Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #31
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

OK, maybe Im missing something but why wouldn't they trust their teachers? Because of a "20 minute hoax"? They played a video, it ended with the teachers idea of a lesson. Who is that lead to not trusting their teachers?

If the "innocent" kids are mad, they should direct it at their guilty classmates. I don't know but if my kid came home with this story, I would have laughed and told him "serves you all right".
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post

Well Said!
Are you saying they *all* were guilty snooping, and *all* deserved it? If so, I missed the part about the *whole* class being snoopers??
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Maybe you have bigger issues. As an adult, have you ever anticipated something, and then it couldn't happen? A *tad* upsetting, right? For the record, these would be 13 yr olds.

Most, if not all, *would* have been aware, as news like that would have spread like wild fire from the *snoopers*.

It went as far as saying how many would be in a hotel room together, teacher got *cheap* airfares, etc.

They also felt very foolish in the eyes of other students for being *taken*.
You can have your opinion, but I've had 3 *13* year olds, and I can say the meanness of this act is *worse* at 13 than at 5. Little ones get hurt (get over it fast, though wouldn't want it to happen to them either) not so when you are at this age in life with all the other things they are going through.

Maybe you do not have/had a 13 year old, or watched them face disappointments not of their making from an authority figure?
I have a 14 year old, a daughter at that. So I've seen her go through plenty of disappointment. Some at the hands of my wife and I, some from her siblings, some from teachers & coaches. Disappointment is a fact of life. Is this disappointment really that big a deal? Again, if the kids hadn't "known" they were going to Disney World, would they have been as disappointed?

And what article are you reading that talks about what was in the presentation (number of kids in the room, cheap airfare)?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx
OK, maybe Im missing something but why wouldn't they trust their teachers? Because of a "20 minute hoax"? They played a video, it ended with the teachers idea of a lesson. Who is that lead to not trusting their teachers?

If the "innocent" kids are mad, they should direct it at their guilty classmates. I don't know but if my kid came home with this story, I would have laughed and told him "serves you all right".
It doesn't really matter if they still trust their teachers. It isn't necessary.

I find that 13 year olds tend to hold grudges and make black and white decisions even though they are capable of gray! . My opinion.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
I'm curious where you got this information. I can't find anything that says what was in the slide show except a mention of "palm trees".
There has been a long thread on one if the other boards. Some posters there live in the area and are hearing things from people closer to the story.

So some of that could be exaggeration and rumor.

The only common thing is that one student saw a brochure, not the 60 kids shown the presentation.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #36
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

If the teachers knew who was doing the snooping, she could have just left something saying this kid wasn't going to pass or that he/she was going to get some kind of fake award--"Class Snooper" maybe?

I don't know, just something that was more driven at the kid that was snooping.

ETA: I don't think this is a life changing event and some day the kids will laugh about it. I just don't like class punishments.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!

Last edited by luvsJack; 02-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #37
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you saying they *all* were guilty snooping, and *all* deserved it? If so, I missed the part about the *whole* class being snoopers??
No. I did not say that. No one has said that. What the class (as a whole) *IS* guilty of (at the most) is believing a rumor that has no basis in fact. Did their belief in that rumor affect how disappointed/hurt/whatever they are? If they didn't believe the rumor, how was this such a traumatizing event?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
If someone lies to me, I am going to be mad at that person, not some other person that kept me in the loop regarding things that he heard/learned.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #39
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post

It wasn't a 20 min hoax, it was a week long thing. As for not trusting the teachers I could see students be a litte weary of what the teachers say going foward. Say the teachers say they are having pizza as a treat for lunch today, there may be some kids that would doubt that the teachers were serious and think it was another trick.

I don't think I would have a problem with this if it was a large portion of the class they thought was snooping, but it was ONE kid that they thought was.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon
No. I did not say that. No one has said that. What the class (as a whole) *IS* guilty of (at the most) is believing a rumor that has no basis in fact. Did their belief in that rumor affect how disappointed/hurt/whatever they are? If they didn't believe the rumor, how was this such a traumatizing event?
So if you heard a rumor at work that layoffs were coming, and you got called in to a meeting where they started talking about unemployment benefits, you wouldn't start to believe it? And then if the employer said it was a hoax to stop rumors, you wouldn't be upset? Wow, I'm impressed.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
So if you heard a rumor at work that layoffs were coming, and you got called in to a meeting where they started talking about unemployment benefits, you wouldn't start to believe it? And then if the employer said it was a hoax to stop rumors, you wouldn't be upset? Wow, I'm impressed.
Actually, I'd be relieved that layoffs WEREN'T in the offering.

If the kids hadn't heard the rumor, would they be as disappointed & "traumatized"? I think that's where joviroxx is getting the "20 minutes" from.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyannaMom View Post
I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.
I agree. The stuff on the desk would be fine. The slide presentation was too much and I would likely be "annoyed," although unlikely to be "outraged."

(As an aside, at a previous company that I worked for, the lease on the building we used was expiring. The company called all the employees into the auditorium to talk about the lease. The executive team presented three options they'd considered: closing the office and combining operations with our parent company (out of state); moving the office to a new development on the other side of town; or renewing the existing lease. They REALLY made it sound like we were moving to the other side of town, but in the end they said "Surprise! We've renewed this lease for another 10 years!" Their "joke" just managed to annoy everyone. Some people were thrilled with the prospect of moving and were furious that it had been promised and revoked. Some were very upset at the prospect of moving and were furious that they'd "been played." I didn't have a strong reaction (I live between the two proposed sites), but still felt annoyed that they'd toyed with us. )

I think the teachers taking an active part in the deception was a bad idea all around (leaving the brochure was passive, but the slide show was active). It sounds like the teachers made a bad call on the joke. Going bowling in your home town would have sounded like a fun field trip, if the prospect of WDW hadn't been on the table.

Last edited by design_mom; 02-22-2013 at 11:14 AM.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #43
joviroxx

Quote:
Maybe you have bigger issues. As an adult, have you ever anticipated something, and then it couldn't happen? A *tad* upsetting, right? For the record, these would be 13 yr olds.

Most, if not all, *would* have been aware, as news like that would have spread like wild fire from the *snoopers*.

It went as far as saying how many would be in a hotel room together, teacher got *cheap* airfares, etc.

They also felt very foolish in the eyes of other students for being *taken*.
You can have your opinion, but I've had 3 *13* year olds, and I can say the meanness of this act is *worse* at 13 than at 5. Little ones get hurt (get over it fast, though wouldn't want it to happen to them either) not so when you are at this age in life with all the other things they are going through.

Maybe you do not have/had a 13 year old, or watched them face disappointments not of their making from an authority figure?
I have a 15yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter. I know exactly what these kids are like. I'm surrounded by them all the time. I also know that we are raising "weak" kids. Get over it and move on. Its a trip to Disney with anticipation that lasted that length of a slide show. If this causes such emotional distress, Im sorry, but that is frightening to me. Its also a lesson FOR THE KIDS, not the teachers.

I can also see the amount of kids that are just mad and loving that fact that their teachers are getting in trouble. I get that they weren't all guilty, but I like the lesson of keeping each other in check. If someone else is messing up, it can affect you. Stop treating teenagers as if they are fragile glass figurines.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #44
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

This is part of what is wrong in education today. First of all, don't put stuff on your desk thatt can't be seen. It's out in the open and kids are likely to see it, accidentially or on purpose. Secondly, act like adults and treat the students with respect so they will learn to respect others. There was NO respect in this situation. If there was "snooping" that was a perfect teachable moment but the teacher sure messed that up. Talk with the student about respecting privacy. Instead the teacher stooped to the teens level and that was unfortunate.
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #45
joviroxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Actually, I'd be relieved that layoffs WEREN'T in the offering.

If the kids hadn't heard the rumor, would they be as disappointed & "traumatized"? I think that's where joviroxx is getting the "20 minutes" from.
Yes, exactly. Those that had a bigger disappointment were those involved in snooping or hearing about the snooping. It was an assumption the kids had based on snooping, not a lie from a teacher.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: