Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #31
LasseKjus
Mouseketeer

I've done spirit a couple of times, but their fees can really add up and make it not worthwhile. In my opinion, unless you get a seriously low fee on spirit, avoid it. I've done it three times, Chicago to Fort Lauderdale for a 3-day disney cruise (got five of us for a grand total of $325 round trip) and put all of our stuff in two carry ons, which they ultimately let us check for free. Did Chicago to Atlantic City for two for less than $100 RT total and did one carry-on bag. Did Chicago to Dallas for about $60 per person RT and again, shoved everything into one or two carry-on bags. If you have to check bags, it's not worth it. Plus you have to join the $9 fare club to get discounts on the checked/carry on bags. The fees really do add up.
LasseKjus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #32
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasseKjus
I've done spirit a couple of times, but their fees can really add up and make it not worthwhile. In my opinion, unless you get a seriously low fee on spirit, avoid it. I've done it three times, Chicago to Fort Lauderdale for a 3-day disney cruise (got five of us for a grand total of $325 round trip) and put all of our stuff in two carry ons, which they ultimately let us check for free. Did Chicago to Atlantic City for two for less than $100 RT total and did one carry-on bag. Did Chicago to Dallas for about $60 per person RT and again, shoved everything into one or two carry-on bags. If you have to check bags, it's not worth it. Plus you have to join the $9 fare club to get discounts on the checked/carry on bags. The fees really do add up.
Wow. Just my opinion but air travel shouldn't be that complicated.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
jacdolfin
Mouseketeer

Texas has 2 airports

Just FYI. Houston has 2 airports. There is IAH(Bush Intercontinental) the larger of the airports and there is Hobby. Hobby is smaller and has Southwest that flies there. You might be able to compare the prices by looking at both airports. Airfare is expensive to and from TX now to most places but I dont know why. I am from Texas hope this helps.
jacdolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdolfin
Just FYI. Houston has 2 airports. There is IAH(Bush Intercontinental) the larger of the airports and there is Hobby. Hobby is smaller and has Southwest that flies there. You might be able to compare the prices by looking at both airports. Airfare is expensive to and from TX now to most places but I dont know why. I am from Texas hope this helps.
I would like to fly Southwest but there's no DCL transport from Houston Hobby Airport, right? I think someone mentioned that? I'm
Not renting a car.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I'm going to check DCL's website. I'm thinking there's transportation from both. If so that helps.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I'm going to check DCL's website. I'm thinking there's transportation from both. If so that helps.
I heard on here that they are discontinuing transfers from HOU (Hobby) after May. You might want to call and ask. Right now they still have it. I have it scheduled for our April cruise. HTH

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids

I heard on here that they are discontinuing transfers from HOU (Hobby) after May. You might want to call and ask. Right now they still have it. I have it scheduled for our April cruise. HTH
Oh ok. I'll definitely have to call then.
Galveston seems so complicated!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #38
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post

Galveston seems so complicated!
Sadly so.

If you are flying home from Houston Hobby (HOU), I would book a mid-afternoon flight.

The security lines at HOU can be long and slow. We barely made a 2:30pm flight with just carry-ons. Others who had to check luggage did not make it in time for the flight.

YMMV

Woody
woody73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #39
crundell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Sadly so.

If you are flying home from Houston Hobby (HOU), I would book a mid-afternoon flight.

The security lines at HOU can be long and slow. We barely made a 2:30pm flight with just carry-ons. Others who had to check luggage did not make it in time for the flight.

YMMV

Woody
Wow, thanks for posting this. I have a late 7pm return flight so I have plenty of time, but it's good to know that I probably need to give a little extra time for security. Flying out of Reno I only go about an hour early and am past security and to the gate in no time.
crundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
green country
Earning My Ears

I think higher air prices are going to be the new norm. I remember years ago when an airline would start a fare war and every airline would have to discount their tickets to compete.
Now the competition is gone because all the airlines have merged into just a few.
green country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #41
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Sadly so.

YMMV

Woody
Oh NO. This might go badly then. I have a 12:15 flight. (It was later but Delta changed it a few weeks ago.) I also have DCL transfers and 4 kids to get though security with luggage. I am very worried we are not going to make that flight now.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #42
fatfish
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Oh NO. This might go badly then. I have a 12:15 flight. (It was later but Delta changed it a few weeks ago.) I also have DCL transfers and 4 kids to get though security with luggage. I am very worried we are not going to make that flight now.
On average its about 1 1/2 hours from Galveston to IAH. Its easier on a Saturday than a Friday. I45 is almost always under construction somewhere, and wrecks can and will happen at any time, causing a backup. If you are one of the first families off the ship you should be fine. If you are like me, and want to be the last one off the ship, you may run into problems.
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #43
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfish View Post
On average its about 1 1/2 hours from Galveston to IAH. Its easier on a Saturday than a Friday. I45 is almost always under construction somewhere, and wrecks can and will happen at any time, causing a backup. If you are one of the first families off the ship you should be fine. If you are like me, and want to be the last one off the ship, you may run into problems.
Thanks. We are flying out of Hobby, so that is a little closer, right? I think we will try to be the first off and hope for the best. I would hate to miss our flights.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #44
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Thanks. We are flying out of Hobby, so that is a little closer, right? I think we will try to be the first off and hope for the best. I would hate to miss our flights.
Hobby Airport is about 35-45 minutes away from Galveston I would say. I find it to be the easiest airport to travel in and out of (I'd much rather fly out of HOU than IAH for sure) but that's just my personal opinion. What day does the ship get in? Traffic on 45 is super heavy in the early morning during rush hour M-F but it gets better after 9 (assuming no accidents). Weekends should be fine.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - GFV, Disney Dream w/ BFF & BWV; Jan 2015 - WLV; August 2015 - Disney Fantasy
Ana~n~Joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #45
KappaSigHero
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by green country
I think higher air prices are going to be the new norm. I remember years ago when an airline would start a fare war and every airline would have to discount their tickets to compete.
Now the competition is gone because all the airlines have merged into just a few.
Truth. JetBlue moved out their low-price flights from Pittsburgh to NYC, and in return US Airways increased to cost almost 100%
KappaSigHero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: