Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I love what Disney had done with Marvel! I wish Comcast would just sell the rights to the Avengers. I don't see the real point in hanging on to it. I wish Disney could buy Comcast!!!
Disney Co. has total assets of ~ $75 billion while Comcast has ~ $160 billion. That's why Comcast moving in so aggressively against Disney on the theme park industry is a real threat, they have the money to outbid Disney on rights for stories, characters, technologies, effects, etc. But unfortunately, Disney can't make this all end by just buying out Comcast, they don't have enough $. Disney is just going to have to try and be smart and act quick on securing exclusive licensing for the next "Harry Potter" type series or the next "KUKA arm" type ride technology or effects before Universal snags it up (which could literally come from anywhere!).

From following the actions and statement of both Comcast and Disney in the last few years, I'm not even sure Disney knows how much of a war Comcast is in with them. Or they are trying to downplay it, not give it attention. It's interesting that there is a theme park war occurring in Russia with multiple theme parks and billions of dollars and Disney is not even one of the companies involved.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
rag10576
Earning My Ears

If I recall Universal has to upkeep the Marvel attractions any type of new attractions must be approved. I highly doubt Disney will approve any new attractions . Disney must be making a killing on the deal.
rag10576 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePlace
From following the actions and statement of both Comcast and Disney in the last few years, I'm not even sure Disney knows how much of a war Comcast is in with them. Or they are trying to downplay it, not give it attention. It's interesting that there is a theme park war occurring in Russia with multiple theme parks and billions of dollars and Disney is not even one of the companies involved.
i can't imagine a scenario where Disney would ever be interested in building a park in Russia.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag10576 View Post
If I recall Universal has to upkeep the Marvel attractions any type of new attractions must be approved. I highly doubt Disney will approve any new attractions . Disney must be making a killing on the deal.
IOA would have to replace something - I don't think they can expand with what they have right now. And if Disney were to disapprove of something just because they don't want to approve it, or call Universal out on the maintenance clause, all that might result in is a lot of money paid to lawyers. The exact details of those clauses aren't known.

Plus, if Disney is "making a killing on the deal" - and they are obviously making money without doing a thing as it is...why would they not want to continue as-is?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
SpacePlace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
i can't imagine a scenario where Disney would ever be interested in building a park in Russia.
Maybe under the condition that makes money.
SpacePlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #21
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Disney wouldn't build the park. They'd license a Russian company to build and administer it, and collect the license fees and a share of the profits.

And of course, only if they thought it would work.

Pretty much what they did in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore. I think DLP was a similar arrangement but I want to say that Disney took over that one.

Wasn't there a knockoff "Disneyland" being built in Russia that suddenly stopped construction?
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
IOA would have to replace something - I don't think they can expand with what they have right now. And if Disney were to disapprove of something just because they don't want to approve it, or call Universal out on the maintenance clause, all that might result in is a lot of money paid to lawyers. The exact details of those clauses aren't known.

Plus, if Disney is "making a killing on the deal" - and they are obviously making money without doing a thing as it is...why would they not want to continue as-is?
Simply "calling them out on maintenance" would not be enough since the contract says that if Disney/Marvel finds and issue they have to notify Universal and give them the opportunity to resolve it.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Simply "calling them out on maintenance" would not be enough since the contract says that if Disney/Marvel finds and issue they have to notify Universal and give them the opportunity to resolve it.
I was oversimplifying - didn't think I needed to get to all the gory details. Because then it's whether Universal could resolve it to Disney's satisfaction, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
rag10576
Earning My Ears

So does that mean Disney has the right to monitor the area on a regular basis?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

Disney wouldn't build the park. They'd license a Russian company to build and administer it, and collect the license fees and a share of the profits.

And of course, only if they thought it would work.

Pretty much what they did in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore. I think DLP was a similar arrangement but I want to say that Disney took over that one.

Wasn't there a knockoff "Disneyland" being built in Russia that suddenly stopped construction?
It was in China, not Russia.

The problem with Russia is that the political, economic, and legal environment isn't set. There's no guarantee that any plans wouldn't turn seriously bad.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
It was in China, not Russia.
Hmm...maybe that's the one I'm thinking of, but for some reason I've got a different picture in mind than they ones I'm finding for that one.

Quote:
The problem with Russia is that the political, economic, and legal environment isn't set. There's no guarantee that any plans wouldn't turn seriously bad.
And thus, my "only if it would work" clause.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
rag10576
Earning My Ears

How do you all feel about the marvel section a universal? I definately feel more could and should be done. Time for more attractions. I just dont see disney allowing it.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #28
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
How do you all feel about the marvel section a universal? I definately feel more could and should be done. Time for more attractions. I just dont see disney allowing it.
Where would these attractions go? There's no room to expand that area.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
rag10576
Earning My Ears

Thats the problem. How can the Marvel brand grow and become succesful in the theme park without any growth? This could actually hurt the brand in the long run when there is no room fir growth and I dont see Uni really wanting to do so.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #30
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Thats the problem. How can the Marvel brand grow and become succesful in the theme park without any growth? This could actually hurt the brand in the long run when there is no room fir growth and I dont see Uni really wanting to do so.
Disney hasn't hurt the Star Wars brand by only have the one ride, JTA and the occasional Star Wars Weekends any. And now they own it. I don't think there is any danger of "hurting the brand". Even still, the brand does not belong to Universal at all. If the brand goes south, re-theme. It's not Universal's responsibility to grow the brand.

They simply do not have the ability to expand without end. And they have a much more profitable brand to exploit right now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: