Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
scoutie
DIS Veteran

This show annoys/amuses me too. I get a kick out of the very young couple who is buying their first house with a shoestring budget and wanting a huge house with all of the bells and whistles. Your budget is $80,000. You're not going to get your dream house.

Equally annoying is when the realtor encourages them to go over their budget. Yes..that's great advice.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #32
chris1gill

But you know I'm thinking (scary enough)

I don't think it's all staged, I have a cousin through marriage who was on the show two years ago.... she was looking for homes on the market, the only thing with her, is that she saw a house she wanted to look at outside her target neighborhood and Sandra didn't really want to show her that house... After a little pushing Sandra brought her to see the house and that's the house she bought. I can't say they didn't edit the show (they did) but each property was an actual property for sale and she was an actual buyer who then married my cousin shortly thereafter.
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #33
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1gill View Post
I don't think it's all staged, I have a cousin through marriage who was on the show two years ago.... she was looking for homes on the market, the only thing with her, is that she saw a house she wanted to look at outside her target neighborhood and Sandra didn't really want to show her that house... After a little pushing Sandra brought her to see the house and that's the house she bought. I can't say they didn't edit the show (they did) but each property was an actual property for sale and she was an actual buyer who then married my cousin shortly thereafter.
That's Property Virgins, not House Hunters.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
Kimberle
WL Vet

I like the show, because I like seeing the houses, especially the international shows. However, I don't believe they are "real" (like most other "reality shows".)

A couple years ago, we went to Tahiti. Since then, I get emails trying to "temp" us back. A couple weeks ago, I got an email from a luxury home vacational rental vendor. They said, watch House Hunters on xxx, they are featuring 3 of our homes! They attached lots of pictures of the homes. I watched, and sure enough, a LA couple was moving to Moorea. The 3 homes they were choosing from were the exact 3 homes from my email. At the end, they "bought" one of the homes.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

I'd quit my job in a second to be a SAHM to our pets! Lol ok, I'd also spend my day working for our bulldog rescue organization and volunteering for hospice, but yep, in a second if we could afford it.

Count me in as someone who starts screaming at the tv over the spoiled brats on that show. "no granite, no walkin closet? I simply cannot live here." funny, I've lived without those things all my life and I don't feel deprived. I don't wallow in self pity over the lack of granite in my life.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
I'd quit my job in a second to be a SAHM to our pets! Lol ok, I'd also spend my day working for our bulldog rescue organization and volunteering for hospice, but yep, in a second if we could afford it.

Count me in as someone who starts screaming at the tv over the spoiled brats on that show. "no granite, no walkin closet? I simply cannot live here." funny, I've lived without those things all my life and I don't feel deprived. I don't wallow in self pity over the lack of granite in my life.
I doubt the people on HH do either. It's stages and they are told to say that.That's why they all say it.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #37
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Some of my favorite buyer complaints are:

Ooo. The paint color!
Ooo. We'll have to replace those rugs! (Sometimes the rugs are brand new but unappealing to buyer, sometimes the rugs are worn and soiled. What's a seller to do?)
Ooo. Laminate counters!
Ooo. Walk-in closet, but it's too small!
Ooo. Only ONE walk-in closet in the Master BR!
Ooo. This $80,000 house won't fit our California King!
Ooo. The Master shower is in a gold frame! The tub has no Jets! There is only one sink! I don't like all those Mirrors!
Ooo. The basement of this $100,000 house hasn't been upgraded!
Ooo. There's no Fridge! Or, there's a Fridge but it's not stainless. Or, it's not side-by-side, or it's not French Door.

In most cases above these homes have "the right things wrong." These are things that are deducted from the selling price, but cost little to upgrade and can mostly be done by the new homeowners. If you buy a home with these faults, for a few bucks you gain lots of equity. It's a no-brainer - especially if the house is in the right neighborhood, right school district, etc.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #38
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

I'm going to start a drinking game.

Drink everytime a couple looks at a walk-in closet and the wife says to her husband, "but where are you going to put your clothes?"

Drink every time a couple walks into a kitchen and someone says "I can just picture myself cooking here."

Drink every time a couple says a space would be perfect for entertaining or dinner parties.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #39
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post

Drink everytime a couple looks at a walk-in closet and the wife says to her husband, "but where are you going to put your clothes?"

Drink every time a couple walks into a kitchen and someone says "I can just picture myself cooking here."

Drink every time a couple says a space would be perfect for entertaining or dinner parties.
I'll add one: Drink every time a couple walks into a kitchen and someone says, "I hate this kitchen. But I don't cook."
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #40
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I was watching one a couple weeks ago where this couple and their young child were searching for a house. They had a fairly big budget, she didn't work. He wanted to be on the north side of town, close to work. She wanted to be on the south side of town, so she could be closer to her sister. The looked at three gorgeous homes... one where he could see his work, one right in the middle of the two, and one close to her sister. She kept whining, saying "but we're so far from my sister" and you can guess what house they bought. He was going to drive 1.5 hours each way to work, so she could stay home and play with her sister. Ugh, I wanted to smack her.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #41
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Let's add in all those couples who absolutely cannot abide a bathroom without a double vanity... how on earth will they both get ready for work??

I'll type reallllllyyyyyy slowly in case any of them are reading: You take turns!!! One person gets up a little earlier and gets ready. Then, when the first person is done, there's all that room for the second person.

I love the show; I love looking at all the homes and at what's typical where. But the people on the show are enough to drive you to drink!

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
emer95
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'll add one more:

"This is a great space for entertaining."

Or any use of the word "space." I'd be drunk in 5 minutes!

There was one show where a woman HATED toilet paper holders attached to the wall, and she also hated houses that had a lot of electrical outlets. Aren't those a good thing?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #43
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95

I'll add one more:

"This is a great space for entertaining."

Or any use of the word "space." I'd be drunk in 5 minutes!

There was one show where a woman HATED toilet paper holders attached to the wall, and she also hated houses that had a lot of electrical outlets. Aren't those a good thing?
I've also seen an episode where the woman hates a formal dinning room. Seriously? Can she just use it for some other purpose?
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #44
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Shows like this have ruined the housing market. Buyers have unrealistic expectations. I built a home eight years ago and we were transferred five years later. I was so frustrated by potential buyers telling me the fixtures were dated, etc. the family that ended up buying the house didn't like my black granite counters and replaced them with a different color! Such waste! We had stainless appliances, but they replaced them with a more upscale brand.

Very frustrating!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #45
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emer95 View Post
I'm watching it too. What a nutter! She also gasps with horror when a horse drawn carriage goes by.

They must have buckets of cash. $500,000 for a vacation home, and she doesn't even work? Wow!
She may be a nutter, but they have done something right. Good for them.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: