Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?
You say she is frequently out ill.

Could there be a possibility that she has an immune problem? And that she does need people to watch their hygiene. We have three women in our office that are undergoing chemo for breast cancer and one that has an immune deficiency disorder. All of them need to be careful of hygiene. Besides her absences are between the boss and herself. If she is abusing the sick policy, the bosses know about it and will take care of it. If she has legitimate reasons to be out, it is none of your business why she is out. She could be very private about her health issues.

And if I knew somebody was toileting without washing their hands, I would welcome the notes and chip in with "Miss SmartyPants" for more pens and paper. That is just plain disgusting. I certainly would not want somebody touching donuts after they went to the bathroom without washing.

Personally, I would be more offended by the person in the office who tolerated poor hygiene and actually got irritated that somebody was trying to do something about it. Do you know for sure that your boss did not give her the OK to put the notes up?

Also, you claim she is uneducated and call her names because her last job was at Wal-Mart and now she is a $10.00 an hour bookkeeper. Yet she is a colleague of yours. So, what does that say about your "smarts?" I would be careful calling people names.

And now you are "suspicious" that she is setting up Wal-Mart for another claim. Really, you are WAY too invested in what this person is doing.

Your co-worker sounds like a leader. Whereas, people who tattle to bosses, call colleagues names, and start rumors about them (planning a new suit against Wal-Mart, her carpal tunnel is fake) are the ones considered busybodies and are often thought of being jealous and bitter. I would just start ignoring her and focusing on your own job.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 02-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
This person calls in sick most Mondays, giving themselves a three day weekend and causing OP to have to stay late to do her backup .
That would bug the heck out of me.
I understand that's what he OP said. How many sick days are they allowed? If it is within the rules then there is nothing wrong wtih it; right? As I said, if the OP is out sick would someone have to stay late to do her backup? I only get 2 -3 day weekends a year. How many does the OP get?
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

I would stop being so accommodating when she calls in sick if you now have to stay late. I would have a hard time saying no, but everytime it happens, make a bit more noise with your boss about just how much of a scramble it is for you. Your boss is more likely to then notice how inconvenient it is.

I rarely EVER call in sick on Mondays and Fridays. I have even gone so far as coming in and then turn around and go home an hour or two later. In our office, we notice when someone calls in sick on Mon/Fri (we make it a big joke). I would hate to have anyone in my office thinking I called in sick just to have an extended vacation.

I had one staff once that constantly took days off (part-timer) and we didn't pay attention to it for some time since she wasn't paid and then eventually it happened so often that I talked to her about it because it was getting unfair to the other staff. We quite discouraged taking days off as it messed up our scheduling - the other staff knew and bent over backwards not to take days off. I started saying no to her once I noticed and began tracking her requests.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen View Post
I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?
And your snobby point is?

Although it sounds like she is going overboard with her comments, it sounds like somebody needs the reminders. Seriously, if people have to be told to wash their dishes and pick up donuts with a napkin, I'd be concerned.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
I would stop being so accommodating when she calls in sick if you now have to stay late. I would have a hard time saying no, but everytime it happens, make a bit more noise with your boss about just how much of a scramble it is for you. Your boss is more likely to then notice how inconvenient it is.
Not a very professional suggestion. The only good that can come out of the OP complaining to the boss that she has extra work is that she will look bad and earn herself the distinction of not being a team player. If she just grumbles and "makes noise" about it as you suggest she do, it again will look like she is passive aggressive and jealous of her coworker.

99.99% of bosses will notice on their own if their employees are out every Monday.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #36
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma
First of all just because someone's last job was at Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are uneducated.

I would just ignore "smarty pants." She is probably a college graduate with no common sense.
Totally agree. The walmart comment was rude.

Aside from that, i think your coworker isn't doing anything wrong. She is taking the appropriate steps to remind ppl to WASH THEIR HANDS instead of ignoring the issue. I wouldn't have a problem with what she's doing.

Second of all, the fact that she's sick every Monday shouldn't affect you at all. just let her boss deal with it.

For what its worth, i work with ppl like that. Its VERY annoying I agree. Hang in there.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

If you aren't the one not washing your hands, or using napkins, or washing dishes without soap, what do you care.
I'd welcome someone "speaking" up about the hygiene issues in your office. She seems to be smarter than you give her credit for.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #38
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

I wanted to add that since she's calling in sick practically every Monday, chances are she's not really sick. That's a pattern you boss is probably noticing. The fact that you have to pick up her workload and stay late whenever she calls in sick isn't fair. I can understand picking up her workload, but staying late because of her isn't right. I would talk to your boss about that. You have a family, you have kids.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #39
amandamims
Earning My Ears

I don't see what her working at WalMart, her workmens comp claim, or how much she gets paid has anything to do with it. Maybe get your nose out of her businss and mind your own?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #40
Reddy
Scrapbooker

hmmm I think the next time she calls in sick - I would let the boss know that the person who picks up your kids is out of town so you can't stay late & do her back up

the person at my job that is driving me nuts leaves a mess that I have to clean up ever morning - how hard is it to put something back up when you use it. why leave several things where others trip over them.
how about breaking down boxes when you emtpy them?? why add those to your pile too??
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy
hmmm I think the next time she calls in sick - I would let the boss know that the person who picks up your kids is out of town so you can't stay late & do her back up
Great idea! This is what I would do as well. I never stay overtime. My boss knows this. At 330pm im out the door. You should let your boss know you can't stay. Good luck.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #42
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

The OP is cross and we all say things when we are cross. Her Walmart comment wasn't meant to offend, and she is only venting. It would be different if she said this to the coworker or other colleagues.

If someone went around telling you their way was better constantly, and interfered with things that were not their business, then generally you'd get annoyed. Being arrogant is an unattractive quality and can turn people's backs up. It sounds like this person does not suggest things constructively but force her opinion on everything.

I can relate to the OP as I have a 'friend' who is arrogant, (although she is also self absorbed and entitled too), and believes everything should be done her way. She criticizes me constantly, and makes comments about things. She thinks she is being 'cool' and everyone wants to hear what she says. Sometimes, I am close to screaming at her to shut up because the way she says things offends me and others. But I realize that ignoring her is the best thing to do, and it is good to know how to interact with these kinds of people.

As for not washing hands, I think that is disgusting. I wouldn't appreciate the notes though. If I had concerns I would take them to the coworker rather than making public statements. Signs and notes often don't make someone change their habits. It is a shame if you have to remind someone of that age to follow basic hygiene rules. The notes may be making the person uncomfortable and there may be a reason why they do not wash their hands.

It is obvious that this coworker is abusing her sickness leave- I mean what is the likelihood that she is unwell only on Mondays?! This affects the OP so she should be rightfully annoyed. You may have other obligations after work and finding child care for the children can cost a lot of money. Yes, she should have to cover for her colleague when she is occasionally ill but not regularly on Mondays. If it continues I would go to the boss and say it is really difficult for you because you have children, a husband and a home to get back to as well as other obligations.

OP, hang in there! I can't blame you for being annoyed, but ignoring it is really the best option. If she overrides authority or acts above you, then just be firm and set a boundary.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #43
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
The OP is cross and we all say things when we are cross. Her Walmart comment wasn't meant to offend, and she is only venting. It would be different if she said this to the coworker or other colleagues.

If someone went around telling you their way was better constantly, and interfered with things that were not their business, then generally you'd get annoyed. Being arrogant is an unattractive quality and can turn people's backs up. It sounds like this person does not suggest things constructively but force her opinion on everything.

I can relate to the OP as I have a 'friend' who is arrogant, (although she is also self absorbed and entitled too), and believes everything should be done her way. She criticizes me constantly, and makes comments about things. She thinks she is being 'cool' and everyone wants to hear what she says. Sometimes, I am close to screaming at her to shut up because the way she says things offends me and others. But I realize that ignoring her is the best thing to do, and it is good to know how to interact with these kinds of people.

As for not washing hands, I think that is disgusting. I wouldn't appreciate the notes though. If I had concerns I would take them to the coworker rather than making public statements. Signs and notes often don't make someone change their habits. It is a shame if you have to remind someone of that age to follow basic hygiene rules. The notes may be making the person uncomfortable and there may be a reason why they do not wash their hands.

It is obvious that this coworker is abusing her sickness leave- I mean what is the likelihood that she is unwell only on Mondays?! This affects the OP so she should be rightfully annoyed. You may have other obligations after work and finding child care for the children can cost a lot of money. Yes, she should have to cover for her colleague when she is occasionally ill but not regularly on Mondays. If it continues I would go to the boss and say it is really difficult for you because you have children, a husband and a home to get back to as well as other obligations.

OP, hang in there! I can't blame you for being annoyed, but ignoring it is really the best option. If she overrides authority or acts above you, then just be firm and set a boundary.

Unless you are the boss, it is not at all obvious she is abusing her sick leave. This woman could very well have permission to go to therapy, doctor's appts, meetings with her lawyers over the workman's comp claim, hearings on it, etc.

There may be very valid reasons why somebody takes some Mondays off here and there. The OP never said it was every Monday, just that she was out frequently and usually on a Monday. To me, especially with the Carpal tunnel and the workman's comp claim, I would immediately assume she had a standing Monday appt for something related to therapy or her workman's comp.

As long as the boss is approving her Monday's off, it is none of the OP's business. However, she can just leave when her shift is over.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #44
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post

Actually, the only reason I can think of to include the comment about Wal Mart is to offend. Where her co-worker worked in the past has absolutely no bearing on what is going on now. I used to be a cashier in a grocery store; does that make me less of a teacher now?

As far as being absent on Mondays, that is between the employee and her supervisor. If it causes a hardship for the OP, she would be well within her rights to speak to her supervisor about not being available due to childcare.

In 2010, there was a period of about six months when my husband was absent every other Friday. He has a chronic health condition that worsened and was receiving an infusion every other week. Friday was the day the clinic got him in. Our principal knew, and he was the only person told. It simply wasn't anyone else's business. I'm sure there were people who thought he was taking long weekends, but quite frankly, he doesn't answer to them.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherforhi View Post
In 2010, there was a period of about six months when my husband was absent every other Friday. He has a chronic health condition that worsened and was receiving an infusion every other week. Friday was the day the clinic got him in. Our principal knew, and he was the only person told. It simply wasn't anyone else's business. I'm sure there were people who thought he was taking long weekends, but quite frankly, he doesn't answer to them.
My husband was in the same boat for years -- Remicade for Crohn's. His doctor only did infusions on Tuesdays and Fridays. His boss preferred that he be in the office on Tuesdays (staff meeting day) and gave him the okay to be out on Fridays. And that was no one's business except the two of them.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: