Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #136
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
Betting the original OP is sorry she ever started this thread.......
No I think it was interesting to read everyone's opinions. I got a lot of perspectives that I had never thought about. Although I do still think that since we were the last flight out of the day, that the ticket agent was just feeling moody. I was literally in and out of the bathroom in about a 5 minute time period. I threw away my 2 year old's clothing because it stunk so bad and I really just did not want to hassle with it.

If everything had not happened so quickly and I had more time to think, I would have taken my four year old with me and tried to leave the luggage with the agent.

I know I overacted but their is a little more to it than that. Last year after moving away from my friends and family, I dealt with some major depressive issues. I was able to get over it and feel like my old self again, but once in a blue moon, something will trigger it. I just get overloaded sometimes trying to juggle everything by myself.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #137
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
I absolutely agree with those who said the reaction should have been "Thank you, situation under control and have a good night" to the SWA Gate Agent, and you move along. However, Mom was juggling hand grenades. She lost her cool, and broke down. We've all been in the OP's shoes at one time or another, reached our limit, and broken down. It doesn't make you weak, it makes you human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
Have you ever even been in an airport with high terrorist security, other than seeing it reported on TV? This is what happens at NYC airports. It's no secret:

The National Guard, especially on the Jewish high holy days and other high terrorist alert days at NY Airports: (Links belong to dmna.ny.gov.)

(I sized this down. Original link: http://dmna.ny.gov/blog/images/12573...2441B-0024.jpg)

The guards above were like one of the National Guards man who approached me.

See the Hudson News in the back left, the tile floor and the escalator? This is at the NYC Port Authority Bus/Subway terminal at 8th Ave. They also get stationed at various subway stations.

These signs below are all part of a CURRENT Department of Homeland Security campaign all around NYC, getting people to be on the look out for SUSPICIOUS EVENTS AND UNATTENDED BAGS, called, "When you see something, SAY something." People don't have to figure out if it is something really suspicious, just call 911 and let THEM figure it out by investigating & interviewing.

Signs in the subways & in trains and at the airports:

Buses:

Bomb sniffing dogs - and YES, I actually HAVE seen the bomb sniffing dogs sniff baggage & packages. Did you think they were just cute dogs for looks with the NYPD and other high profile city police departments?

And on TV commercials here:

So YES, if young children are left alone in an airport here with baggage (and no adults in sight) and someone reports it or thinks it's suspicious, it will get investigated.

Oh and SINCE WHEN??? Since about September 12, 2001.
We aren't talking about NYC, or even Las Vegas, we are talking about Reno. LOL In all the times I've been to Reno (I live a few hours away) I've never seen that at the airport. Granted we don't usually fly but we normally see the airport. And as someone who is pretty familiar with military "conditions" and has been shooting with active duty military (who carry guns for their actual jobs) that's basically how they carry all their guns. I don't because I'm not trained to, but you can bet they do. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
No I think it was interesting to read everyone's opinions. I got a lot of perspectives that I had never thought about. Although I do still think that since we were the last flight out of the day, that the ticket agent was just feeling moody. I was literally in and out of the bathroom in about a 5 minute time period. I threw away my 2 year old's clothing because it stunk so bad and I really just did not want to hassle with it.

If everything had not happened so quickly and I had more time to think, I would have taken my four year old with me and tried to leave the luggage with the agent.

I know I overacted but their is a little more to it than that. Last year after moving away from my friends and family, I dealt with some major depressive issues. I was able to get over it and feel like my old self again, but once in a blue moon, something will trigger it. I just get overloaded sometimes trying to juggle everything by myself.
I really don't think you overreacted that much, some people here just like to berate others. I hope you had a good vacation despite the rudeness of that agent.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #138
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

I also wanted to add that I don't fault the OP for crying. My wife does this when he gets upset, it is a normal response for some people. I do find it very hard to understand why it would effect an entire vacation and as a PP has said, why does it bother you enough to post it on here so long after? How is this even humiliating?

And for all the other people saying that the agent was rude, how do you know this? We're you there? We are just getting the OP side of the story. People do tend to exaggerate when complaining about something.

Last edited by clarkshel; 02-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #139
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
I also wanted to add that I don't fault the OP for crying. My wife does this when he gets upset, it is a normal response for some people. I do find it very hard to understand why it would effect an entire vacation and as a PP has said, why does it bother you enough to post it on here so long after? How is this even humiliating?

And for all the other people saying that the agent was rude, how do you know this? We're you there? We are just getting the OP side of the story. People do tend to exaggerate when complaining about something.
It did not effect the entire vacation. I posted the day after it happened. At the time of posting I was just unhappy that this was how the vacation ended and I did not want to reflect on this more than the fun we had. I am over it now.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #140
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer

It did not effect the entire vacation. I posted the day after it happened. At the time of posting I was just unhappy that this was how the vacation ended and I did not want to reflect on this more than the fun we had. I am over it now.
I can totally understand this-it ended horribly and it was your last memory. I also understand the crying since that is how some people react. However, I don't understand why posters don't get that people react and process things differently. Just because you don't cry and get upset doesn't mean that's the only way to behave. The meanness on this thread and the house for sale thread is over the top even for dis standards.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #141
hellow
Mouseketeer

I agree dogluva. Moderators, I think this thread has served its purpose and should be closed.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #142
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellow View Post
I agree dogluva. Moderators, I think this thread has served its purpose and should be closed.
I think only the OP can request that it be closed, unless we all go overboard with extremely rude attacks on her.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #143
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

I think only the OP can request that it be closed, unless we all go overboard with extremely rude attacks on her.
I am from the north and even I found some of these comments hurtful and cruel.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #144
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post

If it had been me I would have said I was humiliated simply because she made me cry. LOL
And you're right, we don't know, I made the assumption that the agent was rude based the OP. She could very well have just been standing there, but she did ask the kids what the flight info was and called the OP's DH, I really don't know how that was even necessary. BUT I'm not an airline employee so I don't know. The agent may have gone home and told another message board about how rude the OP was. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post
What does being from the North have to do with the comments being hurtful? I'm not being rude, I'm genuinely curious. I too felt some of the comments in this thread were rude and hurtful.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #145
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71

If it had been me I would have said I was humiliated simply because she made me cry. LOL
And you're right, we don't know, I made the assumption that the agent was rude based the OP. She could very well have just been standing there, but she did ask the kids what the flight info was and called the OP's DH, I really don't know how that was even necessary. BUT I'm not an airline employee so I don't know. The agent may have gone home and told another message board about how rude the OP was. lol

What does being from the North have to do with the comments being hurtful? I'm not being rude, I'm genuinely curious. I too felt some of the comments in this thread were rude and hurtful.
Maybe because people generally have the perception that northerners are kind of rude? Maybe.

Me DM DF DSis DB
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #146
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: