Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #121
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
The fact that there's no pictures of the kitchen or the bathrooms is a turn-off. Makes me think that they must be really bad.

You say that everything matches? That doesn't mean a thing. Matching avocado green appliances? Matching cheap metal cabinets? Matching pink toilet, sink and tub?
New appliances and custom built cabinets with wide pine counter tops. Bathrooms have white tub, sink, and toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
You have an acre and you have to stay within the original footprint of the house even though you have room to go bigger? That would be a deal killer for me.
Interesting about the permits because I would think a remodel of 100+ year old houses would be the very reason you need permits for a remodel, to make sure it was safe and up to current electrical, plumbing, fire and insulation codes.

I know it must a Northeast thing, but an unfenced yard would be a deal killer too for me.
Not room to go bigger. You can't build over the septic or the leach field. Plus we have a 2 acre minimum for building in the whole town. My house was grand-fathered in so my only rules for remodeling is that you have to stay within the footprint. No permits or inspections required for remodeling unless we are changing the footprint.

Nobody has fences up here, if they do then it's decorative only. An acre is quite small for my area, but there is 50 acres of un-buildable woodlands across the street from me for those who want it that is for sale for hunting and stuff. Septic and well is the norm for the whole area.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #122
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
It's a great house for kids and my neighbors are awesome. We are moving to Texas, hence the reason we just want out of this house. Can't wait to live in a big city again.

The fireplace is three separate fireplaces that just happen to back up into one another. In one of my pictures, you can see the cover we placed over one. (it is removable) The flu for that one is about 4x6 inches... not even big enough for a candle but it was perfect for the rooms original use.... a birthing room.
Maybe take the cover off? As a buyer I'd be wonder what is being hidden by the cover. It might add more of that old charm to the room. With such an old house, I'd think you are looking for a buyer that isn't afraid of some work if they get those features they aren't going to find in every house.

I know others have mention the living room color being too dark. I agree. Maybe something more like the color in the front entrance.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #123
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
New appliances and custom built cabinets with wide pine counter tops. Bathrooms have white tub, sink, and toilet.

Not room to go bigger. You can't build over the septic or the leach field. Plus we have a 2 acre minimum for building in the whole town. My house was grand-fathered in so my only rules for remodeling is that you have to stay within the footprint. No permits or inspections required for remodeling unless we are changing the footprint.

Nobody has fences up here, if they do then it's decorative only. An acre is quite small for my area, but there is 50 acres of un-buildable woodlands across the street from me for those who want it that is for sale for hunting and stuff. Septic and well is the norm for the whole area.
Why no pictures of the kitchen and baths, then? I still think they must be bad.

"No permits or inspections required" is a red flag for me. That means any idiot with tools can, and probably has, "improved" things.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #124
Tiggernut_jadie
I have never had any sort of 'butt rot'

Quote:

"No permits or inspections required" is a red flag for me. That means any idiot with tools can, and probably has, "improved" things.
This^ plus no pictures of the master suite or main living room?!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #125
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggernut_jadie View Post
There will be pictures of those in the listing, just don't have any online right now.

That is what a thorough home inspection is for. To check and make sure everything is right and in working order. We took pictures of everything we did and had an electrician in to help us with things like that.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #126
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Smallest bedroom is 10 x 9.8. Enought for a twin bed and bureau and room to play. We use the 5th bedroom as a sewing room.

Just under 2000 Square feet I believe.

That's a lot of rooms for under 2,000 square feet. The rooms that you call bedrooms, do they all have closets?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #127
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Nobody has fences up here, if they do then it's decorative only..
I take it there are no laws regarding dogs and fencing then.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #128
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know it must a Northeast thing, but an unfenced yard would be a deal killer too for me.
Had to laugh at this! We've lived in many states with dh's transfers, so have bought/sold lots of homes, and have *never* heard even mentioned that not having a fenced yard would be a *deal breaker* A lot of people have unfenced back yards (front fences never allowed where we've been, would be unsightly anyhow).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #129
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggernut_jadie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
That's a lot of rooms for under 2,000 square feet. The rooms that you call bedrooms, do they all have closets?
OP. I really admire the patience that you have shown on this thread. You started out asking what everyone would *look* for when buying a home. It seems like it has turned into --- how much can we attack OP on what her house looks like. These are just a few of the last examples.

For a home that is 240 years old, I think it has aged well. No one can expect an *up to date* appearance. I'm very honest, I couldn't deal with an older home that would need lots of care, but I do know there are those out there that are just looking for that type home. My best to you in selling it so you can come down to the sunny, warm south!

Just went back and read your OP. My mistake, I guess you did ask for a certain amount of feedback on what would *not* be appealing in your home. I apologize to these posters. Just seems like some of the posters are a little harsh, but maybe I'm a little sensitive for you. But, in all fairness to them, guess you asked for it to a degree. ;-}

Last edited by North of Mouse; 02-22-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: noticed new info
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #130
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
OP. I really admire the patience that you have shown on this thread. You started out asking what everyone would *look* for when buying a home. It seems like it has turned into --- how much can we attack OP on what her house looks like. These are just a few of the last examples.

For a home that is 240 years old, I think it has aged well. No one can expect an *up to date* appearance. I'm very honest, I couldn't deal with an older home that would need lots of care, but I do know there are those out there that are just looking for that type home. My best to you in selling it so you can come down to the sunny, warm south!
She DID ask what would turn us off.

I look at houses online a lot, for my daughter. If I saw a house with no pictures of the kitchen, I'd hit the back button. Call it an attack if you want.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #131
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:

Why did you quote me? I was just asking a simple question about bedroom closets. How is that attacking? I know if I was looking at a house that was 5 bedrooms I would expect them all to have closets. If they don't she may want to consider stating it a different way. So tell me, how is that not helpful advice?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #132
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

I think it's a lot in the wording... "those rooms that you call bedrooms.." - a much nicer way would have been to say "Do all the bedrooms have closets?"

I'm not saying you meant it as an attack, just explaining how I read it. Being that we dont' know each other and our personalities are all different, sometimes there is a "gentler" way of saying things.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #133
phorsenuf
Grandma Oboe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazyMomma View Post
I think it's a lot in the wording... "those rooms that you call bedrooms.." - a much nicer way would have been to say "Do all the bedrooms have closets?"

I'm not saying you meant it as an attack, just explaining how I read it. Being that we dont' know each other and our personalities are all different, sometimes there is a "gentler" way of saying things.

Seriously?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #134
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
That's a lot of rooms for under 2,000 square feet. The rooms that you call bedrooms, do they all have closets? Why did you quote me? I was just asking a simple question about bedroom closets. How is that attacking? I know if I was looking at a house that was 5 bedrooms I would expect them all to have closets. If they don't she may want to consider stating it a different way. So tell me, how is that not helpful advice?
Only one room does not have a closet, that is the guest room off the living room. In my pictures you will see all the closets marked. It does have cabinets and a bureau that will be staying with the house. It is the "post office" room. (Because it was the PO for years.)

Quote:
I take it there are no laws regarding dogs and fencing then.
There are leash laws but you will find that most people have trained their dogs to stay in the yard or have a lead, as I do, but if your dog is tends to jump or looks scary enough then I find that those owners have some sort of fence but just enough so you know to stay away from the dog. Quite a few of my neighbors have their dogs out without physical restraint throughout the day. Their dogs are friendly. One neighbors dogs gets tied up unless owner is out, like we do.

Quote:

Just went back and read your OP. My mistake, I guess you did ask for a certain amount of feedback on what would *not* be appealing in your home. I apologize to these posters. Just seems like some of the posters are a little harsh, but maybe I'm a little sensitive for you. But, in all fairness to them, guess you asked for it to a degree. ;-}
I did ask for it and am juts trying to answer everyone's questions. Every little bit does help. That closet upstairs definitely needs to be cleaned out, but I knew that and already cleaned it up so it now only has perfectly stacked board games on it. I also know that a lot of people don't appreciate the old houses. It is a New England thing.

I am coming south regardless, my DH leaves in 2 weeks, but would love to not have to pay 2 mortgages.

Quote:
She DID ask what would turn us off.

I look at houses online a lot, for my daughter. If I saw a house with no pictures of the kitchen, I'd hit the back button. Call it an attack if you want.
Which is why pictures of everything will be in the official listing. I am the same. I look for certain things in the houses I am looking for. 10 yrs of an old house makes us want a house with little maintenance as possible. I don't seem to be having any problems with finding newer houses where I am looking.

My biggest turn off is a fully open floor plan. I have younger kids who make lots of noise and I don't' want/need that traveling through the whole house. My dad has an open floor plan like that and it is way too loud at his house all the time. No walls to keep the TV sound in the room so the volume is always at 35 at least. There are lots of things in the listings I am looking at that I don't understand but will have to wait and see in person before I decide. Actually, I think my biggest turn off is when I specify only listings with a pool and the only pool is the community one. Not what I desire.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #135
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Where I live a room cannot be called a bedroom if it does not have a closet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: