Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #76
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.
ITA and of course as usual this thread most likely will turn into a bash the teacher thread (am not reading past this post).
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #77
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

Bravo to the teacher! Please these lids are 14 not 6
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #78
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey

The teachers knew the rumor had spread and then topped off the week with the trick slide show. I am not one to coddle my kids, but I see no reason to set up the entire class for such a disappointment to get revenge on the one snooper.
It is just too passive aggressive, IMO.

Deal with the person and issue. A better lesson in dealing with people imo
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #79
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360

ITA and of course as usual this thread most likely will turn into a bash the teacher thread (am not reading past this post).
Is it bashing to disagree with a method if dealing with behavior? That seems a bit of a stretch.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #80
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I have a feeling that more "heartfelt" apologies will be issued soon, as this story is starting to get some play.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/cana...109/story.html

A quote by parent from the article:

He said part of his weekend was spent convincing his three children that “this is not the norm” and that teachers, as authority figures, should continue to be respected and trusted.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #81
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
Only if the shoe fits

In our home we taught our children to respect their teachers. This teacher(s) does not deserve to be respected anymore. She needs to grow up and be taught how to meet out appropriate punishment, and to whom. She is an adult role model for this year (time) in these children's lives, and she needs to learn how to act like one.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #82
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I dislike group punishment but I tell my kids to suck it up because there is not much they can do about it. Group punishment doesn't work or it wouldn't have to be practiced over and over again, and it is. The offenders don't learn a thing and it does not change any behavior. It is a lazy way of trying to instill discipline instead of dealing directly with the problem.
In your opinion. One could argue that single punishments don't work either, otherwise there would no need to use them over and over again on certain individuals.

I'm in the suck it up buttercups camp. These kids are in 8th grade, big deal that they were disappointed, they'll get over it. Of course the fact that they have parents who are making it into a big deal is why these fragile kids cant.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #83
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Okay, I've skimmed through most of the thread and I think I got most of the issue.

My problem is the teachers seemed to be having an issue with a few students violating the privacy of the teachers' desks. What they did accomplished nothing toward addressing the real problem. They should have spent their time trying to discover who was going into desk drawers where students aren't allowed and then putting a stop to that behavior.

I really wouldn't care if my child was disappointed with a fake school trip, but
the whole "Well we'll just trick the whole 8th grade class" was just a huge detour into an immature and pointless neener, neener, neener kind of act by the teachers that did nothing to address or stop the problem they were having.

Teachers are supposed to be MORE MATURE than their students. They are Not supposed to run around stooping to trying to one up the tricks of a pack of 13 year old boys.

So next month when somebody decides to go snooping for grade records or the next math test, are they going to stop out of fear that the Math teacher might play another misleading slide show to the whole class?

And if that makes me a "teacher basher" then so be it.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #84
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

I have been teaching high school freshmen (only one year older than these kids) for 21 years. I would never disrespect my students in this manner nor do I tolerate disrespectful behavior between students in my class. If I was worried that kids might see something on my desk that I didn't want them to see, I would put it away or lock it up. Better yet, I would discuss the problem with them and ask them to stop doing it. I would spell out clear consequences for the behavior and enforce the consequences...without disappointing or humiliating the entire group, many who would kill to travel to Disney World. I can't imagine what the atmosphere in my class would be like for the remainder of the year if I did something like this. Who would want to listen to me? Who would see me as a role model?
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #85
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Okay, I've skimmed through most of the thread and I think I got most of the issue.

My problem is the teachers seemed to be having an issue with a few students violating the privacy of the teachers' desks. What they did accomplished nothing toward addressing the real problem. They should have spent their time trying to discover who was going into desk drawers where students aren't allowed and then putting a stop to that behavior.

I really wouldn't care if my child was disappointed with a fake school trip, but
the whole "Well we'll just trick the whole 8th grade class" was just a huge detour into an immature and pointless neener, neener, neener kind of act by the teachers that did nothing to address or stop the problem they were having.

Teachers are supposed to be MORE MATURE than their students. They are Not supposed to run around stooping to trying to one up the tricks of a pack of 13 year old boys.

So next month when somebody decides to go snooping for grade records or the next math test, are they going to stop out of fear that the Math teacher might play another misleading slide show to the whole class?

And if that makes me a "teacher basher" then so be it.
I took it more along the lines of , listen kids, this is what can happen when you snoop and spread rumors based on that. Not a neener, neener thing, not a revenge thing.

Snoop, spread rumors = unintended consequences.

You know, with 13/14 year olds, sometimes you have to SHOW them what can happen .

But even if it were, I still don't get the whole "emotional damage" "bullying" cries.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #86
Fortuosity
That's me byword

The 8th grade class really believed they were going to Disney? Awfully gullible teenagers, IMO.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #87
timmac
DIS Veteran

I don't think this goes as far as outrage, by any means, but I don't think it was really proper, either. Clearly, whatever teachable moment could have come from this was lost long ago. Though I am all for a good joke, and I love a well planned prank, there's something a bit unsettling for me when there's such a clear power divide between those performing said prank, and those on the receiving end.

I also tend to agree that if the form and brochures were sitting on a desk in plain view (which we don't know for sure I don't think), then it's not really such a matter of snooping. Sounds like both sides are probably being a bit over dramatic in the whole thing.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #88
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
I took it more along the lines of , listen kids, this is what can happen when you snoop and spread rumors based on that. Not a neener, neener thing, not a revenge thing.

I've already posted previously in the thread that I would be "annoyed," but not "outraged" if this happened to my kid. However, I do think it was mean and inappropriate.

I wouldn't be upset about the fake permission slip on the teacher's desk. (Nobody should have been snooping.)

I wouldn't have been upset if disappointment had been a "natural consequence" of believing the snooper's rumor. (If the teacher had said "No, sorry, the class trip is to Windsor, not Orlando.")

But I think the teacher feeding the rumor with details during the slide presentation (which the article in the OP indicates the teacher did), then saying "Ha! Ha! Gotcha!" is pretty mean. Especially because I would bet there were a lot of kids who either didn't hear, or didn't believe, the rumor before they got to the video presentation. But if they heard the teacher "confirming the rumor," then they'd start to believe it.

Again, I wouldn't call for the teacher to be fired. And I wouldn't expect my child to be traumatized for life. But I do think it was mean, and inappropriate, if the teachers appeared to confirm the rumor then had a "gotcha moment" at the kids' expense.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #89
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuosity View Post
The 8th grade class really believed they were going to Disney? Awfully gullible teenagers, IMO.
A lot of schools do a big trip at the end of 8th grade.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #90
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
I have been teaching high school freshmen (only one year older than these kids) for 21 years. I would never disrespect my students in this manner nor do I tolerate disrespectful behavior between students in my class. If I was worried that kids might see something on my desk that I didn't want them to see, I would put it away or lock it up. Better yet, I would discuss the problem with them and ask them to stop doing it. I would spell out clear consequences for the behavior and enforce the consequences...without disappointing or humiliating the entire group, many who would kill to travel to Disney World. I can't imagine what the atmosphere in my class would be like for the remainder of the year if I did something like this. Who would want to listen to me? Who would see me as a role model?
Thank you! I'm so glad to see this from a teacher's perspective that realizes what the relationship between teacher and student should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post

You know, with 13/14 year olds, sometimes you have to SHOW them what can happen .

But even if it were, I still don't get the whole "emotional damage" "bullying" cries.
Do you punish all your children every time *one* does something they should be punished for? If so, I feel for your children. That's exactly what happened here. Do you actually think the *one* student that was guilty got the message?? Because, I sure don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuosity View Post
Have you or your children had the opportunity to go to Disney? Well, I didn't, so I would probably have been one of those *gullible children*. Because I would have wanted to do it so bad, that I would have believed my teacher. She actually had the gall to say to a rather timid sounding voice, when asked about the cost of airfare . "Oh, we got some good rates on that".

That's why I'm still fuming, and it's a good thing I'm not up there because I would be right in the middle of wondering how this teacher could *ever* be a role model, and a respected teacher for my child again. It's "I can lie", but you can't.

From what's going on there, I'm certainly far from the only one that is extremely upset by her actions.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: