are values will be much busier, if you are mid month and beyond, values will be much less packed, and so you wont have to worry so much about the value experience.

Hope you have an AWESOME time ... out next trip is the celebration of our FIRST anniversary (and delayed 6 months at that !!!) We honeymooned at Dis in Feb 2012, and can't wiat for our next trip to the most ... romantic, awesome, special, perfect, lovable, place we have found !
Thanks for the input and for the link. I subscribe to Touringplans, so we are good there! We are going April 19-27, so the crowds aren't bad. We've handled worse!!! Think Hollywood Studios, level 9.8, on a Saturday, during Star Wars weekends, on Memorial day weekend, right after Star Tours opened up!! We don't usually get hoppers, but we sure considered them that day. Haha!

We usually sleep in, get to the parks sometime between 9-10, sometimes we will come back to the resort and swim or nap or both. Then we go back to the park and stay till close. We LOVE late night EMH. Most of our parks this trip revolve around them. Sometimes we do a night swim. This year we have the WPF&M length of stay passes, so we will also go to those parks, which will probably cut down our pool time.

Congrats on year one! We made it to 15, which we see less and less nowadays, so we are taking the time to celebrate. We are still relatively young too (35, 37), so we look forward to having some time without the kiddos. Well, now that I've typed our ages it doesn't look so young!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
Problem with French Quarter is that the current promo of 30% off, does not apply. where as, 500 yards away at POR, it does ... request mansions @ POR for 30% off over POFQ in my opinion, if you decide to go moderate.
The promotion does apply to POFQ. I've tested it on the website, and a nice discount comes off. I believe it is 20% off moderates though. The resort listed as not qualifying under the discount is AoA Little Mermaid standard rooms only.

Last edited by Blackbeltdisneygirl; 02-23-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: