Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

The first time I went to Disney since Fast Pass was introduced was for a day back two years ago after Mom and I said good bye to a family member nearby. It took me asking a cast member what FP meant on the map to understand what a Fastpass was. It was also a reminder that I need to plan a little bit more than I do for just staffing an anime convention (what I spend some of my vacation on). It's why I decided to get smarter on vacation planning.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a case where she may have visited Universal first where there's no free FP unless you're staying at one of their resorts,then she may have visited Disney and never used the FP machines assuming they were only for resort guests,then on a future visit decided to stay at a Disney resort.I still find it amazing how many people I talk to who have no idea all these theme parks are not run by the same company.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Cruisin
If you can't carry it, you don't need it
I keep on posting to things just so I can look at my tags
I love my Captain Mickey antenna topper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
I still find it amazing how many people I talk to who have no idea all these theme parks are not run by the same company.
I was talking to someone who is going to Disney for the first time. She told me she wanted to bring her son home a Harry Potter wand

I said, oh, are you going to Universal Studios too.

Her reply ...... oh yes, we've got one of those passes where you can go to all the parks.

I tried to tell her that Universal Studios is not a part of Disney Parks but she insisted that yes it was and that she could go there with her park hopper passes because she "saw people going there on the video"

Okay, have fun, was basically what I told her.

I hope her son is not too disappointed that he doesn't get his Harry Potter Wand from Disney!
Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
DisNikki
Mouseketeer

I think people see the FastPass machines, see someone putting a ticket into it but assume it's a credit card and that's why they think you have to pay. Or at least that's what my DBiL thought the first time he saw a machine. We quickly set him straight

- Several trips as a child (off-site, Poly twice)
- 3/26-4/3/11 with FIL, BIL and his family - a total of 9 people! Stayed off-site at Orange Lake North Village
- Planning a trip for 5/24-6/3/2013, staying at CSR

DisNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

I have never heard someone comment about special privileges or paying extra as I walked through the fastpass lane past them standing in the standby queue. Maybe my hearing is not that good (probably caused by someone next to me on Tower of Terror screaming). But I would have stopped to explain the whole Fastpass process to him. Also the park brochures all describe (regular) Fastpass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin View Post
I was talking to someone who is going to Disney for the first time. She told me she wanted to bring her son home a Harry
Potter wand.

I said, oh, are you going to Universal Studios too.

Her reply ...... oh yes, we've got one of those passes where you can go to all the parks.

I tried to tell her that Universal Studios is not a part of Disney Parks but she insisted that yes it was and that she could go there with her park hopper passes because she "saw people going there on the video"

Okay, have fun, was basically what I told her.

I hope her son is not too disappointed that he doesn't get his Harry Potter Wand from Disney!
Yes you can get these passes allowing entrance to Universal Studios Florida and a variety of other places in the area in any order, combination, or repetition over a span of so many days. No Disney parks are included.

More on brainwashing: http://www.cockam.com/disbugs.htm
Hotel scam! Someone "from the front desk" calls your room phone or knocks on the door, usually after midnight, asking for your credit card number to complete your billing or you will be kicked out. Don't give it to him. It can wait until dawn when you stop by the front desk. This includes Disney's resorts too.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
I have never heard someone comment about special privileges or paying extra as I walked through the fastpass lane past them standing in the standby queue. Maybe my hearing is not that good (probably caused by someone next to me on Tower of Terror screaming). But I would have stopped to explain the whole Fastpass process to him. Also the park brochures all describe (regular) Fastpass.

Yes you can get these passes allowing entrance to Universal Studios Florida and a variety of other places in the area in any order, combination, or repetition over a span of so many days. No Disney parks are included.

Some do think that you pay extra for it. But shouting it out brings attention to themselves over the inability to pay for it. They don't say anything they just feel down and wish they could afford it. They would have no one to get angry with except themselves.

What people do get upset about is the idea that Disney would put them in this position. They paid the same thing to get in as those walking by and yet they were unable to get one. PLEASE, don't bother with the 'well they could have gotten one if they got their lazy butt up early like I did and get here early. That is true, to an extent, but it is an oversimplified way to make ourselves feel better about it. Others chose not to get a Fastpass, because of a number of reasons, one being a life situation that doesn't allow them to get there at the crack of dawn or they just love to experience the WHOLE attraction. They still, however, sometimes get frustrated when their reward for admiring the work put into those queues is that they wait and wait and wait while others go past. Again the blame goes to Disney. Even though we all hear that somebody doesn't understand how Fastpass works, they are a huge minority.

As for the combination park tickets, it seems to me that I read about that happening once as a trial run, but I don't remember Disney ever being involved in it. Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universal were grouped together, but there would be no benefit to WDW to be involved.

The reason for the Universal/Disney common mix up is mostly because people confuse Universal and Disney Hollywood Studio's and don't realize that one isn't the other. The part that is hard to understand is why when someone tells them differently they stubbornly hang onto the thought that they are correct and someone that has been there is wrong.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
Cruisin

Quote:

I know for an absolute fact that she is not getting one of those and has no plans on leaving Disney property.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Cruisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanic View Post

The part that is hard to understand is why when someone tells them differently they stubbornly hang onto the thought that they are correct and someone that has been there is wrong.
I know. I tried to tell her but after a couple minutes gave up and just let her believe what she wanted to believe.

I just wish that I could be there when she figures it out
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I go to WDW probably about twice a year, and have done so for the past 10 years. And on at least every other trip, I head someone say something about having to pay for FPs...and it's usually while they are standing in the standby line. I have explained the whole FP system to guests though...there was the one time I overheard a dad tell his son that they just couldn't afford anything else, so they wouldn't be able to use those Fast Pass things. I apologized for overhearing, but wanted them to know how FP works..and that they could use it, for free. The dad was so excited..he couldn't stop thanking me!!
But, other people? The ones that are all cranky and nasty about it? As if I have done something to them personally by getting a FP? Nope, not explaining a thing to them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin View Post
I know. I tried to tell her but after a couple minutes gave up and just let her believe what she wanted to believe.

I just wish that I could be there when she figures it out
It amazes me to see how much misinformation is out there. I was once told, by a friend, that if you stay at the GF, you can ride the monorail directly to Epcot. Oh, and it's only GF guests that were able to ride up front!!

Or, the people that think WDW is only MK!!! And that the other parks belong to someone else. Or, as you mentioned, those that think all the Orlando parks are tied together and you can get passes to all of them, in one pass, or get shuttles between them.
For the life of me, I can't understand how people can spend thousands of dollars for a vacation and then not do a lick of research.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

One day I was at rope drop at the MK. (Actually, my husband and the kids were watching the RD show. I was up front with the tickets, the designated Fastpass runner.)

I was next to a mom and her 12ish year old son. We started to chat, and she asked me when the shows started.

"Shows?? What kind of shows??" I asked.

"You know- the shows and stuff that happen here." she replied.

So I explained that, for the most part, there weren't lots of shows--parades and stuff, but no shows. Then I turned to her son and asked what kinds of rides he liked. Based on his comments, I directed her to Splash/ Big Thunder Mountains (Space was being rehabbed that year.) Then I told her she needed to see Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Monsters Laugh Floor and I forget what else.

She was incredibly grateful, and I was happy to help.

I always feel so sad for people who think that a Disney vacation is like so many others-- pay your money, show up, and let the vacation begin! A little knowledge can make such a tremendous difference in your appreciation for all that's there.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #26
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

These kinds of stories are part of why I'm starting to think FP+ is not going to result in a seismic shift in people's touring (in general). For all of us who diligently plan our trips there are many more who don't. If people have such a hard time in the parks with the old FP system, they aren't likely to educate themselves about FP+ much less book FPs in advance and adjust plans at the park. The people who will be affected, though, are the ones that really know how to use the current system - at least based on what we think we know about the new system.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
emmsmama
Mouseketeer

A lot of confusion comes in because Universal/IOA does give special privileges to those who stay onsite and you can buy their express passes. The name Hollywood Studios also confuses people sometimes.

My last trip to WDW, I had almost a whole year to plan for, but this trip I'm putting together in two weeks' time. If this was my first trip I don't know if I'd have all the info. in time.

I've had people also look at me strange when I tried to give them a Fastpass that we weren't going to use. I had to explain to them that it was perfectly okay to use it and bypass the regular line with it.
emmsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

I don't really like people in the FP line. They think they're all that...dancing and cheering in their short line with their stupid clothes

Unless I'm also in the FP line, then they're great. But other than that, I look at them with envy and disdain.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Last edited by Bullseye; 02-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
Ametista
DIS Veteran

I am baffled that people can take such an expensive vacation and spend no time researching (which would make it much less expensive!!!).

Or maybe I just over-research everything but we sure do have some inexpensive Orlando trips compared to what I have heard!!!!
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
Ametista
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloesDaddy View Post
These kinds of stories are part of why I'm starting to think FP+ is not going to result in a seismic shift in people's touring (in general). For all of us who diligently plan our trips there are many more who don't. If people have such a hard time in the parks with the old FP system, they aren't likely to educate themselves about FP+ much less book FPs in advance and adjust plans at the park. The people who will be affected, though, are the ones that really know how to use the current system - at least based on what we think we know about the new system.
Yeah! Honestly it was already complicated enough.

I remember when I was a kid we would go to Disneyland and get a ticket book, 1 ticket per ride. We spent the whole day searching for people's leftover books and hoping there would be a Matterhorn or Space Mountain ticket left in there. That was true treasure hunting.
Ametista is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: