Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #916
stacy347
I carried a watermelon?
 
stacy347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,582

Goal 45

Book #14
Necessary Detour by Kim Hornsby

I'll give this one a 3.5/5. There were quite a few technical errors that irked me. Again, this was a Kindle book, and errors seem to be much more prominent in these books.
That being said, it was a decent mystery. Nothing too deep, not a lot of violence, and a little romance thrown in. It's a good filler book in between meatier ones.
__________________
August 13-18, 2006 ASMo ~ Free Dining was awesome!
June 15-21, 2007 ASMu
April 6, 2008 Disney on Ice: High School Musical
May 16-22, 2010 Seralago Resort ~ so much fun!
June 17-23, 2012 Regal Palms ~ loved it!
Oct. 4, 2012 Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After
stacy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #917
nemofans
DIS Veteran
 
nemofans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,102

Finished book#9: The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is book 2 of the YA series. It is fast paced & interesting to read. It took me a day & a half to read & I am already 100 pgs into the third book.

In the second book in the New York Times bestselling series, Nicholas, Sophie, Josh, and Scatty emerge in Paris, the City of Light, home to Nicholas Flamel. Only this homecoming is anything but sweet. Niccolò Machiavelli, immortal author and celebrated art collector, lives in Paris and is working for Dr. John Dee. Hes in hot pursuit, and time is running out for Nicholas and Perenell. Josh and Sophie Newman are the worlds only hope. . . . If they dont turn on each other first.
__________________


I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #918
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran
 
RunningGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,481

Okay, I've got a few to add. Books 12-14 were the last 3 in Jean Auel's series. In between I also read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (meh, not very good) and Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich (typical), which brings me up to 15.

I've got a few on hold (virtual, since they're ebooks) at the library, so I'm reading quick ones to fill the time. I just downloaded Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, so I'll read that one next. I wish my library had more ecopies of books! They usually only get 3 or 4 copies, and there are over 100 people on some hold lists.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #919
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie
 
tinkerbellfan6880's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofans
Finished book#9: The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

This is book 2 of the YA series. It is fast paced & interesting to read. It took me a day & a half to read & I am already 100 pgs into the third book.

In the second book in the New York Times bestselling series, Nicholas, Sophie, Josh, and Scatty emerge in Paris, the City of Light, home to Nicholas Flamel. Only this homecoming is anything but sweet. Niccolò Machiavelli, immortal author and celebrated art collector, lives in Paris and is working for Dr. John Dee. Hes in hot pursuit, and time is running out for Nicholas and Perenell. Josh and Sophie Newman are the worlds only hope. . . . If they dont turn on each other first.
How are you liking the series? I am currently reading the sixth and last book in the series right now. I love reading this series!
__________________
I love Tinkerbell!

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #920
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,089

Book 2 of 20

"I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella (2 out of 5 stars)

I actually got this book based on Kinsella recommendations found in this thread. Sorry to say, I was very disappointed. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it was certainly a chore to read. This book was quick and light, but from the first page I hated the main character. In fact, none of the characters were developed and I felt that they were all very stupid and annoying. My eyes are sore because I rolled them so often. I kept reading because I knew it would be a quick read, I wanted another notch on my book belt, and I was hoping that it would get better. It didn't.

I also have "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which I will read in the next week or two (after I feed my brain, I lost a couple of cells after book 2). I hope the author can redeem herself with "Confessions...".
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #921
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,684

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkiya View Post
Book 2 of 20

"I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella (2 out of 5 stars)

I actually got this book based on Kinsella recommendations found in this thread. Sorry to say, I was very disappointed. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it was certainly a chore to read. This book was quick and light, but from the first page I hated the main character. In fact, none of the characters were developed and I felt that they were all very stupid and annoying. My eyes are sore because I rolled them so often. I kept reading because I knew it would be a quick read, I wanted another notch on my book belt, and I was hoping that it would get better. It didn't.

I also have "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which I will read in the next week or two (after I feed my brain, I lost a couple of cells after book 2). I hope the author can redeem herself with "Confessions...".

Funny you should bring up Sophie Kinsella. I have just started my first-ever Kinsella book. I think it's "Remember Me." I have resisted these books for YEARS because they seem like vapid fluff to me (and that's OK) and i don't generally enjoy that. But some fluff has surprised me. There have been lots of positive reviews over the years for her books and remarks made that the books are hilarious, etc.

So far, I'm having the same reaction as you but I am going to give it some more time. The characters are kind of stupid and not "hilarious" in a good way. I don't know, I hate to be a snob but I'm feeling like one.
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #922
nemofans
DIS Veteran
 
nemofans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellfan6880 View Post
How are you liking the series? I am currently reading the sixth and last book in the series right now. I love reading this series!
I like it alot! It's one of those series that you read through fast b/c you want to know what happens, then you're sad b/c you finished it all. Some parts are repetitive when they remind you of previous situations, but you find that in most YA books. I just skip those parts.
__________________


I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #923
dizluvah
DIS Veteran
 
dizluvah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 1,515

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkiya View Post
Book 2 of 20

"I've Got Your Number" by Sophie Kinsella (2 out of 5 stars)

I actually got this book based on Kinsella recommendations found in this thread. Sorry to say, I was very disappointed. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it was certainly a chore to read. This book was quick and light, but from the first page I hated the main character. In fact, none of the characters were developed and I felt that they were all very stupid and annoying. My eyes are sore because I rolled them so often. I kept reading because I knew it would be a quick read, I wanted another notch on my book belt, and I was hoping that it would get better. It didn't.

I also have "Confessions of a Shopaholic" which I will read in the next week or two (after I feed my brain, I lost a couple of cells after book 2). I hope the author can redeem herself with "Confessions...".
I totally agree with you! I gave 2 stars to I've Got Your Number and I think I was being generous. IMHO the shopaholic books are much more enjoyable reads!
__________________
Christine
dizluvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #924
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran
 
Swimnoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Okay, I've got a few to add. Books 12-14 were the last 3 in Jean Auel's series. In between I also read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (meh, not very good) and Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich (typical), which brings me up to 15.

I've got a few on hold (virtual, since they're ebooks) at the library, so I'm reading quick ones to fill the time. I just downloaded Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, so I'll read that one next. I wish my library had more ecopies of books! They usually only get 3 or 4 copies, and there are over 100 people on some hold lists.
I love the Odd series! All of them were good.

Waiting lists! I am 164 on Alex Cross, Run at my library!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #925
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran
 
funkychunkymonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: in the land of Little House
Posts: 2,556

finsihed
Pestigo
getto cop
__________________
190 books out of 100
me Mom tia DC10 DC11 ole lady (grandma) rincess: DSis Dbil
boz boo batterbutt
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #926
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!
 
Glynis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alpine, Utah
Posts: 15,792

Goal - 50 books

Book #17 - "Life is So Good" by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman

George Dawson was born in 1898. As the grandson of slaves, he grew up his whole life hearing the stories, and learning how to deal with white people. His amazing life is chronicled in this book. By the time he was 16 there was finally a colored school in his hometown, but by then he was needed to work to help bring money to the family. So, he figured his opportunity to learn to read had passed him by. He tells us his views of the world as it progressed, decade by decade, throughout the twentieth century. The year he turned 98, he was invited to join some adult education classes, and so began his biggest thrill yet... learning to read. By the time the book ends, George is 101 and is reading on a 4th grade level. He's still attending school, and tells us that even though life isn't perfect, it is still so good!

I loved this book! I don't enjoy non-fiction much, but this was one compelling story! It was amazing to see major world events through his eyes. For example, World War I didn't really mean anything to the colored people. It was a white man's war. His people were simply trying to make a living. This was fascinating! I read it for book club, and now I can't wait to meet so we can discuss it!
__________________


2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #927
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,819

My book #9 was Cross My Heart by Katie Klein. Very sweet YA romance which I enjoyed a lot.

True love can blossom in unexpected places. This is Jaden pretending not to notice. . . .

Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen are a wrong fit from the start. Jaden is driven and focused, Harvard Med School within reach. Parker has a pasta reputationand the rumors about his mysterious habits abound. So theres no reason why, when they're assigned to work together on a project in English, they should discover they have anything in common, or even like each other, and they definitely shouldn't be falling in love.

As they bond over Edith Whartons tragic novella, Ethan Frome, the bad boy vibe Parker plays begins to dissipate. Soon, Jaden finds herself shedding her own good girl image: sneaking around to be with him, confiding in him, and ultimately falling hard for this leather-wearing, motorcycle-driving loner who plays into the rebel stereotype.

Still, Jaden can't shake the feeling that there's more to Parker than he's letting on. He's hiding something from her, and discovering the truth means reconciling the Parker she's grown to love with the person he really is. Because it's possible that his life inside the classroomeverything Jaden knowsis one, massive lie.

CROSS MY HEART, told from Jaden's point of view, is a 76k-word/300-page contemporary romance for young adults. Bonus features include the official playlist and an interview with the author.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #928
smkiya
Sorta new. ;) Still gets a tag
THREADJACKER ALERT!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis
Goal - 50 books

Book #17 - "Life is So Good" by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman

George Dawson was born in 1898. As the grandson of slaves, he grew up his whole life hearing the stories, and learning how to deal with white people. His amazing life is chronicled in this book. By the time he was 16 there was finally a colored school in his hometown, but by then he was needed to work to help bring money to the family. So, he figured his opportunity to learn to read had passed him by. He tells us his views of the world as it progressed, decade by decade, throughout the twentieth century. The year he turned 98, he was invited to join some adult education classes, and so began his biggest thrill yet... learning to read. By the time the book ends, George is 101 and is reading on a 4th grade level. He's still attending school, and tells us that even though life isn't perfect, it is still so good!

I loved this book! I don't enjoy non-fiction much, but this was one compelling story! It was amazing to see major world events through his eyes. For example, World War I didn't really mean anything to the colored people. It was a white man's war. His people were simply trying to make a living. This was fascinating! I read it for book club, and now I can't wait to meet so we can discuss it!
I just read the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. The common themes were "inspirational and full of wisdom". I've added it among the top of my must reads. Thanks for listing it.
smkiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #929
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran
 
Caseheidi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 983

Book 9 of 100

Etiquette Espionage by Gail Carriger (Book 1 of the Finishing School Series)
Genra: Steampunk

Summary from Goodreads: It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.

Sophronia Temminnick at 14 is a great trial more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners -- and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Her poor mother, desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady, enrolls the lively tomboy in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage -- in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.


Gail Carriger also wrote the Parasol Protrectorate series, which I loved. Her writing style is not always easy to read, but is truly amusing. Think Victorian England, but with Vampires and Warewolves who are out in the open and living among the people. If you are looking for something different to read, I would recommend you give Gail Carriger a try.
__________________
Heidi

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #930
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia
 
Simba's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Harlingen, TX, USA
Posts: 24,922

For any fellow Sophie Kinsella fans, have you read "The Undomestic Goddess"? I read it last year, and it was the funniest book I ever read. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book".
__________________
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: