Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #91
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post

Do you punish all your children every time *one* does something they should be punished for? If so, I feel for your children. That's exactly what happened here. Do you actually think the *one* student that was guilty got the message?? Because, I sure don't.

Well, first of all, noone was punished here. Its not like they took something away. They were taught a lesson as a group. Whether it was misguided or not, it wasn't a punishment.

I also figure that even although it was one kid snooping, MOST kids enjoyed the rumor and spreading the info this one kid "got". So, in essence, 1 kid might have been guilty of snooping but most were guilty of spreading rumors of information obtained from snooping.

Secondly, Im PARENTING 2 kids, not a teacher of many. I don't expect my kids' teachers to parent, that's my job. What I do expect is that my kids respect and follow classroom rules. I also teach my kids that rules sometimes might be silly, that they might not agree with a rule, but it is a rule. But that said, I have been known to say "I don't care whose fault it is, stop it, or you both are grounded". They have learned to work things out between them.

So, you don't really need to feel for my kids. Though not perfect, and neither am I, they are both incredible independent, strong kids with a good self image. I was going to say self-sufficient but although that goes for DD, 15yr DS can be a complete mess LOL.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #92
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
Well, first of all, noone was punished here. Its not like they took something away. They were taught a lesson as a group. Whether it was misguided or not, it wasn't a punishment.

I also figure that even although it was one kid snooping, MOST kids enjoyed the rumor and spreading the info this one kid "got". So, in essence, 1 kid might have been guilty of snooping but most were guilty of spreading rumors of information obtained from snooping.

Secondly, Im PARENTING 2 kids, not a teacher of many. I don't expect my kids' teachers to parent, that's my job. What I do expect is that my kids respect and follow classroom rules. I also teach my kids that rules sometimes might be silly, that they might not agree with a rule, but it is a rule. But that said, I have been known to say "I don't care whose fault it is, stop it, or you both are grounded". They have learned to work things out between them.

So, you don't really need to feel for my kids. Though not perfect, and neither am I, they are both incredible independent, strong kids with a good self image. I was going to say self-sufficient but although that goes for DD, 15yr DS can be a complete mess LOL.
Oh, yes, she *did* take something away ---- innocence, trust, joy, excitement. There's still a certain amount of innocence at that age. Some, if not most, thought that a Disney trip would soon be theirs. Who says they knew that a snooper had spread these things? After the first or second person told, it would been, "Have you heard that we are going to Disney for our trip". Who would have passed on, oh, so and so snooped and saw that the teacher is looking at Disney brochures, etc. etc.

Anyhow, I feel very strongly about this, and the lying and showing of the video - so wrong from a teacher. I just don't see this as children being weak, just too trusting. That teacher would never have my respect as a teacher again, and I would push for a pretty convincing apology to children and parents and appropriate punishment.

There's been pranks in the schools here by students, and you know what? They are punished for them - no harm was meant - but the punishment was meted out. Teachers that pull *out of control pranks* should not be treated differently - maybe she will learn from it too - never to pull pranks - kind of beneath her level as a teacher (one that teaches others, and by definition expects others to *learn* from her.)

You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree --
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #93
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
If the teachers knew who was doing the snooping, she could have just left something saying this kid wasn't going to pass or that he/she was going to get some kind of fake award--"Class Snooper" maybe?

I don't know, just something that was more driven at the kid that was snooping.

ETA: I don't think this is a life changing event and some day the kids will laugh about it. I just don't like class punishments.
That'd work if they knew who was snooping. Punish that student (or those couple/few). This sounds like the teacher knew there was snooping being done, but not by whom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse
Have you or your children had the opportunity to go to Disney? Well, I didn't, so I would probably have been one of those *gullible children*. Because I would have wanted to do it so bad, that I would have believed my teacher. She actually had the gall to say to a rather timid sounding voice, when asked about the cost of airfare . "Oh, we got some good rates on that".
Where can the teacher/recording be heard, and who did a voice analysis to determine that response was given in a noticeably different tone from her normal speaking voice?
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #94
Emteach
DIS Veteran

I agree it was little much but those kids will get over it. They shouldn't have been snooping, it wasn't their business and it was a lesson learned. It's not like they took a trip away from them, it was not ever happening in the first place.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #95
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

I wonder how people would feel if this were about an office full of people and a rumor about a large bonus instead of a class of children. It is easily the same thing. What is one employee "happened" to see a confidential memo on the bosses desk about large bonus checks going out after a big meeting on Friday and then spread that rumor around the office. We all know that rumors spread pretty fast in an office environment. What if the boss "was trying to teach everyone a lesson" and let the rumors go on and even prepared a powerpoint about how well the company had done this last quarter and how the management wanted to reward the employees for a job well done. And then with the last slide just said something like "Bazinga" from Big Bang Theory or "Gotcha" and announced that profits were down and then handed out some layoff notices. Adults would be fuming. They would feel betrayed. They'd be calling thier unions (if they had one). Someone would most certainly call the press. Some would probably even call their lawyers. And most people would be calling the boss a jerk or worse.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #96
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybaxter View Post
I wonder how people would feel if this were about an office full of people and a rumor about a large bonus instead of a class of children. It is easily the same thing. What is one employee "happened" to see a confidential memo on the bosses desk about large bonus checks going out after a big meeting on Friday and then spread that rumor around the office. We all know that rumors spread pretty fast in an office environment. What if the boss "was trying to teach everyone a lesson" and let the rumors go on and even prepared a powerpoint about how well the company had done this last quarter and how the management wanted to reward the employees for a job well done. And then with the last slide just said something like "Bazinga" from Big Bang Theory or "Gotcha" and announced that profits were down and then handed out some layoff notices. Adults would be fuming. They would feel betrayed. They'd be calling thier unions (if they had one). Someone would most certainly call the press. Some would probably even call their lawyers. And most people would be calling the boss a jerk or worse.
From page 4 of the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I think a better analogy would be...

A coworker sees a memo on a supervisor's desk/computer that everyone is getting a 2 week bonus and tells everyone what he saw. The company has meeting and talks about how sales are through the roof, expenses are down, the company is just raking in the money. As a "Thank you" to the employees for all the hard work they've done, here's a $50 gift card to a restaurant for all employees. Now, would you be disappointed you weren't getting 2 weeks extra pay? Yes. Would you be upset at the company because they didn't give you what you THOUGHT they were going to give you?
I don't think changing from the bonus to the layoff is accurate though. The kids still "get" something, just not as "big" a something as they thought it was.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #97
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybaxter
Someone tried that earlier. The response was the same - if you get sucked in to believing rumors, your problem.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #98
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybaxter View Post
You have the ending wrong. It would be a huge slide show with a final, give yourself a pat on the back and maybe donuts Friday morning as a thank you. They're still being rewarded but not by some big bonus.

Is it just me or does it sound like a big rich neighborhood? Wouldnt most the parents start saying "we can't afford that" from the get go? Passports, flights, the overnight stays... It'd still be hundreds of dollars per student and a mother of twin is distraught? She would've forked over a small fortune. If I told my family my 8th grade trip was to Canada, it would've been a flat out no the moment I said a word about it. I would've been happy to learn it would be on a trip I could go on.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #99
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post
You have the ending wrong. It would be a huge slide show with a final, give yourself a pat on the back and maybe donuts Friday morning as a thank you. They're still being rewarded but not by some big bonus.

Is it just me or does it sound like a big rich neighborhood? Wouldnt most the parents start saying "we can't afford that" from the get go? Passports, flights, the overnight stays... It'd still be hundreds of dollars per student and a mother of twin is distraught? She would've forked over a small fortune. If I told my family my 8th grade trip was to Canada, it would've been a flat out no the moment I said a word about it. I would've been happy to learn it would be on a trip I could go on.
It was *not* a big rich neighborhood.

Just looked a video where the one mother said her son told her it would be $250 ea. and they needed to do a fund raiser. She questioned her son, but he said that's what it was. This was on a Fri. of a long week end. They were told on Tues. that it was all a hoax.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #100
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...orld_trip.html

Some Grade 8 teachers tricked some students into thinking they were going on a trip to Disney. Apparently it was to teach a lesson to some students who were snooping.

To me, it is no big deal. These are Grade 8's. I might feel bad it is they were little kids.

Just wondering what everyone thinks?
I think it's funny and somewhat fitting but then again I was the child whose mother actully did take back all my christmas presents one year because I snooped. I did get other gifts but none of the one's I had asked for and snooped around for and found before they were wrapped.

However I think it's the kids who need to be rebuilding thier teachers trust. I doubt I would have done the slide show because that was a bit much. But leaving the stuff in a drawer then acting like nothing when they announced the bowling would have been totally appropriate. The kids were in the wrong and got a lesson in snooping. I feel bad for any kids who were not part of the snooping network and may have got excited by the slide show only to be let down.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #101
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I think it's funny and somewhat fitting but then again I was the child whose mother actully did take back all my christmas presents one year because I snooped. I did get other gifts but none of the one's I had asked for found before they were wrapped.
And you alone were punished. She didn't return all the presents for all the members of the family.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #102
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I think it was very wrong, what they did.

First, not all children were snooping. Second, it was placed on the teacher's desk, not in a drawer. Who doesn't look on the teacher's desk on occasion? And lastly, they took it way too far. To bring all the kids in for a slide show about the trip they were not going to be taking? Horribly wrong and cruel.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #103
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

As a teacher, these teachers acted with serious bad judgment. We have all had kids who snoop, and we deal with in on an individual basis. End of story.

The climate in this school board is problematic, as the teachers have been withholding extracurricular activities in political protest, so many people are embarassed that they took time to create an elaborate hoax, yet they can't take time to coach basketball or have report card interviews.

As of today, these teachers have been disciplined, but the actual discipline will not be made public, as this was a school board matter, and not a College of Teacher's matter.

As well, the principal delivered an apology to all classrooms, as well as individual students and parents.

These students will not be able to go on a trip to Disney World, as this school board does not allow international trips in elementary school due to insurance liability issues, lack of passports, etc.

The bottom line, is that the teachers acted with serious bad judgment. Mocking, embarassing and insulting children, is not what we are called to do as teachers. These are young kids of 12-13 years old, and at that age, they are very much finding themselves within the larger social community. They have been struggling with this hoax, as it speaks to trust issues with their teachers.

The biggest problem is that to add insult to injury, the teachers showed the entire thing to another class in the school. The teachers acted like bullies, and this is never acceptable.

Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #104
Liberty Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
They should start a rumor that the 2 teachers and 3 student teachers are going to get fired and leave pink slips sitting out on the principals desk...

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #105
Liberty Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I think a better analogy would be...

A coworker sees a memo on a supervisor's desk/computer that everyone is getting a 2 week bonus and tells everyone what he saw. The company has meeting and talks about how sales are through the roof, expenses are down, the company is just raking in the money. As a "Thank you" to the employees for all the hard work they've done, here's a $50 gift card to a restaurant for all employees. Now, would you be disappointed you weren't getting 2 weeks extra pay? Yes. Would you be upset at the company because they didn't give you what you THOUGHT they were going to give you?
If they placed the "bonus info" on purpose, to be seen and if they video taped the employee's reactions when they realized they'd been duped? Yes, I'd be very upset and I'd be looking for another job. And I'd lose all respect for those involved.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: