Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #136
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Where I live a room cannot be called a bedroom if it does not have a closet.
Generally not the case in New England -- that's why you see so many bedrooms with armoires. I owned a house in North Salem, NY, that was a three-bedroom from the 1920s and none of the three bedrooms had a closet.

However, to be called a bedroom, a room must have a window. Usually not an issue in the suburbs but you'd be surprised what people try to get away with in NYC.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #137
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Quote:
Yes, I have heard that too. Under 2000 square feet doesn't seem large enough to have all those rooms. I think emptying the house of as much stuff as you can will make it appear to be large when it is not. I think you said 12 or 14 rooms with under 2000 square feet? That listing would not appeal to me as it sounds really claustrophobic. We have just over 2000 feet, 4 bedrooms and 7 rooms in total.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #138
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Generally not the case in New England -- that's why you see so many bedrooms with armoires. I owned a house in North Salem, NY, that was a three-bedroom from the 1920s and none of the three bedrooms had a closet.

However, to be called a bedroom, a room must have a window. Usually not an issue in the suburbs but you'd be surprised what people try to get away with in NYC.
We have the window rule,but the OP has windows, so not a problem.

We have old homes here, way older than the 1920s and a closet has been added in a corner. Not really hard to do.

Four of her rooms have closets, so the 5th would show up as odd.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #139
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's pretty common in New England to have bedrooms without closets in antique homes (and generally in older homes that have them, they were added during a renovation). The key factor is that there must be an egress window, i.e. a window large enough to get a body through.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #140
bellebud
DIS Veteran

i know you said you've already done and/or are going to do some of the main suggestions, so forgive me if you've already updated anything I list.

The living room in the picture - the beam running down the wall is a feature I'd love if I were into old houses - make it stand out more. It blends into the wall now. I know you're going to paint the walls in there lighter. Just spruce up that beam as much as you can.

Someone else mentioned the 'birthing room' thing... I agree. That's something a person looking at an old house would love to know! I'd remove the covering on the fireplace and even stick a candle thing in there. Play up it's charm!

The picture of the foyer is beautiful!! The bench there is perfect, the walls are charming! The rest of the house, at least in the photos, don't capture that charm.

You saying you used one of the small rooms as a sewing room stood out to me. I think that's great! Have you played up that potential? A craft/sewing area is a big bonus! Declutter it as much as possible, leave the sewing machine in there, and maybe a couple of crafty organizers, so it's clear the room can be used for that purpose. I'd LOVE that if I were looking for a home.

The outside needs some evergreens in front of the house. Can you buy potted ones now and just place them there, then plant them when the weather warms up? See if you can get them shipped if you have to (look on-line). There's just no curb appeal... I know it's winter, but even in winter, my house in NY has curb appeal because of our evergreens.

Pretty up the front porch. I know it's winter and it's hard to do, but an outside decoration, trellis, large plant vase... something. But make sure it's age appropriate (meaning appropriate 240 years ago).

I realize pictures often don't show many things, but to me, most of the rooms look "old", but not historically old, which is something you need to play up. Can you buy a few historically interesting pieces of small furniture (a chair, an end table), or even knick knacks (old candles, a kitchen utensil, etc). Take down anything and everything modern (except modern conveniences of course).

As everyone else has said, remove all family photos and knick knacks. Maybe purchase linen-ish spreads for the beds (again, something that looks historically old). Throw them on when showing the house.

I know you probably don't want to add any money to show it, but if you just pick a lump sum and think of it as an investment in selling the house quickly, it may be easier to mentally swallow.

Staging, staging, staging... the rooms (except the foyer), don't look staged at all. I think it's a must, because everyone else does it now.

I'd love to see more pics as you move forward with the house. I think you've gotten some wonderful ideas here. Good luck!
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #141
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
<snip>

Only one room does not have a closet, that is the guest room off the living room. In my pictures you will see all the closets marked. It does have cabinets and a bureau that will be staying with the house. It is the "post office" room. (Because it was the PO for years.)
What is the size of that room? Maybe it would be better to call it a 4 bedroom house and have that room be considered an office. I think saying 5 bedrooms and it being under 2,000 sq ft, might instantly turn people off.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #142
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
It's pretty common in New England to have bedrooms without closets in antique homes (and generally in older homes that have them, they were added during a renovation). The key factor is that there must be an egress window, i.e. a window large enough to get a body through.
We also have to have an "egress window" at least in order for anything to be considered a bedroom as well.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #143
bellebud
DIS Veteran

the Post Office room... you must show that in some way. That's SO cool!!

Can you get an old photo from your town's records of it?? If you can, frame that and put it on the wall. Or search antique shops (or on-line) for anything from a post office (and old po box drawer, anything!) and put it in that room.

Again, someone who likes old houses will love that!
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #144
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
She DID ask what would turn us off.

I look at houses online a lot, for my daughter. If I saw a house with no pictures of the kitchen, I'd hit the back button. Call it an attack if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Why did you quote me? I was just asking a simple question about bedroom closets. How is that attacking? I know if I was looking at a house that was 5 bedrooms I would expect them all to have closets. If they don't she may want to consider stating it a different way. So tell me, how is that not helpful advice?
If you both read my *complete* post, I *did* apologize* to both of you.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #145
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
If you both read my *complete* post, I *did* apologize* to both of you.
Seems you edited it after our replies. So we had read the complete post. No reason why we would go back to re-read it. Seems you didn't read the OP's complete post.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #146
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
Seems you edited it after our replies. So we had read the complete post. No reason why we would go back to re-read it. Seems you didn't read the OP's complete post.
Actually, looks like we were typing at the same time. I quoted, then reread the OP, then I immediately corrected it.

Actually, I DID read the OP's post, just forgot about asking for feedback. Only remembered the part about "what would we look for in a house".
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #147
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post

Can you get an old photo from your town's records of it?? If you can, frame that and put it on the wall. Or search antique shops (or on-line) for anything from a post office (and old po box drawer, anything!) and put it in that room.

Yes, think along those lines. The house we have in NH is 100 years old. I had pieces in there to reflect the age. An old spinning wheel in front of the fireplace and an old metal pot hanging inside it from the flue hook. I had an antiques treadle sewing machine in the little room off the kitchen. Had shelves in the kitchen with antique kitchen gadgets and such. Little touches like that can really bring out the charm in such places.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #148
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post

That's a really good idea. Even looking at thrift shops to find stuff might work. I understand not wanting to spend too much money on it. If you play up the right features you won't need much to give it the right feel.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #149
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Just don't hang it on the ceiling. Hang it a LOT lower than the one's you have showing on the walls now.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #150
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Just went back and read your OP. My mistake, I guess you did ask for a certain amount of feedback on what would *not* be appealing in your home. I apologize to these posters. Just seems like some of the posters are a little harsh, but maybe I'm a little sensitive for you. But, in all fairness to them, guess you asked for it to a degree. ;-}
Thank you.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: