Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Keurig ?? Am I doing something wrong?

I bought the Keurig mini plus in January (2012) at Kohl's. It was hardly used - maybe 3 times per week, and by May it had quit working. I boxed it up and took it back to Kohl's and they exchanged it for a new one. The new one lasted from last May until yesterday. The second one was hardly used either - is there a trick to keeping your Keurig running that I don't know about? Has anyone else had trouble with their Keurig?

It just seems to me that 3 Keurigs in 13 months is a little extreme! Thank goodness Kohl's has a great return policy, because I would not pay the $100 for another one.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
katied718
Earning My Ears

Maybe it needed to be de-scaled? Keurigs require regular care. De-scaling is very easy-done with vinegar. They are very sensitive to mineral build-up from tap water. When u do use it, make sure to use filtered water & get a keurig carbon filter to put in the tank as well. On the other hand, if de-scaling doesn't do the trick, the folks at keurig are top-notch and they also have an excellent replacement policy.
katied718 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
I bought the Keurig mini plus in January (2012) at Kohl's. It was hardly used - maybe 3 times per week, and by May it had quit working. I boxed it up and took it back to Kohl's and they exchanged it for a new one. The new one lasted from last May until yesterday. The second one was hardly used either - is there a trick to keeping your Keurig running that I don't know about? Has anyone else had trouble with their Keurig?

It just seems to me that 3 Keurigs in 13 months is a little extreme! Thank goodness Kohl's has a great return policy, because I would not pay the $100 for another one.
I agree with the PP. If you are not using the Keurig on a regular basis and you are not draining the water from it between uses, you are most likely getting a build up of mineral deposits from the water.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I was thinking it might be a buildup or something. *knock on wood* I have never had any trouble with mine. I always use bottled water and use it regularly.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

We use filtered water, and we make sure we use it every day, even if it is just to pump some water through the system and discard.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

keurig replaced DH's, after it started having problems.
he did as told with the new machine: use only filtered water, and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Judique
DIS Veteran

I've had the Keurig platinum for 2 years plus now.

It is used once a day.

It has never been descaled.

I use regular tap water.

So far - no problems.

Now - watch it stop working after I post this.

I also have Tassimo which I don't use regularly. (I used it for 2 years before the Keurig so it is 4 years old.) I use it maybe once a week to make a latte or espresso or something special.

It's probably your water - with maybe a high mineral content. Buildup of minerals will kill many types of coffee makers.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

I'm with Judique on this. I have two Keurigs, one at home and one in my office. The home machine has been used multiple times a day for several years. The office machine is used five days a week for almost five years. Neither have been descaled and I only use tap water (Virginia and DC). Never had a problem other than the older machine is a bit loud. It sounds like the minimal use may be part of the issue.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
scard192
DIS Veteran

We have a commercial grade one at work and the tech recommended running it through a brew cycle with no Kcup to clean it out; I do get brown water when I do this.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Thanks all - I do use filtered water with the Keurig. My refrigerator makes filtered water - I guess that counts? Maybe I will just run some water thru it on the days that I don't use it for coffee.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
bdcp
DIS Veteran

My mini is 2 years old and still works fine. It gets used on average several times a month. I use tap water and we have hard water but I have never had a problem and I have never descaled it. A guy at work recently followed instructions and used vinegar and after that all he could taste was the vinegar, even after multiple times of running plain water through. So, I'm not doing that anytime soon. I've done it on my regular cofffeepot, but not very often and had no problem. Keurig's have a bit of a history with just stopping working. There have been other threads here in the past about them.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
njcarita
BL II - Red Team
If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?
the name DANNY TERRIO pooped into my head
I swear I am full of useless information...

i got my keurig in 2006........... so 7 years ago...... and no issues..... we stopped using it regulary 6 months ago cause my husband wanted a " real brewed cup of coffee" and honestly got tired of using the my k cup.......... we never used distilled........ always used tap.......... and we only had to descale once in those 7 years..............

before 1988 didn't keep track- must have been over 20 times to disney- went every year with family

Here we go again!!!!
starting weight
Jan 1 2013 194.8lbs Height 5'9" BMI 28.8

Jan 1 2014 187.4 BMI 27.7Goal 150[/COLOR][/FONT]
njcarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
KNJWDW
Mouseketeer

We have a mini as well and it probably is used 5 times a week with well water. We have had it about 14 months with no problems. Every once in a while, we run some vinegar through it. The vinegar has never bothered the taste of the coffee - we clean our regular coffee pot with vinegar as well.
KNJWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
CatesRDisneyFans
Mouseketeer

I got a Keurig for Christmas...I'm the only coffee drinker in my family. I only used filtered water and used it 1-2 times a day. It wasn't even a month later and I was barely getting any coffee (water) in my cup...not even half a cup. I got out the Keurig instructions and followed all of the troubleshooting steps to clean and descale it. The descale process took forever because I wasn't even getting 1/4 cup to come out at a time. Descaling didn't solve the problem. I was very frustrated and about to return the Keurig when I decided to search online for any tips. At first I found a lot of complaints where the Keurig makers would just stop working (adding to my own frustration) but I finally came across a tip from someone who said to start the machine and when water starts to come out to tap the top of the machine. You don't want to hit the top so hard that you break it but you need to give it a good tap. I thought I'd give it a try and it my surprise it worked. Coffee grounds ended up in my hot water. I brewed a few cups of hot water with my love tap until I didn't get any more coffee grounds in the hot water. I have no idea how coffee grounds would get stuck in the machine because I only use Keurig coffee kcups. Anyway, since that time I try to remember to brew a cup of hot water with a love tap once a week. My machine has been working fine since then (although it's only been a little over a month since then).

CatesRDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatesRDisneyFans View Post
I have no idea how coffee grounds would get stuck in the machine because I only use Keurig coffee kcups. .
The needles that poke the holes in the kCups are hollow. Sometimes when it pierces the cup, grounds get stuck in the needle. When it happens repeatedly, they get further clogged. I don't drink coffee, but my husband and teen do. When I use the kuerig for hot water (tea, cocoa, oatmeal, any other use for hot water...) after they've had coffee, particularly strong coffee, I always have to brew the smallest size cup of hot water or my beverage ends up having a faint coffee taste.
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: