Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
tweis
DIS Veteran

What to do in Nassau...

Hi all my DH and myself will be sailing on the Dream, without our children this time, and want to get off the ship in Nassau and maybe have a little beach time. We are not interested in the Atlantis excursion but was considering the Blue Lagoon excursion but we don't really want to spend the entire day there. On our last trip to Nassau, we did a little shopping at the Straw Market and some of the other shops and do not really feel it necessary to do that again. I have been looking into some of the day passes that are offered by some of the area resorts but again we really want to head back to the ship around 1:00 (ish) so are there any passes that are great for maybe the morning or a nice, clean beach that is easy to get to on your own for a few hours? I would love to hear from some DCL veterans, but I welcome all suggestions.

tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
maarch
Mouseketeer

I'm interested in this to. I'm doing a 3 days cruise for part of our honeymoon and one of the stop is Nassau. I seriously don't know what to do there. And so far the only thing I've heard was that you need to be careful not to get mugged :S
maarch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

IMO, I would just stay on the ship while in Nassau. I personally have been to the bahamas enough to know I dont want to get off the ship. Enjoy being on the boat while most of the passengers will be off the ship.
joelnkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
IMO, I would just stay on the ship while in Nassau. I personally have been to the bahamas enough to know I dont want to get off the ship. Enjoy being on the boat while most of the passengers will be off the ship.
I know that is alot of people's opinion but, we enjoyed our time off the ship last time and plan on getting off the ship this time as well. But thanks

Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarch View Post
I'm interested in this to. I'm doing a 3 days cruise for part of our honeymoon and one of the stop is Nassau. I seriously don't know what to do there. And so far the only thing I've heard was that you need to be careful not to get mugged :S
On our last visit, we did some shopping in the straw market and some of the other shops and went and had our passports stamped, but this time we are looking more for half a beach day and maybe lunch. DCL offers excursion in Nassau but none that we are really interested in accept Blue Lagoon.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
calismic
Mouseketeer

I have heard that the British Colonial Hilton has an affordable day pass and they are within walking distance of the port. That would allow you to control when you leave much easier.
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
I have heard that the British Colonial Hilton has an affordable day pass and they are within walking distance of the port. That would allow you to control when you leave much easier.
I have been doing a little research on this myself this morning, and it does sound like what we may be looking for. Do you have any experience with it? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Lovin DCL
Earning My Ears

We asked a taxi driver to take us to a nice beach on our first trip to Nassau. The driver dropped us off next to the Sandals resort and led us to a free empty beach (no chairs and no people, but there were many people on the beach at Sandals, which was close, so we weren't totally alone). He told us he would come back and pick us up in 2 hours, and he was right on time. We had a great morning and were back on the ship by 1:00.

Next: 3/17/14-3/21/14: 4-night Bahamian on the Magic
1/12/13-1/18/13: 6-night Western Caribbean on the Magic
9/22/11-9/25/11: 3-night Bahamian on the Dream
10/21/10-10/24/10: 3-night Bahamian on the Wonder
10/25/09-10/29/09: 4-night Bahamian on the Wonder
Lovin DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin DCL View Post
We asked a taxi driver to take us to a nice beach on our first trip to Nassau. The driver dropped us off next to the Sandals resort and led us to a free empty beach (no chairs and no people, but there were many people on the beach at Sandals, which was close, so we weren't totally alone). He told us he would come back and pick us up in 2 hours, and he was right on time. We had a great morning and were back on the ship by 1:00.
We had actually considered buying the day pass for Sandals but for $150 pp I'm not sure it would be worth it since we only want to stay for half the day. It would be a good deal if we wanted to stay all day since it includes food/drinks/alcohol/water sports. You are braver than I am....I'm not sure I would have believed that the driver would come back. I think we are looking for something that has other people and maybe chairs.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
maarch
Mouseketeer

Anybody know the price of the BlueLagoon ? And is worth it ?

Or for our first time on a Disney Cruise, with our honeymoon we should just get out of the ship, go to the market, then go back in the ship and enjoy it while nobody is in there. I don't mind not going to the beach that day, considering it'll be what we do all day long on the next ( castaway cay )
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarch View Post
Anybody know the price of the BlueLagoon ? And is worth it ?

Or for our first time on a Disney Cruise, with our honeymoon we should just get out of the ship, go to the market, then go back in the ship and enjoy it while nobody is in there. I don't mind not going to the beach that day, considering it'll be what we do all day long on the next ( castaway cay )
Blue Lagoon is $69 pp I think. We will be at CC the next day also but if we have bad weather one day, I want to insure that we atleast have some kind of beach day. There will still be tons of people on the ship in Nassau because alot of people don't get off the boat.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
maarch
Mouseketeer

Wow, still it's 130$ to go to the beach. For that price do you have access to the dolphin, etc. or that's simply to go to the beach and then you have to add on top of that for extras ?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Aura of Foreboding
Mouseketeer

I know that you said that you were interested in the beach, and I don't have a lot of experience with that, but for others reading this thread, I would recommend the Pirates of Nassau attraction.

We thought it would be really cheesy, but we really enjoyed it. The displays were well built and more-or-less realistic and we learned a lot. It was a nice hour out of the sun, and there was some fun stuff in the gift shop.
DCL - 2012 (4-night Bahamian on the Dream)

In the works:
January 17-20th, 2014 - Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon(solo) ~ * ~ * ~ August 16th, 2014 - Disney Fantasy

Aura of Foreboding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
The Lorax
Impossible is nothing

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Hi all my DH and myself will be sailing on the Dream, without our children this time, and want to get off the ship in Nassau and maybe have a little beach time. We are not interested in the Atlantis excursion but was considering the Blue Lagoon excursion but we don't really want to spend the entire day there. On our last trip to Nassau, we did a little shopping at the Straw Market and some of the other shops and do not really feel it necessary to do that again. I have been looking into some of the day passes that are offered by some of the area resorts but again we really want to head back to the ship around 1:00 (ish) so are there any passes that are great for maybe the morning or a nice, clean beach that is easy to get to on your own for a few hours? I would love to hear from some DCL veterans, but I welcome all suggestions.
My DW & I were on a Carnival cruise that stayed overnight in Nassau, and wanted to spend time on the beach and not use any of the resort facilities. So paying so sit on the beach in front of Atlantis would have been a waste of money.
There is public beach access on Paradise Island, we took a water taxi ($3) that is adjacent to the cruise terminal. The water taxi staff provided commentary (as well as directions to the beach) on Nassau during the short trip. We were dropped us off on Paradise Is. under the Atlantis bridge, it is a 10-15 minute walk to the path public path access beside the RIU resort. There were about a dozen of the water taxi passengers who were walking to the beach, so we had safety in numbers.

DW & I ducked into Atlantis and bought some souvenirs from the shops inside the resort, also to take a shortcut to avoid walking around the large complex.
Once on the beach beside the RIU, you can rent beach chairs and there is a beach bar to quench your thirst.

As other posters wrote you can take a taxi which will drop you off at the same path, for DW & I we got to stretch our legs and do a little 'Atlantis' resort shopping.

03/01/2014 7-Night Western Caribbean - Fantasy
The Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
MommyTo4Kids
Earning My Ears

I just know it.... I"m gonna get lost......
MommyTo4Kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: