Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
patty57
DIS Veteran

I did the same thing with S & D. Almost always stay at BC & BW because I love the Epcot location, and love the resorts. We stayed at the Swan last June for a nurse's discount, and stay connected rate, which the WDW resorts couldn't come close to. We all really liked the Swan. Liked it so much, I'm staying at the Dolphin in May! All things being equal (price), I would stay at BC for SAB, but I'm paying half to stay at the Dolphin.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
trishadono
DIS Veteran

As our FHP (family happiness planner) I encounter lots of stubbornness! I have found a way around it. At dd age 11 I started a kid n mom every other year trip. We go once as a family and then I alternate each year alone with dd/ds. My dh needs a king or a queen bed alone so we stay deluxe. Then I usually use kid trips to try new/go back to favs. With ds I tried WL, CSR and POR , he loved those. Dd and I went back to CBR after a long break and we forgot how pretty it is. I got her there by staying 3 nights and moving one night to GF CL . That way I got to go back to one of my old favs and she got Sugar Loaf! Have to say I only have one resort I am stubborn about... SS. It is so large, so far from parks etc I don't see any advantage of staying there.

Trish
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
natfrac
Mouseketeer

We will not stay at any value resort, ever. As empty nesters, we avoid the hotels heavily populated with kids and tour groups. Plus DH really likes a balcony, so BWV is our resort of choice. We've stayed at POR, OKW, and the Swan before, and while we did like the Swan, it's more economical to rent DVC points and stay at the Boardwalk.
natfrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I find my tastes/resort needs change over time. I wasn't very interested in AKL until we went for dinner. It's just so impressive when you actually see it in person. We ended up staying there and loved it.
I also wasn't all that interested in Beach Club yet this year a good deal came out and it sounded perfect for a summer trip so we're going to stay there in August.

I would say SSR and CBR are lowest on my priority list right now, but I'm sure we'll give them a try one day.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Yep, just did that with POR. It never appealed to me. Decided to stay there last month on a short trip and decided it's a very nice resort. It helped that we had a good location in Oak Manor.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I'm a resort snob when it comes to the values (to me, they each just seem like an oversized Motel 6 with over-the-top Disney theming).

On the other end of the spectrum, I can never bring myself to stay at the Contemporary (despite the fantastic location - the theming, or lack thereof, just doesn't do it for me).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
excited4disney2012
Earning My Ears

POFQ
We wanted to try a moderate and everyone suggested POFQ. I had no desire to stay there, I wanted beachy(CBR) or the Southwest theme(CSR). Everyone told me how great POFQ is. But I thought "What you think is cool isn't necessarily what I think is cool". The only thing that kept me going there was "It's Disney, it can't be bad". Less than a half an hour after we arrived I exclaimed "I get it!!" The place was fabulous. Everything exceeded my expectations. I was very happy there.
excited4disney2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

I've only stayed at POFQ (once, first trip in 95, so overwhelmed by everything that I don't actually remember too terribly much about the resort), CSR (every other trip since, save 2 - absolutely love everything about it), CBR (once, overall didn't enjoy) and Polynesian (most recent trip).

DH had always wanted to stay at the Poly since he was a kid - I had no desire really. It had always seemed so...BROWN. And then we got there. Obviously, I knew being a deluxe it would have great amenities and proximity to the parks would make me like it. But staying there? Oh my gosh do I love it! It's beautiful! And the BROWN and dark that stood out to me from photos/monorail trips past...SO not the reality once you're there! I'd thought I would want to stay at GF instead, but now I find my opinion has shifted and GF feels a bit "stuffy" so it's now on my list of not really wanting to stay there. (You know, until I stay there and love that too lol)
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I am totally in love with CR club level and I don't even need to stay there. I already know its fantastic. But all of my family says no. Why? Because they don't like the sinks. -.- So for now it's SSR and the Poly.
Princess Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

Yes, totally did this too. I stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings and a couple of times after the name change. I vowed to never stay at POFQ because I was loyal to Dixie. However, a few years ago there was ONLY availability at POFQ for our dates, so we had to stay there. I prepared the family for the worst. Tiny resort, over the top annoying theme, shared bus that was somehow worse than POR (who the bus was shared with) and no Disney feel.

Boy was I wrong! We LOVED it. We haven't gone back yet, but not for lack of enjoying our time there! We have been staying on points at our DVC resorts and haven't been going outside them in recent years. This summer we are headed to CBR for nostalgia as it was the first Disney Resort I ever stayed at as a child.

I'm still a snob about CSR (it has a convention center, that's not Disney! LOL) and S/D just stands out like a sore thumb to me. Maybe one day...

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

I love this thread. Trying right now to choose swalphin, floridian, contemporary, or a moderate. For some reason I just am not all that excited about staying at the swalphin... an it'd be free on credit card points!

Swan or port Orleans for two nights before a 5 night stay at boardwalk inn??
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #27
cjsm&d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
I love this thread. Trying right now to choose swalphin, floridian, contemporary, or a moderate. For some reason I just am not all that excited about staying at the swalphin... an it'd be free on credit card points!

Swan or port Orleans for two nights before a 5 night stay at boardwalk inn??
I think two nights at Swan is just the perfect way to see if you'd stay there in the future. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's in the perfect location and you can try a couple of their restaurants (The wife loves Il Miluno).
cjsm&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

For us, it was GF.

One trip, we went to 1900 for dinner and judged it as stuffy and that it wasn't for us jeans and T's folks...

Boy, was I wrong!

Last year, we kept seeing great deals come out with a 30% off certain deluxes. When we were considering what hotel was in our eyes the epitome of the Holidays in Disney, I couldn't stop thinking of the tree and gingerbread house in the GF lobby that I had seen on TV specials. So we booked it and it was so unbelievable.

Never did i feel like we were treated based on money. In fact, the staff went above and beyond. Knowing that we were traveling with kids who have autism, they showed us two different rooms that would work for us and they even showed us the screen so we could see the view. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday and not only did they surprise both kids with stuffed animals, balloons and coloring books/crayons but the next day delivered a great chocolate treat as a happy birthday wish as well.

I get why it does appear stuffy, but that stay completely turned me into a GF lover! This next trip, we are trying my dream stay at Poly but I definitely foresee a trip back to GF soon after that. Our nomad days of trying different hotels each trip, I believe are soon over!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Kimi313
DIS Veteran

Yes I have! We did this with the Beach Club, not staying there thinking hey we go with extended family to the beach each year so we don't want a just beach resort theme but boy we were wrong. I love the Beach Club and if I had to stay there each trip I wouldn't mind. This year DD's boyfriend is wanting to stay at Cont, which we love also, but there is this voice inside me that is hoping that if discounts come out for August that the BC will be better and we will change but don't tell anyone.
Hilton '92, Cont '93, Cont '94, POR '95, Poly Lag '96, Cont Tower '97, Off Site '97,Cont Tower '98, WL '99, Poly '00, Poly '00, ASSp '01, Cont '01, Poly '02, GF '03, Cont Tow '04, WL '05, Poly '06, ASMo '07 Poly '07, ASMo '08, Poly '10, Ft Wilderness '11, Beach Club '12, Beach Club NYE, Cont Tow '13, Cont Tow '14
Kimi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I never thought that I would like AKL.It held no appeal. Then a couple of years ago, I invited my friend and her 8 year old to come with us and I booked AKV because I figured he'd love seeing the animals, which he did. I was not prepared for how much I would love this resort. It's stunning and I found myself waking up early not to go to the parks but to wait for the handlers to put out the food for the animals.

OP, we love CSR and the S/D too. It cracks me up when I read that someone is a deluxe snob but they won't try the S/D. These hotels are at least as nice as the Disney deluxe resorts.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: