Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #631
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

I want to try RCCL too, but I think I want to scope it out first, just me and Mike, before deciding whether or not the kids would accept something other than Disney. This is partially selfish (I would love to cruise just DH and I someday) and partially because I fear my son's reaction to a different kids club. DS is NOT a fan of change.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #632
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Carnival is the only line we have cruised on, first cruise was great. The second cruise was terrible, we swore we would never cruise again. That was in 1990, haven't wanted to cruise since. I will say the Disney cruises look might nice.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #633
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLuvr321 View Post
I have to admit to this too. On our first cruise we had an oceanview room and I was sure that nothing could be better. On our last cruise our TA upgraded us to a veranda room room when the FL resident rates came out. We spent so much time either on the veranda or just watching the waves from the room that I don't think I could go back to an oceanview again.
It is so wonderful to have a balcony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I had heard that pools on cruise ships are tiny, especially for the amount of people on the ship itself.

It's nice that you got to go on the Aqua Duck as I'm sure later on the line must have been so long.
Yes, they are tiny.
The aqua duck can have long lines, so I did want to get on right away so we had a chance to ride it at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
I want to try RCCL too, but I think I want to scope it out first, just me and Mike, before deciding whether or not the kids would accept something other than Disney. This is partially selfish (I would love to cruise just DH and I someday) and partially because I fear my son's reaction to a different kids club. DS is NOT a fan of change.
I know claire would be fine, but she would miss Disney, but she would still have a great time. but I like the excuse of trying it without kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Carnival is the only line we have cruised on, first cruise was great. The second cruise was terrible, we swore we would never cruise again. That was in 1990, haven't wanted to cruise since. I will say the Disney cruises look might nice.
LOL! I bet you would like disney. Thats a long time ago and things have changed a bit. I cruise in the later 90's on NCL and things are even different since then.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #634
Daddy_of_Princesses
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post

I love finding people who are geeked up about Disney like I am.
You should check out the DISBoards. It's chock full of Disney Geeks

1987 - offsite / 1988 - offsite School Trip / 2007 - ASMo / 2010 - AKL and Poly / 2013 CB
Daddy_of_Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #635
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
LOL, she met some of her best Disney Geek friends on the DIS.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #636
Beth D
DIS Veteran

Love the updates! I'm going to like this trip with your family! Nothing like starting the cruise out with a celebratory drink!

We've only cruised DCL, but my boss and family have done Royal Carribean several times and love it. Their private island stop is a secluded area in Labadee, Haiti. It just doesn't have the ring to it like Castaway Cay though!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #637
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_of_Princesses View Post
I've heard of that place. I'll have to go check it out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
LOL, she met some of her best Disney Geek friends on the DIS.
Yes I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth D View Post
Love the updates! I'm going to like this trip with your family! Nothing like starting the cruise out with a celebratory drink!

We've only cruised DCL, but my boss and family have done Royal Carribean several times and love it. Their private island stop is a secluded area in Labadee, Haiti. It just doesn't have the ring to it like Castaway Cay though!
Thanks. It was a fun start to our cruise. After that morning, my Mom needed a drink!
I have seen pictures of Labadee, and it does look nice, but very different!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #638
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I see a lot of people saying that once you have been in a Veranda, you don't want to go back. This has not been my experience at all. We had a Veranda on the Magic in November and I am actually really glad that it is back to my beloved Bat Cave (aka Inside Cabin) for our back to back cruise in 3 months. There is a very good reason for this. I normally have issues sleeping. It takes me forever to drop off at night however late I go to bed and I rarely sleep a night through. When I am on a cruise, I am asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and sleep though the night. I have always attributed this to the movement of the ship. During our November cruise I had the same issues with sleeping that I have at home. Looking back, this happened once before. This was when we had an ocean view cabin. So I think what helps me sleep is the combination of the movement and the complete darkness in an inside cabin. Having said that, if I can make the September Panama Canal cruise work, then I am definitely in the market for a Veranda. When we did the Panama Canal cruise in 2011, it was a very long day with a lot of standing. Being able to watch the crossing from the comfort of our own Veranda would be a definite plus.

I am a bit nervous about the new ships as we are so used to the classic ships, but there are two things that are a big temptation. The Aqua Duck is one of them and the Midship Detective Agency is another.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #639
DisneyCrazMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I have to ask, what is this supposed to be?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #640
francis6306
DIS Veteran

How did Abby do with the Muster Drill It's nice that you have time to eat and play before the Muster drill!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #641
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I see a lot of people saying that once you have been in a Veranda, you don't want to go back. This has not been my experience at all. We had a Veranda on the Magic in November and I am actually really glad that it is back to my beloved Bat Cave (aka Inside Cabin) for our back to back cruise in 3 months. There is a very good reason for this. I normally have issues sleeping. It takes me forever to drop off at night however late I go to bed and I rarely sleep a night through. When I am on a cruise, I am asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and sleep though the night. I have always attributed this to the movement of the ship. During our November cruise I had the same issues with sleeping that I have at home. Looking back, this happened once before. This was when we had an ocean view cabin. So I think what helps me sleep is the combination of the movement and the complete darkness in an inside cabin. Having said that, if I can make the September Panama Canal cruise work, then I am definitely in the market for a Veranda. When we did the Panama Canal cruise in 2011, it was a very long day with a lot of standing. Being able to watch the crossing from the comfort of our own Veranda would be a definite plus.

I am a bit nervous about the new ships as we are so used to the classic ships, but there are two things that are a big temptation. The Aqua Duck is one of them and the Midship Detective Agency is another.

Corinna
You do have a good point. The one year when Skip and I sailed NCL we had an inside and we slept like rocks. It is pitchblack in there.
I would love to do the panama canal. That would be a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazMom View Post
I have to ask, what is this supposed to be?
You know, I have looked at that picture over and over and I can't figure it out. It almost looks like a rabbit with his ears down in the back and up on his haunches, BUT it would look like he has an extra set of paws sticking out front if that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
How did Abby do with the Muster Drill It's nice that you have time to eat and play before the Muster drill!
I didn't hear anything bad, so she must of "mustered" through it ok.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #642
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We found a spot up top. I was amazed at how busy the top area was already and people were squeezing right in. I kept my eye out for family members, but never did see any of them during the whole party.
As we stood there waiting for the party, I thought how different this day was compared to the day I boarded the Magic. On that day I had toured so much of the ship in the few hours before we sailed away. Today I ate and hung at the pool! LOL Both were fun though.

We stood on the lookout for family members, but never saw any.

This is a picture from that time period that Geoff took of Alexis and Abby. This was taken after the muster drill I believe.

From what I gathered later on, Gail’s family did come up on deck to watch the sail away, but Geoff, Mary, Pete, Vicki, Mom and Dad all headed towards Geoff and Mary’s room and drank some champagne. I am not sure what Katie’s family did.

Anyways, Geoff took a few atrium pictures on his way to back to the room.

Claire and I on the other hand were waiting on a PARTY!

I didn’t even think about it earlier, but I should’ve changed lenses on my camera. I had a shorter one on and the rest were back in the room. Oh well, I did the best I could.

The party has started!!!!

I noticed that the big screen must be on a delay because they it is slightly off one what the dancers on stage were doing.

I spotted some people from the podcast group.

It was a fun party and we were ready to cruise!! Our vacations was officially underway.

Claire and I then moved over to the side to watch us pull out.

In the words of Bugs Bunny ….Bon Voyageeeee! And with a blare of the Disney horn it makes it all the more exciting.

After waving to everyone, we decided to head down to our room and wave from our balcony. Also with early dinner, we needed to already start getting ready.
I never did find Gail and her family but she said she did see us walking down the stairs as we were heading to our room.

As we walked through Cabanas I made a quick stop for the mural …and then as I am clicking the picture I got a little photobomber!

Meanwhile …while Claire and I were boogying our booties off up top, the “older” crowd were taking it easy in their rooms.

Geoff took pictures of their experience.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #643
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

It's great to see all the photos of the Dream.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #644
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
It's great to see all the photos of the Dream.

Corinna
The Dream is such a beautiful ship. I really enjoy sailing on her.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #645
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Dream is such a beautiful ship. I really enjoy sailing on her.
I need a cruise. I wonder if the hubs would kill me for re-booking. I love your photography. You really take beautiful pics.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: