Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Pranks?
I love that stuff! - It's all in good fun. 16 25.40%
I guess there's a time and place for it, but I'm not really into it. 15 23.81%
I hate it! - At best, it's annoying; at worst, downright mean. 26 41.27%
the required other 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

Pranks?

Spinoff of another thread ---

Do you like pranks, April Fools' Day, etc.?

me, DH, DS(14), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Harmless fun ones with my DS, I am okay with. Nothing that could hurt anyone or even be considered mean. For example, last year I made him an April Fool's breakfast.... eggs and toast.... only it was toasted pound cake, with vanilla yogurt and half an apricot. It was fun, and he loved it. Outside of that day, or anything more "serious" than that, no.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I don't consider any action with the express purpose of making another person feel embarrassed and stupid is fun.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
mrswh
DIS Veteran

I love practical jokes . . . if you don't have a sense of humor life must really suck.

That said, I would not prey on someone's achilles heel. Hurting someone's feelings isn't too funny.
mrswh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswh View Post
I love practical jokes . . . That said, I would not prey on someone's achilles heel. Hurting someone's feelings isn't too funny.

I enjoy pranks, too, whether I do them, or someone else does them to me. I don't like pranks, though, that are hurtful - very uncool - and I wouldn't do them to people who don't appreciate them. That would not be nice.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

I voted 'other'. It depends on the prank.

The prank I pulled that my parents still remind me about... our English teacher (Senior 'Advanced' English, this was before AP classes) announced she was going to show us a video of some movie. A friend and I brought in remote controls (also before universal remotes) for various models. She turned the VCR on, we turned it off. She turned it on, we turned it off. She hit 'Play', we hit 'FF'. She hit 'Play', we'd press 'Rewind'. She had no idea what was going on. The rest of the class was ROLLING, and some were crying they were laughing so hard.

This went on for about 10 minutes before the teacher went to ask for help from the AV teacher. He came in and said "Who has the remotes?" No one owned up of course and he threatened us with something if he had to come back in. The rest of the class time went fine.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I'm not hugely into it - but whatever. Makes for some entertaining stories though!!

My DH's best friends are big pranksters, particularly when they were younger. I remember when I first started dating DH, his friend called me up pretending to be some random guy. The funny part was, he used a name of a guy I had just met at a party so I thought it was that guy! (and of course, buddy had no idea and thought I was just chatting up some random stranger!) Anyway, he asked me out for a date and I accepted. I had just started seeing DH and did not consider us exclusive.

Then, DH and his friends cooked up a fun outing for the SAME DAY as the fake "date". I really wanted to hang out with DH and his friends and told them I would love to go, but couldn't cancel on that date because I was silly enough not to take the guy's number down. After toying with me for a bit, they finally spilled the beans about the prank. Complete silliness that I didn't hugely appreciate - but DH was happy that I wanted to go out with him instead of the of fake dude!

Another friend of his pulled off elaborate pranks in his younger days. His wife eventually straightened him out and now he tries really hard to be careful that his pranks don't cross the line.

Even after all these years, you can't always be safe with this crew. Unattended drinks usually gets salt added. If you get calls from weird people about weird things, it's usually one of them trying to disguise their voice.

Not really my thing, but I take it in good spirit.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
superme80
DIS Veteran

I hate pranks. Most are not in good fun and are just mean.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Fortuosity
That's me byword

Depends on the prank(s), the prankster(s) and the intended "victim(s)."

But if you're going to dish it out, you'd better be able to take it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I put seran wrap on the toilet seat when I was in middle school. Just about wet myself when my mom sat down. Priceless.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I voted 'other'. It depends on the prank.

The prank I pulled that my parents still remind me about... our English teacher (Senior 'Advanced' English, this was before AP classes) announced she was going to show us a video of some movie. A friend and I brought in remote controls (also before universal remotes) for various models. She turned the VCR on, we turned it off. She turned it on, we turned it off. She hit 'Play', we hit 'FF'. She hit 'Play', we'd press 'Rewind'. She had no idea what was going on. The rest of the class was ROLLING, and some were crying they were laughing so hard.

This went on for about 10 minutes before the teacher went to ask for help from the AV teacher. He came in and said "Who has the remotes?" No one owned up of course and he threatened us with something if he had to come back in. The rest of the class time went fine.
12 years of Catholic school and that was our entertainment. We did that to every teacher. We did a lot of very very bad stuff too but I will keep that to myself.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Harmless and creative things, like the MIT Hacks, I LOVE

http://hacks.mit.edu/

but anything that is meant to harm or humiliate someone, I really dislike.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I've never been a fan of pranks. Usually someone ends up getting hurt or their feelings hurt or extra work for someone when they were disciplined for it.

So they've not been funny to me once I got in trouble for one.

We lived on a farm. We raised chickens for eggs and meat. I did pull a prank once on my Mother. I was the person who killed and gutted the chickens.
We put the chickens in a bucket after they were plucked, guts removed and cleaned up.

After getting the bucket, Mother would just reach in without looking and give them a final cleaning before they went into the freezer.
Once I put the guts in the bucket instead of the actual chicken. We heard Mother's screams halfway across the yard that day when she reached into the bucket.

It turned out not to be a great prank for me, I had to clean the chicken coop by myself for a month.
That involved taking out the old hay, washing the coop, cleaning the chicken boxes and putting down new hay. We did that once a week normally and all 4 kids did it. Not fun doing it by yourself. Blech.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I am a HUGE fan of pranks....it just has to be funny to all involved.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

I voted other, because I think some practical jokes are cute and funny, but others are just mean. I really don't think the fake "winning lottery tickets" are funny at all. Making someone think they just won the lottery as a joke is just mean.

I agree that if you are going to be a practical joker, you have to be able to take it as well as you give it!! I had a roomate in college who was a big practical joker. It was funny at first, but got annoying really fast. About the fifth day in a row of her practical jokes, she hid in the vanity cabinet in the bathroom and was going to jump out to scare me when I went in there. I could see through the crack in the vanity door that she was under there, so I avoided going in to the bathroom and waited to see how long she would stay in there. TWO HOURS LATER she came walking out of the bathroom. I started lauging and told her I knew she was in there the entire time and she became absolutely furious . Apparently she thought her practical jokes were incredibly funny when she was playing them on me, but when they backfired on her, she didn't think they were so funny after all!

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: