DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #151
Cruise04
Oh that is so incredibly cool!
Grape jelly and chili sauce YUM

I actually liked being near the restaurant because I could enjoy the music from my lanai. I didn't realize the chanter did the chant at 7:05, I was awake generally anyway since I couldn't get on Hawaii time to save my life. However, the pool noise in general did NOT bother me. I'm NOT complaining about general pool noise. There was one small child, and I actually finally saw her on the tubes in the lazy river, that would screech very high pitched. From the time she got to the pool to the time she left. This went on from Wednesday until I left yesterday, except for when I was gone. I am very sensitive to high pitch noises and generally can drown them out. But when I'm in the shower and can hear ONE child...that is ridiculous and lack of parental guidance as far as I'm concerned. I could tell when the pool opened, I could tell when they went to lunch or for a nap and I could tell when they left the pool area for the day. She was out noisying the construction beeps at some points. And at one point on Saturday, I knew when she was at the beach as well.

However, I tried to not let any of that bother me because I was not in IL in the cold or at work. But the high pitch screech was bothering my ear.
Cruise04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #152
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise04 View Post
I actually liked being near the restaurant because I could enjoy the music from my lanai. I didn't realize the chanter did the chant at 7:05, I was awake generally anyway since I couldn't get on Hawaii time to save my life. However, the pool noise in general did NOT bother me. I'm NOT complaining about general pool noise. There was one small child, and I actually finally saw her on the tubes in the lazy river, that would screech very high pitched. From the time she got to the pool to the time she left. This went on from Wednesday until I left yesterday, except for when I was gone. I am very sensitive to high pitch noises and generally can drown them out. But when I'm in the shower and can hear ONE child...that is ridiculous and lack of parental guidance as far as I'm concerned. I could tell when the pool opened, I could tell when they went to lunch or for a nap and I could tell when they left the pool area for the day. She was out noisying the construction beeps at some points. And at one point on Saturday, I knew when she was at the beach as well.

However, I tried to not let any of that bother me because I was not in IL in the cold or at work. But the high pitch screech was bothering my ear.
Believe it or not, I think she went home today too! I haven't heard a shriek all day!
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #153
Jamie
Mouseketeer

Unhappy Additional Thoughts

I too just returned from Aulani (Sunday) and I think everyone has done a good job giving their trip reports on the last week. I will say we had an amazing and relaxing trip but have no doubt it is very noisy. One day we thought they were crushing glass all day. I think Disney has done a pretty poor job in the way they have handled it. I talked to some members who had no idea it was being torn up until they arrived. They were very upset that Disney had not communicated anything to them. One of the other things I thought was a little upsetting was hearing all the cash customer talked about the great deal they got (like 40% off) because of the remodel yet as DVC members we "pay" full price. I think it would have gone a long way to help soften the blow of all the noise it DVC had either offered a small points credit or even a small resort credit. Just my thoughts.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #154
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I too just returned from Aulani (Sunday) and I think everyone has done a good job giving their trip reports on the last week. I will say we had an amazing and relaxing trip but have no doubt it is very noisy. One day we thought they were crushing glass all day. I think Disney has done a pretty poor job in the way they have handled it. I talked to some members who had no idea it was being torn up until they arrived. They were very upset that Disney had not communicated anything to them. One of the other things I thought was a little upsetting was hearing all the cash customer talked about the great deal they got (like 40% off) because of the remodel yet as DVC members we "pay" full price. I think it would have gone a long way to help soften the blow of all the noise it DVC had either offered a small points credit or even a small resort credit. Just my thoughts.
I am trying to keep upbeat about our trip in May. But some of the things I am hearing is really making it difficult. This will be our first trip to Hawaii and I don't think we will be returning too soon. I am not expecting perfection, but having the resort torn up and loud noises all day will upset me. Sure wish we could delay the trip. But we borrowed points, have purchased airline tickets, and non- refundable resort stays on the Big Island. We chose these dates because the CM I spoke with said that they should be about finished by the time we go and that there shouldn't be much construction going on by then, just finishing touches. This is kind of a once in a lifetime trip for my 50th birthday. I sure hope that it isn't as bad as I am imagining it.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #155
christine*
Mouseketeer

I just got back from Aulani yesterday. We had an 9th floor ocean view in the Ewa building. The view was amazing! I didn't really notice the construction noise from our balcony and we had the patio doors open the whole time.

As far as the pool and beach, the construction noise didn't bother us. I grew up in a city though, so background sounds like construction don't stand out to me. There are kids around the pool, some were well behave and some weren't. Sure it would have been nice if they weren't there, but they were. Just like I've learned to ignore the whining/crying kids while in the parks, I ignored the annoying kids at the pool.

For those who are worried about their upcoming trip: Aulani is a beautiful property! Don't let the construction ruin your excitement for your trip =)
Hawaii Aulani April 2014 Disney Cruise November 2013 Disneyworld BLT November 2013Disneyland DLH September 2013 Hawaii Aulani Feb 2013Disneyworld BLT Feb 2012Disneyland GCH 4/4/11-4/7/11Disneyworld SSR 3/13/10 - 3/16/10Disneyworld AKV 3/9/13-3/13/10Disneyland VGC 1/10/10-1/12/10Disneyland Off-Site 7/16/09Disneyland GCH 6/16/09-6/19/09Disneyland GCH 1/6/09-1/9/09Disneyworld CR 3/16/08-3/20/08Disneyworld ASMovies 3/14/08-3/16/08

christine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #156
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine* View Post
I just got back from Aulani yesterday. We had an 9th floor ocean view in the Ewa building. The view was amazing! I didn't really notice the construction noise from our balcony and we had the patio doors open the whole time.

As far as the pool and beach, the construction noise didn't bother us. I grew up in a city though, so background sounds like construction don't stand out to me. There are kids around the pool, some were well behave and some weren't. Sure it would have been nice if they weren't there, but they were. Just like I've learned to ignore the whining/crying kids while in the parks, I ignored the annoying kids at the pool.

For those who are worried about their upcoming trip: Aulani is a beautiful property! Don't let the construction ruin your excitement for your trip =)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm really not worried about children and the noise that normally comes along with them. I was a teacher for many years and that type of noise is just background sounds to me. We are more concerned with the appearance and availability of certain areas of the resort due to construction. The view of the construction walls from the beach seem to look pretty bad from the pictures I've seen. And with the quiet pool out of commission, we are concerned with a crowded main pool. I think that the main problem is wondering whether the construction will put a damper on the atmosphere of the resort. We were assuming we would be in a tropical wonderland not a construction zone.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #157
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Eva, I'm with Christine. We spent 8 nights at Aulani in January and the construction didn't bother us at all. The pool was crowded only on the weekend and even then not so bad. Actually, the deck was crowded not the pool. Hard to find a lounger. Beach had plenty of room.

As for the view of the walls from the beach, we face the ocean when we're enjoying the beach. One of my favorite things to do on vacation in Hawaii is to walk in the early morning along the shore. The walls didn't bother me even then. The walls depict the "enhancements" and are fun to see. And I've seen some people talk about Ama Ama being impacted by the walls. We couldn't see the walls at all from our table either time. Just ask for a table set back a bit if you think it will bother you.

The Valley is so heavily landscaped that the construction walls aren't visible from most areas on the ground level. Certainly visible from the area where the cabanas are located but again whether in a cabana or a plain old lounger, you will be facing the pool not the construction walls.

Enjoy the anticipation. Aulani is truly beautiful.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #158
dianeschlicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Funny, but we DID get notice of the construction, and I didn't think there was that much noise at all. Perhaps it's location though. The only place I really noticed the noise from the construction was when we were at Lawani Spa for our spa treatments, and then I only heard it from the outdoor water areas.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #159
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

We're headed to Aulani in April (woo!). I called MS and checked with them about the state of the construction. The CM I talked to had extremely limited information about the "expansion" (I was corrected, it's not construction, it's expansion".) I was given Aulani's main phone number 808-674-6200 and told that I could call them a week or so before our arrival to get an update.

I'm a pretty flexible person and can just roll with whatever changes are happening. However, my spouse is very particular and I'm a bit nervous about her reaction. Hopefully the beauty of Hawaii and just being on vacation will help reduce any impact that the construction, errrr, expansion will have.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #160
Lisacope
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
We're headed to Aulani in April (woo!). I called MS and checked with them about the state of the construction. The CM I talked to had extremely limited information about the "expansion" (I was corrected, it's not construction, it's expansion".) I was given Aulani's main phone number 808-674-6200 and told that I could call them a week or so before our arrival to get an update.

I'm a pretty flexible person and can just roll with whatever changes are happening. However, my spouse is very particular and I'm a bit nervous about her reaction. Hopefully the beauty of Hawaii and just being on vacation will help reduce any impact that the construction, errrr, expansion will have.
I just returned from Aulani. Our room was on the 4th floor of the Ewa tower, room 476 so fairly close to the elevators. I never heard or was bothered by construction noise. Perhaps it is because there was so much ambient noise from the pool slide and the menehune bridge? The construction in front of the Waiane tower was not visible from our room and when we ate at Ama Ama we could see the construction walls from our table but it did not obstruct the view at all.
Lisacope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #161
PCMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisacope

I just returned from Aulani. Our room was on the 4th floor of the Ewa tower, room 476 so fairly close to the elevators. I never heard or was bothered by construction noise. Perhaps it is because there was so much ambient noise from the pool slide and the menehune bridge? The construction in front of the Waiane tower was not visible from our room and when we ate at Ama Ama we could see the construction walls from our table but it did not obstruct the view at all.
I was just there as well in 579. No noise from the unit but I did notice some from the pool. It seems like most of the construction is near the hotel side of the resort.
PCMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #162
blondietink
DIS Veteran

I am a little confused ...... which side of the resort is DVC and which side is the hotel? For some reason I thought they were all together, but when I think about it, all the other hotel/DVC combinations at WDW are separate (BCV/BWV/BLT/AKV Kidani/VWL).
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #163
wdrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
I am a little confused ...... which side of the resort is DVC and which side is the hotel? For some reason I thought they were all together, but when I think about it, all the other hotel/DVC combinations at WDW are separate (BCV/BWV/BLT/AKV Kidani/VWL).
Perhaps the map below will help.

The DVC vacation homes are are both sides of the resort. As you look at the map, the vacation homes on the left side, or Ewa side, are in the wings numbered 50-59, 60-69, and 70-89. The vacation homes on the right side, or Waianae (Why-a-KNEE) side are in the wing numbered 01-13.

The hotel portion of Aulani is on the Waianae side in the wings numbered 20-29 and 30-47.

Most of the major construction is occurring in the area of the green lawn that is in the upper right part of the map, near the white-on-red letter H.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #164
dianeschlicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
In the scheme of things, very little of the resort is "hotel" in comparison to what is DVC. If you look at WDRL's post above, you can see how far more of the hotel rooms face the island and fewer face the ocean as compared to DVC rooms.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #165
gatorgirl02
Mouseketeer

Just to add my 2 cents, I was staying on the island side and heard no construction whatsoever. However, when at the spa, you could hear some of the construction noise going on, since it is so quiet by the outside water area, so that was a bit of a drawback. That being said, the spa is absolutely fabulous, so don't skip that one

As for the construction noise in the main area, yes, you can see the construction walls from the beach if you are looking back towards the resort, but frankly, with a great ocean view, why look backwards, lol. Also, there is some noise coming from the area, but as others have said, the kids, ocean and other ambient noises seemed to drown it out.
gatorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: