Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #91
Scoundrellv
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Not everyone can do things before hand. You can take a child to the bathroom and 30 seconds later they have to go again. Some people have issues you may not know about. My son takes a hefty dose of Miralax everyday and when he has to go, he has to go. Or like the poster with the 80 year old mom who couldn't walk well.

To say oh well to those kinds of situations does make someone a jerk IMO. I get that people shouldn't save a freaking row for 10 people (that would be pretty entitled). But there should be exceptions. If we were there, and my DH had to get up and take my son to the toilet and someone took his seat and didn't move, all hell would break lose.

Like I said, we just won't do the shows if they are really like that. Because according to this thread, they are only meant for the physically fit who can get there first.
[full jerk mode on]
That is how you want to spend your cruise avoiding shows because of what type of people may be there. Hope I get to be on your cruise, more seats for me and my family.
[full jerk mode off]

My main point is I'm not going to let a towel on a chair by the pool (or one person holding more than three seats for that matter) dictate to me where I'm going to sit. I believe in fairness,equality, humility , mercy, and simple acts of kindness but I'm not afraid of being assertive either.
Scoundrellv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #92
traveln4fun
Earning My Ears

She tried to save a seat for my husband and myself, but a man with a severely handicapped son said no saving seats. Thank goodness my husband was with me. He is much more reasonable and level headed in these situations. He said that poor family has much more to deal with in a day then we do in a life time, let them sit there. We move over to the next row and my daughter sat in the front row.

a little grace and mercy goes a long way.[/QUOTE]

God bless your husband.
I'm a single mother of a 23 yr. old who functions at 3. We sail only Disney because that is what my son loves and we find Disney cruisers have a little more patience and grace when it comes to awkward situations that a mother goes thru when dealing with the equivalent of a 6' 3 yr old.
traveln4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #93
jenf22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This thread is really scary, I think we will just skip the shows and pool. If someone started elbowing my kid, on purpose and repeatedly, I would definitely lose it. I really can't stand entitled people. Might be safer for everyone if I just avoid it. *sigh* it's the same reason I avoid those situations in the parks. I never go to Fantasia, jam packed days, or do parades. I just can't deal with arrogant people at all.

It's also why we saved for concierge so I could get a cabana and avoid crowd issues on the beach.

Granted, not every person is an entitled jerk. I've met some lovely people in the parks! I just have a hard time letting I go when someone is rude and that seems to happen more often than not. It's even worse with my 7 year old because he will always wait his turn in lines and he is very shy and quiet. Unfortunately he gets walked all over because of it.

It's very difficult, especially at Disney, to help your child understand why being polite and using manners means everyone else gets their way and you lose out.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
There are a lot of scary threads here. You just have to take the stuff you read here with a grain of salt. I was freaked out about our first cruise - dining room attire, kid in adult areas, not being able to use my cup to get soda, saving seats, jerks at the pool, not spending enough on the FE, the list goes on and on...

BUT... we never had any of these issues on any of our cruises so far. We choose to sit in the back of the theater, we've never been in the pools (I have no desire to be crammed with hundreds of other people in a pool the size of my cubicle - though we will ride the Aquaduck on the Fantasy in September), the CMs offered to fill my refillable cup every time we were at the buffet (and they did NOT use the little cups first - they held it right under the stream just like thousands of people do every day at buffets and Subways everywhere), and I never once noticed what other people were wearing in the dining rooms...

Our son sounds just like yours - he'll always move aside to let someone cut in front of him. It's hard teaching him to be polite while trying to explain other people's behavior. I think it's important for kids (and some people here) to learn that not everything is as it seems. Sometimes people may appear rude or entitled, but we don't know the whole story. I think it's also important to teach that not all battles are worth fighting - you can not reason with unreasonable people. Someone being rude to you doesn't warrant you being rude to them. Try being nicer to them. It's oddly satisfying...

That's just my 2 cents...
jenf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #94
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Just curious but is this type of behavior seen more often on crowded cruises or the shorter 3-4 night cruises? I've read that they tend to function at a more frenzied energy level so I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. I've only done off season cruises, because I honestly can't afford to sail at peak times, so I haven't experienced any of this.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #95
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenf22 View Post
There are a lot of scary threads here. You just have to take the stuff you read here with a grain of salt. I was freaked out about our first cruise - dining room attire, kid in adult areas, not being able to use my cup to get soda, saving seats, jerks at the pool, not spending enough on the FE, the list goes on and on...

BUT... we never had any of these issues on any of our cruises so far. We choose to sit in the back of the theater, we've never been in the pools (I have no desire to be crammed with hundreds of other people in a pool the size of my cubicle - though we will ride the Aquaduck on the Fantasy in September), the CMs offered to fill my refillable cup every time we were at the buffet (and they did NOT use the little cups first - they held it right under the stream just like thousands of people do every day at buffets and Subways everywhere), and I never once noticed what other people were wearing in the dining rooms...

That's just my 2 cents...
I found it the same way. If you want to be in the front row, you can but off to the side. If you want to sit by the pool, it might take some planning but you'll be able to do it, or sit up a deck, or sit in the shade. I've never been in a pool except the aquaduck (1 ride) because there are just too many kids and it is too loud. My choice, and I much prefer deck 4 for sitting and reading.

On the Christmas cruise we went on, it was pretty crowded, and also it seemed that many of the cruisers were from other countries. Their customs are different. In some countries, the concept of a line is not known. Push push push. They aren't rude, that's just their way.

If I want to enjoy myself, I need to step back, sit in another row, let someone else go first. There are plenty of seats, there are plenty of loungers, plenty of food, drinks, character meetings.

What there aren't plenty of are elevators!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #96
Nannylisad
Nannylisad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
Peeing in the pool, while gross to think about, is not what makes it require draining since normal healthy urine is sterile. However, kids who are told by their parents to just pee in the pool will likely do the other, which does require the sanitizing.
Lol. But are sure it's normal. And urea is a toxin.
But I 100% agree it's gross however, I'm sure tons of kids do it. I'm sure adults do it. 8 /
Nannylisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #97
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Gross. I'd never tell my kid to pee in the pool. He rushes out when it's time. We sailed when he was 5 and he knew better than to do that.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #98
Nannylisad
Nannylisad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzpat
I have read this thread with interest and now make my confession sans an apology. On my one and only long cruise to date I was on the receiving end of a condemning stare and snide comment. The stare and the comment were because I and my spouse dared to save two seats for an afternoon program. The snide comment was made just as I was standing up so that my sister and mom could sit in these two apparently ill-gotten seats. Out of embarrassment I quickly and quietly explained who the seats were for and that my 80 year old mother had hurt her foot and could barely get around. I thought that would end the matter. It didn't. I was subject to additional comments then and again after the performance. I was stunned, furious, and if pushed further likely to get ugly. My mom is a beautiful woman who worked hard her whole life raising a family while her husband served his country in two wars. She hardly ever asked for anything in her life. Except a cruise. After raising her 7 children and 13 grandchildren we finally talked her into the cruise she always wanted but wouldn't take. Like I said, she was 80. Sadly two days before the trip she broke a small bone in her foot. She still wanted to go on the cruise though. So for 9 days my sister, spouse, and I did absolutely everything we could to keep her off her foot so as not to cause her any pain. I would not normally save seats but we did the best we could so as not to hurt her or jumble up the crowds. I am just so very, very grateful that on her trip of a lifetime she didn't hear the snide remarks - they would have deeply hurt her and ruined her trip.

So why have I gone into such detail? It's to ask for patience for our fellow travelers. Now forget the peeing in the pool or putting a filthy spoon back into the food, but in those other instances, have patience -- there may be a reason someone is breaking a rule.
:0). I'm glad she was able to enjoy the cruise ! All is well. You know if it's not a health risk or safety issue I just let it roll :0)
Nannylisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #99
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I don't care about being in the front row of a show or sitting by the pool so I'm sure I'll be fine. No one in my family really likes crowds or clawing our way to the front anywhere. I'd like to check out at least one show since I've never been, but lord help me if my kid needs to go to the bathroom (and he likely will....he has magical timing, lol). The people soup pool looks icky to me but I'd like to sit out there at night or in morning, or maybe just take a stroll. I think my son wants to try the little slide (on Magic) at least once. Maybe we will go out early, though I wonder if it would be freezing in October. We're gonna get a cabana so I think CC will be fine I just want to relax and make sure the kids have a good time. I'm sure we will find plenty of things to have fun with.

Like I said, we try to be polite and nice. My husband flat out refuses to sit at all on a bus or monorail that way people don't even have the option to decline. It's just some of these stories, and responses, are a bit saddening. The "all about me" attitudes drive me bonkers. I could learnma lesson from the above poster that says to try being nicer to the entitled, lol. I have a hard time with that. My hubby is good at blowing stuff off where as I want to strangle people :P

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #100
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
On our cruise we waited for the theater to open, it was crowded and my daughter went down to the first row. We got separated by a few dozen people. She tried to save a seat for my husband and myself, but a man with a severely handicapped son said no saving seats. Thank goodness my husband was with me. He is much more reasonable and level headed in these situations. He said that poor family has much more to deal with in a day then we do in a life time, let them sit there. We move over to the next row and my daughter sat in the front row.

I feel the seat saving rule in the theater is for someone saving lots of seats for a long time. If someone is saving one or two seats for someone in the rest room or grabbing a drink a little grace and mercy goes a long way.
I wanted to say Thank You for that point of view! My oldest has not-immediately apparent special needs, and we do "break the rules" where I hold seats for my family and DH brings the 3 kids in at the very last minute. We usually clear this with a CM, but I still get my share of comments. Grace and Mercy is greatly appreciated!!
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #101
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melglnh2o View Post
A coworker just told me that there are jail cells on cruise ships. I guess I never really thought about it but does anyone know if this is true for DCL? Does anyone know of someone who has not followed the rules and was thrown in jail during a cruise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Yes, they have a brig.

No, they won't throw you in the brig for saving seats or having a child in the Cove. I've heard of it being used only once regarding a passenger who had physically assaulted another passenger.
I think I saw somewhere that they used to have a brig on the classic ships but converted it to offices for DVC instead. They will usually confine someone to an inside sate room most of the time.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #102
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

As a side note for those who have mentioned cruising with someone who needed assistance, you can contact the CMs before the show and they will let you into the theater early so that you and the person needing extra assistance [for whatever reason] can be settled in your seats safely out of the way when the doors are open.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #103
TBMommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Regarding the comments on jumping ahead in the buffet lines, my understanding is that on the Dream and Fantasy there if no line and you directly to the station.
We were told more than once by CM on the Dream to please not wait in line but just go to each station. But the one time we did, some ladies next to us getting food from anther spot started going on and on to themselves about how rude we were for line cutting when they wanted to move on to where we were.
TBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #104
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

For those getting nervous, we did a 7 day Fantasy in Jan and I didn't see a single case of someone being deliberately rude. Well, there was one guy that cut the line at Guest Services (the CM very politely directed him to the line, which I'm pretty sure he already new about) but nothing else. Even in the shows, every time someone sat near us they would ask if someone was sitting there before sitting down. Whenever you get 4000 ppl in the same place there are bound to be small irritants, but everyone was polite.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: