Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #76
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4

We decided to go to rope drop at DCA again and see Mickey Mouse club house show for the kids. The line was kind of long but should be expected for a Friday. We got there about 9:15am and the check in was going a bit long,

DSC01401 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01403 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

It was about 10:15 before we finally got into the park. Everyone made a beeline to soarin and TSMM while I cut left and headed towards Mickey Mouse Club house. There wasn't anybody there at first. So I line up in front of Taste pilot and wait because I guess the other side of the park wasn't open yet.

DSC01420 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

It was pretty windy that day, I remember I had to chase my kids blanket a couple times. I waited and chatted with a couple of CM's about leap day. They didn't see any of the drunk I experienced but they said it happens a lot with special late night events like that at DLR. I forgot their names but they seemed pretty happy to be at work.

DSC01424 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

As we were waiting, a huge crowd made there way over to the same area. I didn't realize its better to line up on the right because thats the side they let you in first. So of course we fall to the middle of the crowd. Another note is while waiting, I guess a group of cheerleaders were in line and the CM's had convinced them to give a mini performance. Sure enough the girls got out there and did a Disney themed cheer. Was pretty cool, my daughter has since told me she wants to be a cheerleader.

Here is a pic of some of the crowd

DSC01426 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

and there they go

DSC01430 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

I don't know why, but I really love this show. So do my kids, they ask for this show at the beginning of the trip but had to wait till the last day. We got in and I took a few pics. I don't know if I need to explain the show, but its all the Disney Jr big shows thrown together in a puppet show. Its interactive and has some pretty cool surprises.

DSC01432 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01434 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

His first time seeing this show while knowing the characters.

DSC01453 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Her second one but she knew what to do,

DSC01454 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

after we decided that it would be a kids day, do what they wanted and it was pretty fun that way.

Bella w/ Zeke at DAC by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

My middle boy flipped when he saw Jake

DSC01485 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

We took a trip inside the animation building only to find out it Beast library was closed down. I was looking so much exploring this place again. But we got some nice photos of movie poster for upcoming releases(at the time)

DSC01499 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01516 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01519 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

I love this thing

DSC01510 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

So not being able to walk through the best part of the building, we had to figure out what to do next......

DSC01522 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

To Be Cont..........
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #77
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Yeah, Sherry. You pretty much nailed it. Thats how I feel most of the time, and why I stopped for so long. I work full time, school half time, gym 3-4 times a week, have kids and a wife, homework, house work, writing songs for an upcoming project. I love posting on here to share my Disney trips because it also makes me feel like I'm on the trip again. I guess I'll just keep it going, and see where it goes. It's just crazy when I see yours, Glenbo, Diznee, and many other awesome trip reports, I wonder if I'm missing something that people want to see.
Who is Glenbo? That's a trip report I'm not familiar with!

None of us are reinventing the wheel with these reports. We're simply being ourselves and posting photos. The audience for our reports will ebb and flow, as I mentioned previously.

Honestly, I had a spike in followers and commenters when I did the Cars Land/Buena Vista Street preview last June and quickly began posting photos - simply because I was the first person (or one of the first people) to start posting extensive Cars Land photos in the TR section and people were curious. I also had a spike in followers when I went to DLR on the first day of the holiday season last November because, again, I was the first one to start posting extensive Cars Land/Buena Vista Street Christmas photos in the TR forum and people were curious.

After the November holiday day trip, though, a lot of people disappeared and were not around when I did my December 2012 report. Add to that the fact that several others were doing holiday trip reports too and I didn't stand a chance at picking up extra/new readers because the readers' attention was drawn to other reports (no matter how many photos I posted).

So that novelty factor has a lot to do with it. If there are only one or two holiday TR's going on, it's a sure bet that people will speak up. If there are many holiday TR's going on at the same time, the readers pick the reports they want to stick with and avoid the others!

A lot of the TR 'audience' has to do with timing, too. If your TR is at or near the top of the page for a while, on a regular basis, people will automatically see it when they come to the TR forum and will be curious to take a look because it's active. If the TR forum is really hoppin' and a lot of people are doing reports, thus causing yours to drop down the page rapidly, fewer people will see your TR because I think that a lot of folks do not look past a certain point on the page (probably not past 15 or 20 reports down, I would guess). A lot of TR writers will bump their reports just so that they don't drop down the page and become invisible.

Some of it also has to do with promotion - Laurie/DizNee Luver, for example, promotes her TR's on Facebook. There are other DIS'ers who mainly stay on the WDW side of this board but when it comes time to do a Disneyland TR they bring their WDW followers with them to the DLR side of the board. So, promotion is key. You could always start a thread on the main Disneyland planning forum, saying "I started a trip report! Please come and join me!" A lot of people have done that - and it usually succeeds in attracting followers.

Finally, another thing I have observed is that too much of anything can be a bad thing. I see it in my own reports and in other folks' reports. If I write too much, people tune out. No one wants to read too much. If I don't write too much but instead post hundreds and hundreds of photos, people can tune out then too, or their comments get less frequent. I think that people generally have limited time to devote to reports, so even though posting a lot of photos is good there can come a point where people start to get quiet or tune out if there are too many photos. As DIS'er tksbaskets once said, it's good to find a balance between photos and prose!

So it's kind of all about timing, promotion and balance of narrative and photos!

It also doesn't hurt to find photo subjects or perspectives on subjects that are not the norm. Ever since 2010 I have gotten in a habit of trying to take at least a couple of photos that are original, or come from a different perspective/angle. On this past December trip I was all about the Mardi Gras masks, photographing them in detail. I wasn't the first person to get mask photos, but mine were the first in-depth ones I had seen. Sometimes my ideas are successful and people like them (some folks even copy the ideas), and sometimes they are clunkers - but at least I try to come up with different ideas here and there. I don't like to just take photos of what I've seen others take photos of - I like to try to put my own stamp on a lot of the pictures if I can manage it.

You have a good eye for photo subjects (as evidenced by all of the photos you have posted in this thread thus far), so it should not be hard for you to come up with interesting, original and imaginative ideas!

You'll pick up followers - I know you will!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 02-02-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #78
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4 part 2

Well after feeling so tired and spent from being sick we decided to start with a couple of shows. We started with Muppets, which we absolutely love. It was Zeke's first time seeing the show and he loved it. He is a big Kermit fan and would light up every time he was on the screen. But after seeing the 3d dude(forgot his name) he took off his 3D glasses.

I love the detail in this place

DSC01524 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Where statler and waldorf put on their show

DSC01525 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

After a show whats better than.....Another show!

DSC01526 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Great show but a bit intense and loud for little ones.

DSC01528 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Afterwards we decided to have one last theme park meal for the trip at Pacific Wharf cafe. This place was so yummy! In fact so yummy I didn't take any pictures of my Clam Chowder bowl and my wifes turkey sandwiches. The lines do get long but the atmosphere, service and theme really make you feel like you are transported off property somewhere at a beach restaurant. After Lunch I was so tired I went back to the Hotel and took a nap.....but not before facing my fears and boarding Cali Screamin. I will say, I overhyped this ride. I hate drops and loops but Disney made this ride perfect, fun enough to please the hardcore but not too crazy were novice coaster riders would be forever intimidated. Well nap time.....

But here are some picks my wife took while I rested.

DSC01538 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01540 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01542 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01544 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01547 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

My little funny man

DSC01549 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01553 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

I'll be back soon to update and finish this TR and possibly start my 2013 PTR???????
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #79
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Who is Glenbo? That's a trip report I'm not familiar with!
Glennbo123 has some really big TR's on the WDW side. He takes some really cool pics and his TR's really make you feel like you're there. I think thats the key too. But yeah, I'm just gonna keep on with this. Only have the last part of the day and leaving home incident.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #80
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Day 4 part 3-The finale

After napping and dinner at Mcdonalds we all met up to finally catch World of Color. Please excuse the lack of pics but I wanted to enjoy it with my kids. I will say, the seating was kind of odd, they told us blue was good but when we got in there was people already in front of us. I guess those who paid for preferred seating? But it seemed it wouldn't be an issue till people started standing on the stairs right in front of us, so I had to put my daughter on my back the whole show(not ideal). But after it started it was awesome! Filled with some awesome Disney moments, it really is magical. Before we left we had to ride Little Mermaid.

My view

DSC01617 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

New DCA favorite!

DSC01626 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01630 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01632 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

One last adventure

DSC01559 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01562 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01563 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

After DCA kicked us out, my brother volunteered to take the boy back and rest. But would take them to buy their last souvenirs. Meanwhile DW, DD, and myself would just walk around DLR one last time. While on the DL Railroad me and the wife worked hard and convincing Bella to get on BTMRR but alas, nothing we offered would get her to go on. So we compromised and with a churro as a bribe, we got her to agree to one last Pirates ride, but while purchasing one said churro we noticed that there was a large crowd for Fantasmic but a big area where people were not yet lined up so we said forget pirates, and we got a spot for fantasmic. Epic!

But once again I had to put my girl on my shoulders so only got one picture.

DSC01653 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

After the show we ended it with some last minute gift shopping.

DSC01666 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

It was a very sad thing, as usual, spending these last few moments in DLR. We took our time strolling through the Main Street stores.

DSC01666 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

A good bye shot

DSC01674 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC01695 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Day 5- The wrap up

We had forgotten a couple people the night before so my wife decided to walk back to DTD before we left. Well, she came back short of breath and empty handed. They told her Everything was shut down due to a Bomb threat? I quickly turned on the news to find out it was actually due to a empty back full with a hidden message someone threw up there but was considered a suspicious package. So after the exciting set of news we packed up and headed home. Its been close to a year since this trip and I cannot wait to get back.

Here is what my DS2 chose

DSC01699 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Another one of my favorite pics this trip. Uncle and Nino(Godfather) with his nephew and godson

pnutzekedlr2011 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Thanks for Joining and hope to take you along on the next adventure!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #81
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Pre Trip report for 6-21 to 6-29 trip

Ok, we are going in late June for my daughters first summer vacation. The plan is to stay at the PPH the first couple nights as we cannot afford to do it for the whole trip. After that we will be staying at either the Tropicana Inn or Best Western PPI. There will be 2 character meals (Ariels Grotto, and the other undecided). We will be using the So Cal city pass, so there will be Universal Studios and Seaworld pics in this TR. This will be a special trip as its the first we wont feel guilty about as we worked our butts off to get we are and we can finally afford to take this trip. I will admit my last 2 trips I probably could have used the money for other things, but this trip is now that other things as we paid off a lot of debts, buying our first house, and have our careers going.

Here are some pics with my camera with the new Lens.

DSC02355 by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

DSC02380 by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

DSC02431 _Snapseed by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

DSC02514 by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

A locket with a picture of my late aunt. All the little girls got one this year.

DSC02757 by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

DSC02716 _Snapseed by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr

DSC02712 by Rocklobsta85, on Flickr
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #82
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Well some changes I had to make. We will only be staying 2 nights at the PPH. This is due to us making a trip to Vegas in July, and wanting a nice hotel their too. So we cut a couple thing out of our DLR trip budget. The other being only 1 character meal. And it will most likely be Surfs Up!. After reading its seems the best choice for our family as its the only one to have Mickey and all 3 kids love Mickey so it's a no brainer. Well off to bed, only 4 months to go!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #83
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Well, its 3 months and 3 weeks to go. Saturday was Bellas 6th bday party. Some more changes have been made. We are changing it from 4 nights at PPH to just 2, and 1 less character meal to save more money for our Vegas trip. Both are special to us. Here are some pics of my daughter party. My wife made a Wreck it Ralph cake. It has a bowl in the middle that was filled with diet coke and when we blew out the candles, the mentos were dropped in(just enough to make it sizzle).

DSC03118 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03123 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03125 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03127 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03141 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03145 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03156 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Grandma and Great Grandma

DSC03159 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Cousin Joe(head of chess club...really!)

DSC03160 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Birthday girl with Bday haircut

DSC03161 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Cousin Alyssa(cinderella for short

DSC03162 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03163 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Nina bought matching shoes

DSC03164 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03165 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

Hope this video works
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77607181@N05/8501160735/

DSC03168 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

New bath robe and nite light

DSC03188 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

DSC03208 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr

She waited a few months for this one.

DSC03210 by Markie Mouse, on Flickr
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #84
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Well thats it for today. Have to work in the AM, I hope these next 3 months go by quick. They should though as we are buying a house and a car. 2 lengthy process's.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #85
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Taxes in today! Will update about what we go with.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #86
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Need some help deciding, I can afford PPH but it will cut into food and souvenir budget, I know I've stated how much Diznee Luver influenced my trip and I want to stay, but does staying there really add $945 of magic?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #87
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

anyone???
Old 02-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #88
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I've been staying at the PPH since 2000 (that was when the Disneyland Hotel's prices rose and I realized that the PPH was a cheaper option). I really like it.

My last 3 PPH stays were very lucky in that I got free room upgrades to park view rooms each time (whereas DizNee Luver paid for her park view room in December and for this current Feb/March trip. But she shared my 2011 room, so she benefited from that free upgrade!). I don't know if I would actually pay for a view room - no matter how much I enjoyed the view - if money was even a slight concern. I might pay for a view. I might not. But I would still want to stay onsite.

I am a seasoned PPH veteran (and have also stayed at DLH and GCH), but I don't necessarily think it's for everyone. For me, it adds to the 'magic' of the whole trip to stay onsite (and especially when there's a free upgrade). However, I don't think that everyone views it that way. There is definitely a solid argument for saving money on the hotel and spending it elsewhere. You may end up shelling out the money and not feeling that it was worth it - and then you'll never get that money back.

And, as for Goofy's Kitchen - I don't know if you'll end up there or not, but I think I mentioned to you in my TR a while back that there is usually at least one Princess in the restaurant (and often times 2 Princesses). Goofy's is the only other character meal besides Ariel's that has any Princesses, so that could be a benefit for you...and the huge buffet, with many options for the whole family, doesn't hurt.

However, Mickey is at Surf's Up - and how can you beat meeting Mickey?

The Goofy's buffet is much larger than the Surf's Up buffet or the Storytellers Critter Breakfast buffet.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #89
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks SherryE, thats exactly what I'm struggling with. It costs $800 more to do 2 nights at the PPH, and while we budgeted about $5k total for this trip(gas, hotel, tickets, meals, and souvenirs) it still feels irresponsible to spend $400+/night for a hotel that we'll see maybe 12 hours of our 1 week trip......But, that View!!! Oh man, choices.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #90
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
Thanks SherryE, thats exactly what I'm struggling with. It costs $800 more to do 2 nights at the PPH, and while we budgeted about $5k total for this trip(gas, hotel, tickets, meals, and souvenirs) it still feels irresponsible to spend $400+/night for a hotel that we'll see maybe 12 hours of our 1 week trip......But, that View!!! Oh man, choices.
The view is wonderful (especially at sunrise and at night, when the DCA lights are twinkling). The funny thing is that when I noticed I had gotten a free upgrade to a view room in 2010, I spent more time in the room...just staring out the window! I don't know that I would have been staring out the window as much if not for that view! I kept gravitating towards the window every time I was in the room. In 2011, I shared my room with DizNee Luver and 2 other people so I didn't spend as much time enjoying the view even though I was upgraded again. And in 2012 I was back at the window once again, admiring the DCA view!

But...I'm an oddball. Most normal people and families are not going to be lingering around the window for large chunks of time, staring out at DCA from the PPH. As you said, maybe 12 hours of your trip will be spent at the hotel.

I would think that if the difference in expense was only a couple hundred bucks - or even $300 - to stay at the PPH instead of staying off-property, it might be more worthwhile to those who are unsure of whether or not to stay onsite.

An $800 difference, however, is a big deal! That could go for more character meals or more souvenirs.

I think that even some folks who have stayed onsite are not necessarily sure that it was worth it. I've read some reviews in which the people posted that they enjoyed it (whichever Disney hotel it was) but that they were not sure if they'd do it again because the price is so high. Whereas, other folks end up staying onsite and never want to stay anywhere else. (Even Laurie/DizNee Luver keeps going back to the PPH, even when she thinks she is going to stay off-property!)

So, again, I am definitely in the pro-staying onsite camp (when I have the money available to stay onsite, that is) and it does enhance my overall Disney visit, but I can definitely, totally see the benefits of saving the money and using it towards something else because the prices are so high to stay onsite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: