Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Food allergies at La Hacienda, San Angel and Boma - which would you choose?

Hi - We are very familiar with dining with a food allergy in Disney, as we have a family member with a peanut allergy. We need to add one more ADR, so wondering what you would choose? We usually stick to Disney-owned restaurants, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with food allergies at La Hacienda and San Angel? We would love to eat here if they approach allergies in the same way the Disney-owned restaurants do.

Also, saw that Boma has a few items with peanuts in it at the buffet. Has anyone with peanut allergies had them prepare a plate in the back to avoid cross contamination issues? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Last edited by 333disneymom; 03-18-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added info.
333disneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

I just updated my question and was wondering if anyone had any input? Thanks.

Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

I would not go to San Angel. A couple of years ago I ate there and I have a severe avocado allergy. I told this to the chef before we ordered. He said no problem. Then he brought me a green salsa for my chips since the regular salsa wasn't safe. Just as I was about to dip my chip in, I noticed that it looked too green, like avocado green. The chef came out again and I asked if it had avocado in it and it did! After that I was too freaked to even eat my meal and the chef hovered around my table the entire time to make sure I was ok. If I'd have eaten that, I'd have been rushing to bathroom and retching like crazy and then had my throat close up. So I do not recommend this place for allergies.

I've read that the World Showcase restaurants are not owned by Disney and therefore might have slightly different standards regarding allergies. Having said that, I have eaten with success at Coral Reef and Akershus.

Boma is fantastic, we've eaten there several times. Along with my avocado and gluten allergy, my DD has a tree nut allergy as well and she was able to eat here safely.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
cynzilla
Syringomyelia.....not just a disease, but an adventure!

San Angel

I also had problems at San Angel.

I have a dairy allergy and told the waitress. She kindly got the chef and I explained that I am ALLERGIC, not lactose intolerant. My app came out covered in a cream sauce, I sent it back, it came out again ( I swear the same plate). The entree came out and I remember him saying he was going to exclude the item that contained milk and there it was!! I sent it back and tried it again, this time it came out with a bigger helping.

I let the rest of my party eat and I had chips and salsa on the table at that point. I didn't feel comfortable eating anything else. I think it was a language barrier with the staff in the kitchen.

I think EPCOT (minus the Garden Grill and Asker haus, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, and Coral Reef) for sit downs, I find challenging with an allergy, so please be careful!
cynzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
antree
DIS Veteran

My son has a peanut and tree nut allergy. We always eat at, Tutto Italia Ristorante, Rose and Crown, Coral Reef, and Le Cellier without any issues. I personally wouldn't do Chinese, Mexican or African food with my son. I have heard mixed reviews about Boma, so just be careful.
antree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Boma definitely - they will work with you!

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Like you, we stick with Disney owned restaurants so I'd choose Boma hands down. The allergy reviews I've read have been glowing so I really want to try it but we use Disney transportation exclusively and I won't travel to another resort for dining unless we're staying at a monorail resort and the ADR's at another monorail resort or we're staying at a Crescent Lake resort and the ADR's at another Crescent Lake resort. One of these years we'll stay at AKL or AKV and I'll try all of the restaurants there. One of these years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
I've read that the World Showcase restaurants are not owned by Disney and therefore might have slightly different standards regarding allergies. Having said that, I have eaten with success at Coral Reef and Akershus.
Coral Reef and Akershus are owned and operated by Disney. So are Garden Grill, Rose & Crowne and LeCellier.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Boma has been great with both me and my daughter when it comes to allergies. She is peanut and shellfish allergic and I am dairy, mango, cashew and shellfish.
La Hacienda has also been good. San Angelo not so much

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Boma.

As far as the Mexican places go, I think it depends on the allergy. It's like if you are gluten free you should probably be skeptical about a place centered on gluten, I look at the Mexican place and wouldn't even consider it if you are watching for dairy, corn, avocado, cilantro, tomato... any of their main ingredients. San Angel's reviews scare me off, but you might want to contact special diets and find out if they have any peanut products on the menu anyways. If they aren't using peanut oil and it's not an ingredient in anything I would consider that safe.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback. I think we will definitely avoid San Angel, but might give Boma a try.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses
I would not go to San Angel. A couple of years ago I ate there and I have a severe avocado allergy. I told this to the chef before we ordered. He said no problem. Then he brought me a green salsa for my chips since the regular salsa wasn't safe. Just as I was about to dip my chip in, I noticed that it looked too green, like avocado green. The chef came out again and I asked if it had avocado in it and it did! After that I was too freaked to even eat my meal and the chef hovered around my table the entire time to make sure I was ok. If I'd have eaten that, I'd have been rushing to bathroom and retching like crazy and then had my throat close up. So I do not recommend this place for allergies.

Boma is fantastic, we've eaten there several times. Along with my avocado and gluten allergy, my DD has a tree nut allergy as well and she was able to eat here safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynzilla
I also had problems at San Angel.

I have a dairy allergy and told the waitress. She kindly got the chef and I explained that I am ALLERGIC, not lactose intolerant. My app came out covered in a cream sauce, I sent it back, it came out again ( I swear the same plate). The entree came out and I remember him saying he was going to exclude the item that contained milk and there it was!! I sent it back and tried it again, this time it came out with a bigger helping.

I let the rest of my party eat and I had chips and salsa on the table at that point. I didn't feel comfortable eating anything else. I think it was a language barrier with the staff in the kitchen.

I think EPCOT (minus the Garden Grill and Asker haus, Rose and Crown, Le Cellier, and Coral Reef) for sit downs, I find challenging with an allergy, so please be careful!
Sorry you had bad experiences here. Thanks for letting me know though.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch
Like you, we stick with Disney owned restaurants so I'd choose Boma hands down. The allergy reviews I've read have been glowing so I really want to try it but we use Disney transportation exclusively and I won't travel to another resort for dining unless we're staying at a monorail resort and the ADR's at another monorail resort or we're staying at a Crescent Lake resort and the ADR's at another Crescent Lake resort. One of these years we'll stay at AKL or AKV and I'll try all of the restaurants there. One of these years.....

Coral Reef and Akershus are owned and operated by Disney. So are Garden Grill, Rose & Crowne and LeCellier.
We are the same way. The only resorts we eat at are the ones close by where we are staying. This August we have our first AKV stay, which is why we considered Boma.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333disneymom View Post
We are the same way. The only resorts we eat at are the ones close by where we are staying. This August we have our first AKV stay, which is why we considered Boma.

If you're staying at AKV, how can you NOT eat at Boma? When I finally stay at AKL or AKV, I'm eating at all 3 TS restaurants, probably multiple meals at each (have to try breakfast and lunch or dinner at each that offers them). I consider dining to be part of my resort experience when I stay at a deluxe resort.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch

If you're staying at AKV, how can you NOT eat at Boma? When I finally stay at AKL or AKV, I'm eating at all 3 TS restaurants, probably multiple meals at each (have to try breakfast and lunch or dinner at each that offers them). I consider dining to be part of my resort experience when I stay at a deluxe resort.
I like your thinking. We actually already have a breakfast planned at Boma and a dinner at Sanaa. Just didn't know about Boma dinner. Sounds like lots of people have had good experiences there, so we are going to try it.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 AM   #15
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

DD12 is allergic to dairy, eggs, tree nuts and peanuts. We have had good experiences in multiple trips to Sanaa, Jiko and Boma. I was worried about Boma also, but she was able to find safe food to eat.
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: