Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
valree
Mouseketeer

Cosmic Ray's
On Magic Kingdom day, I only ate an apple for breakfast because I didnít want to spend the time at a sit-down restaurant. I wanted to get to the park early! I think that I need to accept the fact that I will never make it to rope drop. I want to do it just once in my life, but something always happens! Little did I know that no one in my group had eaten so when we got to the park, they wanted to sit down and eat at the Main Street Bakery. We had a few snacks with us to nibble on during the day, but by the afternoon, I was starving and ready to eat. I steered the group over to Cosmic Rayís because I knew they had GF hamburgers. Even though the restaurant was packed, ordering didnít take as long as it had in the past. I told the cashier that I wanted a GF bacon cheeseburger, and she called over the manager who took my order pretty quickly. We stood for a little while waiting for the food, but I wasnít surprised because of how busy the restaurant was. After we got our food, we turned in circles for a bit while looking for somewhere to eat. Then I noticed that you had to stand in long line and wait for someone to show you to an available table. I didnít want to stand in another line so we took a chance on going outside to look for a table in the seating area. It took us a few laps to find a seat, but we eventually did. Four of us sat at one table, and the other 3 sat at a table on the other side of the area.

The burger was a typical Disney park burger served on that weird bread that I talked about in my Kona Cafť review. The burger wasnít as hot as I would have liked, but I guess thatís what happens when you wander around before eating your food. The meat was pretty dry, and I was glad that I had my emergency BBQ sauce to slather on the meat. My 8-year-old goddaughter was amused watching me take a Burger King BBQ sauce packet out of my purse, but I told her that the Heinz BBQ that Disney uses isnít GF. When youíre GF, you learn how to improvise! The fries were good as usual. I gotta give it to Disney Ė they do a good job with French fries. Iíll most likely eat here again (I somehow always end up here or at Pecos Bill around lunch), but I think Iíll try something different next time.

valree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
KristenFNJ
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reviews! It's been a while since we ate at Cosmic Rays, but it was definitely before you had to wait in line to be directed to an empty seat! Yikes, when did that start!!!

I also didn't know about the Heinz BBQ sauce, just because I don't think it's ever come up (I know I would ask about any sauce before letting my 3 celiacs have it, I guess it's never come up!). I'm surprised again, that of all the BBQ sauces on the market, and tons of amazing ones from mainstream companies, that are gluten free, they'd pick one that's not g/f. Oh well! Good to know!!! Thanks again!
KristenFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Did you have to wait for them to bake the fries or did they finally get that dedicated allergy frier at Cosmic Ray's? We haven't eaten there in a long time (maybe 1.5 years?) but last time we did, the manager was excited about the fact that he was working on getting another fryer that he could dedicate to allergy food including (maybe only for? do they have other fried allergy food?) fries.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
valree
Mouseketeer

Hmm, that's a good question about the fries, but I honestly don't know the answer! What I do know is that now I'm craving fries!

Yes, you would think that Disney could find a GF BBQ sauce in little packets!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
valree
Mouseketeer

Epcot
We started off our Epcot day with breakfast at the hotelís sit-down restaurant, Palm Breezes. I had a made-to-order omelet at the station and some fresh fruit. I didnít know that kids eat free so that was a nice treat. Nobody was hungry in Future World, but by the time we got to World Showcase, everyone was armed with the gift card wrist bands and ready to eat around the world. The wrist bands really come in handy! I ate:

Australia- Shrimp on the Barbie with Pepper Berry Citrus Glaze: This was OK. The shrimp pieces were pretty small, and the flavor was just alright. I could taste the heat, but it wasnít overwhelming.

Cheese- Trio of Artisan Cheeses: Beecherís Flagship Reserve Cheddar, La Bonne Vie Goat Brie and Rogue River Creamery Echo Mountain Blue Cheese: I ordered this plate and gave the bread to my goddaughter, who ate it with her fondue. I enjoyed all of the items, but I especially loved whichever cheese it was that was drizzled with honey. If I ever turned down cheese, youíd know that I was having a bad day.

Caribbean- Jerk Spiced Chicken Drumstick with Mango Chutney: I enjoyed this one even though Iím not much of a drumstick person. The flavor was nice, and it was served at the right temperature. I remember thinking that the shrimp was not as warm as I would have liked. Iíd eat the drumstick again.

Florida- Florida Shrimp Ceviche: I liked the shrimp in this dish, but I didnít like the sauce. It was a little too acidic for me. The plantain was pretty boring. Iíve had way better plantains elsewhere.

I was disappointed that the Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Purťe from Argentina were only considered GF if you ate it without the chimichurri. I also wanted the Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta and ďMinus 8″ Onion Jam from the Canada booth, but that was not marked GF this year. I had it in the past with no problem, but I didnít want to take a chance this time. I just realized now that the filet mignon was on the GF menu, and I have no idea why I didnít try it. Franceís chocolate crŤme brulee was not on the GF menu either which was another surprise for me. CrŤme brulee?? I didnít try the Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileyís Ganache at the Ireland booth. I remember seeing discussion about it on threads here, but I was too nervous to give it a try.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
valree
Mouseketeer

Giordanoís
For dinner on our last night, we decided to get pizza from Giordanoís and bring it back to the room. I told my friend to call in an order from the Giordanoís on 192 because it was on the way back from Publix where my other friend and I needed to pick up my goddaughterís birthday cake. When we got to Giordanoís, the hostess couldnít find our order, and thatís when we realized that we were at the wrong Giordanoís. We asked the hostess where the other location was, and she said that thereís one on 535 so we headed to that location. It ended up being OK because it was close to our hotel.

The non-GF diners got 2 deep-dish pizzas, and I ordered a thin-crust pizza with sausage. My pizza was delicious! As you know, Iím picky when it comes to flour () so I was prepared for the worst, but I had no reason to worry. Before I was GF, I had Giordanoís in Chicago and thought the deep-dish pizza was just OK compared to Ginoís, which had been my favorite for years. Giordanoís is definitely a winner in the GF category. It even beats out my local pizza place. I think itís the sauce; the sauce has the right amount of tanginess to it. The sausage and the crust were perfect too. I saved the leftovers and ended up flying home with them the next day and eating them for dinner. I donít know if Iíve ever travelled with leftover pizza before! I will order from Giordanoís again in the future. I think my family is renting a house this year, and Giordanoís will be great for one of those nights where hang out at the house.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valree View Post
Babycakes NYC
After walking around Downtown Disney, we headed to Babycakes. By this time, Downtown Disney was really crowded so it took us a while to get there. Plus, we had a stops for souvenirs and Italian ice. I had asked Emily, the GM at Babycakes and frequent guest on the WDW Today podcast, about the items containing garbanzo bean flour, and she helped me choose what to get. Emily was great, and very quick to respond to any questions that you might have. She said that most things contain garbanzo bean flour except for the Brownie Bites and Brownie Cupcakes. I decided on a Brownie Cupcake. I paid for it, and ate in the hotel room. What a mistake! If I had eaten it there, I would have known to go back and get 4 more! It was delicious! The brownie was moist, and the frosting was not overly sweet. Now I had to plan time to come back and get more. That never happened, and thankfully I had my emergency French Meadow brownies that I always take with me. I will definitely go back to Babycakes on my next trip!

Next up: Cosmic Ray's
This past trip was our first trip with DS being gluten free, we were so excited to try Babycakes, but like you I didn't want to get too much if he didn't like it. We got donuts for the next morning, and they were gone so fast! We made a point to go back two more times during our trip so he could get some goodies

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
babyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
valree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
This past trip was our first trip with DS being gluten free, we were so excited to try Babycakes, but like you I didn't want to get too much if he didn't like it. We got donuts for the next morning, and they were gone so fast! We made a point to go back two more times during our trip so he could get some goodies
The first stop on my next trip: Babycakes!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
valree
Mouseketeer

Big River Grille
We had an ADR at Kouzzina on our last day, and I had been looking forward to leisurely breakfast before we all went our separate ways. We started out late, and it took us an extra long time to get to the Boardwalk. When we got to the restaurant, the very nice hostess told us that they couldnít seat us because breakfast was over. I saw servers sitting at the tables folding napkins, so yeah, we were pretty late! I was bummed, but there was nothing else that we could do. We went outside to regroup to think of a plan B. We decided to go to Big River Grille because it was close by instead of getting back into our cars and going somewhere else.

It was a beautiful day so the hostess sat us outside. As our server was taking our drink orders, I asked her if they could accommodate GF diners. She said that I can have anything. What ďanythingĒ really meant was any burger or sandwich without a bun or any entrťe except for items involving pasta because they donít serve GF pasta. I chose the bunless California Chicken Sandwich, which is ďGrilled chicken topped with Swiss cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato and Ranch dressing.Ē The sandwich is served with kettle chips, but I ended up switching with my goddaughter. She took my chips, and I took her mashed potatoes. This may have been the most boring chicken sandwich Iíve ever eaten. Everything about it was blah. The chicken was bland, as if it was just thrown on the grill with no seasoning. Even the ranch dressing had no flavor. The others at the table werenít impressed with their meals either. The kids didnít even finish the chocolate cake that came with the kids meals. I never thought Iíd see one of them leave a dessert on the table. I donít know if the restaurant was having an off day or if itís always like that, but I never seem to see many reviews about it. The food was boring, and the service was just OK.

My next trip will be at the end of October, and Iíve got a few restaurants in mind. I want to try some new things (Yachtsman Steakhouse and Flying Fish) and revisit a few old favorites (California Grill and Artist Point) depending on how long Iím in town. There are a few off-site places Iíd like to try as well: 4 Rivers Smokehouse for BBQ and the Chef's Table at the Edgewater. I have a few other bakeries Iíd like to try as well. Breakfast at Kouzzina is also on the list.

Thatís the end of my trip report. Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to reading all of your reports in the future!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #25
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the report! We've been several times, but it's always nice to hear what GF offerings are available. DS loves being at Disney so much...it's the only time he feels normal while eating out.
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: