DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Smile A bit confused

Hi, I've just joined dis today, although I have browsed quite a bit in the past. I've been reading a lot of the dvc posts as we're thinking about buying a resale. Although I love BC we're considering buying SS (which we've never seen) as its close to DTD and you get more points for less and it's cheaper for annual dues. I do hope we would be able to stay at BCV at some point again though, as we would be hoping to book either may or mid to end of August and I don't think this is a particular busy time so hopefully should get at the 7 month mark.
Anyway that is just a bit of background, I have been reading the post about people who have gotten past ROFR and I am a bit confused. Am I correct in thinking that these are people who have been successful in buying resales and they have got them at the price per point indicated? These prices all seem a lot lower than the sites I have been looking at (I don't know if I can name the sites but it seems to be the three big ones and another I saw mentioned on dis). Also do they indicate that the seller agreed to pay annual dues as all the sites seem to say I would be responsible for this years annual due.
If I do decide to go ahead and buy should I make an offer quite a bit lower than the price as going off the list some of them are $10 per point less?
We don't intend going until may2014 and as travelling from uk will probably be two weeks at a time and every other year so thinking we probably need about 250points.
Thanks for any help.
Jobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #2
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

In resale you can offer what you consider to be a fair price. Seller can counter, or hold tight. Depending on how many offers you want to make before you find your property will help you set a price you are willing to wait for. We are ROFR for a SSR property we offered 50 on a 60 per pt contract and settled at 53. It was loaded with 320 2012 and all of 320 of 2013. We have stayed at SSR in past and loved it so we bought there. I did not like BC when we stayed there so it is a personal choice you make. SSR is laid back and that fits some people. BCV is hard to get in at 7 months most of the time and impossible other times. Buy where you know you will like. Good Luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Thank you.
Think we will like SS, besides that we can't afford as many points at BCV as we would need. BWV would be an option but although I liked boardwalk I'm not so keen on the pool area and very busy to stay in.
Am I right in thinking a loaded contact goes for more? A loaded one would be no good for us as thinking we want as use year of about march/April and so any points would be wasted as we're not going until may 14.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

SSR is laid back which we enjoyed. Loaded contracts are more valuable, but deals are around. You can always bank points into 2014 or possibly rent them. A stripped contract is normally less.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Is a stripped contract one with no points for the current year? Possibly wouldn't bother me as going in 2014 and then unsure if will we 2015 or 2016.
Is it easy to rent points out?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Caren90
DIS Veteran

I would suggest renting points and "trying out" a few different resorts before you consider purchasing. DVC is a long term commitment whereas renting, although possibly a bit risky (I have never had a problem), commits you to only that vacation.

Stephen
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
XGrumpy1
DIS Veteran

I consider a stripped contract to have no points from last years allotment, no points from this years allotment and next years points were already borrowed and have been used.

A stopped contact will be slightly cheaper, but consider a contract with points, you are buying to be able to go to WDW, not wait for 1-2 years!
XGrumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

I did think about renting but unfortunately coming from uk it's not something we can do just for a few days. Also the cost of renting for 12 nights is quite substantial and could go towards the purchase of points.
I agree it is risky never having seen SS but the closeness of DTD is quite a plus and I can't see us hating it. I suppose you never know.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Thanks XGrumpy,I don't want a stripped then as I want next years points, just not bothered about this years as not going and it saves the annual fee.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
I did think about renting but unfortunately coming from uk it's not something we can do just for a few days. Also the cost of renting for 12 nights is quite substantial and could go towards the purchase of points.
I agree it is risky never having seen SS but the closeness of DTD is quite a plus and I can't see us hating it. I suppose you never know.
You can find contracts with various levels of points shop around. We like SSR but it is a ways from parks so bus ride no walking. You can walk to DDT. It is accessible at 7 month mark so the 11 month advantage is not really needed. Renting is easy we never had a problem with ours. 12 nights would be a good amount to use towards purchasing. Just remember that the MF are every year that is the cost that is ongoing as well as vacation expenses themselves. Buying in is the cheap part.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I think I read somewhere in the forums that a guy from Canada had to close on the property in Florida to comply with real estate laws. You should research that as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
Is a stripped contract one with no points for the current year? Possibly wouldn't bother me as going in 2014 and then unsure if will we 2015 or 2016.
Is it easy to rent points out?
Technically it doesn't matter if you get the points you need and will use. However, stripped contracts are rarely enough less to make up the difference. The reasons are that they don't tend to drop the pice enough to adjust for the lost points figured at say $10 a point including the maint fees and that banked and borrowed points generally only increase the price marginally plus there are usually little or no fees expected on those points. Side by side a stripped contract is almost always relatively more expensive. Now sometimes it may be the only way to get what you want so the relative difference becomes moot. If you can get a stripped contract for a comparable price and a reasonable fee situation they are likely a better deal because you have advance options on every points in the contract.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

Thank you all, lots to think about.
I've been on the phone to disney but no one seems to be able to tell me if there is any availability at beach club for the last two weeks of August this year. I thought that would give me an indication of whether we would be able to book at other resorts.
What she did tell me was lots of horror stories about people who didn't but direct from disney being ripped off. Is a bit of a worry but such a big price difference.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Did she happen to go into details about how they were ripped off? If we understand the difference between the two it should be OK, so just curious what she meant?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Jobelly
Earning My Ears

She said that the company only check the points at the start so people have closed and then went to book their holiday only to find that the sellers have used the points between listing and closing and they're no longer available!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: