Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #16
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Regarding the parents who were upset, did they think the school was paying for this trip? They would have been stuck doing fundraisers.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

OK, flame me all you want but that last line in the article was ridiculous. "I do believe the teachers have realized the gravity of it". For pete's sake, it was a trip to Disney, and it was a disappointment, but it wasn't grave. Why do we keep treating our kids (14 year olds at that) like some fragile creatures.

I don't know the details of why the teachers did this. Maybe there was had been a repeated snooping issue, maybe not. But to call is GRAVE is a bit over the top as well.

Bottom line, if they hadn't been snooping and rumors flown, the slide presentation wouldn't have created a big disappointment. There is a lesson to be learned here by the kids as well and now, we will jump on the teachers, and the kids responsibility in this will be lost.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB
Regarding the parents who were upset, did they think the school was paying for this trip? They would have been stuck doing fundraisers.
The parents were upset that the kids were tricked. None of them even knew about it.

One kid even spoke up during the presentation and asked about the plane tickets because he was worried about the expense the teachers told him that they got extremely cheap fares.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Well, that teacher just lost all credibility. She's a liar, no better than the alleged snooping student. IMO, she should be disciplined by the principal.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
The slideshow went a little too far IMO, but filming the kids' reactions was way over the line.

But in the end, how were these kids really hurt? So they were disappointed, but they learned a lesson. It's hardly something that would have caused me to be "enraged." I would probably tell my kids that they should not have snooped, and should not have believed information that came to them via snooping.
So, what about the ones that weren't guilty? Do you remember what you felt at that age? Well, I do, and it's been many moons ago. I would have been one of those children (that didn't snoop) that would have been *on top of the world* for the opportunity to go to Disney. You posted like the whole class was guilty.

Children that age (13) are in an emotional turmoil already. They don't need any *authority* figure to lead them on so outrageously.

Don't know if you have a young teen, or where in this he/she would have been (guilty/not), but I feel their pain/confusion/hurt.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog
Well, that teacher just lost all credibility. She's a liar, no better than the alleged snooping student. IMO, she should be disciplined by the principal.
They should start a rumor that the 2 teachers and 3 student teachers are going to get fired and leave pink slips sitting out on the principals desk...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

I don't think the teachers should lose their jobs or anything like that, but they should have used better judgement. Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't be that upset. Although, pranks are the norm in our family. I could see how others would be upset by this.

Here's a link to an article that has a short video with comments by students, a parent, and a school official...

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/some-paren...trip-1.1165260
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
So, what about the ones that weren't guilty? Do you remember what you felt at that age? Well, I do, and it's been many moons ago. I would have been one of those children (that didn't snoop) that would have been *on top of the world* for the opportunity to go to Disney. You posted like the whole class was guilty.

Children that age are in an emotional turmoil already. They don't need any *authority* figure to lead them on so outrageously.

Don't know if you have a young teen, or where in this he/she would have been (guilty/not), but I feel their pain/confusion/hurt.
If the teen hadn't "known " about it, a short slide show wasn't going to cause him emotional confusion or hurt of disappointment. If , because of the snooping there was additional anticipation, that's not on the teacher.

These kids aren't 5, the are 14. They hadn't been promised a trip and then had it taken away after weeks of planning and fund raising. They hadn't been thinking about this trip for a year. The teachers didn't show this slide show and then keep it going for weeks. If they can't handle a "disappointment" from a short slide show, we have bigger issues.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

If the teachers recorded it, then they obviously knew that the students would have strong reactions.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #25
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
If the teen hadn't "known " about it, a short slide show wasn't going to cause him emotional confusion or hurt of disappointment. If , because of the snooping there was additional anticipation, that's not on the teacher.

These kids aren't 5, the are 14. They hadn't been promised a trip and then had it taken away after weeks of planning and fund raising. They hadn't been thinking about this trip for a year. The teachers didn't show this slide show and then keep it going for weeks. If they can't handle a "disappointment" from a short slide show, we have bigger issues.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Were the brochures and form hidden or were they lying on the desk so that anyone that went by the desk could see them. If it was the latter I don't really consider that snooping. It would be hard not to notice Disney brochures lying there.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #27
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I'd agree that 13 year olds are a mess in general. The whole class didn't snoop and trusted their teachers. They won't now. Especially since the story has been told and retold and videoed.

They will survive, and move on to a different class next year.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
One kid even spoke up during the presentation and asked about the plane tickets because he was worried about the expense the teachers told him that they got extremely cheap fares.
I'm curious where you got this information. I can't find anything that says what was in the slide show except a mention of "palm trees".
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well Said!
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Maybe you have bigger issues. As an adult, have you ever anticipated something, and then it couldn't happen? A *tad* upsetting, right? For the record, these would be 13 yr olds.

Most, if not all, *would* have been aware, as news like that would have spread like wild fire from the *snoopers*.

It went as far as saying how many would be in a hotel room together, teacher got *cheap* airfares, etc.

They also felt very foolish in the eyes of other students for being *taken*.
You can have your opinion, but I've had 3 *13* year olds, and I can say the meanness of this act is *worse* at 13 than at 5. Little ones get hurt (get over it fast, though wouldn't want it to happen to them either) not so when you are at this age in life with all the other things they are going through.

Maybe you do not have/had a 13 year old, or watched them face disappointments not of their making from an authority figure?
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: