Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
NikkiFB
Earning My Ears

MONDAY 1/21: Castaway Cay

I was up really early this morning, so I stood out on our verandah and watched the sun rise and wondered if one of the islands I was seeing was Castaway Cay.

The free mini-facial we won in the spa raffle was only redeemable on port days; I’d scheduled it for first thing in the morning on our Castaway Cay day. (Though I was thankful for the freebie, this restriction was a bit frustrating when we only had 2.5 port days on this trip, and one of them was Castaway Cay and one was WDW.) After a quick breakfast with the boys at Topsiders I headed to the other end of deck 9 and the spa. I wore my CC clothes (swimsuit & coverup with capris) so I’d be ready to head straight to the beach with the family asap after my appointment. I was given an info form to fill out, then taken back to change into a robe and to leave my stuff in a locker. After a few minutes the spa tech came and collected me and took me into the treatment room. We had a bit of discussion about my regular skincare routine (which, not surprisingly, was declared to be not good enough ). The tech was very nice, and the treatment (about 30+ minutes of cleaning, moisturizing, mask, scalp massage) was pleasant. “Relaxing and enjoying” is not my strong suit, but it was fine----and the part I was dreading, the Life-Saving-Product schtick, was actually not bad. She told me about two different products, a cleanser that was $30-something, and a combo moisturizer/night cream/eye cream that was $70-something…. certainly more expensive than what I typically use, but not off the charts and not as bad as I was expecting after Scott’s experience!!

As soon as I was done, I met the boys back in our room and we were ready to head out to Castaway Cay. By the time we got out there, at about 9:15, there was no crowd leaving the ship, and we made our leisurely way to the family beach, stopping periodically to snap photos.

We dropped our stuff on a chair at the first big family beach area, then Scott and DS1 went off to rent a kayak. DS2 and I walked about knee-deep into the water (brrrr!!), watched the fish swim around our feet for about 2 minutes, and then he declared he needed to go to the bathroom. Of course. And of course, I didn’t bother to notice there was a bathroom just a stone’s throw away, so instead we went on a little “explore” and ended up at the restrooms aaaalllll the way down by the games area. This ended up being a nice time… there was NO ONE there, and DS2 got to have the putting green all to himself, and we played a very intense game of giant checkers. By the time we finished, it had gotten a lot warmer; we went looking for a drink of water, and instead found the ice-cream cone machine! Perfect! When we got back to our stuff/chair, DH and DS1 were back-----and not very happy. DS2 was hot, tired, and crabby already. DS1 wanted to go to the kids’ club area (Scuttles Cove) and though DS2 didn’t really want to (he didn’t want to do ANYthing, really!) we talked him into it and dropped them off there, trusting the counselors, the readily available cups of water, and the low-key play to snap him out of his funk. We let the kids know we’d be back to get them for lunchtime, then we hustled to Serenity Bay!!!

We had to walk a bit for the SB tram, but we got there with about an hour to spend before we needed to collect the kids. First stop was the bar, where I got a Konk Kooler (peer pressure after reading so much about them on the DIS!) and Scott got a Deep Blue Sea. Then we took our drinks over to the beach, and dragged a couple of chairs down to the water’s edge. It was gorgeous, quiet, and tremendously blue!!

We enjoyed our drinks (though mine was a bit too sweet for me; I wish I’d gotten a Deep Blue Sea instead), relaxed, walked out among the fish and coral…. then asked some folks to take our picture before we caught the tram back to Scuttle’s Cove.

The kids *could* have had lunch with the kids’ club folks, but we really wanted to eat together, so we picked them up and then went to Cookies. It was busy but not overly crowded or crazy, and we didn’t have any trouble finding a table. We really enjoyed the food, and about ¾ of the way through our meal, we heard familiar voices-----Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto had come out (timed to a soundtrack, so they talked!!!) and did a whole island-y song-and-dance-and-skit thing. DS2 couldn’t wait to go see them, but when we got there he would only watch, and not join in the dance. Still, he can’t resist the opportunity to see his friends up close! When that was over, we went back and finished lunch and made a plan for the afternoon: Scott and the boys would go play games. I would find a hammock and relax and wait for them. Then we’d do some shopping (DS1 wanted a shark tooth necklace) and then get an ice cream and make our way back to the ship.

So we did. They headed to In-Da-Shade Games. I stretched out on a hammock, expecting to see them back in 30 minutes……. and they showed up about an hour and a half later (at least---I wasn’t wearing a watch!). We were apparently on “island time”! I wished I'd had my Nook with me so I could read, but just relaxing, drinking a cold Corona Light, and getting a nice slow sunburn (unintentionally!! LOL) worked just fine for me. This was my lovely view:

When they came back, DS2 and I went for a little cooling-off dip (DS1 did NOT like being in the water with fish! LOL), then we went to find that shark-tooth necklace. We’d hoped to find the ice cream machines going, but as we went back toward the ship, they’d already been closed down (this was probably about 3 p.m.). We took a few more pictures as we approached the ship.

After boarding, we quickly went to our room to change clothes, then went to the Buena Vista Theater to catch “Frankenweenie” in 3D! On the way there we bumped into another special friend...

When the movie ended we went back to clean up for dinner; I put the long lens on my camera and caught a few "going-away" pictures of Castaway Cay from our verandah before we went down to dinner at Lumiere’s!

At dinner, we helped our table neighbors celebrate a birthday, then went straight to bed to try to rest up for our next really big day!!
NikkiFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
mickeydavis
Earning My Ears

Love your TR. My DH and I are doing this same cruise in May without our 3 DD I know I should be happy but I'm definitely going to miss them. Can't wait to hear about you day at WDW. (GREAT PICS!!)

Last edited by mickeydavis; 02-23-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
mickeydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: