Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
Izzieheartscindy
Mouseketeer

Ok, I am now crying!!

I say go! Rent the scooter and use it as much as you need it. Maybe you only need it to cross the park when going the long distance but can walk from PP to IASM. Or maybe you need it for every minute but at least if you have it then you don't need to worry about it.

Have a great trip!!

Izzieheartscindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

If you're crazy then I am, too! Last year my sisters & I took our mother for her 80th birthday. I have arthritis in my knees, especially my right knee. We managed to make it through by taking rests.

However, that trip made me realize that I was too young to be limping through the parks. I'm only a few years older than you but I had the total knee replacement back in January and I'm completely ready to go to the parks. Getting the knee replacement has been the best thing for me! The gel injections didn't work for me at all.

I wish you the best of luck. Have a great time!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #18
~April~
Mouseketeer

I don't think your cazy.

The feeling of Disney magic is like no other, it takes adults back to being a child and lets a child be a child.

I would agree with other posters that renting a scooter will most likely make your trip more enjoyable.
~April~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Not crazy I went to WDW 8 weeks after my ACL reconstruction. I did rent a scooter "just in case". I am so glad I did. Our first evening, I made it half way across the WS and could not take another step. I didn't use it all the time. I would park it in stroller parking and maybe hit up a few rides in the area. It was invaluable though, esp for giving my poor knee a break when needed. I am postive I could not have stayed in the parks as long as we did if I didn't have the scooter.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

If you are worried about scooter slowing your trip, maybe consider a wneelchair. On the last disney trip my dad took before he passed, he was pretty sick. He requested a scooter b/c he did not want to be a burden- but after a couple days, it became obvious that it would be faster and easier for his adult son-me- to just push him in a regular wheelchair, which was literally my pleasure (and allowed us to stop having to cringe at the near-collisions). I recognize your kids are still teens, so maybe slightly different, but either way, have a great trip!
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout
If you are worried about scooter slowing your trip, maybe consider a wneelchair. On the last disney trip my dad took before he passed, he was pretty sick. He requested a scooter b/c he did not want to be a burden- but after a couple days, it became obvious that it would be faster and easier for his adult son-me- to just push him in a regular wheelchair, which was literally my pleasure (and allowed us to stop having to cringe at the near-collisions). I recognize your kids are still teens, so maybe slightly different, but either way, have a great trip!
And even if not opt for wheelchair, my larger point is, please consider renting scooter if it will make family and your time better- i have to assume scooter will be preferable to you limping in agony for the 10 miles or so an average disney travler goes each day. Alternatively, a wheelchair is a bit less cumbersome, so you could even come in and out, and when you are up, even push the chair yourself as sort of a walker.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Hootch
DIS Veteran

Not quite

the same, but I did DL last summer with two meniscus tears. I had surgery right after we returned from our trip. It was painful but it is probably the only time I will experience DL with my kids.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #23
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
And even if not opt for wheelchair, my larger point is, please consider renting scooter if it will make family and your time better- i have to assume scooter will be preferable to you limping in agony for the 10 miles or so an average disney travler goes each day.
This, exactly. I wanted to share a picture of Dad in the scooter. He really did love that thing. The first few times on and off the bus were a bit scary, but he was a pro by the second day!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #24
shortchef
Mouseketeer

You are so not crazy in the least! I also made my first trip to WDW as an adult and many of my very best memories are from there. I have a collage picture of my kids standing in front of the mosaic in Cinderellas Castle, the first with my one daughter's head at the hemline of Cinderella's dress and the last with her head equal in height to Cinderella's. They put it together and gave it to me for a gift a couple of years ago! They are adults now and wow, the memories and the tears flooded when I opened it. So, YES - GO and enjoy every moment. Time will only move faster!
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
wmears95
Earning My Ears

Go, Go, Go!!! Just do whatever you have to in order to enjoy the trip! (you might want to ask for some pain medication to take with you)

And when you get home, schedule your knee surgery.

I did the same thing in 2011. Had the surgery about a month after we got home.

I love my new knees! (I did have to have one "tweaked" last June but had a super fast recovery.) I also thought I was "young" at 49, but the doctor told me that ALL age groups now get the "bionic" knee.
I can now go up and down stairs pain free, am able to sleep, can sit pain free (yes, sitting hurt prior to surgery while standing and walking felt so much better!)
Surgery is a big decision, but the injections you are getting did nothing for me. I had the best surgeon, his focus is knees and hips, so his expertise was fantastic.
If you have any questions about the surgery, I'll be glad to answer them!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Not crazy at all! When I'm at WDW, all (ok, most) of my cares go away! I am prone to anxiety attacks, and when I'm IN the parks, I don't get them! When I'm in WDW restaurants, that's another story, but actually INSIDE the park I am completely free as a bird. It's amazing. I don't know what it is- my mind is at peace when I'm there. I love it- Disney Magic is amazing.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
Princess Hannah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
I am prone to anxiety attacks, and when I'm IN the parks, I don't get them! When I'm in WDW restaurants, that's another story, but actually INSIDE the park I am completely free as a bird. It's amazing. I don't know what it is- my mind is at peace when I'm there. I love it- Disney Magic is amazing.
I am the same way! I have severe social anxiety but it doesn't bother me in WDW, which is why I consider it my real home. I've had a few sticky moments in restaurants or while meeting characters, but never a panic attack and all my other symptoms are gone. I can be myself there, and I'm so grateful to have a place like that in my life.

Last edited by Princess Hannah; 05-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Princess Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
boltfan
DIS Veteran

Not crazy at all. I made it a tradition to take my 3 kids (sans husband as he doesn't like Disney!) every other year since 2004, since it's all we can afford. This past year, my job was cut to part time, and my husband's hours were also cut some, so we weren't sure we'd be able to make it in 2014. I was very disappointed as my daughter will graduate June 2015, so this will probably be her last trip, so I knew we HAD to go. Let's just say, I booked the trip anyway and am paying it off little by little, and suddenly in the past few weeks, my husband was offered a great new job and my job was made full time with a huge raise! So, everything worked out in the end! Enjoy your trip
Old 05-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Totally NOT crazy.

Disney magic is where it's at!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #30
abmitch01
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry about your furry friend. And the loss of a parent. I don't think you are crazy at all. Except what everyone else said about the scooter. I took my parents done when they were in ill health knowing this would be the last time. My mom is terminally ill. To get her to ride a scooter was a huge PITA. She looked well at the time if she was sitting down so she was afraid people would judge her. But she could barely walk from handicapped parking to the ticket booth. I was nervous about her driving it but she did great. they had the best time, they were like two little kids.

don't ruin your foot more, consider the scooter
abmitch01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: