Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Xmas week Cruise...Thinking about booking..

If you have sailed during this special week with Disney what special types of things were offered. We are thinking about booking Xmas 2014 on the fantasy and didnt know if the bump in price was worth it.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
If you have sailed during this special week with Disney what special types of things were offered. We are thinking about booking Xmas 2014 on the fantasy and didnt know if the bump in price was worth it.
We have sailed on both Disney and other cruiselines over Christmas and I have to say that as nice as it is on Disney, for the price, I'd go the week before if you can - the decorations are up but the price is better. But there is something magical about being onboard on Christmas, and Santa has a nice little something for the children.

We are cruising over Christmas again this year but on another line for about 1/2 of what DCL wants. We are doing a Western Caribbean on Carnival Dream - we did this same cruise in 2011 and it was so nice and relaxing and restful - we love sailing over the holidays.

Our very first cruise was on DCL in 2005 and we got off the ship on Christmas Eve and the price was about 1/2 of what it would've been if we sailed on Christmas. You do have to consider whether the sailing that includes Christmas day is longer or has different port stops.

FWIW, when we sail over the holidays, that's our gifts - even for the children.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran

We have done four DCL Christmas cruises and one on Royal Caribbean. PP is correct you will pay more for Christmas week than the week before by as much as twice the amount. However, the Christmas cruise is priced just like a cruise during summer break and if you book early enough and with an onboard discount (like we do) you can cut down the difference.

Also, there are specific things they do only for Christmas Week that they don't do on the week before. Here is a list of things we enjoyed during our previous Christmas cruises.. They change each year and by vessel, so they might not all be the same for you.

1. Special tree lighting ceremony on embarkation day. They picked a child out of the crowd to light the tree. Think they called it King Triton's tree lighting ceremony.

2. You will need to get tickets at guest services right away because they go fast, but we really enjoyed the gingerbread house making session.

3. They have all the characters dressed up in Christmas costumes and seem to have more opportunities to take pictures than on regular cruises. (Think they do this on all cruises around the holidays)

4. They have Mrs Claus reading of "The Night Before Christmas".. Here's an old video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhmHJJ1t6Y (Didn't happen last year, but has before)

5. They have a very special menu in the MDRs for Christmas. Last year it was Lobster tail.

6. They normally have a special edition Don "Ducky" Williams print just for the passengers on the Christmas cruise.. along with a couple of smaller gifts.

7. They have Santa and Santa Goofy out on Christmas Day for the kids.

8. They have a Christmas morning spread of cookies, hot chocolate, egg nog, etc in the lobby while waiting to see Santa.

9. They had Christmas religious services for passengers.

10. They had CMs carolling (on our cruise last year this was pretty weak though)
bmer1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

I made this post about our experience:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3025764

We loved it, and are on the NYE Fantasy cruise this year. We would've done the Christmas one the week before, but DH and the kids really wanted the Eastern itinerary. Hoping the NYE is great! It is even more expensive than the Christmas one. Good thing we booked early.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Awesome, thanks for sharing the information. We are crusing in two weeks and most likely are going to be booking this OB, get that extra discount since the cruise is a bit more expensive than the normal during this time of year.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Boos14
Earning My Ears

We just did The FANTASY 2012 Christmas. Loved it. It's a magical time. We have a 9 year old and 13 year old. Who also had a amazing time. There were gifts for them Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. They left a lithograph for the family on Christmas Day. We then got all the characters to sign. The gingerbread making was full but they left us a kit on our door for us to make. The kids loved it. If you are going soon book on board and get the discount as the price will never be better. This was our 2nd Disney Christmas cruise. We have 2014 booked and this time we are bringing our BFF's.
Boos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boos14 View Post
We just did The FANTASY 2012 Christmas. Loved it. It's a magical time. We have a 9 year old and 13 year old. Who also had a amazing time. There were gifts for them Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. They left a lithograph for the family on Christmas Day. We then got all the characters to sign. The gingerbread making was full but they left us a kit on our door for us to make. The kids loved it. If you are going soon book on board and get the discount as the price will never be better. This was our 2nd Disney Christmas cruise. We have 2014 booked and this time we are bringing our BFF's.
Thanks for the info, thats the one we are planning to book. The only downside is we are leaving in two weeks on the fantasy and doing the eastern itinerary and the xmas cruise in 2014 is the same. Not a deal breaker but it would have been nice to maybe do the western that go around.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
We have done four DCL Christmas cruises and one on Royal Caribbean. PP is correct you will pay more for Christmas week than the week before by as much as twice the amount. However, the Christmas cruise is priced just like a cruise during summer break and if you book early enough and with an onboard discount (like we do) you can cut down the difference.

Also, there are specific things they do only for Christmas Week that they don't do on the week before. Here is a list of things we enjoyed during our previous Christmas cruises.. They change each year and by vessel, so they might not all be the same for you.

1. Special tree lighting ceremony on embarkation day. They picked a child out of the crowd to light the tree. Think they called it King Triton's tree lighting ceremony.

2. You will need to get tickets at guest services right away because they go fast, but we really enjoyed the gingerbread house making session.

3. They have all the characters dressed up in Christmas costumes and seem to have more opportunities to take pictures than on regular cruises. (Think they do this on all cruises around the holidays)

4. They have Mrs Claus reading of "The Night Before Christmas".. Here's an old video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhmHJJ1t6Y (Didn't happen last year, but has before)

5. They have a very special menu in the MDRs for Christmas. Last year it was Lobster tail.

6. They normally have a special edition Don "Ducky" Williams print just for the passengers on the Christmas cruise.. along with a couple of smaller gifts.

7. They have Santa and Santa Goofy out on Christmas Day for the kids.

8. They have a Christmas morning spread of cookies, hot chocolate, egg nog, etc in the lobby while waiting to see Santa.

9. They had Christmas religious services for passengers.

10. They had CMs carolling (on our cruise last year this was pretty weak though)
Not trying to discount how special it is to sail over Christmas but several of these activities -- tree lighting, gingerbread house decorating, caroling, characters in Christmas costumes, eggnog and cookies in the atrium -- happen on all the December sailings. There are things that only happen on the Christmas ones -- like the lithograph, Mrs. Claus reading, Santa. Just an FYI for people who might like to save a bit and still get some of the Christmas feel on board the ship.

(IMO, as 2 adults no children, it absolutely is not worth the extra money. Most of the Christmas Day activities are focused solely on the children. Not saying that's wrong, just saying as adults only, we felt excluded from a number of activities that we paid the premium price for too. So we sail the first week or two of December, enjoy the atmosphere and spend the money we saved on another cruise.)
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Not trying to discount how special it is to sail over Christmas but several of these activities -- tree lighting, gingerbread house decorating, caroling, characters in Christmas costumes, eggnog and cookies in the atrium -- happen on all the December sailings. There are things that only happen on the Christmas ones -- like the lithograph, Mrs. Claus reading, Santa. Just an FYI for people who might like to save a bit and still get some of the Christmas feel on board the ship.

(IMO, as 2 adults no children, it absolutely is not worth the extra money. Most of the Christmas Day activities are focused solely on the children. Not saying that's wrong, just saying as adults only, we felt excluded from a number of activities that we paid the premium price for too. So we sail the first week or two of December, enjoy the atmosphere and spend the money we saved on another cruise.)
Thanks for the reply. If we could sail another week before christmas we would but since my wife is a school teacher and the kids are in school this is the only week in decemeber we could sail. Otherwise we would have to wait for summertime cruises or spring break.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
Thanks for the reply. If we could sail another week before christmas we would but since my wife is a school teacher and the kids are in school this is the only week in decemeber we could sail. Otherwise we would have to wait for summertime cruises or spring break.
Me too, we are stuck with Spring Break or holiday time cruises. Summer is usually family vacation with my inlaws- except this summer we are going to Alaska the first week out of school.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

We loved LOVED our Christmas cruise on the Fantasy. Worth every penny. We wanted to cruise for years during that week. It worked out perfectly. I encourage you to go and enjoy. We are a family with a 20 and 14 yr old. We didn't feel left out in the least. We stood in line for Santa and ate Cmas cookies. Enjoyed the gingerbread house making. We took a galley tour. Loved the trees and decorations.

I looked this morning for some of the 1/2 the price cruises on other lines, and the week of Cmas is high dollar for them too. I checked the Carnival Magic and it was MORE than what we paid for our Fantasy Cmas cruise. Wow. I'd stick with Disney and I would go that week.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We loved LOVED our Christmas cruise on the Fantasy. Worth every penny. We wanted to cruise for years during that week. It worked out perfectly. I encourage you to go and enjoy. We are a family with a 20 and 14 yr old. We didn't feel left out in the least. We stood in line for Santa and ate Cmas cookies. Enjoyed the gingerbread house making. We took a galley tour. Loved the trees and decorations.

I looked this morning for some of the 1/2 the price cruises on other lines, and the week of Cmas is high dollar for them too. I checked the Carnival Magic and it was MORE than what we paid for our Fantasy Cmas cruise. Wow. I'd stick with Disney and I would go that week.

SOLD!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Although I would rather go in early December for example, family is set on having our next xmas at WDW and 2014 on DCL.

But Fantasy is out of our league (a verandah is in the 8k range for a family of 4). So we will do a 4night instead. Even with the OBB benefits is way too much. Now, tempted on switching it a 5n on the magic as Dec 25th, 2014 would be on CC.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Michael701x1
Earning My Ears

Just did the Wonder out of Miami this past Christmas. Many special holiday events throughout the cruise including gingerbread house making (free), Christmas Day treat station, special eve gift in stateroom and lots more. It was my first time and I have to say it was special. Something different for the holidays. Def should try it at least once.
Michael701x1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: