Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleWhipDVC
ARRGGGHHHH..... So I went over to Adorama and B&H to check on that great price. While there I'm reading lots of reviews that say the Sigma is unreliable, focuses poorly wide open, and may need to be sent back for recalibration of the lens if problems occur. I'm not sure I want to drop money on a lens that I may need to send back the first day I shoot with it. Also, this is a discontinued lens?

Photo chick makes a good point in saying the 1.4 is a small bump in performance over the 1.8. Now I'm wondering if it's even worth making the purchase. Anyone with experience with the Sigma 30mm 1.4 out there that may care to comment? Thanks!
Did the same thing, but fell a little better about the Sigma after reading this thread. Still probably won't get it, but the current deals make the choice more difficult.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Like I said, I just bought the Sigma 30 a few weeks ago. I ended up paying $289 after Amazon refunded me the difference from the $439 purchase price. I had ordered the Sigma and a Pentax 43 f1.9 limited for $589 because I wasn't sure if the Sigma was going to have focus issues on my new Pentax K-5II. I knew there was a chance it wouldn't focus right so I had a backup plan. In the end, I ended up returning the Pentax 43 and keeping the Sigma.

I did have to use a little in-camera focus adjusting because it front focused a tad. At $289, I think the lens is a steal even if you have to send it in for adjustment. Focusing at f1.4 has to be spot on because the focus is sooo shallow.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: