Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
faith
DIS Veteran

Clutter and odors are a turn off.
If your older basement has mildew smell, Damp Rid is a great product.
Available Home Depot, probably lots of other stores.
Hope your house sells soon.
faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

wallpaper. If your house has a lot of wallpaper I'm not even going to give it a second thought especially wallpaper in the stair well.
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #48
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Having looked at the pictures, your home looks very cluttered. I would take everything down from the walls -- all the photos. Clear off the dresser in what looks like the daughter's room. Maybe even get rid of the ceiling fan - it looks out of place, it makes the room look smaller, and you don't need it in New England (at least not enough for it to be a selling point.) That thing that looks like a red and blue star - take that down. There's a room that looks like it's missing a closet door -- maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks in the photo. Either put a door on it or straighten out the shelves. And by straighten out, I mean empty them completely. Don't have anything on closet floors. Get rid of the chairs on your front lawn.

The pic that says hardwood floors, what is that? Three types of flooring? I can't tell what I'm looking at on the monitor but it looks weird.

Anyway, all of these changes are easy to make and will cost you $0.00.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #49
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue View Post
Can you post pictures of the bathrooms and kitchen? A house can be bought in a day or sit for a year based on the kitchen and baths.
both are outdated completely but everything matches.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #50
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
wallpaper. If your house has a lot of wallpaper I'm not even going to give it a second thought especially wallpaper in the stair well.
Good point. With an old house I'd be really concern about what the wall were like under the wallpaper. I've known quite a few people that thought they were in for a weekend wallpaper removal job and ended up having the horsehair crumble right off with the wallpaper.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I'm going to be brutally honest after looking at the pictures - mostly just nitpicky things.

1) Love love LOVE the master suite area!!! That gives you a huge edge over other homes.

2) The pictures on the walls have to go. They are cluttered and not even hanging straight, adding to the confusion. As another poster suggested, hang a mirror instead to create the illusion of a larger room. I'd go with a light neutral paint color too - that room is way too dark.

3) Do you have a plant and some books or something to go on the coffee table? The room just really looks too cold and stark.

4) The bedroom is way too cluttered. Stuff just stuffed into closet and in nightstand. Can you get some boxes and put that stuff away (under the bed or at a friend's?)

Really need to see your kitchen and bathrooms. That's what the majority of people will focus on.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #52
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Get rid of all pictures and personal items and anything smaller than a shoebox. As well as the ceiling fan. I'd paint a different color also.

I hated depersonalizing but when we went for a staged look the house sold. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Having looked at the pictures, your home looks very cluttered. I would take everything down from the walls -- all the photos. Clear off the dresser in what looks like the daughter's room. Maybe even get rid of the ceiling fan - it looks out of place, it makes the room look smaller, and you don't need it in New England (at least not enough for it to be a selling point.) That thing that looks like a red and blue star - take that down. There's a room that looks like it's missing a closet door -- maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks in the photo. Either put a door on it or straighten out the shelves. And by straighten out, I mean empty them completely. Don't have anything on closet floors. Get rid of the chairs on your front lawn.

The pic that says hardwood floors, what is that? Three types of flooring? I can't tell what I'm looking at on the monitor but it looks weird.

We have two different colors of rug squares on the floor and that one just shows what it looks like without the rugs. They will be up as soon as winter is over. All rugs will be pulled up as soon as it's warm enough. Much easier to clean then. Already cleaned out those shelves and it has a curtain over the front of it but it was down in the picture. The door next to it, to the right, is a walk in cedar closet.

I took these pictures this summer so it's not exactly how it looks now, bedrooms have been moved around.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #54
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

I don't understand where the master suite is: is it UNDER THE GARAGE? If so, I'd turn and walk out. Sorry, but it's true.

Edit: or is it an addition in the back? I can't tell.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #55
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Pets, Cigarette smell, filth. If the house is dirty and smelly it is an instant no. I don't mind clutter as people have to live. I don't mind toys as I thought it was nice to see how others set up the kids rooms as inspiration if I bought the house. Pictures and stuff didn't bother me either. I know this sounds weird but I liked to see that the people who lived there were happy. I wouldn't want a miserable house. Insane I know, but it's one of my "things"
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #56
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post

I disagree. I live in an area where it snows and is cold all the time, and I love ceiling fans and would be disappointed if a bedroom didn't have one... would be something I'd have to do.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #57
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
I don't understand where the master suite is: is it UNDER THE GARAGE? If so, I'd turn and walk out. Sorry, but it's true.

Edit: or is it an addition in the back? I can't tell.
I can't either. If the master is in the basement, that's a total deal breaker.

Honestly OP, the house would either have to be a steal, as in wayyyy under market price, or you would have to do a lot of work.

Total remodels of bathrooms and kitchens are very expensive. It's an older house that has had relatively little maintenance.

First, in order to make up for the half painted exterior, the interior would need to be pristine.

Minimally I think you should paint. That one room is very dark. It's a small room and that dark color closes it in more. The bedroom that is shown should be painted, too, and the wallpaper removed. Pick light, neutral paint colors that make the smaller rooms look larger. Clean out the clutter and the tchotchkes. Put a door on that closet.

If you have nice hardwoods, pull up those carpets and refinish the floors.

I don't even know what to tell you about the kitchen and bathrooms. Kitchens sell houses. If you watch any of the HGTV shows it's all about the kitchen.

Improve the curb appeal. Finish the painting. Clean up the yard. Add some landscaping.

The housing market is terrible. You either need to have something very special to offer, or a very cheap price.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #58
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I wouldn't want to be here for showing. This is how most of the rooms look. You can see colors. There are also floor plans, I know that is one thing I would love to know about a house I am buying before even looking. Some of the new houses just flow weird.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...bedsnewburyNH/

No smokers in the house and not allowed by visitors. Most windows have been replaced and all appliances and furnace and other stuff are less than 10 years old.
Just a few things I noticed in your pictures:

The ceiling in the first room shown has visible buckles in it. I don't know if it is shadows on the picture or if there is water damage. If I was looking at your house through realtor.com or some other one, I would probably continue to look and would only view your house if there were none others that looked better.

Straighten your pictures. Maybe it is the OCD in me, but seeing pictures hanging at skewed angles takes the focus off the room. Better yet, take them all down.

Put a nice vase of flowers on the coffee table to warm things up when you take the "official" pictures. Put a couple of pretty pillows on the couches. It is very brown, so looks a bit bland.

Take some of the personal stuff off the walls, such as the butterflies on the closet door. It is distracting.

Other than that, I can't see any major issues that would turn me off.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #59
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaDeVil View Post
Odors are a biggie with me. I can overlook a little clutter. I think it depends on what you are looking to put into the house. I am not against a little post-purchase reno, so I can overlook paint, wallpaper, carpet, etc. unless it's just really weird and hideous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsFan View Post
Odors would be a huge turn-off for me (smell of cigarettes, pet odors). Clutter, wallpaper, paint colors, too much furniture don't bother me. The owners will be taking their stuff with them, and I can paint and strip wallpaper with the best of them. The "bones" of the house are more important - does it have a good roof, good furnace, is the structure sound - that kind of thing ranks highest for me.
This is me. Strong odors are pretty much the only turn off for me. Depending on the house itself, I can deal with almost everything else. DH and I even bought a house that had wallpaper on the inside of the exterior doors (to match the decor) and all the solid interior doors, including the one to the bathroom, had been replaced with 2 piece doors. It also had a new driveway that was about 5 inches higher than the floor of the garage, rendering the garage useless for its intended purpose. There were quite a few other funky things going on, but...it had good bones, was in a decent neighborhood, and had a GREAT price!

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

If I may, how much do you plan to list your home at?
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: