Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #931
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
For any fellow Sophie Kinsella fans, have you read "The Undomestic Goddess"? I read it last year, and it was the funniest book I ever read. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book".
Yes! I read that book years ago and I still remember the "curtsy" scene. I fell off my couch laughing at that one.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #932
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I finished summer promise onto a Whisper and a wish
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #933
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans

I like it alot! It's one of those series that you read through fast b/c you want to know what happens, then you're sad b/c you finished it all. Some parts are repetitive when they remind you of previous situations, but you find that in most YA books. I just skip those parts.
Yeah I got through the first book very fast. The second book I started back in December had hoped to finish it fast like the first book. But I ended up getting sick with the flu so had to return the book. Restarted the second book last month. Just started the sixth book the other day.

Every time I finished one book in the series I couldn't wait to start the next book. Plus the books are full of surprises when you are reading them. I hate when books do that. I wish that their were more after the sixth book to read.

2014 Reading Challenge: 42 out of 50 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #934
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom
For any fellow Sophie Kinsella fans, have you read "The Undomestic Goddess"? I read it last year, and it was the funniest book I ever read. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book".
I read that book early last year. I did laugh read some parts of the book. Sophie Kinsella books are ones that you can reread again and again I think.

2014 Reading Challenge: 42 out of 50 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #935
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkiya View Post
I just read the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. The common themes were "inspirational and full of wisdom". I've added it among the top of my must reads. Thanks for listing it.
It really was an amazing read! I feel really guilty now, when I think certain things will be too hard to accomplish! If an 80 year old man can learn to read, I should be able to do anything!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #936
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 52 books this year.

I could cry. I typed out a whole review of my last read, and somehow it got lost in a black hole of the intertubes! So I'll try again.

#14- down and done.

The World According to Clarkson Volume 4: How Hard Can It Be? by Jeremy Clarkson is a series of essays written by Clarkson, who is also the lead presenter for the British TV show Top Gear, for the British newspaper The Sunday Mail.

Clarkson is hysterically funny, totally irreverent, and so variable in his views that you never know where he stands on an issue until you read his not-so-logical-but-completely understandable essay on the issue. He covers everything from trade unions to football hooligans to British politicians and celebrities. It helps to know a little about British politicans and celebrities to understand some of his jibes and tirades, but I do know just enough to enjoy the essays. DD#2 is a HUGE Clarkson fan, so I'll definitely borrow the rest of his books from her.

I've started book #15, Proof of Guilt by Charles Todd, another one of my favorite authors. I expect that I'll finish it this weekend.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #937
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

So finished book 3 which was summer promise now on to book four a whisper and a wish not to bad not to great either
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #938
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

21 of 75

Alone by Lisa Gardner

From Goodreads: Alone . . . Massachusetts State Trooper Bobby Dodge watches a tense hostage standoff unfold through the scope of his sniper rifle. Just across the street, in wealthy Back Bay, Boston, an armed man has barricaded himself with his wife and child. The mans finger tightens on the trigger and Dodge has only a split second to react . . . and forever pay the consequences.

This book was GOOD! It told the story of the sniper above, the hostage wife and another integral character. Each had background stories that lead to the conclusion with many twists and turns.

This is the first of the DD warren series.

Dang these series! I keep getting involved and have to read the whole series! I'm into about 5 of them now.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #939
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
So finished book 3 which was summer promise now on to book four a whisper and a wish not to bad not to great either
From amazon a 14 year old stays with aunt and uncle and meets what she hopes to be the man of her dreams.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #940
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

OK! i lost count of what I really read so I figured it was time for another list of all the books I read: so my total is 29!

outcome
never sit in a exit row
how to date a werewolf
getto cop: rookie
falling for her captian

dead case in deadwood
dirty martini
peshtigo
my move from hell
stories from the phyc ward

scuse me while I kill this guy
undercover
a broken system
101 tips for travling with a vampire
the little piggy went to the liquor store

never sit in an exit row
afraid
trama junkie
trauma junkie hypodermic nightmare
trauma junkie blackout blues

the two ply times
life lessons from my cat
living for nearly dang ever with that dog
blood sweat and tea
in too deep

Bloody mary
wiskey sour
trauma junkie 4
dirty martini
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #941
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Finished book #10- The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is the 3rd book in the series. Still fast paced & exciting w/more types of beasts & creatures to battle or fight along side with.

Nicholas Flamel's heart almost broke as he watched his beloved Paris crumble before him. The city was destroyed by Dee and Machiavelli, but Flamel played his own role in the destruction. Sophie and Josh Newman show every sign of being the twins of prophecy, and Flamel had to protect them and the pages from the Dark Elders.

But Nicholas grows weaker with each passing day. Perenelle is still trapped in Alcatraz, and now that Scatty has gone missing, the group is without protection. Except for Clarentthe twin sword to Excalibur. But Clarents power is unthinkable, its evil making it nearly impossible to use without its darkness seeping into the soul of whoever wields it.

If he hopes to defeat Dee, Nicholas must find an Elder who can teach Josh and Sophie the third elemental magicWater Magic. The problem? The only one who can do that is Gilgamesh, and he is quite, quite insane.

Next is book 4 of this series: The Necromancer

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #942
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Finished #5: The Passage

Amazon Best Books of the Month, June 2010: You don't have to be a fan of vampire fiction to be enthralled by The Passage, Justin Cronin's blazing new novel. Cronin is a remarkable storyteller (just ask adoring fans of his award-winning Mary and O'Neil), whose gorgeous writing brings depth and vitality to this ambitious epic about a virus that nearly destroys the world, and a six-year-old girl who holds the key to bringing it back. The Passage takes readers on a journey from the early days of the virus to the aftermath of the destruction, where packs of hungry infected scour the razed, charred cities looking for food, and the survivors eke out a bleak, brutal existence shadowed by fear. Cronin doesn't shy away from identifying his "virals" as vampires. But, these are not sexy, angsty vampires (you won’t be seeing "Team Babcock" t-shirts any time soon), and they are not old-school, evil Nosferatus, either. These are a creation all Cronin's own--hairless, insectile, glow-in-the-dark mutations who are inextricably linked to their makers and the one girl who could destroy them all. A huge departure from Cronin's first two novels, The Passage is a grand mashup of literary and supernatural, a stunning beginning to a trilogy that is sure to dazzle readers of both genres. --Daphne Durham

At first, I was just reading thisbecause it was for my book group, but about 200 pages in, I started really caring about the characters. It is not a book to read if you don't like gore or are looking for fairytale endings. I definitely plan on reading the next book in the planned trilogy.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #943
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

Is it too late to join? I have a reading goal of 50 books on Goodreads. I've read 12 books so far this year, most recently Fireblood by Jeff Wheeler.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #944
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

22 of 75

Private Berlin by James Patterson

Private is a Investigation firm with offices around the world; this one in Berlin. One of their agents is missing and they strive to find him ending up becoming involved in something far deeper than they could imagine.

I like this the best of the Private books so far.

Now I need to do something that is not a murder/thriller.
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #945
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Book Description of summer promise

From a Wisconsin farm to a California beach, from a measly allowance to unlimited shopping sprees, from an uncomplicated life to a highly sophisticated one. These are the head-spinning changes that lead to Christy Miller's...

Summer Promise

As 14-year-old Christy leaves her family's Wisconisn farm to spend the summer at her wealthy aunt and uncle's beach home in Newport, she realizes this could be the best season of her life. She's full of hope that surfer Todd will like her; the beach crowd will accept her; and she can become like her gorgeous new friend, Alissa.

But the summer doesn't unfold as Christy hoped; she discovers this season also holds heartache. Todd wavers between Christy and another girl; 16-year-old Shawn dies in a drug-related surfing accident-and the police want to know how Christy was involved; Alissa discloses that her sophistication hides a painful past.

Through it all, will Christy keep her promise to her parents not to do anything she'll regret? Or will she do anything to get Todd, to be accepted, to force her summer to give her everything it promised?

Wanted to add the above is from amazon.com

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 02-25-2013 at 12:07 AM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: